test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please add at least one Hero Game Map as "On Alert" Icons

monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Suggestions Box
We got many newbie players after Alert patch but I'm sure no newbie players can find out "Hero Games" from that tiny Button and Tab.

How about adding one random Hero Game map in "On Alert" Icons that shown up as one of small "mini map" in rearrange menu? (We have 2 "mini map"s now.)

I think this isn't so bad idea as suggestion. How do you think? COPvP has much more potential then Devs think. Those are very good contents.

By this way Cryptic & PW can sell not only keys but also bunch of "Retrain Token"s in Zen store. Let's do some business! :D
Post edited by monaahiru on

Comments

• Options
    ssplainssplain Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is an AMAZING idea. If this was done and a Questionite / Acclaim daily like what is done for the other Alerts is added then the problem of zero pvp would be fixed! People would queue up often to get dailies done and essentially there would always be some pvp going on.

Genius.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You haven't seen empty Ao and Pyramid power queues before, even when they are the only alerts available, have you?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    amyjiaamyjia Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You haven't seen empty Ao and Pyramid power queues before, even when they are the only alerts available, have you?

The difference is those alerts are empty because people have experienced them and choose not to queue for them.

Some people do know about hero games and choose not to queue, but there are also some people who don't know about hero games at all. At least with this idea, it would make the hero games more accessible so more people would have knowledge of their existence and maybe even try them.:redface:
  • Options
    dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    amyjia wrote: »
    The difference is those alerts are empty because people have experienced them and choose not to queue for them.

Some people do know about hero games and choose not to queue, but there are also some people who don't know about hero games at all. At least with this idea, it would make the hero games more accessible so more people would have knowledge of their existence and maybe even try them.:redface:

This would exactly be the effect once some players found out they'd been bait-and-switched into PVP, so while you would get some initial bites, the ultimate end result would be the same, except for hungry PVPers and a LOT more whining about nerfing this or that power once they've experienced it being used against them instead of for them.
  • Options
    dredrieldredriel Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I must say that I don't think this should happen, as dynamech stated this will only lead to more noobs whining about nerfing specific powers and to be honest if anyone really wanted to PVP they would find where to PVP. It takes a very simple question in zone chat and you then know how.

Don't get me wrong however, I will agree that pvp needs some major changes. However shoving it into new players faces is just going to result in low level players attempting to pvp and failing, then they will either whine or never pvp again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Check out my Music based powerset here.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ssplain wrote: »
    This is an AMAZING idea. If this was done and a Questionite / Acclaim daily like what is done for the other Alerts is added then the problem of zero pvp would be fixed! People would queue up often to get dailies done and essentially there would always be some pvp going on.

Genius.

Also, this. A daily PVP grind is OK if it's not restrictive, but if it becomes part of the Smashes / Bursts / Grabs / APB rotation, it'll just lead to hard feelings with people who don't want to PVP.

This begs the question of "Do you have to win the PVP to get credit?" as you would with the regular Smashes / Grabs / Bursts.

If you do, then you're going to have uninterested PVPers (toons who are not spec'd to do maximum PVPage, people who have no interest or skill in PVPing) drag a team down either by doing nothing or doing things poorly.

If you don't need to win, then why bother? Just to soak up 2m or so of playtime so that a person who can't / doesn't want PVP can get beat up (and still 'lose' for the team which, though it doesn't matter, will still set people on edge?) Will there be standard star-penalties for PVP Alerts or no penalties at all (again begging the question of if it doesn't matter, why bother?)

Now, having new alerts that use PVP maps (like a mini Nemcon with normally-powered Nemeses and a few minions in the cage match) might be OK ... but the idea of making fully-PVP alerts seems to have much greater potential for negative results than positive ones.
  • Options
    herpdurphurpderpherpdurphurpderp Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It would be nice for more attention to be brought to the hero games pvp, and it would be nice to have as an alert, but I don't know if PW would want to do that due to the storyline of the game and such. Alerts is like... villain alerts, heroes are called to go beat up a legendary super villain for a reward. Being called to go fight other super heroes for entertainment (rather than beating up a threat, which has story purpose) doesn't make sense, however, it would still be very nice if PW could bring MUCH more attention to hero games. PvP is a very important part of an MMO in general, and it should be embraced, not ignored.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    [...]

The same thing could be said of the Hero Games queues.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    amyjiaamyjia Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dynamech wrote: »
    This would exactly be the effect once some players found out they'd been bait-and-switched into PVP, so while you would get some initial bites, the ultimate end result would be the same, except for hungry PVPers and a LOT more whining about nerfing this or that power once they've experienced it being used against them instead of for them.
    1. There is no "bait and switch" if the alert is identified as PvP. The whole point is making the hero games more accessible and identifiable, not tricking people.

2. There will always be "whining" for one reason or another. That doesn't mean that increasing accessibility to a part of the game is a bad idea.

dynamech wrote: »
    Also, this. A daily PVP grind is OK if it's not restrictive, but if it becomes part of the Smashes / Bursts / Grabs / APB rotation, it'll just lead to hard feelings with people who don't want to PVP.

This begs the question of "Do you have to win the PVP to get credit?" as you would with the regular Smashes / Grabs / Bursts.

If you do, then you're going to have uninterested PVPers (toons who are not spec'd to do maximum PVPage, people who have no interest or skill in PVPing) drag a team down either by doing nothing or doing things poorly.

If you don't need to win, then why bother? Just to soak up 2m or so of playtime so that a person who can't / doesn't want PVP can get beat up (and still 'lose' for the team which, though it doesn't matter, will still set people on edge?) Will there be standard star-penalties for PVP Alerts or no penalties at all (again begging the question of if it doesn't matter, why bother?)

Now, having new alerts that use PVP maps (like a mini Nemcon with normally-powered Nemeses and a few minions in the cage match) might be OK ... but the idea of making fully-PVP alerts seems to have much greater potential for negative results than positive ones.

1. No one would be forced to PvP just like no one is forced to do alerts. Once again, the point is just accessibility.

2. PvP, (unlike alerts) are separated into leveling tiers, so new low level characters can try PvP with others around their levels and learn how to handle their characters in PvP better.

3. In Smash Alerts, you have to win to get the prize exp. (although you do still get exp for any misc. enemies you defeat in the instance.) In the hero games though, you don't necessarily have to be "the winner" to get exp, acclaim, etc. It's just the winner usually gets more.
    dredriel wrote: »
    I must say that I don't think this should happen, as dynamech stated this will only lead to more noobs whining about nerfing specific powers and to be honest if anyone really wanted to PVP they would find where to PVP. It takes a very simple question in zone chat and you then know how.

Don't get me wrong however, I will agree that pvp needs some major changes. However shoving it into new players faces is just going to result in low level players attempting to pvp and failing, then they will either whine or never pvp again.

I personally had no interest in PvP before this game (actually I had negative feelings towards PvP in general) and only learned about the hero games because of doing research out of game on different perks that I might want. Just so happened, A perk that I wanted could only be gotten through PvP in something called "Hero Games". So thus, at about lvl 12 or so I started doing hero games while in the desert arc. I enjoyed the hero games so much that I pretty much leveled exclusively through the hero games and didn't even go to Canada until I was level 40 and ready to farm for my CTP.

My point is this. Just because some people don't specifically seek out PvP because of PvP, doesn't mean that they won't enjoy PvP through the Hero Games.

By making the Hero Games more accessible, of course you will probably get people who don't like it, but you will also probably get people who do like it and would not have been exposed to the Hero Games otherwise.

smoochan wrote: »

The same thing could be said of the Hero Games queues.
    I actually said this in the part of my post you chose to omit when you quoted me.
    I won't be commenting in this thread on this issue anymore.:redface:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    1. There is no "bait and switch" if the alert is identified as PvP. The whole point is making the hero games more accessible and identifiable, not tricking people.

Very true, IF the alert is identified as PVP.
    2. There will always be "whining" for one reason or another. That doesn't mean that increasing accessibility to a part of the game is a bad idea.

The difference being that I can think of zero occasions when a PvE mob has complained about a power working as intended, no matter what advantage it gives a player. I can't say the same about powers after contact with PvP. It's a different kind of whine that typically hurts the people who are just happy beating up virtual people and leads either to power creep or nerfs.
    1. No one would be forced to PvP just like no one is forced to do alerts. Once again, the point is just accessibility.

2. PvP, (unlike alerts) are separated into leveling tiers, so new low level characters can try PvP with others around their levels and learn how to handle their characters in PvP better.

3. In Smash Alerts, you have to win to get the prize exp. (although you do still get exp for any misc. enemies you defeat in the instance.) In the hero games though, you don't necessarily have to be "the winner" to get exp, acclaim, etc. It's just the winner usually gets more.

If a PVP map is inserted into the "regular rotation" and is made a goal or part of an existing goal (say, PVP = SMASH alert or even a new classification of Alerts that gets set alongside the others) then if you want the daily benefit you would've gotten through PvE, you will be 'forced' to PvP.

If you turn PVP into an alert, it will not be separated into leveling tiers, which is part of the point I'm trying to make. If you make PvP an alert, just like you have level 6s jumping into Smash alerts and think the best way to beat Recruitment Drive is to run straight at the main boss like a drunken pinball, you will have level 6s jumping into a PvP alert wondering why they're constantly getting beat on.

In all alerts, you have to win. Most of them allow you as much time and as many respawns as you like. Smashes do not. If you put a Hero Games into the Alerts, it seems that you will be treating it as an alert. Assuming you don't have the the Alert structured that you must win, that's all well and good, but it's something that would need to be hashed out.

Also, what would the rewards be, would you lose stars, etc. Simply "Please add at least one Hero Game Map as 'On Alert' Icons" leaves a lot of the idea unsaid. Assuming it'd just be the same as Hero Games? Well, why not just play Hero Games? It's not hard to find nor hard to find out about. Putting it up as an alert indicates it'll be under different rules, risks, and rewards.
    I personally had no interest in PvP before this game (actually I had negative feelings towards PvP in general) and only learned about the hero games because of doing research out of game on different perks that I might want. Just so happened, A perk that I wanted could only be gotten through PvP in something called "Hero Games". So thus, at about lvl 12 or so I started doing hero games while in the desert arc. I enjoyed the hero games so much that I pretty much leveled exclusively through the hero games and didn't even go to Canada until I was level 40 and ready to farm for my CTP.

My point is this. Just because some people don't specifically seek out PvP because of PvP, doesn't mean that they won't enjoy PvP through the Hero Games.

By making the Hero Games more accessible, of course you will probably get people who don't like it, but you will also probably get people who do like it and would not have been exposed to the Hero Games otherwise.

So long as the PvP isn't a mandatory daily to get my Questionite or Recognition, I'm not against it, but as I say, I see a lot more negatives to this than positives. To be honest, I think it'd be much more appropriate to have quest giving NPCs give out the old Hero Games mission (instead of having to go to a special NPC, or at least be directed TO that NPC,) rather than putting it up as an alert if you're concerned about exposure. Having it take up an Alert slot seems more detrimental, especially on days when you're waiting for a Burst mission and all you have is AO in two Grabs and a Smash.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know how at level 40 you have the 3 regular alerts, the special one, then gravitar? Add another one beneath that, and label it pvp, and do a pvp map alert rotation. Couldn't be that hard, and it's not like pvp doesn't already have the tech to reward people more for doing more.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's an okay idea. The mouse trap seems popular, so why not this.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd say Zombie Apocalypse would fit best, being the hybrid of PvE (as Alerts have) and PvP.
    We then need a new loading screen pointing out the fist on the mini map and about the Hero Games maps.
    Also, why don't new people experiment with buttons? See a button you've never pressed? PRESS IT.
    *hears an alarm*
    [ACTIVATING ORBITAL DEATH RAY. TARGET: THE MOON.]

Uh-oh.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    oniveiloniveil Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Would you guys like something like this?
    1552189-ALRCPRN.jpg
    Click on the VS Icon and get queued for the Hero Games! Perhaps it being put there will revive structured PvP.
  • Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    oniveil wrote: »
    Would you guys like something like this?
    1552189-ALRCPRN.jpg
    Click on the VS Icon and get queued for the Hero Games! Perhaps it being put there will revive structured PvP.

That's perfect.

While I'm not a PVPer, I still do think that everyone should know how to access every bit of play-ability this game has.

/signed. :D
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Now just add in the Zombie Apocalypse icon and, bam!, PvP restored to it's formal glory!
    1553830-UMN5RBK.jpg

Anyone know how to get this to Cryptic Devs?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Write it in the bag of Wild Bill's Bacon Jerky and mail it.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Write it in the bag of Wild Bill's Bacon Jerky and mail it.

What do you mean?
  • Options
    guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Now just add in the Zombie Apocalypse icon and, bam!, PvP restored to it's formal glory!
    1553830-UMN5RBK.jpg

Honestly I think the better idea would be make a septate table that clicks over to a pvp menu from the alert menu.

Same look, just a difference in color (maybe gold instead of red) and all the type of hero games.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1553830-UMN5RBK.jpg

Wow great & cool !! o.O
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ninten92 wrote: »
    While I'm not a PVPer, I still do think that everyone should know how to access every bit of play-ability this game has.

Hmm then maybe they should put the Socrates button on the Alerts tray to, so that people know there is actual mission content.
  • Options
    m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PVP is dead in this game. I think u are the 1 who have mega-pwns build but have no use of it.
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1553830-UMN5RBK.jpg

Ideas from this section do occasionally make it into the game months and months and months after the suggestion, so someone must at least occasionally skim the posts here.

the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?