test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legion Gear Lockboxes

l1ghtstarl1ghtstar Posts: 189 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Since Lockboxes are the way these folks want to make money, why not have Legion gear boxes instead of vehicle lockboxes?

Are the vehicle lockboxes even selling?

I rather spend my whole income tax on Legion Gear Lockboxes xD
Light Star Alliance (my toons with build guides & videos)
Nature Powerset
@Man.of.Light
Post edited by l1ghtstar on

Comments

• jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hush. Now.

They could be reading this.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think Cryptic regrets releasing Legion gear in the first place. It only complicates power balance.

And the only way to make it go away is to wait for the level cap increase when that four slot gear becomes obsolete.
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    l1ghtstar wrote: »
    Since Lockboxes are the way these folks want to make money, why not have Legion gear boxes instead of vehicle lockboxes?

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=719071

Uh...bro? :rolleyes:
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think Cryptic regrets releasing Legion gear in the first place. It only complicates power balance.

And the only way to make it go away is to wait for the level cap increase when that four slot gear becomes obsolete.

Agreed. It broke power balance even more than Silver Champion items did when they were launched with On Alert.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2013

*raises hand*

Helloooo already suggest awhile ago:
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=207121

This was a good compromise. The lack of support seems to indicate any number of the following possibilities:
    • Too many players expect it good odds for free
    • Too many of PerfectWorld's executives are greedy
    • Too few people really read the suggestions forum, including the devs and the community manager. Not that the gameplay bugs forum isn't in a similar situation... sad really.
    • There are too many dumb suggestions or suggestions that are too extreme & expensive to every happen in reality; all other good suggestions get burried beneath the dirt.
    • People hate lockboxes and consequently hate this suggestion based on its title alone, never realizing it might actually benefit themselves

Meh but whatever, if forum readers don't like lockboxes, they don't like them.

As was brought up in my "Keys." topic (use forum search), keys are the most profitable thing Cryptic ever did with C.O.

And the only way to make it go away is to wait for the level cap increase when that four slot gear becomes obsolete

I wouldn't be suprised if you're right about them regretting it.

It certainly did upset the game mechanics, and slam the scales to the too-extreme side of pay-to-win (which is a VERY bad thing in the long run).

Futhermore, it greatly depressed the value of mods on the AH, hurting many, many sellers -- which created a shockwave in the in-game economy. This made the lucky gamblers, weathlier; and the unlucky gamblers or those that refused to gamble, poorer.

Talk about a mess...
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why wasn't this posted in the Suggestion Box anyway?
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Futhermore, it greatly depressed the value of mods on the AH, hurting many, many sellers -- which created a shockwave in the in-game economy. This made the lucky gamblers, weathlier; and the unlucky gamblers or those that refused to gamble, poorer.

Actually, I noticed a Diablo 3-style AH-flipping market trend. Even if you don't get lucky with lockboxes, you can make Gs by price-fixing mods. Very often I see Rank 7 mods below a certain value disappearing from the AH en masse, then reappearing at a higher price shortly after.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I only have 1 piece of legion gear, i barely see the poitn of getting any when the current content on elite is already easy enough with green gear slotted with rank 3-4 mods.

Id be much happier them releasing this sort of gear, if only the higher end difficulty levels were majorly increased to compensate.

The gear is out...where is the challenge now?
  • yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited February 2013

/signed.. have to agree. If I'm going to pay for lockboxes bring back the Tackofanes Caches instead of these vehicle ones. Most of us at least got useful Legion Gear and stacks of Mods, with the vechicle ones I only get drifter salvage.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Id be much happier them releasing this sort of gear, if only the higher end difficulty levels were majorly increased to compensate.

It might be easy for you, but not everyone is an expert player or uses an "ultimate" build. Sure, waiting for the likes of Kigatilik to spawn is much more difficult than fighting them, which is sad of course. But I wouldn't want CO to swing in the other directiong again either, so you couldn't possibly survive certain content without the best gear or build there is.
    edited February 2013
    It might be easy for you, but not everyone is an expert player or uses an "ultimate" build.

tumblr_luepnyZoGU1qdzwu3.gif

....atleast I think something was implied there lol. If not, CARRY ON!! :biggrin:
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I only have 1 piece of legion gear, i barely see the poitn of getting any when the current content on elite is already easy enough with green gear slotted with rank 3-4 mods.

Bah.. you were telling us CO was too easy before On Alert much less Legion gear

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is there some "Secret misson" left over somewhere so i can farm Takofanes boxes?

Or was that just a dream i had? Nvm. :rolleyes:
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There still a lot of tako cache on sale in AH, obviously not as cheap as they were, or as cheap as the vehicle ones, but theres allways well over a hundred at around 10g each.

Since the keys are 100g anyway the cost is only 10% higher than if you got them in a drop.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bah.. you were telling us CO was too easy before On Alert much less Legion gear

It is too easy :P

'insert many videos here of crappy builds doing everything without any problems'
    edited February 2013
    yogid0nnie wrote: »
    /signed.. have to agree. If I'm going to pay for lockboxes bring back the Tackofanes Caches instead of these vehicle ones. Most of us at least got useful Legion Gear and stacks of Mods, with the vechicle ones I only get drifter salvage.

No, don't bring those back as-is...

Bring back this instead:
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...d.php?t=207121

selphea wrote: »
    Actually, I noticed a Diablo 3-style AH-flipping market trend. Even if you don't get lucky with lockboxes, you can make Gs by price-fixing mods. Very often I see Rank 7 mods below a certain value disappearing from the AH en masse, then reappearing at a higher price shortly after.

That isn't unique to Diablo 3... And I was a sizable part in that trend for sure.

Easy way to make profits on the AH, don't get mad if somebody undercuts your price by a wide margin, as long as that margin is more than 5% you can buy their stuff and resell it for more. Instead of getting frustrated, see it as they were foolish and just gave you free gold.

But...

The trick is it has to be an appreciating/increasing market with limited supply. If the supply is continually being refreshed or flooded and the average price is dropping, you're going to loose gold and end up with a huge supply of identical stuff that you'll have to wait to sell back.

Buying up a market is part art, part science, part good-timing luck.

For example, I had a big role to play in setting the initial price of Dark Auras so high, I bought up the entire market two weeks after the Blood Moon ended (in 2011).

PvP.

Except that Legion Gear further widens the gap between learned experience and just pay-to-win, and between newbie & veteran. Those veterans that are highly experienced AND pay hundreds of dollars to win will be on top. The learning curve is steeper; the gear gap is wider.

Also PvP lacks Questionite rewards...
    edited February 2013
    'insert many videos here of crappy builds doing everything without any problems'

Wow... Ok look... (trying to reason with you here)

Some people like min/maxing with a "whatever works" Flavor-of-the-Month.

Many people, including myself, like making strong theme-based builds (i.e.: doesn't fail in intensely demanding combat, but could be stronger if I broke theme entirely and went with the latest FotM solutions, or glitch exploits).

This is why I pretty much always have tended to prefer PvE over PvP, because to truly pwn people in competitive PvP you're going to need to use one of those two or three FotM min/max builds. More power to you if you can beat somebody with a non-PvP-optimized build, but if you want to be seriously competitive you got to have the best. ("no kidding" right?)

If people want to do that, ok sure...

But who the f*** are you to talk down to those with a "crappy build" and make the determination what qualifies as a "crappy build"?!

Before you throw a childish hissy fit at me again, let me suggest instead a proactive way to look at it, what I often tell people:
    "There's no wrong way to make a freeform build, but there are ways you can make a build better & stronger!"

See? This way you are encouraging people to improve, or learn the system so they don't rely on cheap tricks. It's positive, instead of negative.

Now if one who hears advice from an experienced player such as you or I chooses not to use certain powers because it's not visually in-theme with the character design, that's the player's call. For me, I'll try to explain why they should use it, and if they ignore me that's totally ok. Odds are they'll end up taking up my suggestion down the road anyways. :tongue:

Thus I strongly object to your choice of words, it comes off as you are insulting many players with your displayed attitude (intentional or not). So please reconsider your wording.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I sometimes feel "why we have to pay for both key & takobox?"... :frown:
    edited February 2013
    Let me add to the above that yes I realize some people are truly god-aweful in Alerts, and some just don't try at all with no consideration for others (i.e.: leechers).

Some players a frankly terribly lazy or terribly inexperienced (i.e.: my fiance), but that doesn't connect with their build.

I'd wager that an experienced veteran could do a lot more than the average player even if forced to use a "crappy build" (i.e.: Mind archetype), provided said veteran could also get good gear and devices. I certainly know I could. Therefore, I say the build and the player's personal skills or teamwork skills do NOT necessarily correlate!

monaahiru wrote: »
    I sometimes feel "why we have to pay for both key & takobox?"... :frown:

Because history shows us Cryptic rarely does a full cause&effect-analysis to find potential unforseen consequences before they make a hasty decision?

Just a thought... and not a very satisfying one (but has a lot of evidence).
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited February 2013

And I'm not sure how legion gear makes any difference. But for the sake of argument; you know why this game is 'easy'.

With the huge variety of builds possible for free-form, the majority of possible combinations have to be viable and do well or the variety is pointless.

Also, the less flexible Archetypes have to be able to complete the -exact same- content free-forms use.

So legion gear isn't making that arrangement any different.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think that soon takofanes lockboxes will be making a comeback...OR....

We get a lockbox called Lockbox of Secret Treasures, which has a chance to grant us 3 of Takofanes, Grav Bike or Hover Tank lockboxes so we could get 1T and 2GB or 2T and 1HT, 3T/GB/HT etc..

But to make it fair, the lockbox of secret treasures would be free to open, and would drop normally.

Anyway, I'm sure Cryptic knows that it's key prices would sky rocket if they put Takofanes Lockboxes back in game...especially with my luck :3
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Anyway, I'm sure Cryptic knows that it's key prices would sky rocket if they put Takofanes Lockboxes back in game...especially with my luck :3

Funny thing, I agree with you. It hasn't been long, but lockboxes now just seem a regular part of the game, and the Tako boxes were the best ones offered.

If they went back into rotation, people would be buying keys like nobody's business.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Funny thing, I agree with you. It hasn't been long, but lockboxes now just seem a regular part of the game, and the Tako boxes were the best ones offered.

If they went back into rotation, people would be buying keys like nobody's business.

Lock boxes are still a thorn in my side. I still have a bunch of tako boxes in the bank I have been opening slowly, they are the only one worth opening so far. I have probably spent the equivalent of $150, for two measly pieces of gear.
    edited February 2013
    IN MY OPINION!...

OPINION! BTW...just stressing that...

Gear in this game makes a build just "easier" to play. Higher number performance makes for less stress on the player since the gear is doing it's job and making the game even easier.

Let's say you have an awesome build using rank 4 mods, and you can do many things easily. Well that's awesome!

Now take that same build, and equip rank 9 mods. It makes a massive difference. Sometimes to the point where you can even alter your build to get rid of somethings that are now deemed unnecessary because of the performance in numbers the gear is providing to now cover the gap that the rank 4 mods couldn't without using other abilities.

Try to understand what I'm trying to say haha. I got it in my brain but I can't find a way to word it better :tongue:.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Balance discussions aside, I would much rather see decent loot (assuming that there's at least some sort of way to get them or equivalent drops through regular game play) in lockboxes than exclusive content you can't get any other way.

I posted this at the NWO forums on a discussion on lockboxes, so I figured I'd copy part of it here since its sort of relevant to this discussion (though, I'm not sure how these views apply to Legion Gear since I understand* its exclusive to lockboxes, which still goes against my views on this matter):

As I understand it in some games (like DCUO and GW2), lockboxes only give you decent loot that can also be acquired through regular play and/or buffs. While I despise the idea of gambling in video games, I think this is ok because it gives a guaranteed good loot drop for a token amount of real money, which makes it a form of "pay for convenience".

The guaranteed loot is useful, since you could use it for your character or sell for lots of in-game cash you could use to buy something else. But at the same time its something you could potentially get by grinding in-game through regular gameplay, which means that lockboxes aren't mandatory to get the items, and relaxes the pressure of buying lockboxes in order to get what's inside them. You can simply and trully buy them as "your choice" as a matter of convenience to guarantee your chances to get good drops, with a chance to get some of the best drops in the game.

The problem with Cryptic lockboxes is that they gate highly desirable, exclusive new content (like ships, vehicles, costumes, etc.) behind them that you cannot get ANY other way. So instead of selling that content through the cash shop as they once did for a straight, reasonable price, they make you gamble an indeterminable amount of money (sometimes up to hundreds of dollars) for the chance to maybe get it. So they effectively force you to participate in gambling (something some people find morally repugnant and might even be against their religion or philosophical believes) in order to get new content.

Cryptic uses the very worse and IMO despicable, money grubbing practices in the MMO industry when it comes to lockboxes.

*though, I don't know since I refuse to gamble or even contribute to the gambling cycle in any way, including selling the boxes at the AH
    Why wasn't this posted in the Suggestion Box anyway?

No one reads the Suggestion Box forum (except for the ones that post there, but they don't count :tongue:).

I was only half joking on the topic, as I'm sure most of you know that it is crazy to spend all of the income tax on a game xD

Anyways, since I was only playing around, the original idea that I had in-game was that to have an exclusive Legion Gear lockbox that grants only, not mods, become devices like the tako cache of treasures. With only legion gear in such lockbox, the chances of receiving a legion gear can be increased. A specific legion gear piece will still be up to chance, as there's all sorts of variations of Legion Gear.

All these are just thoughts, not really caring to put too much thought into this thread. =p
    Light Star Alliance (my toons with build guides & videos)
    Nature Powerset
    @Man.of.Light
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The problem with Cryptic lockboxes is that they gate highly desirable, exclusive new content (like ships, vehicles, costumes, etc.) behind them that you cannot get ANY other way. So instead of selling that content through the cash shop as they once did for a straight, reasonable price, they make you gamble an indeterminable amount of money (sometimes up to hundreds of dollars) for the chance to maybe get it. So they effectively force you to participate in gambling (something some people find morally repugnant and might even be against their religion or philosophical believes) in order to get new content.

Cryptic uses the very worse and IMO despicable, money grubbing practices in the MMO industry when it comes to lockboxes.

*though, I don't know since I refuse to gamble or even contribute to the gambling cycle in any way, including selling the boxes at the AH

I think the point of contention here is what I have highlighted in bold. What is considered a reasonable price? To Cryptic, that piece of Legion Gear maybe worth USD$50 or USD$100. However, putting it up at such a price upfront tends to mean people will not be willing to pay for it. Getting the keys is sort of like an instalment plan except sometimes the instalment takes longer. There are people who buy the keys with Zens and sell them for in game currency. There are also people who are willing to pay Zen to buy questionites. Either way, it does not mean that players can only obtain keys by cash. However, it is true that someone has to pay cash at some point to buy Zen to get the keys or the questionites. This ensures that there is revenue being generated for the company. Is it the worst sort? I can assure you it is not. There are other more grindy and money grabbing tactics employed by MMOs. P2W is a quick and easy way to earn certainly.

As to the morality and ethics of gambling, well that's a whole different level. Undeniably, the principles of gambling are certainly evident in the lockboxes. I guess the only way around it to obtain such "content" while not taking part will be to buy them from others who sell the devices/gears etc which they obtained from the lockboxes for in-game currency. Of course, a system could be set up where such devices are sold on ebay and people can pay real cash for it I guess. As such, there is not a need to impose anyone's belief system on another. Those who do not wish to gamble can choose not to gamble and no one can force them to. Those who loves to gamble on the lockboxes can continue to gamble on them.

Perhaps as an alternative, the gear can also be sold on the Z store. But be assured it will not be anything cheap (think 5000 zen and up).
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2013

With all due respect . . . but who gives a ****?

Seriously, this game's main issue is lack of NEW content and zones.

Let's deal with that first please.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the point of contention here is what I have highlighted in bold. What is considered a reasonable price? To Cryptic, that piece of Legion Gear maybe worth USD$50 or USD$100. However, putting it up at such a price upfront tends to mean people will not be willing to pay for it. Getting the keys is sort of like an instalment plan except sometimes the instalment takes longer. There are people who buy the keys with Zens and sell them for in game currency. There are also people who are willing to pay Zen to buy questionites. Either way, it does not mean that players can only obtain keys by cash. However, it is true that someone has to pay cash at some point to buy Zen to get the keys or the questionites. This ensures that there is revenue being generated for the company. Is it the worst sort? I can assure you it is not. There are other more grindy and money grabbing tactics employed by MMOs. P2W is a quick and easy way to earn certainly.

As to the morality and ethics of gambling, well that's a whole different level. Undeniably, the principles of gambling are certainly evident in the lockboxes. I guess the only way around it to obtain such "content" while not taking part will be to buy them from others who sell the devices/gears etc which they obtained from the lockboxes for in-game currency. Of course, a system could be set up where such devices are sold on ebay and people can pay real cash for it I guess. As such, there is not a need to impose anyone's belief system on another. Those who do not wish to gamble can choose not to gamble and no one can force them to. Those who loves to gamble on the lockboxes can continue to gamble on them.

Perhaps as an alternative, the gear can also be sold on the Z store. But be assured it will not be anything cheap (think 5000 zen and up).

I would not mind if the item is up on the store AND in lockboxes. That way there is a choice.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It might be easy for you, but not everyone is an expert player or uses an "ultimate" build.

Let's stop this. Stacking dodge on top of any passive in the game and then adding adequate healing is hardly "ultimate" but enough for damn near anything the game offers on elite. People make it sound like rocket science or uber-building but my 12 year old and his buddies don't have issues doing it so it can't be that intense.

The game is easy, even on elite. The discussion on if easy is a bad thing is another matter altogether.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    IN MY OPINION!...

OPINION! BTW...just stressing that...

Gear in this game makes a build just "easier" to play. Higher number performance makes for less stress on the player since the gear is doing it's job and making the game even easier.

Let's say you have an awesome build using rank 4 mods, and you can do many things easily. Well that's awesome!

Now take that same build, and equip rank 9 mods. It makes a massive difference. Sometimes to the point where you can even alter your build to get rid of somethings that are now deemed unnecessary because of the performance in numbers the gear is providing to now cover the gap that the rank 4 mods couldn't without using other abilities.

Try to understand what I'm trying to say haha. I got it in my brain but I can't find a way to word it better :tongue:.

Agreed. 10 Char
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    I would not mind if the item is up on the store AND in lockboxes. That way there is a choice.

Exactly,

Having gambling as the only alternative is nothing but sleazy money grubbing. Having the alternative to pay up a transparent (preferably reasonable/sane*) price along with the gambling option at least makes it seem like the gambling option gives you the chance to "win" a more expensive item for the low, low price of only $1. But right now, its like they're asking you to gamble your life savings** away for the chance to maybe get a single virtual good that doesn't even have a production cost.

*as in not expecting to get more than the full price of a whole freaking B2P or single player game for a single minor feature, game option or virtual good.
    **yes, this is hyperbole. But the amount of money some people end up having to spend to get items this way is nothing short of beyond the pale ridiculous for what's being offered.