test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Silenced for 24 hours for saying "no"?

malcontentmentmalcontentment Posts: 16 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
So there I was, minding my own business in Caprice, having a nice chat in SG and this d-bag comes up and says "Date Me".

Ugh.

"No." was my response.

"Date me" he insists.

"No." was my response again. And I walked away.

He follows, not taking the hint. "What's your name"

"What part of 'no' don't you get?" was my response.

Again, he repeats himself. "What's your name"

Well... see this is where I generally get unpleasant. After you say "no" enough times, you just need to reinforce it. So I told him "no" one more time, a little more unpleasantly but certainly not with any vulgarity or profanity.

His unoriginal, vulgar response however was met with me ignoring him - only to have a message flash up that I have been reported for spamming and that I am silenced for 24 hours.

Seriously double-you-tee-eff?

I will probably grow old(er) waiting for a GM response so I guess it'll be 24 hours before I get silenced again by some over-obsessive amorous cyber monkey because the answer is still NO.
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a horse. Do you like swords? I saw a rock. Hi.
Post edited by malcontentment on

Comments

• scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Whenever some creep starts to pester me I just put him on ignore immediately without saying a single word back.

The chat ban system is simply the WORST and they refuse to change it, so there's really nothing you can do about it other than just sit it out.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It appears we can add "Refusing advances in Caprice" to the list of things you can't do because it's "spamming".
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Clearly you "had it coming". Next time think twice before you reject someone's trolling advances on you. Use your "deserved" 24 hour chat ban to reflect on that.
    /trollface
    See, that's entirely your fault. As soon as you said no for a third time the system automatically assumed you were spamming "no" and bwahahahahahaha, implying the chat ban system does anything properly. I couldn't even type that with a straight face.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Chat bans are never fun ( except maybe for me because they don't bother me at all ). I sympathize with your situation. Just toughen through it and soon you'll get so many ( hopefully not ) that will feel as powerful as I, the mighty Caliga, defender of man, the man of steel, the krypto--wait, nevermind that's somebody else.

*ahem*

I sympathize with your situation, as clearly you are a victim of a system that is "working as intended", I use that loosely. Not too worry, 24 hours is fast. If you're not working or something, just take a really really really really really really long nap! :biggrin:

Here, to make you feel better, HAVE A CALIGA STAMP OF OPPRESSION!!!!!

caligastamp.png

There you go! Enjoy that and have a wonderful day!:smile:
  • malcontentmentmalcontentment Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Chat bans are never fun ( except maybe for me because they don't bother me at all ). I sympathize with your situation. Just toughen through it and soon you'll get so many ( hopefully not ) that will feel as powerful as I, the mighty Caliga, defender of man, the man of steel, the krypto--wait, nevermind that's somebody else.

*ahem*

I sympathize with your situation, as clearly you are a victim of a system that is "working as intended", I use that loosely. Not too worry, 24 hours is fast. If you're not working or something, just take a really really really really really really long nap! :biggrin:

Here, to make you feel better, HAVE A CALIGA STAMP OF OPPRESSION!!!!!

caligastamp.png

There you go! Enjoy that and have a wonderful day!:smile:

Ima poke you twice as much now. :rolleyes:
    Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a horse. Do you like swords? I saw a rock. Hi.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Quick fact: repeating something fast enough in chat will get you a 3 minute silence.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The stupid chatban "feature" is the most idiotic, poorly thought and executed thing ever implemented on any MMO, specially when we lack the presence of GM that would review this and because those who abuse the system (which is fairly easy) get no consequence at all.
  • kikipuppetkikipuppet Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wasn't me I promise!
  • jayleia1jayleia1 Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The stupid chatban "feature" is the most idiotic, poorly thought and executed thing ever implemented on any MMO, specially when we lack the presence of GM that would review this and because those who abuse the system (which is fairly easy) get no consequence at all.

I have no idea how this "feature" got past basic QA, heck, how it got past the basic design phase is beyond me.

The fear of chatban abuse means I rarely talk in anything but team, SG, and the global channels and that's pretty much ALL the communication I do (occasionally I say something in zone).

Good job Cryptic, making an MMO where people are actively discouraged from communicating.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think its time for the chat ban system to go. Just turn it off. Like now.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Oh, its even worse than that. We've been told that GMs can do nothing about if you get chat banned because they don't have the power to remove the bans. If you get silenced, you have to go through the full 24 hour ban regardless.
    Oh, its even worse than that. We've been told that GMs can do nothing about if you get chat banned because they don't have the power to remove the bans. If you get silenced, you have to go through the full 24 hour ban regardless.

Actually that is not completely true. Just around Thanksgiving of last year there was a costume contest and the judges were all chat banned by this troll SG by spamming the report spam. The SG even took the liberty to keep changing their SG name twice during the whole contest so they don't get caught. Mostly everyone there at the CC reported the SG and in just 4 hours the judges had the bans lifted. If it is a big enough case of abusing the feature they will take action.

It was just one of the lucky cases that the GMs felt sorry for what has happened.

What happened to that SG, well every member was ignored and since that day never saw their faces again, nor their handles.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »
    Actually that is not completely true. Just around Thanksgiving of last year there was a costume contest and the judges were all chat banned by this troll SG by spamming the report spam. The SG even took the liberty to keep changing their SG name twice during the whole contest so they don't get caught. Mostly everyone there at the CC reported the SG and in just 4 hours the judges had the bans lifted. If it is a big enough case of abusing the feature they will take action.

It was just one of the lucky cases that the GMs felt sorry for what has happened.

What happened to that SG, well every member was ignored and since that day never saw their faces again, nor their handles.

Incorrect, as I was the one leading that CC. I've seen multiple members of that SG around the game since then. If the GMs did ANYTHING, it was temporary as I saw them online the following week, and was harassed at another event of mine.

Sorry you were on the receiving end of some jerkwad's perverted fantasy. Report that as harassment on the PWE site (heaven knows the cryptic game tickets are less useful than those little loops on the back of shoes (hint freaking hint trailturtle)), and hope for the best.

Added this to my links in the sig.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well... see this is where I generally get unpleasant. After you say "no" enough times, you just need to reinforce it. So I told him "no" one more time, a little more unpleasantly but certainly not with any vulgarity or profanity.

His unoriginal, vulgar response however was met with me ignoring him - only to have a message flash up that I have been reported for spamming and that I am silenced for 24 hours.

I will probably grow old(er) waiting for a GM response so I guess it'll be 24 hours before I get silenced again by some over-obsessive amorous cyber monkey because the answer is still NO.

Keep in mind that when someone puts you on ignore, you get a "demerit" on your account that doesn't go away until you get enough to get chat banned. You could have literally been saving up demerits for months, maybe years, and this one was the one that broke the camel's back.

Same as when you put him on ignore, you may have chat banned him. If not, you put him a little closer to one. Not that he didn't deserve it, but, you get what I'm saying.

So it's possible that it's not just this one guy that chat banned you for rejecting his advances. It's also possible that he got pissed at you and got all his buddies to Report Spam on you.
    biffsig.jpg
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Incorrect, as I was the one leading that CC. I've seen multiple members of that SG around the game since then. If the GMs did ANYTHING, it was temporary as I saw them online the following week, and was harassed at another event of mine.

Sorry you were on the receiving end of some jerkwad's perverted fantasy. Report that as harassment on the PWE site (heaven knows the cryptic game tickets are less useful than those little loops on the back of shoes (hint freaking hint trailturtle)), and hope for the best.

Added this to my links in the sig.

It must be a different CC since your handle doesn't look familiar to me (and I remember people well during these CCs) And it was also around the time where I completely quit doing CCs too so another reason why I never seen those trolls again. Sorry to say but CCs aren't as fun anymore.

On topic: I have received the chat ban before, it wasn't fun at all. All I was doing at the time was RPing with a few friends and suddenly have the message I was silenced. A WTF moment that brought a few laughs and a flipped table.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The solution is simple: don't go to club caprice. :)
    Clearly you "had it coming". Next time think twice before you reject someone's trolling advances on you. Use your "deserved" 24 hour chat ban to reflect on that.
    /trollface

stupid troll is stupid
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So there I was, minding my own business in Caprice, having a nice chat in SG and this d-bag comes up and says "Date Me".

Ugh.

"No." was my response.

"Date me" he insists.

"No." was my response again. And I walked away.

He follows, not taking the hint. "What's your name"

"What part of 'no' don't you get?" was my response.

Again, he repeats himself. "What's your name"

Wow just properly translated that .I hope you reported this dirt bag thats sexual harassment and against TOS.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited February 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Wow just properly translated that .I hope you reported this dirt bag thats sexual harassment and against TOS.

That's a good point.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2013

stupid troll is stupid

Lucy once more showing her inability to detect sarcasm even when it's already been made obvious that it was intended sarcasm.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey I just met you and this is crazy but, don't say no, say maybe.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree.

That's crazy.

EDIT: Gah, taken in by song lyrics! At least I can give myself points for not knowing Carly Rae Jepson songs. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sarcasm is stupid.

...and jenny, you've displayed a total lack of common sense in every discussion recently.
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And that's the problem in mmo's without any form of real pk.
    You cannot punish the $%&#talkers, the way they deserve it.
    And in the end, you get punished for defending yourself...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • malcontentmentmalcontentment Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nepht wrote: »

To what end? The TOS are consistently broken with stuff like this and -nothing- ever gets done about it.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sarcasm is stupid.

...and jenny, you've displayed a total lack of common sense in every discussion recently.

Not everything you don't understand is stupid.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited February 2013
    To what end? The TOS are consistently broken with stuff like this and -nothing- ever gets done about it.

To what end? To get the creeps responsible properly removed from the game is my hope. Sexual harassment isn't tolerated whatsoever and Cryptic, or any other game company for that matter, can't afford to take these reports for granted.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013

stupid troll is stupid
    Sarcasm is stupid.

The irony...
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Alright I can see this one going nowhere good.
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.