test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How vehicles should be, but won't be, launched (In my opinion.)

keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Every subscriber should get to choose a free top-notch vehicle from the first wave. (after all, you didn't release grav bikes, so those can sell for pretty pennies!)

Garage in Westside opens up as a vehicle customization station, allowing you to customize your vehicle similar to hero customization, with colors, chassis choices, how guns look, etc. etc. The garage should also have missions relating to vehicles. Vehicle customizations cost resources.

Vehicles are outright available on the C-Store in their varying tiers. 500 zen for the low tiers, 750 for the mid, 1000 for the high-end ones. All vehicles can be taken to the garage for paintjobs.

UNTIL Sky Carrier appears as its own zone with areas that can also be used to RP, with the Mega D event being an open mission. UNTIL Sky Carrier can also be used to access appropriate adventure packs.

Vehicle missions appear all over the world, with vehicle mods and customization unlocks available as rewards.

Two new PvP types are added: Racing and Dogfighting. Racing plays like a party racer, and attacking other players with weapons you pick up stuns them. Dogfighting is just vehicle PvP, free for all in the skies. More vehicle PvP variations to be added later.

Special customization unlocks are available in the Drifter store and in grab bags/lockboxes.

... but none of that is gonna happen. We're just gonna get the UNTIL Carrier Defense alert (which will be over in ten to fifteen minutes) and vehicles we can't even color. :(
Post edited by keikomyst on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sell default VEHICLE models.
    Put Colorable Pattern Model Packs, Emblem Packs and Thingamajig Vehicle AddOn Part Packs to Z-Store. Make people pay for them.
    People want to customize their rides, not ride around with dozen same looking vehicles, in a game that has 1 point over others, CHARACTER CUSTOMISING.
    Cryptic/PW missed the grand point of this game by a gazillion miles.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    handsomerhandsomer Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm also pretty unhappy in the way that they are implementing vehicles.

I personally think going to the garage to customize your ride is a great idea... as well as having "vehicle costume sets" and what not, but like others have said, it's not gonna happen.

The thing is though... if I can't even color it to fit my hero, I'm not going to buy one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    handsomer wrote: »
    I'm also pretty unhappy in the way that they are implementing vehicles.

I personally think going to the garage to customize your ride is a great idea... as well as having "vehicle costume sets" and what not, but like others have said, it's not gonna happen.

The thing is though... if I can't even color it to fit my hero, I'm not going to buy one.
    Then by all means, don't buy one. Perhaps somebody will get the message, and let us customize our rides with more than just different weapon loadouts.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Customization is one of the best features this MMO has that sets it apart from the others. They should give us customization choices for vehicles. Just like character costumes, we should be able to choose from a minimal number of different models for vehicle parts for example along with colors.
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Every subscriber should get to choose a free top-notch vehicle from the first wave. (after all, you didn't release grav bikes, so those can sell for pretty pennies!)

Garage in Westside opens up as a vehicle customization station, allowing you to customize your vehicle similar to hero customization, with colors, chassis choices, how guns look, etc. etc. The garage should also have missions relating to vehicles. Vehicle customizations cost resources.

Vehicles are outright available on the C-Store in their varying tiers. 500 zen for the low tiers, 750 for the mid, 1000 for the high-end ones. All vehicles can be taken to the garage for paintjobs.

UNTIL Sky Carrier appears as its own zone with areas that can also be used to RP, with the Mega D event being an open mission. UNTIL Sky Carrier can also be used to access appropriate adventure packs.

Vehicle missions appear all over the world, with vehicle mods and customization unlocks available as rewards.

Two new PvP types are added: Racing and Dogfighting. Racing plays like a party racer, and attacking other players with weapons you pick up stuns them. Dogfighting is just vehicle PvP, free for all in the skies. More vehicle PvP variations to be added later.

Special customization unlocks are available in the Drifter store and in grab bags/lockboxes.

... but none of that is gonna happen. We're just gonna get the UNTIL Carrier Defense alert (which will be over in ten to fifteen minutes) and vehicles we can't even color. :(

while I am not trying to defend the current model. However, since the hawkwings were at 1500zen at the zstore, it would not be consistent to have the top tier vehicles at 1000 zen.

Cosmic keys is a clever still stealthed way to increase prices of stuff at the zstore.

I think this is the second pass on vehicles so I would expect some of those feature currently missing to be implemented in the next pass.
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Funny thing, this is a superhero game. The way these vehicles are being implemented this game is becoming Tank Police online, instead of CO. The vehicles should be travel powers.

For you wipper snappers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGTZLuuTPi8
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »

It would be nice if subscribers actually had their subscription count for more. Even simple things like:
    • Having the VIP Lounge Card have a 2 minute cooldown, instead of bloody 2 hours!
    • Increasing the values of the healing elixirs sold from the bartender vendor inside the VIP Lounge
    • Small innate bonus (like 10%) to fusion success chance %
    • Ability to access the Auction House from your hideout (in the extension rooms that were never developed once On Alert started being produced)
    • Other ideas?

keikomyst wrote:
    Two new PvP types are added: Racing and Dogfighting. Racing plays like a party racer, and attacking other players with weapons you pick up stuns them. Dogfighting is just vehicle PvP, free for all in the skies. More vehicle PvP variations to be added later

I was already planning racing stuff, and I've done it before in another MMO. It's a lot of fun. :smile:

jennymachx wrote: »
    Customization is one of the best features this MMO has that sets it apart from the others.

Yes, it's the appeal of this game to the niche market it fits in. I agree with you. I mean even Call of Duty and Halo 4 have customization, but nowhere near the level it is for Champions Online!

jennymachx wrote:
    They should give us customization choices for vehicles. Just like character costumes, we should be able to choose from a minimal number of different models for vehicle parts for example along with colors.

/facepalm

No, this is going about it wrong... I disagree. I think this might explain it simply enough for you to comprehend:
    yogid0nnie wrote: »
    Funny thing, this is a superhero game. The way these vehicles are being implemented this game is becoming Tank Police online, instead of CO. The vehicles should be travel powers.

I agree. In fact having the current jets being so FAST is what I love most about them. Fun to fly.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    /facepalm

No, this is going about it wrong... I disagree. I think this might explain it simply enough for you to comprehend:

I don't quite understand where the disagreement is coming from. If your disagreement is based on the opinion that vehicles should be travel powers, even so travel powers are customizable to some degree. I don't see a problem in taking it a step further by allowing vehicles to have different customizable parts.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You know, the Sidekick Systemthingie that is probably coming is starting to sound horrible. Premade Noncustomisable Sidekicks with Lockboxes and other scary stuff.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    jennymachx wrote: »
    I don't quite understand where the disagreement is coming from. If your disagreement is based on the opinion that vehicles should be travel powers, even so travel powers are customizable to some degree. I don't see a problem in taking it a step further by allowing vehicles to have different customizable parts.

That's not what I disagree with, and I thought what Yogid0nnie said would make it clear where my disagreement is. I guess not. I don't know how I can put this any simpler, don't replace the superheros.

Champions Online, not Vehicles Online. There are better games out there for vehicles, if that's what you're really into playing. Heck racing games with vehicles is it's own genre even, not that you can't have fun with that in another game (example). Most importantly, I would argue that the niche market for this game, which is small compared to most MMO's let's be honest, is around the whole superheroes schtick.

You can disagree with my opinion if you want, but vehicles are taking a step away from being superheroes. Superman doesn't need a plane or a tank, he's better than one. Other heroes might do better in a tank or a plane though. The point is it should be on equal footing. The direction this is heading, and what worries me from having seen it in other games and ruin said games, is having it to where all you need to win is a vehicle. I know they are restricted for now. I know they aren't overpowered in damage now. But it could VERY easily head that way in the name of "revenue profit", as the whole grab bags thing showed us. Just telling people, if you don't like it don't buy it isn't going to do anything, because people with the means will always want the newest shiny thing. Pandora's Box has been opened.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, vehicles have no place in superheroics!

I mean, it's not like Batman has an entire stable of the dern things - oh, wait...

Well, it's not like the Fantastic Four have some kind of weird ship that comes apart into four separate attack craft -- um...

I mean, it's not like the X-Men have to fly around in some kind of modified SR-71 Blackbi--- wait a minute...

It's not like Ghost Rider, an embodied demon, has to rely on a motorcycle to get around -- hang on, this isn't working out...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jonsills wrote: »

I mean, it's not like Batman has an entire stable of the dern things - oh, wait...

Well, it's not like the Fantastic Four have some kind of weird ship that comes apart into four separate attack craft -- um...

I mean, it's not like the X-Men have to fly around in some kind of modified SR-71 Blackbi--- wait a minute...

It's not like Ghost Rider, an embodied demon, has to rely on a motorcycle to get around -- hang on, this isn't working out...

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This thread is about HOW vehicles are being implemented (and what people would like to see from them), not that they are inappropriate.

This is a core quote from one of the most critical posters in the thread:
    agentnx5 wrote:
    Other heroes might do better in a tank or a plane though. The point is it should be on equal footing.

Not really a, "vehicles have no place in superheroics," sentiment there.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I agree here, I really think they could have done WAY better here, for one, if they tried to copy this from STO, STO had low tier free ships, this could work in CO by buying them with globals in game, and having the higher tier cost zen, but don't price the things close to 2000 zen, even if that is what STO did with them, this is CO, where you can run at superspeed, fly around everywhere, but you're not restricted to the vehicle, which means its not necessary to have at all, which means the price isn't worth it for such a become device. Another issue I see here is the lack of customization, when I first heard of vehicles I thought they would be customizable in terms of paint, chassis, and appearance, not just mods, but the main issue I see here is how they are totally overpriced for something that isn't even worth it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Ok Cpt. Smartass, let me turn this around on you.

Batman always fights enemies from his vehicle-- oh, wait... Forgot about his boomerangs, martial arts, his belt gadgets, etc. etc.

When the Fantastic Four takes on Dr. Doom it's from their ship, never use their superpower-- um, damn I forgot when Dr. Doom totally wreck their ship in an air battle in the Silver Surfer and it's by transferring all their powers to The Thing so he can beat Doom and save the day...

I mean, it's not like the X-Men have to ever leave their modified SR-71 even if it's crashing to the ground-- wait a minute, forgot about part in X2...

It's not like Ghost Rider/ Night Rider / Phantom Rider ever needs to get of his motocycle and use his superhuman strength or ability to project regular and ethereal flame-- hang on, this isn't working out...

Like I said, equal footing. Vehicles, weapons, armor, other devices, etc. they are there to assist the hero, not BE the hero. Not replace them.

If you want to spend your time in the game just in your upgraded jet or tank or whatever, that's ok I guess (who am I to tell you how you have to play right?); but you shouldn't be able to do things no superhero can do. Same thing where if you want to use Gigabolt or Ricochet Throw and all things being equal Ricochet Throw makes Gigabolt look like a tier 1 power in comparison for damage potential (not to mention one self-roots, one doesn't), that's kind of imbalanced no? Let's not forget these new "powers" for the vehicles cannot be gotten in the powerhouse. They are not available to gold or lifetime members, without additional purchase.

lotar295 wrote: »
    the main issue I see here is how they are totally overpriced for something that isn't even worth it.

That isn't really the issue at all to me. It's more of a "where is this heading" sort of thing, and I believe I already explained what concerns me more than once.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ash, I was replying to AgentNX5, just above me. It could fit in quite a few other threads, because so many have people claiming that vehicles just have nothing to do with superheroes, but it was in reply to a statement made here.

Apologies for contributing to the thread drift, though. I would have completely approved the proposed introduction method here, although I don't think the part about one free vehicle for each subscriber would be economically feasible.

• Options
    captgrizzcaptgrizz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    my question is, will there be any love for the people who bought prototype hawkwings? or are they just going to continue to be glorified become devices?

Once I was Grizzlan, but I got promoted :tongue:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ash, I was replying to AgentNX5, just above me. It could fit in quite a few other threads, because so many have people claiming that vehicles just have nothing to do with superheroes, but it was in reply to a statement made here.

Apologies for contributing to the thread drift, though. I would have completely approved the proposed introduction method here, although I don't think the part about one free vehicle for each subscriber would be economically feasible.

And nowhere did I make that claim. :mad: Did I ever say that? No. I didn't.
    You're going to sit there and twist my words around into a lie? Really? WTF man?

I'm pissed at you. Your apology should be made to more than just the OP.

Maybe try understanding WHY you are feeling that is what people are saying, and actually READ what they are writing, Jonsills.