test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Radiant Protection or Primal Majesty: Which do you prefer ALLIES to have?

williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Power Discussion
When you have a support ally with one of these two passives, which do you prefer seeing?

I need to decide between boosting my team's resistance by 112%, or boosting all of their stats by 92.

Radiant Protection admittedly LOOKS way the heck cooler, and fits the character with the spinny force-field looking graphic. But I'm sure 92 in every stat is very, very, very potent.

As an added question, what about Protection Field versus Mindful Reinforcement? This is more for the healers that use them. Does Protection Field's extended duration seem to help much? I've been having trouble keeping my entire team shielded via Mindful Reinforcement. Though I don't USUALLY need to keep them all shielded, so I don't know that it's too big a problem.
Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
Post edited by williamkony on

Comments

• Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For me it all comes down to how close the team and myself are to the various Soft Caps. and exactly what we will be doing. For instance, a team at or near soft caps on most or all of their ability effecting stats will get little benefit from AoPM, while those who are approaching Resistance soft caps will get little from the other.
    If we are facing something that just hits HARD resistance is usually better than the AoPM.
    In general, AoPM is my favourite sight on a support character because most of my builds just aren't good enough to make many of the various caps, driving me into diminishing returns.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When you have a support ally with one of these two passives, which do you prefer seeing?

I need to decide between boosting my team's resistance by 112%, or boosting all of their stats by 92.

Radiant Protection admittedly LOOKS way the heck cooler, and fits the character with the spinny force-field looking graphic. But I'm sure 92 in every stat is very, very, very potent.

Option (A) +92 All Stats -vs- Option (B) +112% All Damage Resistance?

I would prefer (A) when teaming with people of unknown competency as it ensures a certain minimum level of output.

I would prefer (B) when teaming with people I'm confident of, as ensuring that at least half of the incoming damage is being mitigated is more useful when I'm not concerned about their output.

Thereby: PUG or Friends? (PUG, (A). Friends, (B).)

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If you take AoRP, being close to another character with AoRP will disable your block skill due to a bug.

Might want to take that into consideration too.
  • Options
    ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If I had to pick one, I would choose AoPM because it does a lot more than just add to damage. It also makes everyone that has energy issues able to spam high end attacks with the bonuses to Int, Rec, and End...it also gives a huge boost to the toons that didn't take Dex, so the party crit rate goes up as well.

BUT if I had to choose just 1 support toon to team with, I would always pick an AoED toon. The damage boost to everyone is so nice, and black lightning is awesome.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    selphea wrote: »
    If you take AoRP, being close to another character with AoRP will disable your block skill due to a bug.

Might want to take that into consideration too.

WOW, is that STILL around?!

No wonder someone Pmed me and another Mind AT with abusive comments.

I knew that I first realised this bug when I ran TT with another Mind AT and a few FF's, we stayed in a relatively close knit group but our blocks never worked...

I thought this was fixed...hmm:frown::confused:
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If im running my regen toons or those that are particularly glass cannon like I do like to see AoRP. on my other toons AoPM is nice to see as it boosts up those areas I've neglected.
  • Options
    reddestshirtreddestshirt Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Personal preference: I play a tank and would prefer being granted Primal Majesty.
    It adds more bonuses that help me tank than Protection would, since my resistance is already high enough.

This really comes down to a choice between making people better over all (Primal Majesty)
    or helping the fragile characters stay alive so they can contribute at all (Radiant Protection).

You'll get more fighting power out of Primal Majesty and letting the weaklings die, but the people that really need your help will benefit more from Radiant Protection.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I generally go for DPS or Tank characters, and I generally feel more at ease when I see the ally-granted Primal Majesty pop up in my buff card list (seriously, what is the actual term for the little card things that represent the various buffs, debuffs, and assorted things that are happening to you over a period of time?)

To be honest, I don't have that much experience with radiant protection, and seldom see it. I might experiment with it at some point.

As for the bonus question, I find that protection field can make or break the difference on some Alerts, and, back when it was a thing, could make or break the difference in PvP.

Similarly to radiant protection though, I don't have much experience dealing with Mindful Reinforcement, mainly as it has a bit more subdued an animation I think, so I seldom notice others using it. Protection field is a big 'stuff your character concept, you are now BUBBLE MAN! EEEE' which takes your attention. When someone's blowing bubbles, I've yet to lose. Unless it's me blowing the bubbles onto people. Then they all die and people get cross at me and I have to log off to hide under the desk for a bit.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just wish that AoPM's aura had an on/off option like the AoRP does (ditto with AoED's aura). I swear one of the reasons I haven't made use of AoPM is that aura.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For pve use, I prefer to see AORP. Considering the squishy folk are the most vulnerable in the group, them getting a huge resistance boost can make things run much smoother.

Bonus stats are nice, but they only go so far, whereas extra protection can have a noticeable impact on so many setups, particularly your AT teammates.
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Shrugs, if the team needs a healer then I prefer an AORP. I don't object to Radiants or Grimoires but AORP is my preference. If it's anything else say a generic support/jack of all trades along the lines of a Grimoire then AOPM.
    Dunno bout your second question.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I will say that I've found AoRP to be extremely useful to my teammates when I'm playing my Support character, especially if you stack the Defensive buff with debuffs to the foes (Ebon Sigils, Skarn's Bane, Fear effects) and other types of buffs to allies (Sentinal Aura, IDF).

Heh, with AoRP and IDF, it's like I'm giving my teammates all an Invulnerability passive.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the input, y'all.

Made the switch from Mindful Reinforcement to Protection Field, and it's been much, much better. I can very easily keep my entire team shielded, since not everyone is taking constant damage. It fills the "preventative support" niche far better than Mindful Reinforcement did. So, that question's taken care of.

The aura, however, is still a matter of concern. I switched over to Primal Majesty, making sure it's the last thing in the retcon list so I can switch back if need be.

Since I don't have any teammates to play with regularly, I can't really tell if Primal Majesty is having that much of an effect. The amount of damage varies so much from team to team that I can't tell if their effectiveness is a result of the aura, or if they're just naturally powerful.

What I have noticed is that, predictably, it can be a lot harder to keep my team alive. Switching to Protection Field has helped, as I can have them shielded in preparation for the damage they might receive, and Primal Majesty means more powerful shields. However, in many cases, my allies will get taken out from max health, too quickly for me to do anything about it. Particularly in the Hi-Pan Alert. Though, again, this may just be normal "random team" variation, and they'd have gotten killed even with Radiant Protection.

One other thing I've noticed is that, in Alerts where my level drops to 30, the effectiveness of Radiant Protection goes UP whereas the effectiveness of Primal Majesty goes DOWN. Probably an effect of level-based scaling. I'm guessing Primal Majesty gives the same boost in relation to stats regardless of level, whereas Radiant Protection gets more resistance per point of Presence at lower levels because of its percentage-based nature, where 100% resistance is just as potent on a level 10 as a level 40.

I'm kinda tired and wonky, so I apologize for my likely-incoherent rambling.

Anyway, I should probably get a friend or two that I've played with before to help me test, have them tell me how much of a difference Primal Majesty makes for them. Unfortunately, they generally build with adequate survivability in mind, so Radiant Protection wouldn't really do much of anything for them.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!