test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do people read descriptions?

2»

Comments

• ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've read some things in bios that cannot be unread. So I'm VERY PICKY NOW about which I read.

Some of my characters hit me the right way, I'll give them a bio, otherwise I start with concept, costume and powers and just let it ride.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is my personal behavior, don't let this stop you from making a good bio.

I interact with them without having read their bio. If I need to cheat, I read the bio.

Visuals > Conversation > Experiences > Bio(if all else fails)

I find it helps out interaction when you know as much about the other character as your character might in that situation, which is not much at all until he gets closer or has talked with them for a while.

What information are you looking for from a biography then?

cyjonpw wrote: »
    I still have no idea why people write such elaborate bios for their characters...

And I still have no idea why people don't... :)

I don't check for bios anymore because the VAST majority of characters don't have them. I like writing them because a fleshed out character is way more fun.

Exactly my feelings on the matter.

Same thing could be said for items in the game. They used to have amusing or interesting descriptions in the info, now they're just blank items with names. While I don't care for the campy style of humor that much (I prefer a bit more realism or sarcasm), it still was better than well... nothingness.

somebob wrote: »
    Agreed 100%. If I like how your character looks, I'll punch my /targetinfo bind and take a look for a bio. There's a surprisingly large amount of RPers out in CO it seems, or at least those who put something into their bio.

Just FYI - the formatting system is NOT WYSIWYG. You'll have to use HTML codes to space things out.

Is that /target_info or /targetinfo? I've never seemed to get it to work with some of these binds...
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If I see fellow lizards I usually check their bios.
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I often read bios, while waiting for alerts n such. Quite a few people have actually written something in there. I mean a story and not just a "HAHA WASTED YOUR TIME D*CKWAD" and that's nice. I usually try to write a sentence or two when creating a new character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I avoid players with long descriptions, I found them to be like that awkward person
    at a party that comes up to a group of people mid conversation and barks like dog or
    rubs someone's shoulder like a cat and meows. Or one of the people who bothers
    me at a bus stop and smells of urine.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I avoid players with long descriptions, I found them to be like that awkward person
    at a party that comes up to a group of people mid conversation and barks like dog or
    rubs someone's shoulder like a cat and meows. Or one of the people who bothers
    me at a bus stop and smells of urine.

But yours are sorta long. Not to long. Well not that big to be honest.* Meh* I've seen bigger.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    But yours are sorta long. Not to long. Well not that big to be honest.* Meh* I've seen bigger.

That's what she said. :tongue:
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    malvou wrote: »
    If I see fellow lizards I usually check their bios.

lol, why am I not suprised...? :biggrin: ^_^
    That's what she said. :tongue:

It is! lol
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I generally don't read bios (and only rarely include them for my characters) for the simple reason that I don't think that random passersby would have access to that knowledge. Some few of those I have read over the years have been interesting, others.....

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • vendincevendince Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I actually find it hard to play a character without a description. Some are long, some are short, but if the character doesn't have a personality and story, it just doesn't click, no matter how awesome the build is.
  • rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vendince wrote: »
    I actually find it hard to play a character without a description. Some are long, some are short, but if the character doesn't have a personality and story, it just doesn't click, no matter how awesome the build is.

I can see this point, but lack of a description does not equate to a lack of personality or story. I've been playing my two mains for over three years now. They exhibit very distinct temperaments and charms via interactions with other players. Their stories run over 200 pages in my wiki.

I've seen some interesting things in descriptions, but I'd still rather learn about a character by actually getting to know them.
  • vendincevendince Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    True, which is why I like to go for a shorter description in-game and a longer one at the wiki, which I link to at the profile.

So I guess what we can agree on is that characters are best to play when you know their personality?
  • nisroc111nisroc111 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I read them! I always love reading interesting stories. So yes, people do read those.
  • rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vendince wrote: »
    True, which is why I like to go for a shorter description in-game and a longer one at the wiki, which I link to at the profile.

So I guess what we can agree on is that characters are best to play when you know their personality?

Indeed :biggrin: