test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nemeses

kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
As my various heroes inevitably draw closer to level 25, I've been contemplating what powersets would be appropriate for my villains when I recreate them as Nemeses. Most, so far, have been rather obvious--Scythus would be Darkness, Poison Lips would be Infernal, i.e.--but one continues to elude me in the planning stages.

Mistress Bloodwrath was a Mercs/Pain Mastermind in CoH and would naturally be having soldiers as her minions. But her powerset, what to do about her powerset? What powerset seems appropriate for Pain?

I'm contemplating possibly Telekinesis simply because of the mental and physical relationship of pain, but I think I could use some input on this.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Telepathy seems to be more up the aisle for this.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I dunno, powers like Summon Nightmare and Ego Sleep don't seem appropriate to the character.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Last I heard a few Nemesis Powersets were bugged so that important missions could not be completed at all. I believe that Darkness was one of these. You may want to hold off on a Darkness Nemesis until you hear that the issue is cleared up.
    My apologies for wasting your time is a fix has already been announced and I missed it.
    Also, Telepathy is a surprisingly powerful set in Nemesis Alerts. A Nemesis with that set will put a real hurting on PUG that isn't expecting a fight.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the caution on Darkness. If so, I may have to postpone Scythus (because frankly nothing else will work with that guy). What exactly is the current bug, btw?

But anyone else have any input for Mistress Bloodwrath?
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the caution on Darkness. If so, I may have to postpone Scythus (because frankly nothing else will work with that guy). What exactly is the current bug, btw?

But anyone else have any input for Mistress Bloodwrath?
    I dunno, powers like Summon Nightmare and Ego Sleep don't seem appropriate to the character.

I have yet to see a nemesis using these power. Telepathy nems are more about Ego Blast and Ego Storm.
    Also, Telekinesis = Ego Blades. That's nothing like Pain.

Giving any nemesis Darkness as a powerset is a BAD idea! The "un-feature" that gives Ao' Qephoth his insane regeneration affects Darkness nemeses too! :eek:

The sad fact is that the Nemesis System hasn't been updated since Vibora bay was added, in year 1. And judging from the devs' current pace, it won't be updated within the next two years. :frown:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have yet to see a nemesis using these power. Telepathy nems are more about Ego Blast and Ego Storm.

All right, I'll certainly consider that then. Although I'd like to poll the audience if anyone has seen those powers from a Telepathy Nemesis. If not, then I might go with that then.
    Giving any nemesis Darkness as a powerset is a BAD idea! The "un-feature" that gives Ao' Kephoth his insane regeneration affects Darkness nemeses too! :eek:

Is that all that's wrong with Darkness for Nemeses? Then I don't think it'll be a problem for the Superman-expy that willl regularly be tangoing with Scythus. Destructeon hits like a truck.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    At one point Darkness Nemesis could not complete the first Nemesis mission, hence could not progress, ever. They may have fixed it since I last tried to make a Darkness Nemesis, but if so, I have not heard about it.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    How so, exactly? What would happen?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The last bit of the mission would not register as completed, forever, so you could not turn it in, hence you could not get any further Nemesis missions. As I said, however, it has been a very long time since I last tried. This always was my least favourite bug, so I avoid Darkness like the plague for Nemesis powers. If you know someone who has made a Darkness Nemesis in the past year of so you may want to talk to them. It could have been fixed since, but not so that I heard.

• Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think it'll be a problem for the Superman-expy that willl regularly be tangoing with Scythus. Destructeon hits like a truck.

It would not be a problem at all in regular nemesis missions. But entering a nemesis alert with a Darkness nemesis is pretty much griefing.
    The amount of HP regenerated by Shadowfeast, the inbuilt HoT of Shadow Form, heals 1.8% of the user's max HP (chance on attack, possible at most every 3 seconds). It is not the passive power itself that is causing the overpowered heal, but the sheer amount of HP alert bosses generally have.

This was initially a design flaw. Shadowfeast was balanced for player characters with no more than 10,000 HP, not for NPCs that have over two million HP.
    First, it was noticed on Demoiselle Nocturen after alerts went live. She was then given a special version of Shadow Form that doesn't heal her. However, nemeses didn't get this treatment, as Cryptic has appearantly decided not to touch the nemesis system until it gets a huge update. :rolleyes:
    For Ao' Qephoth, they deliberately left the heal in, thinking this would make him "more of a challenge".

Personally, I think it's sad that our devs resort to bug exploits to create content, and then do it wrong, in a way that makes people hate their work.
    The rocket jump in Team Fortress 2; that's how you turn a bug into a feature. Ao' Qephoth, however, is rightfully the most hated of all alert villains, for the sole reason that he is so difficult to defeat because he cheats. Fighting a cheater is not fun!

Sorry, got a little off track here. But the point is: If you have a Darkness nemesis, enter a nemesis alert, and yours is chosen, it will be exactly like if you were fighting Ao' Qephoth. The other players on the group will be frustrated, and you will likely lose the alert.

So, if you must have a Darkness nemesis, do everyone including yourself a favour and stay out of nemesis alerts.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a hero whose nemesis backstory works best as Darkness, and he is easily defeated solo in nemesis missions. However, I soon discovered what rokurocaris said -- Darkness nemeses in Dockside Dustups are a BAD IDEA.

However, it takes but a few seconds to edit your nemesis -- so I keep him as Darkness until Nemesis Dockside Dustup pops up as an alert, then I edit him to Infernal -- which is still a pain for many PUGs, but more doable -- then switch back to Darkness when that alert rotates out.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't have a taste for big mosh-pit systems like Alerts anyway. It's one of the reasons I generally avoided trials in CoH.