test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has anyone else seen this?

wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Missions and Content
http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/news/archive.vm?id=155&month=current&locale=en_US

That... right there....

Wasn't that kind of what we were promised with the whole hideout thing? they kind of hyped these things up and then just forgot about them, and now suddenly the other Superhero MMO is getting better versions of hideouts.

What are your thoughts on this, and is there anything you want to see happen with OUR hideouts? Is there even anything planned for hideouts or are they literally just a fancy place to put your account bank? I'm definitely curious to get some honest opinions and feedback on those questions.
Post edited by wraithshadow13 on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Well this sucks.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Its what we were "hinted" at getting but with limited resources and not that many devs with vision, we were never meant to get anything close to that.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    still, i hate to see how common it is in cryptic games to hype a new feature that gets forgotten two months in. I know over on STO, they're talking about being able to do the custom bridges and fleet base with the foundry tech, but what DCUO is doing kind of puts our hideouts to shame. There's a lot of potential for the bases people put real money into and it's just sitting there doing nothing.

I would definitely love to see more functionality added to them here rather than new lock boxes but no new content. any thoughts on the second part of the OP?
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I know that it was said our hideouts have room for expansion, and that it was going to happen. But as to when I am not sure, I suspect it has been put on the back burner for naow...

But good things should come to those who wait...:rolleyes:

I know alot of us have been waiting, but I have hope that the end result will be to our liking ^^

But yeah it is obvious DC are stealing our hideout ideas and expanding it... >_>
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please remember it's also being funded by one of the world's largest companies while CO is being funded by Jack Daniels and the promise of liver for dinner for the devs.
    edited October 2012
    Hideouts turned out to be a massive waste of resources like the powerhouse theatre and the arenas.

The money never came rolling in, in fact the crowds rolled out in massive tsunami waves.

In the last year I haven't met a single player who gave a rat's tail about the hideouts.
    Nobody visiting my hideouts said "Oh lordy I'm gonna spend money on this game now!"
    In fact last year I re-upped my sub after helping a new Gold get her hideout from the C-store, then she never logged in again.

Admittedly I had a lot of fun with my hideouts when they were new and novel
    and the streets were heavy with the scent of thousands of unwashed noobs everyday.
    But in the end I could have just used account wide slots at the bank.

Probably important lesson for Cryptic to learn is that after burning me on the
    hideouts, I am not keen at all on giving them money again and I don't have
    any faith in any of their "big projects" that get announced.

Weren't we supposed to have battle against a Kraken?
    Or did he quit the game for Secret World?
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Won't get me to reinstall. The costume creator angers me.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Since DCU actually has resources and people working on it what would you expect. This was about to happen sooner or later. Wont be long until they get their Vehicles rolling. Oh yea, the Shield and Nature powers are pretty sweet :tongue: And the Water set is most likely coming soon also.
    But the game still sucks abit. :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ooooh cool.

Hopefully this will light a fire under Cryptic's butt to make hideouts more useful. And if not... well Cryptic isn't really doing anything to EARN my money anyway so maybe DCUO is an option. At least it'll be fresh. :eek:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Spending the majority of my time silver, a hideout became necessity for transferring items and storing globals.

I had more customization options in SWG as far as "living" spaces went, same for CoH (they actually had SuperGroup Bases). I can't remember what it was like in WoW, it's been years and I didn't like the reliance on guilds.

Take away the shared bank and the hideout offers nothing worth mentioning. That's kinda sad.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    WoW doesn't have living spaces - you don't get downtime. There are three inns in Stormwind (the largest human city, and the capital of the region) that I can recall; each has one bed. Down the road in Goldshire, there's an inn with three beds - what luxury!

I believe there are similar stats on the buildings on the Horde side - I couldn't play a Hordie long, because it was hard putting up with all the "wow, look how evil and kewl I am!" teeny-boppers. (And the Horde isn't even supposed to be evil - not since they broke from the Burning Legion, anyway...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If DCUO had better customization of characters and powers, it could easily beat this game, but sadly it doesn't so it isn't. But what it DOES seem to do it is keep adding content and small things like this to make people happy. Its building more of a fan base than a revenue stream while still maintaining a slight rev stream. With the way Sto is going and the way CO is leaning i honestly wonder how many moves like this it would take to get more people to jump brands.

What if they DID release a content update which changed the power set up or added a much better customization system? What happens if they DO add better vehicles in a few months? They already have the better VO, the better gold/silver setup, what's next?

Personally i hope this does light a fire under cryptic to start addressing player wants and needs rather than finding a few get rich quick schemes. I really like the freedom given in terms of looks, powers, and where you level, it just sucks that as a whole Cryptic seems to have stopped caring about the stuff that made it great to begin with.

I would love to see more functionality added to the bases like the possible garage for vehicles, sleeping quarters (maybe sleep to refill stars?), an actually costume area (tailor) that had batman-esue ways to display alternate costumes. A work shop would be cool for crafting if they ever add that back in the game (or custom action figures). There's a million things that could be added to what we have already to make them fun and useful.
  • Options
    chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    WoW doesn't have living spaces - you don't get downtime. There are three inns in Stormwind (the largest human city, and the capital of the region) that I can recall; each has one bed. Down the road in Goldshire, there's an inn with three beds - what luxury!

Oh, Goldshire's inn has it's own share of problems - for some reason, it's been one of the more infamous ERP hubs in the game. Particularly on the Moon Guard server, to the point that (allegedly) there's now a small subset of GMs whose sole job is to police that specific locale of that specific server and watch for folks causing trouble.
    I believe there are similar stats on the buildings on the Horde side - I couldn't play a Hordie long, because it was hard putting up with all the "wow, look how evil and kewl I am!" teeny-boppers. (And the Horde isn't even supposed to be evil - not since they broke from the Burning Legion, anyway...)

Clearly you've not been around lately - Garrosh, current leader of the Horde now that Thrall has stepped down to help heal the world's wounds following the emergence and defeat of the corrupted dragon Deathwing, has slowly been turning more bloodthirsty and warmongering out of belief it is the only way the Horde can survive, to the point where even some within the Horde itself hate him, and Blizzard has confirmed the final patch of the Mists of Pandaria expac will involve a raid upon Orgrimmar to depose the tyrant orc.
  • Options
    thesithkiller360thesithkiller360 Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wait Wait, u Mean SOME PPL STILL DONT PLAY DCUO YET?
    I really Hoped not to See that here, Although- of course, after all Those things stollen by Champions from DCUO (alerts, Earth power, night avenger- thing, etc.) , It was bound to happen for DCUO, so They finally retaliated by stealing the Hideout idea. Well, Good job, in a Way, lets Hope its gonna be more useful than in CO, really.
    Since DCU actually has resources and people working on it what would you expect. This was about to happen sooner or later. Wont be long until they get their Vehicles rolling. Oh yea, the Shield and Nature powers are pretty sweet And the Water set is most likely coming soon also.
    But the game still sucks abit.
    I bow my Head to this Comment, Indeed- when Other MMOs suck a hell of a Lot (100% serious there) , DCUO only sucks a bit cause of some lags/ bugs- but, as we just Saw from OP, the New DLCs make up for that matter, and include whole "Hideout" idea as one finished DLC. That was said spot- on, No wonder its won PCG GOTY award.
    PS. *Sigh*I know its Hard to believe, CO actually WAS in pcg's good books. And in mine. Long time ago, in a Galaxy Milky way.....
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Actually DCUO used to be a lot more like CO in it's early days being shown at comic con. To be honest it almost seems like a lot of what makes that game great was directly lifted from the early forums here as stuff CO players wanted changed. Personally i think they should have stuck with it and allowed more customisation as well as better power set ups, but sadly to avoid getting sued they had to change it. I'm curious to see what they'll be adding after hideouts though.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    allowed more customisation as well as better power set ups, but sadly to avoid getting sued they had to change it.

If this has any thruth in it, people leading DCU are dimwits...
    Don't know what parts the character customising was changed. Seems same as it was at the beginning, with same costume parts...oh wait, they added more body templates.
    And for powers, they do have Shield set, with throwable shield, so getting sued is last they are/were thinking/worrying...
    And i believe truly that someone keeps reading these forums from their team and makes notes...They are taking things and making them better...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I've been digging for the old leaked images and stuff from 2008 and earlier but sadly most of it is gone or just shows what you get today. I was able to find a few mentions here or there to the addition of more travel powers (which never happened) as well as having multiple costumes slots, origin missions as well as hard light and earth powers being in the alpha, but the stuff that showed the swinging as well as some of the early pre-alpha character creation i'm just not finding, which sucks because some of it looked pretty interesting over what they have now, though it was a little more cartoony like CO, but with Jim Lee's art style.
  • Options
    thesithkiller360thesithkiller360 Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If this has any thruth in it, people leading DCU are dimwits...
    Don't know what parts the character customising was changed. Seems same as it was at the beginning, with same costume parts...oh wait, they added more body templates.
    And for powers, they do have Shield set, with throwable shield, so getting sued is last they are/were thinking/worrying...
    And i believe truly that someone keeps reading these forums from their team and makes notes...They are taking things and making them better...
    Whoever this anonymous gentleman Is, he deserves a Medal. the Creators are exactly what he said They are, even though the game turned out to be - Not good- amazing. Why? well, Cause the developers- not leaders- did a dаmn good job of it. Imagine if they had nice dev team like now AND good leadership?
    Although I don't see really, how brining in the Wonderwoman's weapon makes the game makers not care about suing. Meh *Takes the Medal away from that gentleman*. Sry , judged too quickly.
    Although, again- if they actually read the forums..... They ACTUALLY READ what people suggest in the Community...... *Goes to DCUO*