test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to Spot People playing the Content

prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Missions and Content
With people talking about alerts I thought that it might be worthwhile mentioning what I believe are three signs that new people are playing through the game's content.

1. Contentment

Champions Online is better than most of the MMOs you find "in the wild" which are barely complete. Strongly themed, well-written and genuinely free to play, CO is pretty good.

2. Wealthy

As long as someone has learnt to sell their items via a skill trainer, or another NPC with a store, someone who completes missions is not poor.

3. Busy

There is generally plenty to do. If you tire of Lemuria, for example, you can go to Canada instead. You can even simply explore and be rewarded with interesting places.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
Post edited by prootwaddle on

Comments

• Options
    tripphtripph Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    2. Wealthy

As long as someone has learnt to sell their items via a skill trainer, or another NPC with a store, someone who completes missions is not poor.

Ignorant Newbie question:

I can sell bound items to a trainer?
    _____

I'm still fairly new. If I screwed up again, let me know.
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tripph wrote: »

Yup. You just can't trade it directly with another player or put it up in the Auction House.

Some items will be marked as "can't be sold," but if it's just "bound," by all means, sell it to a trainer/vendor if you don't need it.

PS: Welcome to the game!
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tripph wrote: »

That is a great newbie question. So often I forget little things like that and just assume everyone knows.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Fortunately, I've only discarded a few items yet. Thanks!
    _____

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    Yup. You just can't trade it directly with another player or put it up in the Auction House.

Some items will be marked as "can't be sold," but if it's just "bound," by all means, sell it to a trainer/vendor if you don't need it.

PS: Welcome to the game!
    Also, if an item says "cannot be sold", but is not bound to character or account, it can be sold on the AH or via trade with another player - that phrase just means it can't be sold to an NPC.

The only time you're stuck with it is when it says both "bound to character" and "cannot be sold" - for instance, the second (and each subsequent) time you get a character the reward of the UNTIL or VIPER mantle, items which you cannot either sell or give someone else, even though the first time you equip the item it provides the costume unlock for your entire account...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also, if an item says "cannot be sold", but is not bound to character or account, it can be sold on the AH or via trade with another player - that phrase just means it can't be sold to an NPC.

The only time you're stuck with it is when it says both "bound to character" and "cannot be sold" - for instance, the second (and each subsequent) time you get a character the reward of the UNTIL or VIPER mantle, items which you cannot either sell or give someone else, even though the first time you equip the item it provides the costume unlock for your entire account...

Yes, good catch. And good to see you back on the forums!
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Selling things is also a necessary discipline for a free-to-play player.

You don't have a lot of inventory space and by working out what to sell you are not only freeing up up space but also raising the funds to buy the largest bag possible in your secondary slot from the bag vendor in the Renaissance Centre's Recognition building.

You are, after all, going to be bombarded with random drops as you play through the quests and it does pay to be rather decisive as you work out what to use, keep and sell.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Great tips, all! Thanks!
    _____

• Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You can also make nice money with doing Unity Quests, buying items for the Silver Tokens
    and sell them on the AH, if you don't need them for your own characters anymore.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I like to take blue or better gear, (doesn't matter the level), and sell it for a slight markup on the AH - keep the prices reasonable, (but enough to cover the listing fee plus a little extra), and they'll sell quickly.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums