test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official transitional guides/suggestions

chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Suggestions Box
Champions is different, no bones about it. With old MMO's dying, new MMOs coming up, and folks wanting to play something between major updates on currently running ones, I think it would be beneficial to make it easy to transition into CO.

A general guide to how to play, "if you're used to X, this is our Y," type thing would be a good idea. Don't rely on the forums! Make it, put it on the main page, and go from there.

Having "if you hated X, then you'll love our Y" would be good as well.

I've seen at least two big games with quizzes players can fill out, then get suggestions on what the game has to offer their playstyle. That'd be another thing to look at.

Making it a series of blogs, following hypothetical gamers from another titles, could be interesting/engaging, giving an understandable way to show/demonstrate differences.

"Here's Frank. He likes to tank in EverWar of WorldCraft 2, but prefers to jump in and play, not spend hours learning how to make builds/specs. Here's some AT's he'd like."

"This is Shellye. She's played Yet Another Fantasy MMO Online for years, and loves to get into the nitty gritty of mechanics. Here's why Free-Form is what she's been dreaming about."

"Steve is a long-time player and is a great team player. He hates soloing, hates outleveling his friends, hates being on the "wrong server," and generally is happiest in the middle of an epic fight. Here's how Champions Online makes sure you never have to play alone."

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
Post edited by chikahiro on

Comments

• chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Oh, maybe, JUST maybe, having a series on Free-Form builds would be great.

"Hey, I'd like to make X! How could I do that?"

"Well, instead of giving you a build, how about we give you some guidelines, and a few samples? We'll explain our reasoning, and suggest some alternatives, too."

It seems that, unlike STO, you guys benefit more from subscribers than Free or Lifetime players, so explaining and helping people to understand and enjoy the Free Form system would be most advantageous.

As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »

Ah, thank you! Had no idea that was going on! @_@

And I'd contribute, but I'm not even close to being an expert at this game. I figure that the devs would be best able to do things, especially since they know what they want/expect to be the baseline for performance. Players, IMO, can get a really inflated sense of what's required >_<

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's up to players to make the guides and stuff.
    Check CO Wiki. Player created. Volunteers updating it, without much(none) help from Cryptic.
    It's all up to us. Sad but true.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!