test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tanks with Dex?

keshmarchkeshmarch Posts: 59 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Power Discussion
Just wondering if it's worth it to use Dex instead of Str as a secondary super stat with Con as primary on a melee Behemoth-style freeform tank, so that the Deflection Specialization could add lots of dodge, and that critical hit chance would make up a teeny bit of the damage lost from Str.
Tark%20Signature_zpscmqoxjfn.png~original
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The critical returns would be a much bigger boost to damage than the melee boost of str could ever give even if you only have stock critical severity. But it is based on chance unlike str's melee damage boost so you may have to find a balance for it.

But you can also gear yourself for critical strike and use str primary instead of con and get a critical severity boost, melee power cost discount and a lot of defense from stacking con and the str melee damage boost.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    doesnt con help give dex a dodge bonus, dex with FotT very good
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    keshmarch wrote: »
    Just wondering if it's worth it to use Dex instead of Str as a secondary super stat with Con as primary on a melee Behemoth-style freeform tank, so that the Deflection Specialization could add lots of dodge, and that critical hit chance would make up a teeny bit of the damage lost from Str.

Yes, it is very worth it.

Artless, my most recent character, is CON/dex/rec.

In practice, he ends up doing around 25.15% more damage over the course of a fight with a DEX secondary than he was doing with a STR secondary.

I arranged my innate talent and talents such that he has STR 50 before gear is taken into account; not that he is equipped with +STR gear nor do I intend to acquire it when he hits level 40.

. . . . .

As for the CON specialization talent "Deflection", at level 34 and with 134 DEX, "Deflection" 3/3 gives an additional 40 Dodge Rating according to the tooltip. I claim no degree of responsibility for the the tooltip being accurate, but that is what it says. :biggrin:

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I prefer to go for Dexterity as primary superstat cause in the specialization tree you can greatly increase your critical chance and critical severity. Also, there are options to improve your dodge chance and avoidance from the specialization tree.
    Moreover, Conviction can critically self-heal.
  • Options
    theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    he wants to be a tank, id say stick with con tree, sidesack dex and crit gear
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I prefer to go for Dexterity as primary superstat cause in the specialization tree you can greatly increase your critical chance and critical severity. Also, there are options to improve your dodge chance and avoidance from the specialization tree.
    Moreover, Conviction can critically self-heal.

If you're going Dex to increase severity, you'll be putting 3 points into Deadly Aim, leaving just two to get you +dodge and +avoidance. Evasion and Quick Reflexes grant very small bonuses fully traited, so 1 point into each is not going to do all that much for one.

On topic, I'd go Dex secondary and arrange to have +STR from talents, going Con 5, Dex 5, Con 5 2nd SS 5, Dex 5 2nd SS 5, Con 5 Str 5, etc.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you go the DEX route you may want to look into Circle of Primal Dominion for the crazy amount of knock resist (and threat gain if in Protector role). It wouldn't be something to use every fight, but for some it could be handy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    keshmarch wrote: »

You can definitely make a CON/DEX tank and it's not really hard to add some STR from gears.
    My FF tank is CON/DEX-PRE and I do have 75 STR too.
  • Options
    keshmarchkeshmarch Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wow, thanks guys! I was worried that this wouldn't even be a viable build no matter what MMO I play.

My main will be dex/con/rec with str stats sprinkled in from now on!
    Tark%20Signature_zpscmqoxjfn.png~original
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    haleakala wrote: »
    If you're going Dex to increase severity, you'll be putting 3 points into Deadly Aim, leaving just two to get you +dodge and +avoidance. Evasion and Quick Reflexes grant very small bonuses fully traited, so 1 point into each is not going to do all that much for one.

On topic, I'd go Dex secondary and arrange to have +STR from talents, going Con 5, Dex 5, Con 5 2nd SS 5, Dex 5 2nd SS 5, Con 5 Str 5, etc.

No you don't need to put all 3 points in the Deadly Arm and just one point is enough. Cause one point will give you 8%~10% depending on your secondary superstat. Since he will be a tank, I bet he will put a lot in Con. Also, from the other 2 spec tree he can easily get 20% critical severity.
    At level 40, Conviction should be able to heal him for 800+ hp so with 100% critical severity will heal him with 1.6k to 17.k hp. If his build is nice, there should be enough to survive with any monster he wants.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    No you don't need to put all 3 points in the Deadly Arm and just one point is enough. Cause one point will give you 8%~10% depending on your secondary superstat. Since he will be a tank, I bet he will put a lot in Con. Also, from the other 2 spec tree he can easily get 20% critical severity.
    At level 40, Conviction should be able to heal him for 800+ hp so with 100% critical severity will heal him with 1.6k to 17.k hp. If his build is nice, there should be enough to survive with any monster he wants.

So, how did he get to 100% severity from 8-10 + 20? Looks more like 78-80%, going up by 10% if he took Dex Mastery @40. 3 Points into Deadly Aim grants 25%+ depending on stats. The small gains to dodge and avoidance seem like a waste of points in comparison.

Kind of a moot point anyway, as the OP stated his intention to PSS Con.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    edited December 2012
    So, how did he get to 100% severity from 8-10 + 20? Looks more like 78-80%, going up by 10% if he took Dex Mastery @40. 3 Points into Deadly Aim grants 25%+ depending on stats. The small gains to dodge and avoidance seem like a waste of points in comparison.

Kind of a moot point anyway, as the OP stated his intention to PSS Con.

I don't know which passive he is gonna to use. if he take LR then he doesnt really need to worry too much about the dodge and with masterful dodge at rank 3 everything will be safe. Critical severity start at 50%. The other 2 spec tree will give around 25% critical severity if I am not mistaken. So that will be 75%. At level 40 Dexterity it will give critical severity also. I have a blade using Dexterity as primary superstat and he is not adding any point to the deadly arm and he is already having 86.6% critical severity from just spec trees.
  • Options
    sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't know which passive he is gonna to use. if he take LR then he doesnt really need to worry too much about the dodge and with masterful dodge at rank 3 everything will be safe. Critical severity start at 50%. The other 2 spec tree will give around 25% critical severity if I am not mistaken. So that will be 75%. At level 40 Dexterity it will give critical severity also. I have a blade using Dexterity as primary superstat and he is not adding any point to the deadly arm and he is already having 86.6% critical severity from just spec trees.

Deadly Aim isn't crit severity rating, it's flat crit severity (like the crit severity specs Ruthless and Merciless, but unlike Dex Mastery).

I point this out because 3 ranks in Deadly Aim is pretty much always going to be more bang for your buck than putting those points into the dodge/avoid specs in the Dex tree. The returns from the dodge/avoid specs in the tree are too small to be worth losing two levels of Deadly Aim. For reference,

Additionally, for Freeforms, grabbing the severity in Dex tree means you aren't necessarily locked into taking a combination of Vindicator and one of Guardian/Avenger/Brawler/Warden to get good severity.

Vindicator's Merciless can give + 15% Severity, any of the others' Ruthless can give +10% Severity. While Deadly Aim, with 302 Dex (what I have on my Blade) gives 21% severity. At 247 Dex, it's 19% severity. So it ends up being stronger than Merciless (from Vindicator, gives 15% at R3) and Merciless is stronger than Ruthless (gives 10% at Rank 2).

Compare that to Quick Reflexes, which gives 30 Dodge Chance Rating at 302 Dex, and 25 Dodge Chance Rating at 247 Dex. With Rank 3 Way of the Warrior and blue avoid gear slotted with a Rank 5 Gambler's Gem (which gives 124 dodge rating), losing 55 Dex means losing 5 dodge rating. Which is a loss of 1% dodge chance (going from 51.1% dodge Chance to 49.5% dodge chance).

TL;DR version: Point-for-point, Deadly Aim is the best investment in Dex Tree's Tier 2 options. Get it to R3, then use the remainder on anything else. It's the best benefit Dex tree has, besides being tied to Dex, which is the overall best damage-buff stat.

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.
    Deadly Aim isn't crit severity rating, it's flat crit severity (like the crit severity specs Ruthless and Merciless, but unlike Dex Mastery).

I point this out because 3 ranks in Deadly Aim is pretty much always going to be more bang for your buck than putting those points into the dodge/avoid specs in the Dex tree. The returns from the dodge/avoid specs in the tree are too small to be worth losing two levels of Deadly Aim. For reference,

Additionally, for Freeforms, grabbing the severity in Dex tree means you aren't necessarily locked into taking a combination of Vindicator and one of Guardian/Avenger/Brawler/Warden to get good severity.

Vindicator's Merciless can give + 15% Severity, any of the others' Ruthless can give +10% Severity. While Deadly Aim, with 302 Dex (what I have on my Blade) gives 21% severity. At 247 Dex, it's 19% severity. So it ends up being stronger than Merciless (from Vindicator, gives 15% at R3) and Merciless is stronger than Ruthless (gives 10% at Rank 2).

Compare that to Quick Reflexes, which gives 30 Dodge Chance Rating at 302 Dex, and 25 Dodge Chance Rating at 247 Dex. With Rank 3 Way of the Warrior and blue avoid gear slotted with a Rank 5 Gambler's Gem (which gives 124 dodge rating), losing 55 Dex means losing 5 dodge rating. Which is a loss of 1% dodge chance (going from 51.1% dodge Chance to 49.5% dodge chance).

TL;DR version: Point-for-point, Deadly Aim is the best investment in Dex Tree's Tier 2 options. Get it to R3, then use the remainder on anything else. It's the best benefit Dex tree has, besides being tied to Dex, which is the overall best damage-buff stat.

Yeap. I know Deadly arm is flat critical severity % and it scales with Secondary Superstats. Cause the thread starter's aim was tanking, so I pointed out the dodge and avoidance in the spec tree. For a dpser, for sure he will go for 3/3 Deadly arm, but for tank, it is up to the player.
    Personally, I didn't mod dodge into my primary defense for my Blade AT because I find out that 45% and 60% dodge does not really make me survive longer but I even die faster. So, I go for full defense in my primary defense to get better result from The Best Defense in the spec tree of Warden.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Critical severity start at 50%. The other 2 spec tree will give around 25% critical severity if I am not mistaken. So that will be 75%. At level 40 Dexterity it will give critical severity also. I have a blade using Dexterity as primary superstat and he is not adding any point to the deadly arm and he is already having 86.6% critical severity from just spec trees.

Mhm. And my martial artist has ~116% crit severity with Deadly Aim, Vindicator and Warden trees. Investing in Vindicator/Warden trees might not be where to go with a tank, though. As Doc Sage says, if a DEX tank were to invest in Deadly Aim, he would not have to take Vindicator at all. Deadly Aim, plus Warden (because Best Defense is hard to turn away from) would give around 85% severity. This would free a tree for Protector, which has some nice options for tanks.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Mhm. And my martial artist has ~116% crit severity with Deadly Aim, Vindicator and Warden trees. Investing in Vindicator/Warden trees might not be where to go with a tank, though. As Doc Sage says, if a DEX tank were to invest in Deadly Aim, he would not have to take Vindicator at all. Deadly Aim, plus Warden (because Best Defense is hard to turn away from) would give around 85% severity. This would free a tree for Protector, which has some nice options for tanks.

Both my freeform tank don't have Protector in the specialization selection. I would prefer Warden and Vindicator cause it provides much more higher defense which grants more resistance. If you have high defense, that will save you when you fail to dodge cause avoidance does not work if you fail to dodge. Also, with Warden and Vindicator, you will have higher offense which grants more critical chance in the Dexterity Spec tree. As I mention earlier, the critical severity is for Conviction to criticallly heal. Dps does not matter much for a tank especially come to case of Gravitar unless you plan to skip her than that will be fine. I have posted info about my build in other threads which can survive Gravitar pretty well.