test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mechaniste

kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
What the hell is going on in this fight? It starts out fine enough, then suddenly things start getting wacky. I mean really, really wacky. Mechaniste suddenly heals himself over and over, and I have all these turrets I have to destroy. I die a lot. And when I return to the room, I instantly get held and damaged. Over and over and over.

Eventually I managed to beat him but I still couldn't even figure out what on earth was happening in that room. Did Jack Emmert design this stupid fight personally?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What the hell is going on in this fight? It starts out fine enough, then suddenly things start getting wacky. I mean really, really wacky. Mechaniste suddenly heals himself over and over, and I have all these turrets I have to destroy. I die a lot. And when I return to the room, I instantly get held and damaged. Over and over and over.

Eventually I managed to beat him but I still couldn't even figure out what on earth was happening in that room. Did Jack Emmert design this stupid fight personally?

The biggest killer in that room isn't Mechaniste or his turrets, it's the floor. Sometimes the floor gets put on the kill setting and there's neither an indicator nor a graphic to go along with it.

If he's healing like crazy it might due to a buggy AI + LOS issue. For some time now he's taken to just standing in the middle of the room and attacking at range. Hiding behind a wall ends up resetting him and he heals back up accordingly.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The.... floor? I beg your pardon?
    edited March 2013
    The.... floor? I beg your pardon?

At certain points in the fight the floor gets electrified or whatever and start frying people. No joke. You have to either take flight or stand on top of a wall to avoid it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited March 2013
    But I ...was.... flying....
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Stand on the tetris blocks that surround him.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited March 2013
    Fine, I'll remember all that for the next characters that go through that silly mission.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This mission is attempting to teach the player two lessons:
    • Sometimes it's best to just drop the boss quickly and pay no heed to the pets
    • Beware of environmental damage sources (the floor)

It's design is actually an homage to a Sonic the Hedgehog boss fight from the Sega Genesis (if you're old enough to remember that console & game)
    edited March 2013
    I do remember them, but never owned them. I had a SNES instead. And the implementation of such a lesson is frankly a poor one.
  • atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've never had any trouble with this fight (unless it seriously bugs out). At 2/3 he activates his deep freeze thing. Block and hide behind a wall until it's done, then walk at and pummel him. Ignore the turrets.

He does it again at 1/3. Just repeat what you did when he was at 2/3.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ...the implementation of such a lesson is frankly a poor one.

Can't argue there. :wink:
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If he's healing like crazy it might due to a buggy AI + LOS issue. For some time now he's taken to just standing in the middle of the room and attacking at range. Hiding behind a wall ends up resetting him and he heals back up accordingly.

I've battled him recently and can confirm that it's bugged.
    He can heal himself instantly even when you're standing right in front of him, within his LOS.

As for the floor, if he starts charging up his attack which freezes the area, I just keep blocking until all of the ice is gone.
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dear Mechaniste,

I am not your friend, guy!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • variatasvariatas Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Recently redid this mission. Just gatling gunned through the nearby turret, ignored the deep freeze (he only got one XD) and dropped him without even needing to heal. So, definitely variable difficulty. I'm pretty sure the last time I fought him it wasn't nearly so one-sided, gatling gun with concentration is just silly.
    edited March 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    I've battled him recently and can confirm that it's bugged.
    He can heal himself instantly even when you're standing right in front of him, within his LOS.

As for the floor, if he starts charging up his attack which freezes the area, I just keep blocking until all of the ice is gone.

I ran one of my near-level lowbies through there last night to see if I could bug it out and saw the same thing happen. Middle of his room, right in his face and he started healing like a certain badly written mutant. Luckily it didn't seem to last.
    edited March 2013
    So... bugged then. Figures. That makes a whole lot more sense. But deep freeze? That makes more sense about what I was experiencing until I finally dropped him. Except hiding behind things didn't work. As I explained, I could return to the room with no line of sight with him and... instant freeze hold.