test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gas Pellets are a gas, man!

r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
So I got tired of being the best at whatever (damage, tanking, etc) and thought I'd role a night warrior vanguard-like build - where neither ranged nor melee is that good, and survivability is questionable.

I started at level 6 (skipping tutorial) and started picking my powers. I knew I wanted Ricochet Throw only for a ranged attack, the rest would be "batperson" with fists (no guns, knives, etc).

Anyway, I started leveling up, picking the following:
Powers:
Level 1: Righteous Fists (Drunken Master)
Level 1: Crashing Wave Kick (Subtlety of the Tides)
Level 6: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Form of the Tempest
Level 14: Dragon Uppercut (Chi Flame, Rank 2) (there is a bug in the powerhouse planner that does not let you take DU here, but you can)
Level 17: Gas Pellets (Oversized Pellet Bag - aka Huge Ballsack)

Now, while the power, GAS PELLETS, does not seem so uber, I have to say it quite is. I mean, cheating broken uber! Obviously, it's quicker to just toss the Ricochet Throw and move on, or even assassin strike the boss and move on... however, just toss the pellets (needing end/rec high enough to do it while running acro + form is an issue) and back up... bam: this one power will take out the minions and highly damage bosses. Just one. do it again and again, if you have the patience.

Now, I'm normally the guy with a tricked out plasma beam insta-kill type toon, so patience isn't my strong suit. That said, knowing I am not just going for the "run and in and press and hold the 3-key until all are dead" build, but rather the have fun and not-quite-RP build.

Gas Pellets feels right. Takes some getting used to; still not sure if they are buffed by melee or range enhancements; it's also a nice constant damage source during Alerts, it does add up. I've never ranked them to R2 or R3, but I always get the huge sack advantage (insert joke about wearing tights with an oversized bag), as I'm often tossing them out while not hidden.

That's the topic of another thread - the only use for hide is ricochet throw and the occasional Assassin Strike (meh).

Anyway, be sure to try out the gas pellets - learn the pattern (ignore where the animation of the balls roll/go, it doesn't matter) and you'll find yourself liking or loving this power. Especially for "utility belt" toons.

-r0y
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by r0y0 on

Comments

• cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd agree, if you have a character who uses any sort of gadgets or gimicks, then gas pellets are a great choice. They're quick, easy to use and add a nice bit of DoT.

I just wish Gas Arrow in the archery set worked even half as well.
  • ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Great for any melee character from a min/max perspective as well outside of PVP.

I just wish I could figure out the aiming of the dang things. It seems to land behind most mobs when thrown at point blank range and requires some wrangling.

I wish they were ground target like Strafing Run.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6