test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Don't want to remove chat ban? Then leave ignores out of it.

jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
So it's become apparent that Cryptic is adamant about keeping and defending their beloved chat ban system and shows no intention to remove it.

So here's what I propose: Make it so that "Report Spam" is the only fuction that is able to activate the chat ban. Leave the ignore command out of this. Just because I'm ignoring someone doesn't mean I think he/she is a gold spammer nor do I want that person chat banned. Ignores should be used for the sole purpose of ignoring someone's chat text period. Leave the chat ban activation to the "Report Spam" command so that it's much easier to handle abuse cases while effectively cutting down on cases that have to do with ignores. Keep your precious "Report Spam" command if it's so darn important for Neverwinter.

I think this is a reasonable compromise and ask for everyone to support the idea if they're okay with a compromise and not a complete removal of the system.
Post edited by jennymachx on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    So it's become apparent that Cryptic is adamant about keeping and defending their beloved chat ban system and shows no intention to remove it.

So here's what I propose: Make it so that "Report Spam" is the only fuction that is able to activate the chat ban. Leave the ignore command out of this. Just because I'm ignoring someone doesn't mean I think he/she is a gold spammer nor do I want that person chat banned. Ignores should be used for the sole purpose of ignoring someone's chat text period. Leave the chat ban activation to the "Report Spam" command so that it's much easier to handle abuse cases while effectively cutting down on cases that have to do with ignores. Keep your precious "Report Spam" command if it's so darn important for Neverwinter.

I think this is a reasonable compromise and ask for everyone to support the idea if they're okay with a compromise and not a complete removal of the system.

Also make it so that if you use the 'Report Spam' feature on a person, and it's found that said person is not a spammer/RMT-er, that the one who reported them gets a warning, a temporary ban, then a permanent ban, if they continue to abuse the system.

By not punishing the misuse of a system, the devs are in fact rewarding and encouraging that misuse.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree as an transitional step.

Trailturtle, closing this topic was uncalled for. There was no flame war, there was honest discussion.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Another idea might be a protest. Everybody report spam on everybody. Shut down communications entirely.

Although I don't think Cryptic would care, come to think of it -- it doesn't really affect lockboxes or questionite purchases.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Jenny and Bioshrike have great ideas. Listen to them.
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Another idea might be a protest. Everybody report spam on everybody. Shut down communications entirely.

Although I don't think Cryptic would care, come to think of it -- it doesn't really affect lockboxes or questionite purchases.

No. I want the system removed. I don't want to use it and prove to Cryptic that I'm a hypocrite and that it's ok to use.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You know... while i find the system annoying, i just thought of something... Why does it even matter?

either 1. No one will even bother gold farming in this game anyway. so the system is useless.

or

2. we might actually get more people playing, i mean it's not like there's many people to lose anyway. the only risk i can foresee here is if they trade a random amount based on a 100 digit dice in trade for a key. because you can't trust anyone that expects you to fork over money for a chance of what you're expecting
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Don't want to remove chat ban? Then leave ignores out of it.

That should go without saying. Except apparently with Cryptic they've refused to do it even when we've been saying it since like two years ago when these chat bans started to become an issue.

I also agree with bioshrike that people who abuse this system should be seriously punished, but would further add that that being the case that people using the Report Spam feature should get a warning every time they use it telling them that the express purpose of the Report Spam feature is to report gold sellers and such, and that using it for other purposes could carry a punishment. And they should include a notice about Report Spam use in the game's terms of service as well.
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again, players should never have this kind of power over others. In any game, gold sellers might be a problem in Neverwinter (assuming it becomes popular enough to warrant it) but players misusing a feature that never should have been instituted in the first place is a wrong on all accounts. Such an abusive feature could definitely have an adverse affect on how well that game does.

It tells me that those who designed it, and then incorporated it in a way it couldn't be altered with out affecting other games, didn't really think the system through fully, or there is something seriously wrong with how the code is working.
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That should go without saying. Except apparently with Cryptic they've refused to do it even when we've been saying it since like two years ago when these chat bans started to become an issue.

I also agree with bioshrike that people who abuse this system should be seriously punished, but would further add that that being the case that people using the Report Spam feature should get a warning every time they use it telling them that the express purpose of the Report Spam feature is to report gold sellers and such, and that using it for other purposes could carry a punishment. And they should include a notice about Report Spam use in the game's terms of service as well.

You know i was reading an interesting article in the newspaper today about some anti piracy law that enables people to be arrested for more than 35 years if they violated a web services terms and conditions, i forget the main details and it wasn't really specific though, the guy they made the example out of was done for downloading some journal storage program and downloaded lots of journal articles and apparently broke their terms by going over a set limit. worst part was that even if the victim in question, the company that had their service terms violated didn't want to take action the US government could still take action regardless o.o
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Build switching on pts is broken, sure hope that gets fixed....

It would be a real shame if *cough* someone were to 'accidentally' break the spam reporting function.

YES im suggesting sabotage! Im sick of this. Giving ban powers to children in an mmo...REDICULOUS!

Surely it could be modified. If someone truly is a chat spammer does it have to be only 5 people reporting spam/ignoring to give a chat ban? Why cant it be higher like 20. Any ACTUALLY gold seller (for which CO hasnt this problem) would be reported by people both honestly, and rapidly anyway!
  • Options
    sundevil3sundevil3 Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How many spam reports does it take to chat ban somebody?