test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ground dash and air jump travel powers

bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Suggestions Box
I would like to see some travel powers introduced that have mechanics slightly different than existing TPs:

1. Ground dash - You make an extremely fast forward dash, which only lasts for a short period of time, then you return to normal run speed. The mechanic could work by holding down the travel power button, then pressing a direction key. Let's say the dash (at R3) was very close to the maximum speed permitted by the game engine, but it only lasted a second or two. It could also be possible that pressing the TP key and jump would do an upward dash.

2. Air jump - the core power would be about 1/2 the run speed and jump height of acro, but you could jump midair (without requiring a solid surface to jump off of) and gain more vertical height...
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    keshmarchkeshmarch Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Air Jump reminds me of a similar power on the Metroid game series.

I like the ideas.
    Tark%20Signature_zpscmqoxjfn.png~original
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I am curious to see what could result from these travel powers being added to the game.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm all for some Devil May Cry/Gunz:The Duel action.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Like 'em both.

In my humble opinion, though, #1 strikes me much more as a combat ability than a travel power. Then again, it's kind of like a non-stealth teleport in its mechanics. It would especially be cool if it could be used in midair as an air-dash.

I'd love 2. Could have a custom animation for wings and everything.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Any other thoughts on these 2 TPs?

Truly, I just want something that has a new/different mechanic, but which someone would still want to use. Admittedly, the air-jump one seems more plausible as a regular TP, and the dash one does seem a bit more combat-oriented, (like a responder pointed out).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Any other thoughts on these 2 TPs?

Truly, I just want something that has a new/different mechanic, but which someone would still want to use. Admittedly, the air-jump one seems more plausible as a regular TP, and the dash one does seem a bit more combat-oriented, (like a responder pointed out).

Your Dash one seems like it would function off the existing teleport mechanic of activate TP move at increased rate for short time, power ends, short cooldown.... Personally I would prefer to hit the key and move rather than hold the key while moving...

As for the Air Jump... maybe instead of making both run speed and jump height half of acro... make run speed bonus half of acro and jump height bonus equal to or greater than acro. If you sacrifice both then the travel power becomes more of a gimmick than a viable travel power. Ninja Vanish should be proof enough for that...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    raighn wrote: »
    Your Dash one seems like it would function off the existing teleport mechanic of activate TP move at increased rate for short time, power ends, short cooldown.... Personally I would prefer to hit the key and move rather than hold the key while moving...

As for the Air Jump... maybe instead of making both run speed and jump height half of acro... make run speed bonus half of acro and jump height bonus equal to or greater than acro. If you sacrifice both then the travel power becomes more of a gimmick than a viable travel power. Ninja Vanish should be proof enough for that...

Hmm.. you bring up some good points. I envisioned the dash as *not* phasing you out, though - I'd like to be able to use it as a sort of secondary lunge or escape power all in one, but still permitting you to use your full suite of powers.

As for the air jump, well perhaps it could act much like how grappling does while on the ground, (though it would be interesting to see how such a mechanic would behave if the run speed had more emphasis, like you mentioned).
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This sounds like a targetless lunge, basically.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.