Protocol Alpha Initiated

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited January 2013 in Super News Network
+++UNTIL DECRYPTION KEY ACCEPTED+++
+++WELCOME, AGENT+++

+++ENCRYPTION PROTOCOL ALPHA INITIATED+++
+++PRIORITY MESSAGE FORWARDED BY ANONYMOUS SOURCE+++
+++WARNING: RECORDING HAS BEEN DISRUPTED+++

-- something's got them all stirred up down here. Whatever they're up to, it's --

-- I think they're tracking our comms. Tribunal Actual, be advised, safehouses may be compromised --

-- what? Give me resources from Carolingian or Clockwork! Don't tell me that there's not enough for --

-- start evacuating. I don't care, they can go to Columbus or Indianapolis. This isn't just going to go away, and unlike the Qularr, they're already here --

+++END OF TRANSMISSIONS+++
+++PROTOCOL ALPHA TERMINATED+++
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ermahgerdness!!!!!! I Knew It! Wheres Mah Telepathy And Aoe Shielding!!?
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Dare I hope?

Thanks for posting this, TT. We need a morale boost, even a small one, right now.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    OOOOOooooooooooooooooooo....!
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    ironmastodonironmastodon Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Interesting..... OK, you have my attention, now dare you keep it? :)
    "We don't have time to negotiate in a civilized way... Destroy them!"

"Captains log: I can take up a holding pattern while engineering locates the source of this malfunction, but this area is known to be a frequent destination of pirates. If we are detected by enemy ships, we won't be able to defend ourselves."
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Either someone had too many drinks or...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    riouhotaruriouhotaru Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Bleak ones? Roin'esh? WHAT?!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    At a guess something to do with either Mechanon, Eurostar, or both?

"Captains log: I can take up a holding pattern while engineering locates the source of this malfunction, but this area is known to be a frequent destination of pirates. If we are detected by enemy ships, we won't be able to defend ourselves."
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It is very Cryptic, isn't it.
    There was a video which may or may not be about the event up, on a Youtube channel called*ERROR*.
    May or may not be in *ERROR*.
    May or may not involve dri-*sound of water drowning my voice*
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    At a guess something to do with either Mechanon, Eurostar, or both?

I wish it were mechanon but I wont hold my breath. But I look forward to whatever they have planned.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    I wish it were mechanon but I wont hold my breath. But I look forward to whatever they have planned.

One can dream no? I have anxiously awaited some mechanon action for a while now, and had to settle for doing him in PnPRPG until he surfaces. :)

• Options
    agentgrantagentgrant Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Smacking Mechanon around would feel good. VEEEEERRRRRY good.

Also given that the concept for two of my main characters is that they work for UNTIL (one IS an Agent), I'd like to say thank you for addressing me, although technically she's a Lance Corporal... just.

Darn swashbucklers.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Interesting.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    =O

What could it be?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    =O

What could it be?

If people want a spoiler, check the thumbnail on the news page.

Brick_McDuggins in game.
  • Options
    d0m1nusdrak3d0m1nusdrak3 Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeep, both Caroligian and Clockwork have to do with Eurostar and Mechanon...BUT thats all we know, how are they to be introducced int the game :o
    ====================================
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ====================================
    Dominus Drake Primus Database ,Also @Pyromasher ingame
  • Options
    lonephantom777lonephantom777 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What's this? Some new content at long last? It's about time! :)

Also, Grav Bikes. :D Let's rev things up!
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    One can dream no? I have anxiously awaited some mechanon action for a while now, and had to settle for doing him in PnPRPG until he surfaces. :)

I gave up on Mechanon after my question in the last state of game. So this is the first time I can say I am actually hopeful he shows up.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ermahgerdness!!!!!! I Knew It! Wheres Mah Telepathy And Aoe Shielding!!?

Telepathy now
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    +++WELCOME, AGENT+++

+++ENCRYPTION PROTOCOL ALPHA INITIATED+++
    +++PRIORITY MESSAGE FORWARDED BY ANONYMOUS SOURCE+++
    +++WARNING: RECORDING HAS BEEN DISRUPTED+++

-- something's got them all stirred up down here. Whatever they're up to, it's --

-- I think they're tracking our comms. Tribunal Actual, be advised, safehouses may be compromised --

-- what? Give me resources from Carolingian or Clockwork! Don't tell me that there's not enough for --

-- start evacuating. I don't care, they can go to Columbus or Indianapolis. This isn't just going to go away, and unlike the Qularr, they're already here --

+++END OF TRANSMISSIONS+++
    +++PROTOCOL ALPHA TERMINATED+++

call_the_exorcist.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    zoenderszoenders Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Woohoo! I'm excited!
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hmm, time to strap on the scuba gear again, looks like. :cool:
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    alpha potocol? so its going to be an amazing game but all the critics will hate it? anyhow, this plus todays update and that unattributed youtube id seems to indicate the bleak ones.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, finally looks like something is coming. Now, I will say this:

The Mega-D event, I understand why it was tossed. I still would like to see you guys find a way to integrate Nighthawk's story mission and this into CO permanently. It's really hard for me to call this 'content' when it's only temporary. I would much rather see you guys work toward making a new Comic Series or Adventure Pack, because in the end- even the Nighthawk event was just a glorified alert.

As far as 'who' this is- my money says it's a Lemurian Invasion. Considering that something is 'stirring them up down here' and 'they're already here' tells me that, coupled with that whole 'secret project' video.
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    django.jpg
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Interesting. What are you up to?
    I still would like to see you guys find a way to integrate Nighthawk's story mission and this into CO permanently. It's really hard for me to call this 'content' when it's only temporary. I would much rather see you guys work toward making a new Comic Series or Adventure Pack, because in the end- even the Nighthawk event was just a glorified alert.

Yeah, kind of my feeling. Even turning the Nighthawk event missions and story arc into, say, a mini-adventure pack would be pretty spiffy. Strip out the Nighthawk Event reward and put in standard Adventure Pack rewards or whatever is appropriate.

I'm not fond of flash in the pan, one-shot events where it's obvious that the devs have put a lot of work into designing this thing... and we hardly get to see it. This is doubly true for those of us who have busy lives, and don't have the time to log in at Time X to see Cool Thing Y. Like I have a friend who works retail who barely got to see the Winter Event.

Now if this event's missions are similar to a comic series, where you release one mission at a time and when it's over it all gets bundled into a Comic Pack that we can run at our leisure and on our own schedule? I think that'd be a fantastic thing for all of us, and would rather please us noisy unwashed masses.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wait I a second:

Has any of this content been tested?

I mean I am probably the most supportive of Cryptic left on the forums, and yeesh, testing it might be a good idea...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ofcourse it's tested. Not that few 'Whoopsies' won't slip thru the comb.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I meant on PTS.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Ofcourse it's tested. Not that few 'Whoopsies' won't slip thru the comb.

That's true in anything. There's always something people miss, or for some reason the code decides to behave differently on Live than in Test, just because that's how life works. It's always fun in programming when you hear the programmers go "Never seen it do that before."
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's that thing they've been working on forever, right? The Kraken/Cthulhu Rampage featuring the winners from the design a villain contest, right? Sweet.
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, finally looks like something is coming. Now, I will say this:

The Mega-D event, I understand why it was tossed. I still would like to see you guys find a way to integrate Nighthawk's story mission and this into CO permanently. It's really hard for me to call this 'content' when it's only temporary. I would much rather see you guys work toward making a new Comic Series or Adventure Pack, because in the end- even the Nighthawk event was just a glorified alert.

As far as 'who' this is- my money says it's a Lemurian Invasion. Considering that something is 'stirring them up down here' and 'they're already here' tells me that, coupled with that whole 'secret project' video.

Whilst I am happy to see a flurry of activity, I really hope its not temporary content like Nighthawk was. Frankly I don't see the point of temporary missions, unless they are tied to specific events such as Xmas. Nighthawk should have been a permanent feature like the heli defense. I also hope it is not just another alert, as I personally think they are killing the game. I too am hoping it is another comic series or adventure pack.

My vote is for Mechanon or Eurostar as well, BUT, I hope they do them justice and another alert would be a waste IMHO.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The first part of the event coming next week must be an in zone random mob thing with minor rewards since its not on test. Nothing else had to be tested when it involved in zone stuff like that, except for the Hi Pan stuff because tradable items were involved.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My guess is that Cryptic is trying to get a minimum threshold of events so they can put them into a rotation.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It's that thing they've been working on forever, right? The Kraken/Cthulhu Rampage featuring the winners from the design a villain contest, right? Sweet.

What? You mean the FridgeMan and Fierycrotch?
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    stoopidme wrote: »
    If people want a spoiler, check the thumbnail on the news page.

I don't know. I can't tell if the thumbnail is Lemuria or the Moon. Woohoo, some news at last, thanks a bunch TT.
  • Options
    akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Watch it just turns out to be Defender getting a mustache or an additional hotdog stand in MC.
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My guess is that Cryptic is trying to get a minimum threshold of events so they can put them into a rotation.

See that would be kinda nice, I imagine the reason these events are temporary to begin with is that they need to free up the spawn points the random mooks are at in MC, it would be kinda cool if they would at least cycle them, Nighthawk one month, then maybe the Destroids or this new one the next and so on.
  • Options
    revjimrevjim Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mechanon content would be awesome. I have an Inferno AT created by Mechanon who'd just love to take on "Daddy".
  • Options
    magusjosephmagusjoseph Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We need Plant Control too sometime as well. I know that's been discussed before, but I figured I'd say it here too.

Pretty Please? :biggrin:
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    See that would be kinda nice, I imagine the reason these events are temporary to begin with is that they need to free up the spawn points the random mooks are at in MC, it would be kinda cool if they would at least cycle them, Nighthawk one month, then maybe the Destroids or this new one the next and so on.

There are plenty of places to add permenent content, and they could do adventure packs/comic series

They just dont get it that this game NEEDS MORE PERMENENT CONTENT it hasnt had any in a WHOLE YEAR and very little since launch, when it had very little to begin with
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Now that's an interesting possibility.

Okay - so a particular event isn't something you can do all the time. But if you have 3-4 of them and you do them in rotation - like, say - once a month for 2-3 weeks at a time?

Say - just as a hypothetical example -

Nighthawk event in the first 3 weeks of February, then a week off. Then "Protocol Alpha" in the first 3 weeks of March. take another week off. Then (insert new event here - Mechanon?) in the first 3 weeks of April. Take a week off, then in the first 3 weeks of May, go back to Nighthawk.

Wash, rinse, repeat, etc.

THAT would be an acceptable compromise between permanent content that's always there and temporary events. You could even have the special gear drops during the events and not even have to change that code to regular gear, because you maintain some of the uniqueness and rarity of it.

IF - and it's a BIG "IF" - this is where Cryptic is heading with these events, then I'd be happy with them. It'd be similar to the featured episodes in STO.

I'm not actually optimistic about this, mind you. I somehow think they're going to drop the ball or leave this aspect incomplete as they keep pulling Devs away from CO and the work gets abandoned (like what happened with Tumerboy and the Hideouts.).

But maybe. Just... maybe...
  • Options
    animaniac0451animaniac0451 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just a note that he's asking to draw resources from Carolingian and Clockwork meaning it doesn't involve those two departments, he needs more for his own.

So not Eurostar or Mechanon, sadly.

Likely Lemurians, maybe Roin'esh
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The thing is with rotating events vs permenent content is you get less content per development time, and we have precios little of that as it is!

Lets say they want to make 12 world events then cycle them one a month.

So at any one time 1/12th of it is available

Of they put that effort into permenent content, at anyone time its all available, or in otherwords 12 times as much.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why cant there be a contact that lets you trigger the events?

Or give players the ability to trigger the events after meeting certain criteria?

Then make it so only event can trigger at a time so that players don't stack them.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    +++WELCOME, AGENT+++

Confirmed: Cosmic Keys to be phased out. UNTIL Decryption Keys coming soon to the Z-Store.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    More "content" we can't play 11 months out of the year. Do Not Want.

Also if I can't run this because telepathy has not been released by the time it goes live I will be livid.

Telepathy Now
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wanna go ahead and toss out a long shot...

MALVANS!?!?!? :eek:
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    voyagersix wrote: »
    Confirmed: Cosmic Keys to be phased out. UNTIL Decryption Keys coming soon to the Z-Store.

That is something to be livid about.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That is something to be livid about.
    You, um, didn't take V'ger's post seriously, did you? Just checking...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    You, um, didn't take V'ger's post seriously, did you? Just checking...

This is the Internet. Everything is SRS BZNIS all the time. There are no jokes here. :mad:

(except for mine :p)