test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Difficulty System suggestion.

chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Suggestions Box
One of the things I liked in COH was the revamped Difficulty sliders they had: one for how much harder the enemies were (similar to what's here?), and the other that affected instance spawn sizes. Of course, that did nothing for the overworld.

So, I was thinking/wondering, what if CO's system got expanded? Much like our graphics options, there could be the existing system (Simple), and Advanced settings. I think the following could make things a bit more interesting:

Handicapping. Players could opt to have a debuff placed on them for 10%, 20%, 30%, etc., of their power. Reduce stats, HP, bonuses, etc. This would work in instances and the overworld, and would have the benefit of not directly making the game harder for teammates like raising enemy stats would.

Enemy Boosting. As it exists already, actually. Harder to hit, more HP, etc.

Secondary Effect Boosting. Give enemies an additional secondary effect to their attacks that only kicks in if this is raised above default/normal. The higher the setting, the more pronounced the effect will be upon players. Higher critical chances, critical damage, debuffs to accuracy, damage, defenses, buffs to enemy accuracy, damage, defenses, knockback, endurance drain, etc. This should be consistent across enemies types, so when a player sees Enemy X, Y, and Z, they know what they're getting into. Having special enemies with random mixings might be fun as well.

Maybe? Maybe not? Granted, having multiple options in this regard would be nice... might be a balancing nightmare, though, and I realize that. And, I realize this is likely a not insignificant amount of work. But, I figured I'd throw it out there. I love COH and STO's ground combat, and while I'm liking CO so far, the enemies seem a bit easy and less interesting since I seem to be able to steamroll most all of them :/

This would be a 3-setting system, with sliders or switches for each as appropriate.

Posting this after the idea came to me when asking about enemies: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=187211

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
Post edited by chikahiro on

Comments

• arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm a bit surprised you didn't also suggest they give us the option to increase the size of spawns in instances as well given that it's something that's already incorporated into the game.
  • chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Heh, true...

I figure it'd be an easy way to grease a lot of people, though! :p

edit: Also, from my tim messing with COH's MA, secondary effects add up, quick. It might be too much overall.

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.