test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best form for Regeneration

ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Power Discussion
I'm trying to build a character with decent survivorability and damage output using the Regen passive...

(And before anyone says, "Well don't use regen, get Invul or Defiance instead or some dodge/avoidance passive...blah, blah, blah)

I don't want those as It doesn't go well with my character. I don't PVP at all and I've been doing pretty well with my build but I still don't feel as strong as I should. Maybe it's because I'm still only lv23 but the thing that's bothering me the most is my damage output.

But here's my current build so far:
PSS:DEX
SSS:EGO/INT

Energy Builder: Ego Blade
Accerated Metabolism, rank 2

lv6: Ego Weaponry
rank 2, siphoning strikes

lv8: Ego Blade Dash

lv11: Regenerate
rank 2, rank 3

lv14:
Condemn
Redeption Denied

Lv17: Form of the Tempest

lv20: Force Shield
Force sheathe

lv23: Still confused as of what to get at this level. An energy lock maybe? (Ego Reverb) A heal? (Conviction, Resergence or BCR+Reiki) or an active Defense (Unbreakable)

Spec Tree:
Dex: Combat Training, Gear Utillization, Evasion, Expose Weakness, Quick Reflexes
Vindicator: Initiative, Agressive Stance
Post edited by ruuki on

Comments

• Options
    ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So as you can see, I'm going for somewhat of a regen/crit dps/dodge tank. Siphoning strikes enables me to attack while gaining HP along with regen's HP return. Condemn is really helpful because of it's stun advantage and DoT. Force Sheathe along with FotT and Ego Blade's Accelerated Metabolism gives a nice energy return not to mention initiative from the vindication tree adds a debuff.

It's coming along quite well but even with my crits, my damage output just isn't enough. At a full charge, 8 stacks of focus and the debuff from initiative, my Condemn (at rank 1) still only does about 1100+. The most I've done with Ego Weaponry is about 500+.

So my question really is FotT the best way to go in this case? Should I re-choose my secondary SS? I'm happy with my dodge rating as I know it probably won't go above 40% with my current gear. Same with my avoidance (its at 29.4%) And what should I get at lv23 that will be benifical? I had a heal but I didn't find myself using it often. Should I just get Ego Breach instead?
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    unless you want to supercharge your regen with compassion
    your form should match your attacks.

however i made a regen/compassion/iniquity tank/healer thats nigh-impossible to kill and keeps the team at full health while holding the agro

• Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ruuki wrote: »
    I'm trying to build a character with decent survivability and damage output using the Regen passive...)

I don't PVP at all and I've been doing pretty well with my build but I still don't feel as strong as I should. Maybe it's because I'm still only lv23 but the thing that's bothering me the most is my damage output.

Damage boosts come from:

1) role (with a defensive you can choose between Hybrid for more damage, or Tank for more survivability; neither role provides optimal damage, but that is the price one pays for running a defensive passive)
    2) offensive passives (you aren't using one)
    3) toggles (as a melee/ranged hybrid, whichever toggle you choose will benefit one of your two attack powers less than the other one -- unless you chose Compassion and got the lesser benefit for both melee and ranged)
    4) power ranks (you spent 6 rank/advantage points on rank, putting 4 of them towards healing and CC rather than more damage)
    5) Choosing attacks that do more damage (neither Ego Weaponry nor Condemn are heavy hitters)

I understand the desire to build for character concept. However, build choices have consequences, and your choices have almost all been about taking things other than more damage. There is nothing wrong with this, but you should understand why your character is not doing as much damage as he could if you modified some of your choices.

What would I do in your shoes? I would choose a tighter concept, focusing more on just ego blade melee (keep FotT as my toggle, get Ego Blade Frenzy R3 instead of Condemn, then add Ego Blade Annihilation (or Breach) and use Frenzy on groups and Annihilation to take advantage of Ego Leech on harder targets, reserving Weaponry w/ Siphoning for when I might need more heals. Frenzy would provide the added benefit of providing more chances to crit and build FotT stacks for more damage. In specs, I'd go Deadly Aim/Expose Weakness over Evasion and Quick Reflexes. Deadly Aim can provide upwards of 25% crit severity, and crits is where your primary damage increase is coming from since you don't have much else. Quick reflexes and Evasion provide nowhere near the benefit to dodge/avoidance. If you have an avoidance defensive primary with a gambler's gem for dodge (and you should), the spec choices will add dodge/avoidance boosts in the single digits.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    you need to understand what the forms scale on. so instead of matching it to your attacks match it to your stats:

INT/EGO=concentration
    STR=Enrage
    DEX=MA forms
    PRE=compassion,manipulator

dmg forms would be MA forms, enrage and concentration.

considering your PSS is DEX, i'd take form of the tempest.

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In your spec choices for DEX, you didn't pick Deadly Aim...this should ALWAYS be 3/3...otherwise, you shouldn't even use DEX as primary superstat.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • Options
    gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's not just about what stats match what forms. Keep in mind that each form has a condition required to proc it. Concentration will require you to be using ranged attacks on a regular basis, even if you're trying to melee. Compassion requires you to be healing, and while Regeneration does stack Compassion, you must A) Be taking damage for regen to heal (if you're not the tank, this may be an issue) and B) Compassion does not increase the potency of Regeneration. Enrage requires the regular use of knockbacks, either ranged or melee, to trigger.

Form of the Tempest is the best match for you right now, as it procs off both ranged and melee crits. It also scales off your primary super stat.

Telekinesis has its own unique Form power, Mental Discipline, but it works best if you're a purely Ego based build. It also returns no energy.
  • Options
    titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The best way to increase you damage would be to drop Ego Weaponry for Devour Essence and Condemn for another AoE that is melee so it can get the full effect of FotT. Devour Essence will do more damage but heal you for less, you can combo it and the new melee AoE with Parry's Elusive Monk adv. for extra dodge. If theme is what had you choose the Ego powers then forget everything I said hehe. This build works fine as a lv23 toon with some of that Nemesis gear.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Regen DPS/DodgrTank

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Savage
    Level 6: Agile
    Level 9: Enduring
    Level 12: Tireless
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Bestial Fury
    Level 1: Supernatural Power Best Energy Unlock for Supernatural attacks, it will make you able to perma spam them
    Level 6: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge) More damage than ego wep with the syphon adv
    Level 11: Frenzy (Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism, Challenging Strikes) Melee AoE made awesome by supernatural energy unlock
    Level 14: Form of the Tempest
    Level 17: Parry (The Elusive Monk) This adv scales with dex so its a great synergy with FotT
    Level 20: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind) This adv scales with CON,so with high CON you can have 100% crit chance
    Level 23: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Rank 3) It debuffs the target's resistance to elemental damage which Devour Essence is
    Level 26: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki) Synergy with dodge
    Level 29: Evasive Maneuvers (Rank 2, Rank 3) More Dodge
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge More dodge
    Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3) For Boss tanking

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (1/3)
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

At Lv40 with 152DEX for Parry's Elusive adv + Evasive + Dodge Gear my test toon had 69.8% dodge chance and 65.8% avoidance at all times in battle(while attacking melee).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    unless you want to supercharge your regen with compassion
    your form should match your attacks.

Far as I remember, Compassion doesn't affect Regen.
  • Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hubrix wrote: »
    Far as I remember, Compassion doesn't affect Regen.

Compassion:
    Scales off Pre/Recovery, whichever is higher
    Increases Necrullitic Elixir
    Increases Resurgence(Which it SHOULDN'T but does...which is just plain bleh..)
    Increases Palliate(Palliate can also produce a critical return...which it SHOULDN'T but does...which is just plain bleh..)
    Procs stacks from Regeneration BUT does not increase the heal of regeneration.