test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I saw our lunge there

gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
For those who are following NWO this is the last video. I couldn't help to notice a strong similarity in some of the movements.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That Sword Blender Spin looks dumb...
    If i had 24 pints of ale in a tavern 22 minutes before, does it include projectile vomiting?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It looks like it's no more than a CO expansion.

The same way Cimerora was to CoH.

It doesn't really have the feel of it being it's own game. However...I'm only judging it on that one video.

I definitely wish the attacks were less DA:2...and more realistic looking.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'll stick with CO thank you very much. Neverwinter seems team based thus making it a pile of ****.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The animation movement. The stances. A lot of the sound files feel reminiscent of STo and CO.
  • enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not surprised there's some animation sharing going on, heck over in Star Trek Online Q uses our flight animation to hover.
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »
    I'm not surprised there's some animation sharing going on, heck over in Star Trek Online Q uses our flight animation to hover.

I expected some of the regular animations to be copied.

I didn't expect to see what is basically the Devastator AT and sword cyclone in a game like that.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Same figures but different theme and control. xp

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gandales wrote: »
    For those who are following NWO this is the last video. I couldn't help to notice a strong similarity in some of the movements.

Ironclad has better swordplay than that. All I was saw Cleave, Arc of Ruin, and Vicious Descent that entire video.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hopefully we'll receive some animations and emotes back in return.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Standard cryptic procedure:
    COPY > PASTE > DONE

that video was puke...no i wont fanboy up! it GENUINELY looked bad! those animations, dont get me started.
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    COPY > PASTE > DONE

that video was puke...no i wont fanboy up! it GENUINELY looked bad! those animations, dont get me started.

It didnt look bad it looked rather good. But its the same old same. Elves and **** have been done to death. Thats why I wont bother theres a dozen fantasy mmo's out there.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    COPY > PASTE > DONE

I thought it looked great, to be honest.
    biffsig.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why would you throw your sword to the ground towards your enemies and then jump after it? Like spearing an enemy with it would make more sense....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Why would you throw your sword to the ground towards your enemies and then jump after it? Like spearing an enemy with it would make more sense....

Standard anime attack routine. That's all. Cryptic trying to appeal to the anime fans. Giant swords, flashy attacks.....yeah. Rubbish. Looks like I'm waiting for Elder Scrolls Online.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I would like for them to start with the STO airguitar they took back after putting on PTS. I know they charge for it in STO, I have it there. We could sure use some quality and even niche emotes of our own too. Though I would rather those be in addition to more content.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Not to put a damper in the enthusiasm but I don't recall getting anything from STO after it was finished. Aside from lockboxes.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maybe after it fails cryptic will leave fantasy lore altogether

Telepathy Now
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, I'm up for it. I just hope Cryptic doesn't skimp out of the Lifetime sub perk for getting into the Beta.

Because I want to play it.
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not to put a damper in the enthusiasm but I don't recall getting anything from STO after it was finished. Aside from lockboxes.

I can think of one thing (maybe). The queue tech used for alerts was adapted from the queue system developed for instanced group content in STO. You could say this was just core game engine technology though I suppose that was just implemented first in STO.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It didnt look bad it looked rather good. But its the same old same. Elves and **** have been done to death. Thats why I wont bother theres a dozen fantasy mmo's out there.

Yes, but this time it's Cryptic. Which is both good and bad. Sure there'll be lots of bugs, delays, and half assed content, but on the flip side the combat and charater creation (which, IMO, are 2 of the 3 biggest aspects of most MMOs) will be pretty awesome, and this time the Foundry will be in from launch so that should alleviate some of the lack of content.
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How to ignore CO, a refreshing Super-hero based MMO, for another generic DoD style fantasy/medieval MMO. 10 lessons.

• freakstreakfreakstreak Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Neverwinter looks nice, BUT! Those are my personal reasons for been skeptical about the game :

1. There are No Superheroes involved! :biggrin:
    2. The game has yet again a medieval setting, which means forests, castles, dungeons, elves, dwarfs, and goes on.....
    3. Cryptic is a Superhero / Sci-Fi game producing company, Neverwinter feels out of place..
    4. Will there be a powerful character editor like CO's, or yet another facegen-based-copy-pasted-i-see-my-clones-playing one?
    5. Am i going to be forced to wear "what drops through the cracks" like almost every fantasy game in the business?
    6. If so, will i at least be able to customize the item? And i don't mean it's color only..
    7. Am i going to see a dozen of people wearing the same armor as myself?
    8. Is the gameplay going to be unique, or a cheap clone of what we've seen already in fantasy games?
    9. Is the game going to be grindy like almost every fantasy MMOs out there?
    10. Will i be "forced" to follow a class instead of having the freedom to choose what i want like in CO?
    11. Is the game going to rely yet again on the "Holy Trinity" when it comes to group content?
    12. Is there anything original in the content? Something we haven't seen before in a Fantasy game in order to make the game unique?

I suppose i'll have no answers until the beta..

It's a cruel fact of nature that i'm a Superhero fan to the core, though.. Other people grew up with "Lord of the Rings", i grew up with X-Men and Batman.. I can't see myself being "hooked" with a medieval fantasy game.. Never happened before, not going to happen now.. Seen it all already and i can't see anything original about a "Medieval Fantasy" title..

Not saying that i won't give the game a chance, but i doubt it'll keep me as an active player as much as CoX or CO have..
    witchcraft.jpg

• docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013

1. There are No Superheroes involved! :biggrin:

*snip*

It's a cruel fact of nature that i'm a Superhero fan to the core, though.. Other people grew up with "Lord of the Rings", i grew up with X-Men and Batman.. I can't see myself being "hooked" with a medieval fantasy game.. Never happened before, not going to happen now.. Seen it all already and i can't see anything original about a "Medieval Fantasy" title..

Not saying that i won't give the game a chance, but i doubt it'll keep me as an active player as much as CoX or CO have..

It's not just you, Freakstreak. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool comic book nerd, which is why I never really played anything beyond CoX, while many of my friends wandered off to other games. If it weren't for the game's demise, I'd still be there. When it shut down, CO was the only logical place for me to go.

As such, I ALSO have no real interest in "Neverwinter", save for the vague hope that its rising tide might lift all of Cryptic's boats, and bring further success and support to CO...even though we all know that's probably not the case.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I, too, have no interest in standard fantasy MMOs. I'm a comic/super-hero geek, not a gamer. I love prose fantasy, but the games are all boring to me.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    NWO seems to have a Foundry on the get go. :(
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I thought it looked great, to be honest.

Yeah. But you don't get paid to think.

Scratch that. You don't get paid...

:wink:
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    @all the "its just another generic fantasy MMO" complaints

It isn't. Its a D&D MMO--the definitive generic fantasy game all generic fantasy RPGs have been based off for ages, and the first published and most popular PnP RPG of all time, which gave rise to the RPG genre. Granted, D&D itself was a ripoff of Tolkien, there's already another D&D MMO (DDO) and this one is based on a dying soon to be obsolete edition of the game, but that's a different matter >.>

On topic, I'm not really surprised but wish they wouldn't shoehorn metagame, Cryptic/CO mechanics on a D&D game. Personally I hate the idea of lunges and consider them to be purely a metagaming mechanic. There are no "lunges" in real life (at least not the way they work in game). The purpose of lunges is to serve as a workaround for the lack of ranged capabilities in pure melee characters, and pure melee characters are purely a game construct.

There are no true "pure" melee warriors. Melee focused? Perhaps. Pure melee? Its your funeral but you're not going to get to ranged foes before they shoot you down. The traditional workaround for a melee combatants' lack of ranged capabilities in both real life and PnP RPGs (such as D&D) has always been:

A) Get a freaking ranged weapon of some sort--throwing knives, rocks, anything. That is what they're for. Or...

B) Find some cover and/or sneak your way to ranged opponents to avoid getting shot on the way there.

That's the way it should be and there is no real reason to limit characters to pure melee, especially in a D&D game.

It isn't. Its a D&D MMO--the definitive generic fantasy game all generic fantasy RPGs have been based off for ages, and the first published and most popular PnP RPG of all time, which gave rise to the RPG genre. Granted, D&D itself was a ripoff of Tolkien, there's already another D&D MMO (DDO) and this one is based on a dying soon to be obsolete edition of the game, but that's a different matter >.>

On topic, I'm not really surprised but wish they wouldn't shoehorn metagame, Cryptic/CO mechanics on a D&D game. Personally I hate the idea of lunges and consider them to be purely a metagaming mechanic. There are no "lunges" in real life (at least not the way they work in game). The purpose of lunges is to serve as a workaround for the lack of ranged capabilities in pure melee characters, and pure melee characters are purely a game construct.

There are no true "pure" melee warriors. Melee focused? Perhaps. Pure melee? Its your funeral but you're not going to get to ranged foes before they shoot you down. The traditional workaround for a melee combatants' lack of ranged capabilities in both real life and PnP RPGs (such as D&D) has always been:

A) Get a freaking ranged weapon of some sort--throwing knives, rocks, anything. That is what they're for. Or...

B) Find some cover and/or sneak your way to ranged opponents to avoid getting shot on the way there.

That's the way it should be and there is no real reason to limit characters to pure melee, especially in a D&D game.

I consider a lunge an exaggerated tackle - once you're in the air or moving, you can't really fight that momentum, and the auto aim thing makes sense too since, in real life, you have much better coordination and precision of your movements.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pion01 wrote: »

I consider a lunge an exaggerated tackle - once you're in the air or moving, you can't really fight that momentum, and the auto aim thing makes sense too since, in real life, you have much better coordination and precision of your movements.

A melee fighter relying entirely on tackles to reach ranged attackers will be riddled with holes by the time they get there, even if it will get them there faster than calmly walking or sprinting there.

The same way Cimerora was to CoH.

It doesn't really have the feel of it being it's own game. However...I'm only judging it on that one video.

Remember that NWO is based on D&D4 so a superhuman game base makes more sense than a fantasy one.

It will differ from CO by probably having less buttons, in order to model the D&D4 system closer ...

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A melee fighter relying entirely on tackles to reach ranged attackers will be riddled with holes by the time they get there, even if it will get them there faster than calmly walking or sprinting there.

I'm not saying it's exactly like a tackle, I'm just sayin it's the visual representation of a thingymabobber.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    visionstorm01 won't suspend:

And people can't fly nor shoot fire and ice out of their hands. :wink:

EDIT: Oh, wait, you were talking specifically Neverwinter? Yeah, swordfighting and armor don't work like that, either.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    @all the "its just another generic fantasy MMO" complaints

It isn't. Its a D&D MMO--the definitive generic fantasy game all generic fantasy RPGs have been based off for ages, and the first published and most popular PnP RPG of all time, which gave rise to the RPG genre. Granted, D&D itself was a ripoff of Tolkien, there's already another D&D MMO (DDO) and this one is based on a dying soon to be obsolete edition of the game, but that's a different matter >.>.

MMO's and computer RPGs in general, have outgrown, and evolved beyond, DnD. For that matter DnD has outgrown and evolved beyond DnD. I expect that if you somehow sent a copy of 4E back in time to an early DnD player group they would not recognize it as the same game. Ultimately, though DnD was and is an important influence on the rise of computer role playing games, it is now no more significant in the industry than any other game.

You missed some historical workarounds (more appropriate for a fantasy rather than modern setting):

C) Suck it up. Close with the ranged combatant hoping that your armor, your god, or your luck are with you. Historically this was used much more than option b, and probably as often as A. Remember that, when facing a specialized ranged combatant, a thrown weapon doesn't eliminate his superior attack envelope, it merely reduces it.

D) Charge. Ofteny combined with option C, this reduces a ranged foe's attack envelope. If you are primarily a melee combatant then the single most important thing you can do when facing specialized range combatants is close the distance.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I promised a buddy who wanted to try this game that he could use my free lifetimer key for it...

Although now I'm wondering if it will be bound to account or a key you need to enter on the website. If its the former, it's a wasted key. If the latter, it gets used.

Although either way both of us looked at this and said meh.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!