test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kickstarter to get The Foundry on CO

foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Suggestions Box
From what I've gathered, the main reason why we're not getting The Foundry is because "it's too expensive to implement."

What if we gave Cryptic the money?

I'm sure if Cryptic gave donors incentives ranging from "your money's worth in Story Slots" (?, I'm not sure how the Foundry works regarding storage) to "Lifetime Subscription" and perhaps more things, there would be many of us willing to fund the project.

The technology is already there, and from what I've heard, the three games already share the same codebase, so what else is required other than the money to assign people to actually do it? Also, this would be far from the first similar KS. People organized a KS to give EA money to change ME 3's ending before EA decided to do it themselves, and White Wolf has organized in the past a KS to fund one of their books.

So, exactly how much is "too expensive"? Think of the long-term benefits, think of all the ex-CoH users who are already used to having a mission editor... and think it won't even cost you money.

How much?
Post edited by foxyperson on

Comments

• Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If done, they better agree to put the proceeds toward getting the Foundry in CO ASAP. >_>

Also, there better be some awesome incentives. :P
  • Options
    jackniefpwjackniefpw Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please don't let this be a pipe dream anymore. . I want this as much as any other player.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    foxyperson wrote: »
    From what I've gathered, the main reason why we're not getting The Foundry is because "it's too expensive to implement."

We cannot give Cryptic money, as they are not the ones handling the finances of the company. That would be PWE.
    And if we give PWE our money, you can bet they will use it for something else. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    We cannot give Cryptic money, as they are not the ones handling the finances of the company. That would be PWE.

That's why it has to be them starting the KS, not us. Also, the KS for White Wolf's V20 Companion was started by White Wolf, not CCP (even if it's CCP who decides what WW can and cannot do). :)
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And if we give PWE our money, you can bet they will use it for something else. :rolleyes:

If they get the money and use it for something else, then they would be guilty of fraud, which would cost them more money than they got.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What if we all pledged to purchase something silly-nobody-ever-buys-it-it's-rubbish from the C-store, every day, for a period of time, until they give us the Foundry?
    ...Wait, that's not reinforcement at all. That actually encourages them not to give us the Foundry since we give them money.

Okay. How about this. We DON'T purchase anything until some kind of Foundry exists, and then...
    No. That's bad. Then they go bankrupt and it's game over, man. GAME OVER!
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I do not know if I speak for anyone else when I say that I am willing to buy foundry kit unlocks.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Still waiting for Neverwinter to come out to see how they redistribute Cryptic resources.
  • Options
    sturmwolf65sturmwolf65 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    [QUOTE=foxyperson;2584681
    [/QUOTE]

First off:
    What a terribly s****d idea!

Did you even realize that we ALREADY DO THAT?!

We are paying costumers.
    I'm a Gold player, so no one can force that "it's free 2 play argument" on me.
    And F2p is getting the company a lotta money.
    If it wouldn't, they wouldn't make games F2p.
    (The games that refuse to go F2p are the ones that are dying losing ground on the market atm)

We are the costumers, we consume what they develop and give feedback, criticism and wishes.
    If they don't listen to that, we stop consuming their stuff and they lose money.
    That's the way it works.

And not every CO gamer is desperately waiting for a Foundry, at least not me!
    I've seen it in CoH and most of the created content was crap.
    And the same is true for STO.
    You have to go through tons of crap homebrewed nonesense to get a shinning pearl of an adventure every now and than.
    IMO this isn't worth much.

I'm a longtime RPG Gamemaster myself and of course I created content myself in CoH -and I think I did pretty good at it- but honestly, I don't think it get much attention, cause it got lost among a lot of trash.
    And some foundrysystems even want me to PAY for it(?!)
    I should PAY for creating exra content for the game I'm playing (and paying already)?
    No way.
  • Options
    dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i'm not sure if this isea is a good one, yes i would LOVE the foundry in this game considering how BADLY we need it here.

but if and when it happened i can't say, but the way this game is getting closer and closer to the bottom of the bowl, i really think they should just pull the plug and let this game die, since they seem to have no intention of making it better
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I do not know if I speak for anyone else when I say that I am willing to buy foundry kit unlocks.

Likewise.
    /10chars
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    We don't need it, but we certainly want the hell out of it.

Be the Hero YOU want to be! Tell the story of the Hero that YOU want to tell!

Might make a huge post of what I would like the Foundry to have.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    First off:
    What a terribly s****d idea!

[snips]

No way.

Your whole post reads like you'd be forced to pay for this content. It's a bad idea because you already pay for the game? What if you didn't participate in the Kickstarter, but despite your lack of funding, we still got the Foundry? Still a bad idea?

Personally, I'd drop few couple hundreds on this Kickstarter.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If we get Foundry, I bet it's going to be accessable for gold players only.
    I'll let you do the rest of the math.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If we get Foundry, I bet it's going to be accessable for gold players only.
    I'll let you do the rest of the math.

In STO, Silver players can by Foundry slots a la carte. I'd expect the same model here.
    =====
  • Options
    man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I have to say I prefer this idea and would spend money on this more than on anything else like vehicles and lock boxes.
    edited October 2012
    I'd invest in a kickstarter:
    for the foundry,
    for the moon zone,
    for any other new zone,
    for an expansion of the nemesis system,
    for a nemesis themed adventure that allowd us to flesh out our heroes, make chocies that determine the missions, has custom loved-one npcs we get to design in the character creator and makes our battle with the nemesis the focus of the story (and for teams splits this content between players in the team with focus on the team leader and their nemesis)
    for a deal with a 3d printing company so we could have action figures/statues/heroclix-or-equivalent of our own heroes
    For any other things that increase immersive gameplay rather than repetition (like random-variable missions)
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Personally, I'd drop few couple hundreds on this Kickstarter.

With the right incentives, I'd drop a coupe hundreds too!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They don't need a kickstarter, they need a wakeup kick to crotch.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm hoping that the Foundry in Neverwinter proves successful enough to be ported to CO.
  • Options
    kadarkkadark Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I honestly don't mind the idea, would be GREAT to tell the story of my heroes through such a medium...

But you know there will ALWAYS be that one idiot who makes a Foundry so strong he can just sit back and go "trololololol" all day, or make it so easy that only them and their friends will level like no tomorrow, then Cryptic will have to take it out and make us all angry, which would suck :(

I seen it on CoH, was HORRID.

"Of course, don't you know anything about SCIENCE!?" - Linkara
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kadark wrote: »
    I honestly don't mind the idea, would be GREAT to tell the story of my heroes through such a medium...

But you know there will ALWAYS be that one idiot who makes a Foundry so strong he can just sit back and go "trololololol" all day, or make it so easy that only them and their friends will level like no tomorrow, then Cryptic will have to take it out and make us all angry, which would suck :(

It was. But looking at what's been done for NWO, it shouldn't be possible to duplicate it to that extent, if we ever get it.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012

They didn't have to remove it from STO, they won't remove it from NWO, and if they implement it here, it will work as well.

And they didn't remove it from CoH either. :)

There will always be people who will try to ruin everything for everyone else, but that can't keep you from moving forward or we'd never do anything.

We already have people willing to get in the KS, should Cryptic decide to start it... once we get to the point that we offer to pay for it ourselves, I don't see many reasons why not do it. :)
    It was. But looking at what's been done for NWO, it shouldn't be possible to duplicate it to that extent, if we ever get it.

AE was a thing of wonder... but then that was one of the reasons why the game reached such a stage of complexity that the devs used to say that tinkering with CoH's code was like playing Jenga on fire.

I don't expect anything too grand. Just let me script the mission dialogues, let me select mission maps and villain factions, and let me include any of my nemesii in it (they don't have to give Q on defeat either), and that will keep me hooked forever. :)
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you are going to do a kickstarter it should be for an open source web based super hero
    game that allows for user submitted content in common 3D formats
    using thousands of cheap and readily available motion capture animation files built on a free
    3D game engine like Unity or Torque.

You put fish net stockings and skull bras on the dudes from Tribes and you
    basically have Champions power armor PVP in the valley of the dolls.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you are going to do a kickstarter it should be for an open source web based super hero
    game that allows for user submitted content in common 3D formats
    using thousands of cheap and readily available motion capture animation files built on a free
    3D game engine like Unity or Torque.

You put fish net stockings and skull bras on the dudes from Tribes and you
    basically have Champions power armor PVP in the valley of the dolls.

Or just add super powers to ABP: Reloaded :B!

Woop woop woop (\/)_=^ o w o ^=_(\/) Crabby Kitty!!.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Wired News' Andrew Groen explains why just a little effort in allowing for user-created content pays more than attempts at churning out new monthly content:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/future-of-mmo-games/

This stance is reasonable. With today's production costs, churning out new monthly content to keep users engaged costs more than they get from users, be it $15 a month or with micro-transactions. But then games with relatively minimal content like EVE or Minecraft are still doing fine. The difference is the options they have to allow players to build and interact with each other.

So... please? :)
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you start a kickstarter for the foundry in CO, you'll just succeed in getting NWO more funding :(

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    we kickstart it every day when we buy things, its not a charity its a business
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    If you start a kickstarter for the foundry in CO, you'll just succeed in getting NWO more funding :(

If the money is diverted to NWO, then how will they fulfill the promised rewards for the Kickstarter? If I back it for $10 and expect to get four Foundry slots when it launches, there had darn well better be four Foundry slots within a reasonable time after the fulfillment. To take money and not deliver product is very bad business.

(Take a look at the Kickstarter for my next novels to see what Kickstarter rewards look like.)
    =====
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Still waiting for Neverwinter to come out to see how they redistribute Cryptic resources.

They will instantly forget the released Neverwinter and move on to the next game.

P.S.

As much as i want it, the Foundry will never come here, because it is something we want. I dont buy for a second that it is too exspensive to put in, it is in STO and NW, which use the same system as CO, they are too lazy and dont care about CO to do it.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Devs may not read the Suggestion Box but, has anyone considered contacting Cryptic's marketing and PR directly at their website? (Cryptic's, not CO's).

I think I'll do just that.
  • Options
    clogan2clogan2 Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Necroing this.

Again.

(-:

@cartun in-game!

Charles Logan
    Illustrator / Performer / Musician

On DeviantART
    On Facebook