test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Harbinger Problems

rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Missions and Content
Well, considering I'm on the other side of the planet and you might not care about someone having 300+ Ping but trying to eliminate those aircraft around harbinger is virtually impossible as a Melee Class, can't you do something to compensate for this? make them stop or something?
Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
Post edited by rtma on

Comments

• Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I believe that the official solution is to get a vehicle, and shoot them. After all, it WAS advertised as being designed for vehicles, with "or high-powered characters" being added later.

You can buy a vehicle with Zen, of farm Questionite for Zen, or save Globals to buy keys and hope to get lucky, or buy keys to stock up on Drifter Salvage, or buy one off the Auction House. Or you could farm the event with a different character until you get the Lemurian Tank and pass it to the melee character.

If you're freeform, you could retcon into one or two ramged powers. Sadly, this isn't an option for ATs.

There's also the possibility of devices. I know there are at least a few ranged devices, though I'm unsure if any do sufficient DPS to help in this fight.
    edited March 2013
    Pick the UNTILHoverDisc, fly around, let ranged deal the aircrafts, profit.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I suppose that works too. I was trying to provide options that allow you to participate though. :P :D
    edited March 2013
    Go to Lemuria, gather Cnidaria Shale Coral, Metamorphic Laminaria Kelp, Lamellae Filament make the underwater breathing compound. Jump in the water, dive to Harbinger, stay under water whole fight.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The BIGGEST issue I find when catching up to the exocets was that movement powers getting interrupted by them flying out of range mid lunge.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    rtma wrote: »
    Well, considering I'm on the other side of the planet and you might not care about someone having 300+ Ping but trying to eliminate those aircraft around harbinger is virtually impossible as a Melee Class, can't you do something to compensate for this? make them stop or something?

The trick is to use a 100' attack that can be tapped. I've found that if I can get at least 1 hit in, they'll often turn around to attack me, at which point fighting them is much easier. There's also a building off to one side where they tend to group up/get caught, so you can try there.

As a last "option", you can simply let others get the fighters and just help w/ the straight damage-dealing phase...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, that and the fact that you have to be close enough to lick the harbinger in order to ranged dps it. Even in a vehicle. Does he even have a tell for his aoe? If so, I've never seen it.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was hoping this was going to be a joke thread.
    Don't you hate it that right after the ritual of summoning a bunch of heroes come and turn you back to seaweed and rock? Harbinger Problems
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    IMO as a melee you really shouldn't be chasing down those Exocets in the first place. It's more efficient to let the flyers do their job while at least one melee character uses taunts on the Harbinger to keep it distracted.

Considering the boss is so huge that ranged attacks are pretty much melee range on it, melee characters are in a better position to DPS the boss down, and therefore more likely to hold aggro too.

Conversely, if you're holding aggro it's really not a good idea to switch to a vehicle and start hunting Exocets while getting slapped by invisible tentacles with hacktastic range.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    selphea wrote: »
    melee character uses taunts on the Harbinger to keep it distracted.

Melee =/= tank

All the MDPS toons are increasingly ignored and marginalized.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The game wasn't even built around a trinity. Characters are only "Tanks" or "Healers" or "DPS" because the situation calls for it, hence the option to switch roles.

My 400+ PRE AoPM support is a de facto "Tank" in the Harbinger fight simply because it likes to focus on her due to Gas Pellets aggro. So when the Exocets come I just chill there and heal myself to keep it busy while the others shoot them down.

I thought that's how it works in the comics too. Just because Wolverine is more durable doesn't mean he can stare at a bunch of Sentinels funny and expect them to magically go for him. If they decide to go for Emma Frost she just pops diamond form and distracts them while the others rip them apart.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    One possibility might be to tab-select a fighter, hit F to follow it, then use a lunge when within range to get close enough to hurt it. Assumes you have one of the rental hover disks or the like.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!