test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Purchasing a retail copy of the game

shockedkillerzshockedkillerz Posts: 2 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
I hope I posted this in the right section. If not, please move it to the correct one.

Some retailers like Amazon but also some local game stores still have a retail copy of Champions Online for sale. Now I was wondering whether you get something (like a subscription for one month) for purchasing it. Please someone shed some light on this.

Thanks.
Post edited by shockedkillerz on

Comments

• yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hope I posted this in the right section. If not, please move it to the correct one.

Some retailers like Amazon but also some local game stores still have a retail copy of Champions Online for sale. Now I was wondering whether you get something (like a subscription for one month) for purchasing it. Please someone shed some light on this.

Thanks.

I do believe you get a one month subscription for buying it at a regular retailer, you might even find an old copy with some of the pre-order items.

FYI some of the device pre-orders are kinda cool and add an aura/effect to your toon, however, all but one of the costume pre-orders is avaliable freely in the game. So buy retail only for the devices or the the Grond AF, not the costumes.

But really why buy from a retailer at all? You can download the game here:

http://co.perfectworld.com/download

And then pay the $14 for the one month subscription.
  • drainbamaged1drainbamaged1 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was in my local Bestbuy last week and picked up 6 physical copies for $0.13 each. Now I'm a lifetimer, but I was wondering what a retail key might give me so I figured I could take a chance on such a small amount. I entered a key and while it didn't give me anything, interestingly it was listed as a Wal-Mart retail key. Anyway, Silvers (or monthly Gold subscribers) are welcome to try out a key and see what it gives you... (just post in this thread and let me know so I can share another)

CRWM1-WHFBA-7Y4RT-LH7XL-N37CB
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    retail box codes give you 1 month time but can only be used once per account per retailers version.
    the code you posted was a walmart code which will give you $5 of zen even to a lifetime member
    (like me thanks for the code 500zen :))
    and 1 month of game time to a non lifetime member as well
    the gamestop version is worth tracking down because it gives antigrav boots to every character and future character on your account,bound of course
    a list of different retail boxes and what they give

• shockedkillerzshockedkillerz Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the answers, guys. Highly appreciated.
    yogid0nnie wrote: »
    I do believe you get a one month subscription for buying it at a regular retailer, you might even find an old copy with some of the pre-order items.

FYI some of the device pre-orders are kinda cool and add an aura/effect to your toon, however, all but one of the costume pre-orders is avaliable freely in the game. So buy retail only for the devices or the the Grond AF, not the costumes.

But really why buy from a retailer at all? You can download the game here:

http://co.perfectworld.com/download

And then pay the $14 for the one month subscription.

Well, amazon got it for 2? so yeah, you save a lot of money by purchasing it there.
    edited October 2012
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    retail box codes give you 1 month time but can only be used once per account per retailers version.
    the code you posted was a walmart code which will give you $5 of zen even to a lifetime member

Hmmm, I didn't notice my 500 zen but it's better than nothing. I was hoping to have a Silver use the code to actually get some game time out of the code but whatever.

I have three codes left. If you'd like one, shoot me a Private Message and I'll get back to the first three that ask me.
    edited October 2012
    Hmmm, I didn't notice my 500 zen but it's better than nothing. I was hoping to have a Silver use the code to actually get some game time out of the code but whatever.

I have three codes left. If you'd like one, shoot me a Private Message and I'll get back to the first three that ask me.

When you said it was the best buy box i got excited
    i had been looking for the best buy box for a year
    the best buy box gives the grond action figure
    it ended up being the walmart version
  • cerebellumcerebellum Posts: 74
    edited October 2012
    the gamestop version is worth tracking down because it gives antigrav boots to every character and future character on your account,bound of course
    a list of different retail boxes and what they give

If you have any left I would like a code, you can PM me, but if you are out already I understand.

ETA: Sorry, quoted the wrong person, used to the quote being at the bottom of the thing I want to quote instead of the top.
    edited October 2012
    Codes are gone. Sorry, cerebellum. I'll keep my eyes peeled at other Bestbuys. $0.13 was pretty damn cheap.
  • cerebellumcerebellum Posts: 74
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the offer.:biggrin: I guess I will just have to farm questionite for now.
  • paragonpeteparagonpete Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A related question: I was looking at the boxed game as possibly a way of saving bandwidth here.

I am on a satellite internet connection (and actually leery of investing anything into this game up front, given that it may be unplayable with high latency), so a 3GB download for the installer is equivalent to $15USD for me, based on my service limits. Not to mention that it puts me out for much of my total internet usage for the month. And the likelihood that there are more updates to download on top of that.

But, with the only retail version of the game being the original 2009 release, it may be the case that I would still be downloading 3GB or more to bring things up to current.

So, can anyone here tell me how much update transfer to expect from a retail install?

Or would anyone be willing to send me a full current install on DVD by mail (for around $5 to cover media and shipping)?
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Bumping thread past football spam crap thread
    edited October 2012
    A related question: I was looking at the boxed game as possibly a way of saving bandwidth here.

I am on a satellite internet connection (and actually leery of investing anything into this game up front, given that it may be unplayable with high latency), so a 3GB download for the installer is equivalent to $15USD for me, based on my service limits. Not to mention that it puts me out for much of my total internet usage for the month. And the likelihood that there are more updates to download on top of that.

But, with the only retail version of the game being the original 2009 release, it may be the case that I would still be downloading 3GB or more to bring things up to current.

So, can anyone here tell me how much update transfer to expect from a retail install?

Or would anyone be willing to send me a full current install on DVD by mail (for around $5 to cover media and shipping)?
    they have had 3 massive updates since launch, i wouldnt expect to save any bandwidth from that cd.
    that being said you cant beat 500 zen and 1 month gold for 19 cents
    unless you are out in the bush, maybe you could go to starbucks to download it
  • mainscrizzmainscrizz Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If someone has the GameStop one, I have a Bestbuy one(it gives grond AF and inborn tenacity) and want to trade. :D

you can find me @scrizz in game
    i can get a gamestop one, but it would require a 1 hour drive
    edited October 2012
    just found the best buy box on ebay for $5 which isnt bad since you get $5 of zen inborn tenacity and a grond action figure. i bought 5 ,drainbamaged1 one is for you if you want it,
    3 will go to friends that need the grond af
    but they had at least 5 left and they didn't charge for postage
    the gamestop one you can get buy going to their site, you cant order online but you can check which stores have it
  • mainscrizzmainscrizz Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    just found the best buy box on ebay for $5 which isnt bad since you get $5 of zen inborn tenacity and a grond action figure. i bought 5 ,drainbamaged1 one is for you if you want it,
    3 will go to friends that need the grond af
    but they had at least 5 left and they didn't charge for postage
    the gamestop one you can get buy going to their site, you cant order online but you can check which stores have it

does it give preorder bonus?
    it does since i bought 5 of those before as well
    i now have antigrav boots on all my toons, also 4 of my friends do as well :)
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just bought the game from Gamestop and activated the key and got NOTHING.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited October 2012
    check your bonus tab at the end of the cstore
    you cant see it unless you use the arrows
    if you really did get nothing you should write a ticket
    you should have 30 days gametime as gold,500 zen and antigrav boots in the bonus tab at the cstore.
    the antigrav boots are bound but everycharacter can grab a pair, great while leveling without a flight power
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    check your bonus tab at the end of the cstore
    you cant see it unless you use the arrows

Doh...
    Yea my grav boots were in there, as well as a tone of other stuff i that has been collecting dust for god knows how long.:tongue:
    EDIT:
    thx

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hmm, I might have to check this out when I get up in the morning. I got my boxed copy at Best Buy and I didn't even know there were extra goodies to it!
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When I first started playing Champs I bought a few of these from Amazon, I got a Walmart one, an amazon one and one copy that I'm not sure when it was from, This got me 3 months of game time during which I started collecting action figures..... The last one I got was the Best buy one for the Grond Action Figure.... I was wondering if there is a list of the give-aways and who was giving away what anywhere to see if there were any Action figures I could still get .... Thanks!
    edited October 2012
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd love to find a Gamestop copy myself...

Not available from them online, dimmit...

:frown:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
    edited October 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    I'd love to find a Gamestop copy myself...

Not available from them online, dimmit...

:frown:
    its not available to order
    but you can check to see which stores have it in stock
    low stock means they don't have it btw
    edited October 2012
    i bought 5 ,drainbamaged1 one is for you if you want it,

I'm not much into AF's so that should go to someone who really wants it but thank you for the thought.
    edited October 2012
    italso gives the inborn tenacity aura/damage resist device to all your characters
    edited October 2012
    there are still copies of the bestbuy exclusive box available
    this will give you the grond action figure and inborn tenacity aura device
    i used the retail box from this guy its legit link here
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Dang! Only mails to the US.

There goes my chance...
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
    edited October 2012
    Dang! Only mails to the US.

There goes my chance...

if you send me a message ingame
    @jasinblazing
    id be willing to receive the package and give you the code
    so send me a mail ingame then ill send my address to you.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    if you send me a message ingame
    @jasinblazing
    id be willing to receive the package and give you the code
    so send me a mail ingame then ill send my address to you.

That's a real nice offer Jasin, I might have to take you up on that.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
    edited October 2012
    you could always ask the seller if he would just email you the code