test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exploit Opening vs. Sixth Sense Calculator beta

selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Power Discussion
http://worldsojourner.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/champions-online-exploit-opening-calculator-beta/

So I got tired of calculating Exploit Opening vs. Sixth Sense manually and risking a ton of errors with all the brackets involved.

The three ranks of Follow Through and a no-brainer, but the last 2 Tier 2 points aren't as obvious, so this calculator tells you where to put them.

If anyone runs a Primary Ego character and has parsed these two specs before, help me check if the numbers are correct.

It was done in Flash because Wordpress.com doesn't support Javascript :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kelbornxkelbornx Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since you have Vindicator there, you should add the bonuses from Sentry, Warden, and Guardian. Twist Fate, Slaughter, Find the Mark. Those each give up to 9% more crit chance. I just added what bonus those would give me into the spot for the Vindicator bonus when I was running the calculations.

Exploit Opening seems to always come out on top not matter what combination I put in.
  • Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    am i missing something here? because it's the other way around for me, granted im using ego surge+adv on a ego/con/? build...

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    kelbornxkelbornx Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I plugged in the numbers for my expected stats on my EGO/INT/CON Archery build using Ego Surge and it's still giving Exploit Opening a higher value. First time around I was plugging in my EGO/INT/DEX Munitions build. About the same 3% difference.

Just messing around with it plugging in all kinds of numbers, and Sixth Sense would pull ahead if it gave 6.5+ crit chance (fluctuates based on the other input values, but never below 6.5). Which would require over 500 total Secondary Super stat values at 2/3, or ~340 total SSS value at 3/3. (See here, from MechaTeddy's sticky thread) I plugged in all kinds of numbers into the calculator in the other slots too, just to see and it was consistant.

Now, I'm not sure how that relates compared to parses (since I don't really care enough about min/maxing to use one). But the difference of ~3% give or take seems to be negligible enough that it doesn't really matter which one you chose. Numbers wise EO is better, but just barely. Not worth a RetCon over imo.
  • Options
    eatmoreseatmores Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I actually did the same thing a while back when I setup the specs for my Soldier. Your numbers look good.

Just as a guideline for everyone, EO peaks at a 7.5% crit chance boost when your total crit chance averages to 50%. As your crit chance goes up or down from 50% the boost from EO decreases. At 40/60 you get 7.2%, at 25/75 you get 5.6%, etc.

For most builds EO will win by about 2%. The exception being SSS Con (big) and Ego Surge with nimble mind on a short cooldown. This can be enough to tip the numbers.

Keep in mind that EO does not help crit heals but it's definitely an under-appreciated spec.
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the real first question should be: "Does exploit opening actually give a multiplicative bonus, or is it additive, and therefore subject to diminishing returns?"

If it's the latter, and you're playing a freeform, you're getting less than a 10% bonus to damage from that 30% bonus at level 40.

Time to test with sniper rifle! :J

Okay tested it out:

I have 114.4% severity, not using a passive or any damage boosts, this is just from ranged stance and stats/specs. So at rank 2, my bonus from EO should be 34.32% damage increase on a non-crit.

Sniper rifle base, no crit, no EO up: [16:26] [Combat (Self)] Your Sniper Rifle deals 2919 (3211) Piercing Damage to Test Dummy.

Sniper rifle base, crit: [16:29] [Combat (Self)] Your Sniper Rifle deals 6261 (6887) Piercing Damage to Test Dummy.

Sniper Rifle base, no crit, EO up: [16:31] [Combat (Self)] Your Sniper Rifle deals 3795 (4175) Piercing Damage to Test Dummy.

34.32% of 3211 is 1102 so I should be getting 4313 with EO active.

In predictable cryptic math fashion, the numbers come out wrong in practice! YAY!

Update: It's the strike of the badly worded tooltips again! The spec says : "Whenever you Critically Strike a foe, your next non-Critical Strike deals additional damage equal to 30% of your Critical Severity."

In reality it means "Whenever you Critically Strike a foe, your next non-Critical Strike deals additional damage equal to 30% Critical Severity."

Your actual critical severity score has absolutely nothing to do with the calculation of the spec.

So hey, if you have less than 100% severity, this is the spec for you. If you have greater than 100% severity, this spec will actually do less than advertised and depending on your Crit Chance would lower your DPS overall if sixth sense is pushing you far above the soft cap on Crit chance (greater than 40%).

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    that would make a significant difference, but it also looks like a choice between crit chance and crit severity for the most part. if your EGO is higher=exploit opening, if your secondaries are higher than your EGO=sixth sense.

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think the real first question should be: "Does exploit opening actually give a multiplicative bonus, or is it additive, and therefore subject to diminishing returns?"

If it's the latter, and you're playing a freeform, you're getting less than a 10% bonus to damage from that 30% bonus at level 40.

Time to test with sniper rifle! :J

Okay tested it out:

I have 114.4% severity, not using a passive or any damage boosts, this is just from ranged stance and stats/specs. So at rank 2, my bonus from EO should be 34.32% damage increase on a non-crit.

Sniper rifle base, no crit, no EO up: [16:26] [Combat (Self)] Your Sniper Rifle deals 2919 (3211) Piercing Damage to Test Dummy.

Sniper rifle base, crit: [16:29] [Combat (Self)] Your Sniper Rifle deals 6261 (6887) Piercing Damage to Test Dummy.

Sniper Rifle base, no crit, EO up: [16:31] [Combat (Self)] Your Sniper Rifle deals 3795 (4175) Piercing Damage to Test Dummy.

34.32% of 3211 is 1102 so I should be getting 4313 with EO active.

In predictable cryptic math fashion, the numbers come out wrong in practice! YAY!

Update: It's the strike of the badly worded tooltips again! The spec says : "Whenever you Critically Strike a foe, your next non-Critical Strike deals additional damage equal to 30% of your Critical Severity."

In reality it means "Whenever you Critically Strike a foe, your next non-Critical Strike deals additional damage equal to 30% Critical Severity."

Your actual critical severity score has absolutely nothing to do with the calculation of the spec.

So hey, if you have less than 100% severity, this is the spec for you. If you have greater than 100% severity, this spec will actually do less than advertised and depending on your Crit Chance would lower your DPS overall if sixth sense is pushing you far above the soft cap on Crit chance (greater than 40%).

:eek:

My Ego builds always hovered very close to 100% severity, no wonder I never noticed that!

Sounds like I'll have to do another field for crit severity. After posting, I had half a mind to throw attack damage, defense penetration and target defense fields too. Then it'd work for comparing all spec trees :o
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    *bump*

Updated. It's now a damage calculator. I took out the second column, but comparison should still be easy enough.

Link is in the first post.

Todo: Add a "Clear" button
  • Options
    jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From this, I'm getting the impression that Exploit Opening is better when you get fewer critical hits. After a string of critical hits, isn't there only one application of Exploit Opening? When my chance is high, they tend to come in succession, or not at all.

Does Exploit Opening affect heals?
    Edit: found the answer above.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    From this, I'm getting the impression that Exploit Opening is better when you get fewer critical hits. After a string of critical hits, isn't there only one application of Exploit Opening? When my chance is high, they tend to come in succession, or not at all.

Does Exploit Opening affect heals?
    Edit: found the answer above.

It does best at 50% crit including conditional bonuses. Too little and it doesn't proc enough. Too often and the successive crits waste Exploit Openings. Whether its best is better than Sixth Sense depends on build.

The Active Offense also throws it off. The usual case is that during the AO's downtime, Exploit Opening could be better, but when the AO is up and sends your crit to 85%, you crit too often to get any non-crits in.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Great information! Thank you for sharing and spending 50g to test it myself, it seems to be a slight bonus (@ 127% severity on Alyssa).

I should also point out it depends on your superstats choices and what active offense you are using with what advantages (i.e.: Ego Surge + Nimble Mind with high CON --versus-- Aggressor and Enrage stacks)

I'm sorry if I offended you in that other topic SanguineViper.