test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wow this game is good

battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Yes i did just say that. And sure i've been playing this game over a year now.

But two things have given me an enriched appreciation for this game.

Firstly my laptop died, the one i have been playing on all this time with graphics at one bar and even then i had to drop to minimum to go to monster island or do a radiation rumble alert.

So i got a brand new laptop that can run the game on max graphics and wow! I love the games visuals and style.

Secondly my brother decided to take a look at the competition, namely DCUO... a game i had been meaning to get around to checking out especially because of the use of my favourite batman voice actor... but watching my brother wrestle with the awfully limited character creator and the tutorial... he quit in disgust shortly into the tutorial and we were both left with a new appreciation of COs character creator power sets gameplay and style of graphics.

Yes CO has its flaws, i've seen them, been frustrated by them, discussed them and seen the forum filled with posts about them. Hey i still want my droopy antenna retroscifi bubbledome custom acessories back in all their bouncy coolness *points at pre-nighthawk-patch avatar with the antennas, then at the sig*.

But even with the flaws i enjoy CO in a big big way, i like it much more than STO and waaaaay more than DCUO.

With all the negative stuff on the forums (and i'm not saying there's no place for criticism, some of the complaints are certainly deserved *points at avatar again then sig again*) i thought it worth making the point.

This game is still good, i still play it, i personally think it's better than the competition.
the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
Post edited by battybattybats on

Comments

• Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You know your post was just what I needed right now and I thank you for it. Yes this game has its flaws and don't get the publisher care that it would deserve but it is a good game a game that deserve to live and prosper (yes I know that quote is more STO than CO but still...)
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed. This game is beyond awesome.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Enjoy your new computer!

I had a similar experience as well around one year or more into this game when I finally got a machine that could run this at full settings I was amazed at what I saw. I felt like I had ruined the game for myself playing it at low settings for so long. You miss out a lot at the lower settings with a choppy machine--can't even see the buildings from a far and character models take a bit to load up, etc.
    This thread is about WoW right?
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good to see posts like this.

I played the game for over a year on completely low settings and STILL running at a cool 22 FPS. Then I stopped being broke and got a good computer, and hot damn. Game looks nice.

I still think they could have done with some texture work to augment the light work, but hey, it's still a great game with great looks.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This thread is about WoW right?

Nah, the title would have to be something like, "WoW, as a game, sucks," if it were. :tongue:

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've only been playing a month, but I'm having enough fun to look into upgrading my graphics card, as well. When I see the difference between the pics I take and the pics people post here, I can tell I'm missing out on a LOT. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If the game was not good, and had GREAT potential, many of us would not bother to constantly ask for improvements and more content...

The game is good, it does many things right, but it needs more story driven PERMANENT content, it needs new areas, it certainly needs the Foundry.
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree, this came is good. Most of us enjoy it very much. We just wish someone would work on it, that is why you see the forum rage.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And good thing there's only few competitors. Ok, 1 competitor, DCUO. And the yet to be released Marvel Heroes....yea. Not too worried about it.
    Imagine if Marvel/Disney would actually woke up, learns what in DCUO(CO) went wrong and make Marvel Universum Online, with the character creator, power customing compared to CO with villain faction. The resources those companies could spew out is in gazillions.
    But hey, superheroes aren't the 'New, Shiney and Awesome' in gaming industry.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Marvel Heroes isn't really an RPG MMO. It is a Diablo-style multiplayer adventure game.
    You can make a team of all Deadpools!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And good thing there's only few competitors. Ok, 1 competitor, DCUO. And the yet to be released Marvel Heroes....yea. Not too worried about it.
    Imagine if Marvel/Disney would actually woke up, learns what in DCUO(CO) went wrong and make Marvel Universum Online, with the character creator, power customing compared to CO with villain faction. The resources those companies could spew out is in gazillions.

Yeah just big-bikkies in the box-office and all over merchandise selling consistently for decades. But shhh, i wont tell them if you don't.
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ....This game is still good, i still play it, i personally think it's better than the competition.

Did Cryptic make a promo-bot? :P

No, seriously, I thought the DC tutorial was fun... not sure why you guys didn't like it. Haven't been playing it lately. I wasn't sure what to do next, and I don't know anyone who plays it, except for a few friends.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I love the graphics turned on full (thank you NVIDIA for updating that driver!). Now if only my beautiful toon wasn't regulated to sitting on a bench whenever I log in..

Telepathy Now.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Then that my friend would be Amalgam Online!!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_Comics

If they were going to merge... :B

Back on topic. Yes, this game is awesome and I love it very much :3

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah just big-bikkies in the box-office and all over merchandise selling consistently for decades. But shhh, i wont tell them if you don't.

Finn said in the "gaming industry", not the cinema.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've only been playing a month, but I'm having enough fun to look into upgrading my graphics card, as well. When I see the difference between the pics I take and the pics people post here, I can tell I'm missing out on a LOT. :biggrin:

You really, really, really are.

Consider - the best part of the game is customization and power selection. On low settings you see maybe 1/4th of the customization and power details. You're basically just seeing 1/4th of the best part of the game.
    klitty wrote: »
    Then that my friend would be Amalgam Online!!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_Comics

If they were going to merge... :B

Back on topic. Yes, this game is awesome and I love it very much :3

God no, we'd probably end up with the diablo style gameplay and power customization, and the ****ty character creator and nauseating fx.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    I love the graphics turned on full (thank you NVIDIA for updating that driver!). Now if only my beautiful toon wasn't regulated to sitting on a bench whenever I log in..

Telepathy Now.

??????????
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Did Cryptic make a promo-bot? :P

Lol. If they did my sig wouldn't be complaining still about the missing Droopy Antenna costume part that hasn't worked since nighthawk.
    No, seriously, I thought the DC tutorial was fun... not sure why you guys didn't like it. Haven't been playing it lately. I wasn't sure what to do next, and I don't know anyone who plays it, except for a few friends.

We didn't get very far through it.
    The whole setup origin i thought was bad as it railroaded everyone into a set origin story unnecessarily. For a one-player game? Sure that could be cool. But for a game where we all get to make our own heroes it's just dreadful. CO's tutorial just has everyone in/near/within-reach-of the city during the Qular attack and the rest is up to the player enabling any origin story we like. Then the animation looked blah and the gameplay worse and after character creation was already so dissapointing it got turned off and we booted up champions and played happily for hours.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Finn said in the "gaming industry", not the cinema.

Lol, understanding of that was actually implicit in my point.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Imagine if Marvel/Disney would actually woke up, learns what in DCUO(CO) went wrong and make Marvel Universum Online, with the character creator, power customing compared to CO with villain faction.

F that. Get Pixar/Disney together to make The Incredibles Online and I would explode.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    F that. Get Pixar/Disney together to make The Incredibles Online and I would explode.

That...would probably get my money honestly.
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited January 2013

That would be awesome...

but...

You would not get a cape on that game... to be true to the lore... :P
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That...would probably get my money honestly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Out of all superhero movies ever made, Incredibles was the best. Yes, even counting Avengers.

If it was the graphical stylings of Incredibles, legendary Pixar storytelling, and Champions Online character building, it would be an unstoppable force of undescribable thing. I would throw so much money at that.
    That would be awesome...

but...

You would not get a cape on that game... to be true to the lore... :P

Pfff... I'd put on two capes... just to see what happens. :D
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We didn't get very far through it.
    The whole setup origin i thought was bad as it railroaded everyone into a set origin story unnecessarily. For a one-player game? Sure that could be cool. But for a game where we all get to make our own heroes it's just dreadful. CO's tutorial just has everyone in/near/within-reach-of the city during the Qular attack and the rest is up to the player enabling any origin story we like. Then the animation looked blah and the gameplay worse and after character creation was already so dissapointing it got turned off and we booted up champions and played happily for hours.

Yes, yup and I feel your pain. I spent a month trying out DC's Sidekick Online when it went F2P. They got wall climbing, gliding, lots of masks and that's it. It's a console game with no, love for the PC side whatsoever. :frown:

I like CO's style and how I get to play the way I want to. In recent months I started to build my own lore within the game for my toons. That alone gives me reason to care about them to play, other than just a neat costume idea running around.
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ??????????

Just Jay, who in every thread s/he posts in, lets us know that s/he won't play his character with Telepathy as is, and that s/he wants the new powers NAO!

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013

No need to imagine that : back in 2007 Cyptic studio sold his quota of City of Heroes to Ncsoft to start with Marvel a mmog based on the marvel supeheroes that should be published by Microsoft (not Disney but almost) . In february 2008 the projet was changed due at what a Micrsoft spokeperson said was an inability to compete in the market of mmog.
    Cryptic then bought the IP of a pen and paper rpg named "Champions" and used the code developed for Marvel Superheroes to develop it.
    If you have never heard of that game :tongue:
    here

you can download it:biggrin:
    I was told that it has a great character creator and you can costumize your powers like you want
    like you can see "been there , done that"-
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Out of all superhero movies ever made, Incredibles was the best. Yes, even counting Avengers.

If it was the graphical stylings of Incredibles, legendary Pixar storytelling, and Champions Online character building, it would be an unstoppable force of undescribable thing. I would throw so much money at that.

Christ, no. There was almost no depth to that storytelling except in the early part of the movie, which really served no purpose to the overall story and was pretty much dropped after being used for a one off gag about capes, the characters were almost completely one-dimensional, and the graphical style was just no. It was like watching Woody play superman.

Was it a fun movie that I enjoyed thoroughly? Of course. But best superhero movie? Hell no, and certainly not to make a game out of it.

The four color nostalgia, I think, is the worst possible thing to happen to anything regarding superheroes, and is going to forever stunt their growth outside of the comicbook medium. The only real success was the Timm/Dini-verse/DCAU because they threw all that **** out and started at the core of this type of storytelling - characterization. If you look at The Incredibles, that's how Pixar started too - by creating a character, a relationship, and the world around them. They then proceeded to immediately abandon that to a B plot about a one note character (Syndrome). What were Bob's unique characterstics? Why was he a paragon of virtue? What made him a champion of rightetude? What was any one character trait about him that was unrelated to his family? The same goes for the rest - Dash was a hyperactive teenage boy, Elastigirl was a mom spread too thin, and the shrinking violet turned invisible and was actually named "Violet."

Megamind was better.

Partially related - creating a world for your characters (and not abandoning the premise). For something like an MMO this is harder, as you have to make the world fit a more generic and varied character, but if that's the need, then diversify without compromising. This brings me back to the 4 color nostalgia ruining superheroes. They weren't meant to be ultra cheesy one note characters, they were meant to represent the spirit of what was best of people at the time. A lot of that gets lost due to time, limitations, and most importantly, cultural shortcuts that no longer hold the same meaning (like how a dude in front of a volcano can pretty much just be assumed to be evil). And other stuffs.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    pion01 wrote: »

Christ, no. There was almost no depth to that storytelling except in the early part of the movie, which really served no purpose to the overall story and was pretty much dropped after being used for a one off gag about capes, the characters were almost completely one-dimensional, and the graphical style was just no. It was like watching Woody play superman.

Was it a fun movie that I enjoyed thoroughly? Of course. But best superhero movie? Hell no, and certainly not to make a game out of it.

The four color nostalgia, I think, is the worst possible thing to happen to anything regarding superheroes, and is going to forever stunt their growth outside of the comicbook medium. The only real success was the Timm/Dini-verse/DCAU because they threw all that **** out and started at the core of this type of storytelling - characterization. If you look at The Incredibles, that's how Pixar started too - by creating a character, a relationship, and the world around them. They then proceeded to immediately abandon that to a B plot about a one note character (Syndrome). What were Bob's unique characterstics? Why was he a paragon of virtue? What made him a champion of rightetude? What was any one character trait about him that was unrelated to his family? The same goes for the rest - Dash was a hyperactive teenage boy, Elastigirl was a mom spread too thin, and the shrinking violet turned invisible and was actually named "Violet."

Megamind was better.

Partially related - creating a world for your characters (and not abandoning the premise). For something like an MMO this is harder, as you have to make the world fit a more generic and varied character, but if that's the need, then diversify without compromising. This brings me back to the 4 color nostalgia ruining superheroes. They weren't meant to be ultra cheesy one note characters, they were meant to represent the spirit of what was best of people at the time. A lot of that gets lost due to time, limitations, and most importantly, cultural shortcuts that no longer hold the same meaning (like how a dude in front of a volcano can pretty much just be assumed to be evil). And other stuffs.

Hey you, shut up.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Your all wrong best the set of Superhero films ever are the Ultraman ones. We are talking about a guy that bench presses Godzilla's idiot cousin Jirass in his spare time.

ultraman2-721261.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hey you, shut up.

sad-face1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    sad-face1.png

I got nothin but love for you, baby!

I was going to give you an infallible retort, but didn't wanna derail the thread completely. :D
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What were Bob's unique characterstics? Why was he a paragon of virtue? What made him a champion of rightetude? What was any one character trait about him that was unrelated to his family?

Just no mang.

The Incredibles characters were presented in a fashion few hero movies even bother to attempt. They were real people first with real life problems first we can relate to who just happen to be heroes as opposed to stuff like The Avengers which was just a kick butt super team with nothing going on except the crisis. They weren't people, they were god like beings fighting another godlike being..and that's largely it. No personal interactions, few relationship issues, almost non existent mention of any home life.

The part I snipped made me raise an eyebrow because it's a central theme to the entire movie. Bob's unique characteristics were his overwhelming sense of pride (to the point of arrogance), determination and the utter NEED to help people and it's hammered home throughout the entire movie.

1) When he's saving the city right before his own wedding.
    2) When he's helping people fight the red tape at his insurance company to feel like he's doing some good in the world.
    3) When he's PISSED that a man is being mugged and that a man used his personal life to prevent him from taking action.
    4) When he's listening to police scanners to find crimes to work on.
    5) When it's mentioned that he keeps losing jobs because he just can't stop being a hero and the government has to clean up after him.

His character is presented for the entire film.

Sure, he also did some these things because he enjoyed them...like so many other hero/adrenaline junkies in comics.

What about his moral code? Even after thinking his entire family was murdered he still wouldn't take Mirage's life. That was a key characteristic not every hero possesses though many do.

His strength of conviction. Even after thinking he lost his family he still went off to save the city, the same people who wanted no more supers, even though he had every reason to turn his back on them and just look out for his own family and leave the area since he knows that Syndrome knows who they are now...and he didn't kill Syndrome to prevent retaliation.

They didn't abandon this premise of heroes being regular people on the inside with extraordinary gifts for anything. They hammered that premise into the ground and then beat it with the body of the dead horse for two hours.

Bonus points. The hero had numerous tangible flaws and wasn't a paragon of perfection like sooooo many other heroes have been presented.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just no mang.

The Incredibles characters were presented in a fashion few hero movies even bother to attempt. They were real people first with real life problems first we can relate to who just happen to be heroes as opposed to stuff like The Avengers which was just a kick butt super team with nothing going on except the crisis. They weren't people, they were god like beings fighting another godlike being..and that's largely it. No personal interactions, few relationship issues, almost non existent mention of any home life.

The part I snipped made me raise an eyebrow because it's a central theme to the entire movie. Bob's unique characteristics were his overwhelming sense of pride (to the point of arrogance), determination and the utter NEED to help people and it's hammered home throughout the entire movie.

2) When he's helping people fight the red tape at his insurance company to feel like he's doing some good in the world.
    3) When he's PISSED that a man is being mugged and that a man used his personal life to prevent him from taking action.
    5) When it's mentioned that he keeps losing jobs because he just can't stop being a hero and the government has to clean up after him.

Sure, he also did some these things because he enjoyed them...like so many other hero/adrenaline junkies in comics.

What about his moral code? Even after thinking his entire family was murdered he still wouldn't take Mirage's life. That was a key characteristic not every hero possesses though many do.

His strength of conviction. Even after thinking he lost his family he still went off to save the city, the same people who wanted no more supers, even though he had every reason to turn his back on them and just look out for his own family and leave the area since he knows that Syndrome knows who they are now...and he didn't kill Syndrome to prevent retaliation.

They didn't abandon this premise of heroes being regular people on the inside with extraordinary gifts for anything. They hammered that premise into the ground and then beat it with the body of the dead horse for two hours.

Bonus points. The hero had numerous tangible flaws and wasn't a paragon of perfection like sooooo many other heroes have been presented.

But its Disney so its auto-****. Remember peoples Walt wasnt a nice man at at all :O
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Sniptastic

One of the reasons that my favorite comic series is Amazing Spider-Man is because he spends almost half the time as Peter Parker and all the crazy balancing act he has to put on as Parker. And though I didn't read too much of it, Iron Man's Stark side was a great weakness for the character.

The whole family thing is big with me, and it's one of the reasons I like Incredibles so much. Another big reason is the artwork. I looooove highly stylized art. If there were an MMO with art like that, I'd never get bored of it.

And thanks for the kick in the pants, Pion, about the four color nostalgia. :P I can't get with comic books these days, and the ones that were before my time are the only ones I seem to enjoy (except for Groo, Sergio Aragones is amazing).

You just wish Rob Liefeld controlled everything and drew every comic book. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You just wish Rob Liefeld controlled everything and drew every comic book. :biggrin:

Pion is looking up your address and preparing a nuke as I type this...:tongue:
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Foot lockboxes, with a 1:500 chance of getting a right foot.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed RE: The Incredibles. It is the best superhero movie.

I love Champions Online, but unfortunately it's pretty much dead to me unless they ever get around to putting in Foundry. Too much of any creativity you put into the game is wasted -- nobody knows who you Nemesis is, your backstory is, at best, a blurb in your Info and whatever you can emote during other stuff... sigh.

DCUO is worth playing so you can fly over the city. That looks really cool. Actually playing it, not so much.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I didn't know that the shoulder-mounted minigun and rocket launcher had laser targeting... nor did I know that the shell casings were expelled until I got a new computer.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I disagree with this thread completely. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been playing this game daily for two years out of spite.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Lol. If they did my sig wouldn't be complaining still about the missing Droopy Antenna costume part that hasn't worked since nighthawk.

I meant a bot meant to seem like an unbiased human. :P

I like this game too, but at this point I couldn't recommend it to anyone; not enough quality content is rolled out often enough, and there are no real release dates, and too many bugs and not enough people playing; all the good players are leaving slowly but surely.
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    I disagree with this thread completely. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been playing this game daily for two years out of spite.

Well let's face it, the game's good when it's about screwing / talking / arguing / dueling / dancing / doing random stuff around in Renaissance Center, and only this can manage to convince people to get pulled back from their ultra hyper super new MMO's back to CO. And alot of people here love this game, and would hate for CO to disappear. It's not only out of spite at moments, but yes; I can't swallow the fact that they're ignoring a game that is such a breath of fresh air for another fantasy/medieval themed DoD style game.

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just no mang.

Yup.
    Pow Zoom

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

Not sure if serious
  • Options
    thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I do agree that champions (forums mostly these days) is always good for a laugh.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ...stuffs...

Hmm... You bring up many good points. Might have to watch it again. Prolly wont, but might. But I wasn't saying Avengers was the best either, I think it was the best sort-of-sequel, but all that other stuff came about in the respective movies, of which I'd have to say that, although flawed, Cap was the best done, and IMO was as close to perfect for what it was trying to achieve.
    One of the reasons that my favorite comic series is Amazing Spider-Man is because he spends almost half the time as Peter Parker and all the crazy balancing act he has to put on as Parker. And though I didn't read too much of it, Iron Man's Stark side was a great weakness for the character.

The whole family thing is big with me, and it's one of the reasons I like Incredibles so much. Another big reason is the artwork. I looooove highly stylized art. If there were an MMO with art like that, I'd never get bored of it.

And thanks for the kick in the pants, Pion, about the four color nostalgia. :P I can't get with comic books these days, and the ones that were before my time are the only ones I seem to enjoy (except for Groo, Sergio Aragones is amazing).

Grrr....

I do agree with you about Spidey tho, but all that stuffs came after the "Golden Age" that everyone puts on a pedestal. Even some of the older stuff wasn't as super cheese as people make it out to be, it was just rushed for space.

I also didn't think Incredibles was what you describe. I feel like it started to be that, then abandoned it partway through.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Hmm... You bring up many good points. Might have to watch it again. Prolly wont, but might. But I wasn't saying Avengers was the best either, I think it was the best sort-of-sequel, but all that other stuff came about in the respective movies, of which I'd have to say that, although flawed, Cap was the best done, and IMO was as close to perfect for what it was trying to achieve.

I only brought up Avengers because of my issue with it regarding the character backgrounds.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    One of the reasons that my favorite comic series is Amazing Spider-Man -snip-

Oh man, I was almost over ASM #700 too.

Blast it, BLAST IT ALL!

keanulegoset_zps00d3498e.jpg
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited January 2013

In my opinion, Avengers is the best all-out action film. I mean, I enjoy every damn second of it. And the Hulk has been my favorite superhero since I was only a couple years old. So this movie, I think it's top notch. But to me, Incredibles just had so much more.
    Grrr....

I do agree with you about Spidey tho, but all that stuffs came after the "Golden Age" that everyone puts on a pedestal. Even some of the older stuff wasn't as super cheese as people make it out to be, it was just rushed for space.

I don't think I put them up on a pedestal. It's just what I like. I haven't read any Golden Age stuff, I don't think. Mainly Silver Age. I started off reading Bronze. Did so for like 10 years or something, and stopped sometime when the "Iron" age started, then Liefeld broke comics. (I actually read New Mutants, and into X Force). I stopped reading sometime after that, and when I got back into comic books, they'd changed hard. All pictures, little substance, little reading.

I do like the cornball stuff of the Silver Age. I love when the characters or the narrators (seriously, what happened to narration in comic books?!) describe in detail what they're doing. It's hilarious when the Hulk is like "First I'm gonna do this! Then I'm gonna pick up this, and do THAT to you! And now I'll just do THIS! And then you're gonna beat me with GAS!"

Really my big gripe is that nowadays everyone's trying to be all badass (Wolverine Complex) and it only takes a few minutes to finish a book. It's just boring. I'd totally be open to checking out new comic books that aren't like this, though.
    Oh man, I was almost over ASM #700 too.

Blast it, BLAST IT ALL!

keanulegoset_zps00d3498e.jpg

I think I'm missing some kinda reference here...?
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What was this thread about again?
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!