test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Updated DPS Chart

selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Power Discussion
I did this one up based on StockyAnn's. For some reason my numbers don't match with hers, although they do match up pretty closely to CO-Wiki's. Like the original, I'd suggest using this as a rough guide, because it only shows how powers do by themselves, rather than in a realistic context where synergies come in.

http://worldsojourner.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/champions-online-dps-chart-caa-jan-11-2013/ (correct as of Jan 11, 2013)

Side note: I did a double take when I saw the tap DPS on Ricochet Throw and Throwing Blades.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    selphea wrote: »
    I did this one up based on StockyAnn's. For some reason my numbers don't match with hers, although they do match up pretty closely to CO-Wiki's. Like the original, I'd suggest using this as a rough guide, because it only shows how powers do by themselves, rather than in a realistic context where synergies come in.

http://worldsojourner.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/champions-online-dps-chart-caa-jan-11-2013/ (correct as of Jan 11, 2013)

Side note: I did a double take when I saw the tap DPS on Ricochet Throw and Throwing Blades.

Thanks for this! And I just knew the numbers on the boomerang moves would be stupidly high.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    a few things:

1. Thank you very much for doing this. :smile:

2. Can you please explain your methods a bit clearer? What are your experimental and control varibles?

3. Pardon me, but I told y'all so about Ricochet Throw and Chest Beam compared to Gigabolt. It's even more obvious now how far behind Gigabolt is compared to it's peers. And let's not forget richochet throw does NOT self-root (you can move while charging), Gigabolt is a Tier 3 power and the final one you get for the PREMIUM (not free) Tempest archetype, AND Ricochet Throw deals double damage (splits into two) when thrown from stealth. Anyways it's nice to have some confirming data on this, and hard to believe Ricochet Throw was actually nerfed heavily from what it was on inital release. Wowzers!

4. Something isn't right about Assault Rifle (aka AR) compared against Two-Gun Mojo (aka 2GM). Also the ramp-up is important for Assault Rifle and Pulse Beam Rifle. PBR with good critical severity is important.

5. Toxic DoT from Gas Pellets might need to be re-examined.

6. None of this considers other factors such as stacking buffs/debuffs or movement (also player apponents will counter where as most NPC cosmic bosses are stationary).

7. I like how this is broken down into EPS, DPS, and a combination stat
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is Gigabolt for tap or charge?

Tap spam has always been the way to use it for dps (and most powers have far better dps on tap than charge, but better dpes on charge than tap). And in Gigabolt's case, there's also the 8 second lockout between charging it.

Also, Shuriken Throw and Storm are generic MA powers along with Rising Knee and Inexorable Tides (the latter two are missing completely from the table), they should either be listed under all the MA frameworks or seperately. Including them in Claws alone only makes Claws look better off energy wise than it actually is.

Also, Tiger's Bite has a chance to not consume Shredded with the advantage, the bonus damage against Shredded is a basic part of the power (just like the +50% Crit Severity on Dragon's Claws).
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Tap spam has always been the way to use it for dps (and most powers have far better dps on tap than charge, but better dpes on charge than tap). And in Gigabolt's case, there's also the 8 second lockout between charging it.

Gigabolt there is a tap. The addition of the tap damage being middling, combined with the fact that the tap animation is also slower than average (0.67 seconds, versus 0.5 on most moves) results in a slower DPS than lightning storm, as it turns out. There's also the fact that tap-spamming is also slightly slower than advertised, so it's maybe more or less doing its damage every 0.8 seconds or something instead of 0.67.
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    3. Pardon me, but I told y'all so about Ricochet Throw and Chest Beam compared to Gigabolt. It's even more obvious now how far behind Gigabolt is compared to it's peers. And let's not forget richochet throw does NOT self-root (you can move while charging), Gigabolt is a Tier 3 power and the final one you get for the PREMIUM (not free) Tempest archetype, AND Ricochet Throw deals double damage (splits into two) when thrown from stealth. Anyways it's nice to have some confirming data on this, and hard to believe Ricochet Throw was actually nerfed heavily from what it was on inital release. Wowzers!

For chest beam, this is pretty justified, considering it's literally half the size of Gigabolt in terms of range and coverage. Not to mention that Gigabolt can also fuel itself with negative ions. Ricochet Throw is grossly overpowered and everyone already knew that.
    6. None of this considers other factors such as stacking buffs/debuffs or movement (also player apponents will counter where as most NPC cosmic bosses are stationary).

You're right:
    I'd suggest using this as a rough guide, because it only shows how powers do by themselves, rather than in a realistic context where synergies come in.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Gigabolt there is a tap. The addition of the tap damage being middling, combined with the fact that the tap animation is also slower than average (0.67 seconds, versus 0.5 on most moves) results in a slower DPS than lightning storm, as it turns out. There's also the fact that tap-spamming is also slightly slower than advertised, so it's maybe more or less doing its damage every 0.8 seconds or something instead of 0.67.

Yes, although let's be clear for the readers: it's classified as a power you can tap or "charge" (otherwise it would be a "click" power).

bluhman wrote:
    For chest beam, this is pretty justified, considering it's literally half the size of Gigabolt in terms of range and coverage. Not to mention that Gigabolt can also fuel itself with negative ions. Ricochet Throw is grossly overpowered and everyone already knew that.

No... Gigabolt is cannot fuel itself. That is false. I understand what you meant, but even with two other power points invested in Ionic Reverb and Ball Lightning (plus two advantage points for Triplicity) AND even going with REC & END as two of your superstats AND some major cost discount from your Utility gear... it won't be nearly enough. You WILL run out of energy after a few taps.

In truth I suppose you could say this is the fault of energy unlocks from the energy projector powerset not returning as much energy as they need to (to keep up with power consumption)

You're right thay chest beam has half the max range, but that rarely matters in most PVE fights (which occurs 50 ft or closer). Additionally, both force cascade and chest beam knock, and chest beam also applies a frequently underestimated (yet powerful) damage resistance debuff.

My point is that electricity, along with most of the energy projector powerset (i.e.: Ice) is grossly behind it's peers.

Finally, I point you all to re-examine the tiers the powers are placed at, and remember that Tempest isn't a free archetype and gigabolt is its reward for reaching level 40.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    a few things:

2. Can you please explain your methods a bit clearer? What are your experimental and control varibles?

As I said, Lv40 character, Hybrid mods, no gear, no talents, no passive, no form. I took the damage values from the combat tooltip. My control was the original list at http://www.stockyann.net/Vrac/CO.php . For the most part, there was a 15% difference between the original values and mine, give or take 1.5%, which I felt was an acceptable enough margin that can be accounted for by rounding.

There were are some outliers, like the obvious buffed powers. Sonic Arrow in the original didn't seem to have the Sonic damage factored in. The only unexplained mystery is Eye Beam - was there a ninja nerf to it?

Anyway, I updated the list for control values in the original.
    4 - 6

There were some other factors that were hard to account for, like damage penetration on 2GM and Crit Severity on Dragon's Claws, as well as conditional boosts to damage like Fireball + UA and Fire Snake to Conflag. IMO these deserve a more in-depth look than what a simple chart can represent without being TMI, so I decided to stick with raw damage for the chart.

They're all charged unless otherwise indicated. For the most part, if the tap damage was within 10% of the charge damage, I went with the charge damage instead. In cases like Chain Lightning and Ricochet Throw though, the difference was very obvious.
    Also, Shuriken Throw and Storm are generic MA powers along with Rising Knee and Inexorable Tides (the latter two are missing completely from the table), they should either be listed under all the MA frameworks or seperately. Including them in Claws alone only makes Claws look better off energy wise than it actually is.

Done :smile:
    Also, Tiger's Bite has a chance to not consume Shredded with the advantage, the bonus damage against Shredded is a basic part of the power (just like the +50% Crit Severity on Dragon's Claws).

That's copy pasted from the original. I'm not sure what I want to do with the Advantages column yet. I feel like changing it to a Notes or Comments column, excluding the non-DPS advantages and listing possible modifiers to DPS instead, e.g. Ebon Ruin: DoT, Adv: -10% Resist, +15% vs. Fear. That makes more sense for a DPS chart, but there's other variables that indirectly add to damage too, like Might knocks causing fall damage. So I'm still deciding what to add, but when I do I'll revise that column
  • Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Here is a google spreadsheet of the full data with a few cosmetic changes.

I believe that the difference between your numbers and the original numbers(other than the fact of updated powers) is 15%+2.4%ish(At least I think 5 str/ego is 2.4%ish I don't really remember...) which comes from the 5 Stars(15%) and the added bonus of 5 str/ego(2.4%ish).
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ayonachan wrote: »

I believe that the difference between your numbers and the original numbers(other than the fact of updated powers) is 15%+2.4%ish(At least I think 5 str/ego is 2.4%ish I don't really remember...) which comes from the 5 Stars(15%) and the added bonus of 5 str/ego(2.4%ish).

Thanks! I forgot about the stars.

Looks like that's a slightly outdated version though. I added Inexorable Tides and Rising Knee, and moved out the Shuriken skills.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    *casts Divine Renewal*

So I need to update this again but I haven't really been keeping up with CO the past year.

What has changed since January 2013, powers-wise?

I know Throwing Blades needs to be adjusted to reflect Charge damage instead of tap, and new Telepathy powers were added, as well as Rimefire. Was there anything else though?
  • Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ayonachan wrote: »

That is extremely old...I was going to go about removing it but it slipped my mind...anyway, removed it now.

Edit: Looking at the colors and layout made me cringe as I removed it from this plane of existence...Such a beautiful piece of outdated information..Oh well.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe its not a good time for me to mention that I've been compiling a damage powers sheet of my own and that its mostly done? :X
    Trying to add pet powers drained me of wanting to work on it recently, though (*punches pet AI*). Its also hard to follow cause I had to condense phrases and get as much power info out as I could, in light of the wiki being down- so its not for light reading (unlike Selphea's- which is tons easier to navigate and interpret).

(still has some of the same issues: the stars buff, 3.4% Ego_Str bonus, and I stupidly left my TP on when taking the energy values >< latter is an easier fix, though; also not complete in terms of adding CC stuff, and much advantage-related thingery)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Maybe its not a good time for me to mention that I've been compiling a damage powers sheet of my own and that its mostly done? :X
    Trying to add pet powers drained me of wanting to work on it recently, though (*punches pet AI*). Its also hard to follow cause I had to condense phrases and get as much power info out as I could, in light of the wiki being down- so its not for light reading (unlike Selphea's- which is tons easier to navigate and interpret).

(still has some of the same issues: the stars buff, 3.4% Ego_Str bonus, and I stupidly left my TP on when taking the energy values >< latter is an easier fix, though; also not complete in terms of adding CC stuff, and much advantage-related thingery)

Nice list! Looks like I don't need to update mine after all :tongue:

Mind if I put an abridged/mobile-friendly version of that up where my current one is? With full credit and linking back to yours of course.

Also, where's Telekinetic Assault?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Nice list! Looks like I don't need to update mine after all :tongue:

Mind if I put an abridged/mobile-friendly version of that up where my current one is? With full credit and linking back to yours of course.

Sure, go ahead. Since there's some interest, I'll resume working on it a bit more- refining things, adding stuff I may have missed..
    Also, where's Telekinetic Assault?

like that XD thanks
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yay

I'll probably do a vid to measure taps, charges and full maintains per minute to identify whether there's a hidden GCD. Or rather, what the hidden GCD is, and adjust the numbers from there.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Updated my spreadsheet to include some missed powers (March of the Dead in pets, TKA in general powers, Ice Cage in DoTs, ST's Chained Kunai in CD powers), added a new tab for dmg-dealing CC or misc powers (like sigils or ego choke), corrected a few things (earth splitter isn't Str/melee scaling; venom breath as SN instead of Bestial SN, storm invocation as Primal Sorc instead of just Sorc), and gave AR's Mow Em Down its own entry as I did for some other spell-altering advs (was cleaner and made more sense that way).

stuff like correcting most of the energy costs, adding ultimate spells, general proofreading, etc- to come a bit later (dealing w/ some RL things atm).
    I'll probably do a vid to measure taps, charges and full maintains per minute to identify whether there's a hidden GCD. Or rather, what the hidden GCD is, and adjust the numbers from there

Cool. Yeah that's prob worth a look into, just in case.
  • Options
    bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Updated my spreadsheet to include some missed powers (March of the Dead in pets, TKA in general powers, Ice Cage in DoTs, ST's Chained Kunai in CD powers), added a new tab for dmg-dealing CC or misc powers (like sigils or ego choke), corrected a few things (earth splitter isn't Str/melee scaling; venom breath as SN instead of Bestial SN, storm invocation as Primal Sorc instead of just Sorc), and gave AR's Mow Em Down its own entry as I did for some other spell-altering advs (was cleaner and made more sense that way).

Awesome work.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    thanks, brave.

Took my poor Weaky character out to get mauled by manimals and lose the star penalty- all for the name of science! .. er, math. Also took off the TP when re-analyzing stuff.

So, now the dmg and energy cost numbers should be closer to true base for a lvl 40 (no gear, 5 in all stats, no stars or TP, hybrid role). Still can't get rid of that 1.4% Ego/Str bonus.. oh well :p

Also added a couple other adv-based powers I missed last time, fixed a few errors here and there, and added the ultimate spells (though I wasn't very thorough w/ them).

New link to that here, also gonna update the older posts w/ this new link since the old/outdated versions are now closed.

Still some things needed to wrap the spreadsheet up, but later; I'm tired of working on this for now. If there's quick typo fix needed anywhere in the #s, though, let me know.
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nice work. Could you include a legend either here or on the spreadsheet to elaborate for those less versed in parsing (such as the difference between T-I DPS and C_E DPS, etc.)? Would probably save you a few questions as well as make it more useful to all. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Nice work. Could you include a legend either here or on the spreadsheet to elaborate for those less versed in parsing (such as the difference between T-I DPS and C_E DPS, etc.)? Would probably save you a few questions as well as make it more useful to all. Thanks!

Sure. I was planning on including a key/legend tab, but didn't get around to it yet. Will prob also include the standard debuff/effects (like clinging flames, stagger etc) on the same tab- since those have to be covered somewhere.

edit: done and added to current version