test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Healer Build - first time attempting

r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Builds and Roles
OK, so I've leveled many toons to 40, most are solo/survivable, with a few tanks and pure dps (glass cannons) thrown in. I have never done a support or healing build before, so I thought I'd retcon one of my 40's into it, just to check it out.

I "sort of" did research, but with the horrible forum merger and lack of fresh posts since I've come back to the game (after about a 1-1.5 year hiatus), I seem to be taking a stab in the dark here (or in the light, as the case may be).

So far this is what I have:
PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Botto

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Presence (Secondary)
Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents: (I added the talent values to the export)
Level 1: The Radiant (Int +10, Ego +10, Pre +10, Rec +8, others +5)
Level 6: Command Training (Int +3, Ego +3, Pre +3, Rec +3)
Level 9: Sniper Training (End +3, Dex +3, Ego +3, Pre +3)
Level 12: Survival Training (Con +3, End +2, Dex +3, Pre +3, Rec +2)
Level 15: Covert Ops Training (Con +3, Str +3, Dex +3, Int +3)
Level 18: Field Ops Training (Con +3, End +2, Int +3, Ego +3, Rec +2)
Level 21: Enduring (Con +8)

Gearless Stats: (I added this to the export)
STR: 13 _____ EGO: 24
DEX: 96_____ PRE: 62
CON: 27_____ REC: 20
INT: 62 _____ END: 17

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt
Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Admonish)
Level 6: Seraphim (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Illumination (Rank 2, Brilliance)
Level 11: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Thermal Reverberation
Level 20: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Rank 3, Nyctophobia)
Level 23: Flashfire (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Compassion
Level 29: Redemption
Level 32: Sigils of Radiant Sanctuary (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Imbue
Level 38: Ascension (Judgment)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Fire Flight (Rank 2)
Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Rejuvenated (2/3)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Precise (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Persevere (1/2)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)
Stats: I like to spread my talents around a bit, picking things that have 3 or more in them first (as opposed to the pure or dual ones). I added CON at the end just for some health. Not sure if this was wise or not.

Gearing: I have really OLD crap on this guy (he was last played 388 days ago, and that was just poking in, so the gear is from Champions 533 days ago). Needless to say, I don't know what to do for gearing at this point.

Powers: Here I just tried to go the Celestial route, but added in some various powers for a bit of offense (for times when healing may not be needed). I don't know if it is enough to solo level 40 stuff (UNITY / UNITY 2) as I have not left the Powerhouse yet (so I can "fix" anything that needs fixing). I probably need the most help here.

Specializations: I have very limited experience with them in general, and especially for a healer. Any suggestions here (or anywhere) are appreciated. I took a guess at most of them, figuring that I wouldn't be focusing on Offense (should I?).

Thanks for any suggestions and replies!

-r0y
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by r0y0 on

Comments

• agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really like how you formatted this with the extra information! :smile:

Hmm, a few things to consider for improvement that jump out at me right away:

• Remove advantage: Ascension (Judgment) It's not as helpful as it looks in theory.

• One of the main advantages of the Dexterity Specialization tree is where you can increase critical severity, just something to consider. The specialization is called Deadly Aim.

• Flashfire's damage isn't very powerful, but Imbue on the otherhand is overpowered as it is right now to where it's pretty much a must-have to be at R3 if you're going to take the power. Rebuke and Imbue work excellent together for healing, I use it myself on my dedicated healer to great effect (she's PRE, REC & INT; uses protection fields to protect and rebuke to quickly heal)

• I really like how you diversified with your talents with training, but any +8 to a single stat in the talents is a waste of a talent point -- at least use the +5/+5 ones! For me I get the three +5/+5 ones that match my superstats and then choose something from the training sets that rounds out my build a bit more. Remember that your primary boost to stats will be coming from it being your superstat and secondly from your gear's Mods. So use your talents to give you the supporting stats that aren't superstats (but preferably also include your superstats at the same time)

• With DEX as a primary superstat you'll be getting critical chance in the 40% range at level 40 with decent gear. I'd look for active offenses or other things that can give you a flat boost to your critical chance if possible (as the logarithmic nature of stats like critical chance is giving you notable diminishing returns yb that point). It's hard to push past the 50% mark, but certain things will do this (i.e.: Ego Surge + Nimble Mind + CON superstat)

• Might I recommend picking up Warden or Guardian with Best Defense R3 in place of Sentry or Sentinel? You certainly don't have to, but it would make your build stronger with good gear.

• Moment of Need and Eternal Spring compliment one another synergistically.
  • ssholeroyssholeroy Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    • Remove advantage: Ascension (Judgment) It's not as helpful as it looks in theory.
    OK. Yeah, I don't know the powers or advantages well enough on these support things; there is a lot I still need to learn about healing in this game. Thanks!
    • One of the main advantages of the Dexterity Specialization tree is where you can increase critical severity, just something to consider. The specialization is called Deadly Aim.
    I saw that, I'll look to use Deadly Aim when I re-do the specializations!
    • Flashfire's damage isn't very powerful, but Imbue on the otherhand is overpowered as it is right now to where it's pretty much a must-have to be at R3 if you're going to take the power. Rebuke and Imbue work excellent together for healing, I use it myself on my dedicated healer to great effect (she's PRE, REC & INT; uses protection fields to protect and rebuke to quickly heal)
    Flashfire is there mainly for the ENERGY UNLOCK. I did not see any energy unlock that really fit the build (w/o going into fears and using the darkness one). Yeah, it seems gimpy, and maybe I don't need an energy unlock on healing/support with Seraphim? I think I might follow your example and ss PRE, REC and INT, as I need more power early on (shielding, etc). I'll give Imbue R3 a try while I'm at it.
    • I really like how you diversified with your talents with training, but any +8 to a single stat in the talents is a waste of a talent point -- at least use the +5/+5 ones! For me I get the three +5/+5 ones that match my superstats and then choose something from the training sets that rounds out my build a bit more. Remember that your primary boost to stats will be coming from it being your superstat and secondly from your gear's Mods. So use your talents to give you the supporting stats that aren't superstats (but preferably also include your superstats at the same time)
    Yeah, I might just drop the +8 for a +5/+5... I really need to re-think the talents, especially taking into consideration the exclusions of gear (i.e. PRE and CON are exclusive, I believe).
    • With DEX as a primary superstat you'll be getting critical chance in the 40% range at level 40 with decent gear. I'd look for active offenses or other things that can give you a flat boost to your critical chance if possible (as the logarithmic nature of stats like critical chance is giving you notable diminishing returns yb that point). It's hard to push past the 50% mark, but certain things will do this (i.e.: Ego Surge + Nimble Mind + CON superstat)
    Ego Surge +adv was one of the things I was considering, but why should CON be superstated for this? Or just ss'd in general?
    • Might I recommend picking up Warden or Guardian with Best Defense R3 in place of Sentry or Sentinel? You certainly don't have to, but it would make your build stronger with good gear.
    This is a recurring argument/decision I kept having: more damage and survivability vs. being a healer and support (where my team does the damage and tanking). It was hard for me NOT to go down the solo/survivalist route, as I do that with a lot of my toons. I wanted to keep it closer to "pure healer" as I can... which brings up the questions: how much "pure healing" is really needed in the game? I mean, end-game stuff (Nemcons, gravitar, etc). This, I don't know.

I suppose the question I need to ask is: does OFFENSE help healing? (especially the Celestial dual-power attacks/heals). I wasn't thinking to be offense much at all, but yeah, if I get bored healing and need to add some DPS to the team, I'll prob. go that route.
    • Moment of Need and Eternal Spring compliment one another synergistically.
    More things to learn about the Specialization Trees... ;-)

Thank you for all your suggestions and help, I will keep them in mind while I tweak this.

-r0y
  • r0y0r0y0 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    OK, so taking nx5's advice and playing around with the planner, I came up with the following Healer Build:

Name: Botto

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Radiant
    Level 6: Field Ops Training
    Level 9: Discipline Training
    Level 12: Jack of All Trades
    Level 15: Martial Training
    Level 18: Command Training
    Level 21: Survival Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt (Despondency)
    Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Imbue (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Seraphim (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Compassion
    Level 14: Celestial Conduit (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Overdrive
    Level 20: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Redemption
    Level 29: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Conviction
    Level 35: Sigils of Radiant Sanctuary (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Fire Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Acrobatics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Presence: Repurpose (2/3)
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Reactive Strikes (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Locus (2/2)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Presence Mastery (1/1)
    I switched the SuperStats, a little talent manipulation, and went with BOTH the guardian and warden trees... apparently they stack! Wow, got a lot of Offense/Defense now!

Hope I am not gimping myself too badly. I'm still in the powerhouse, so I can undo it all if needed.

I figure if I'm not healing with rebuke and celestial conduit (or applying force shields), then I'll be attacking... and that means conduit and/or skarn's bane... both maintains, so Overload was the energy unlock of choice. I have to say, though, that it doesn't seem to fire off as often as it does on my electric build...

As always, critiques and comments are welcome!

-r0y
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    r0y0 wrote: »
    OK, so taking nx5's advice

please, just "x5" (typically when typing) or "agent" (what people seem to call me over Ventrilo voice chat) :smile:
    ssholeroy wrote: »
    OK. Yeah, I don't know the powers or advantages well enough on these support things; there is a lot I still need to learn about healing in this game. Thanks!

There always seems to be more to learn, and even when you think you've learned a lot somebody will show you a new combination or the developers change something and you have to rethink how to work stuff.
    Flashfire is mainly for the ENERGY UNLOCK. I did not see any energy unlock that really fit the build (w/o going into fears and using the darkness one). Yeah, it seems gimpy, and maybe I don't need an energy unlock on healing/support with Seraphim? I think I might follow your example and ss PRE, REC and INT, as I need more power early on (shielding, etc). I'll give Imbue R3 a try while I'm at it.

Tip: Imbue with cooldown reduction & cost reduction utility gear will stack with INT and INT & REC together make MSA work well. And MSA can be easily triggered by Conviction, Lunges, and/or Imbue! (this is known as "synergy" between powers, they compliment and augment each other)

Tip: You can also have synergy with the powers of other TEAMMATES! Super-effective and fun! The power of auras in teamplay should not be underestimated.
    Yeah, I might just drop the +8 for a +5/+5... I really need to re-think the talents, especially taking into consideration the exclusions of gear (i.e. PRE and CON are exclusive, I believe).

Restricted CON is the result of a bug with the crafting nodes out in the Zones right now I believe. Even if it was fixed just recently the high demand for CON and the dent in the supply is still going to echo for quite awhile.

One of those few "always" things in this game is to avoid the +8 talents.
    Ego Surge +adv was one of the things I was considering, but why should CON be superstated for this? Or just ss'd in general?

See this is the crazy thing. Nimble Mind SHOULD be based on INT, not CON. CON is more meant for tanks, increasing HP. For some crazy reason CON made into this super-damage stat primarily because of Nimble Mind and Imbue. It would add a TON of diversity if it scaled with INT, as well as fitting the name better.
    This is a recurring argument/decision I kept having: more damage and survivability vs. being a healer and support (where my team does the damage and tanking). It was hard for me NOT to go down the solo/survivalist route, as I do that with a lot of my toons. I wanted to keep it closer to "pure healer" as I can... which brings up the questions: how much "pure healing" is really needed in the game? I mean, end-game stuff (Nemcons, gravitar, etc). This, I don't know.

You CAN be both a dedicated healer and deal decent damage if you use devices and things like Imbue to your advantage. This is actually the reason they created Imbue in the first place, but it's being mostly used by extreme DPS and min/max PvP builds... And of course it's bugged last time I check to where it doesn't consume the on-next-hit effect when you use a heal, which means you can basically uber-heal forever.

Also keep this in mind, being the jack all trades means you're master of none.

There's nothing "wrong" per se with being a mutt-build mix of everything with no focus, but you'll be horrendously weak and that can be frustrating (also it gives you no grounds to complain about things being too hard in the game). A strong build has a focus power (or two) and seeks to build up that focus with various synergistic powers, talents, stats, specializations, gear, etc. so that you get the most out of it.

When building freeforms, your FIRST question needs to be "What power or two active-use powers am I going to focus on?" An easy set to get started with gaining experience on this with is the telekinesis power set (TK blades, TK lance, etc.) and get familiar with the Ego Leech mechanic. I say that one is easier because it clearly identifies what it works with and doesn't cross-branch into other power sets much at all, kind of staying isolated.

My dedicated healer is extremely powerful at healing, even though she's mostly doing rebuke and protection bubbles. Part of the secret to this is I'm tap-spamming rebuke and protection bubbles and I have several cunning mechanisms to supply tons of energy and cut the cost to use my powers. As a result I can anybody alive from anything in the game except for maybe a few things such as Gravitar's yellow bubble of doom and those level 60 Mega D's.

I say she's dedicated because she's designed to heal, not kill, and she boasts a 100% resurrection with the necessary support powers to cast it even while getting hit (she won't get interrupted unless you knock, paralyze, use an interrupt like Backhand Chop or Power Gauntlet, or outright insta-kill her).

I suppose the question I need to ask is: does OFFENSE help healing? (especially the Celestial dual-power attacks/heals). I wasn't thinking to be offense much at all, but yeah, if I get bored healing and need to add some DPS to the team, I'll prob. go that route.

The +Offense stat increases base damage by up to a "soft-cap" (logarithmic) of 40%. (pushing near or past this soft-cap is a waste of points btw) So yes, it does help healing.

You'll want about 300-ish +Offense to get the full benefit, and not neglect your other superstats or other aspects of your build while doing so. This is why "Best Defense" is such a wonderful specialization.

Thank you for all your suggestions and help, I will keep them in mind while I tweak this.
    -r0y

Anytime r0y :smile:
    edited October 2012
    After some debate with myself, I've decided to share my dedicated healer's build.

This is Ynnea, she's a celestial hiding amongst humans. She was left behind when most of her kind ascended because she felt she could not forsake the other beings at the hands of her evil twin brother. Her brother is her anti-thesis, cruel and genuinely evil, and he's been winning the "war" against God. In fact in his own twisted mind, he is God and delightfully mocks the faithful, challenging their deities to "save them" as he horrifically tortures them until he has them begging for death at which point he typically forces them to become an undead slave for as long as he feels like it. Where her brother feels life is an imperfection that must be cleansed (which is why he gets along with Mechanon actually), Ynnea values life and seeks to save it whenever possible. Often criticized as naive to the cruelty of the word, Ynnea is very powerful and never loses hope.

She's also has the allegiance of most species of dragons (hence the extra power you can see at the end that's really just for theme & fun purposes), and is on a first name basis with many famous outer-plane denizens, including Therakiel who she knows personally. Therakiel has selfishly used Ynnea's help in the past to gain power, and she is reluctant to strike him down because on some level she empathizes with him (as she too is cast out). The difference is Ynnea seeks to help others selflessly, where as Therakiel is selfish and ambitiously arrogant.

Name: Ynnea

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Radiant
    Level 6: Diplomatic
    Level 9: Negotiator
    Level 12: Lasting Impression
    Level 15: Command Training
    Level 18: Sniper Training
    Level 21: Survival Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Radiance
    Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Imbue (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Seraphim (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Compassion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Redemption (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Vengeance (Redemption Denied)
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Ascension (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 29: Unbreakable
    Level 32: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Palliate (Absolve)
    Level 38: Fury of the Dragon

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation
    Level 35: Fire Flight

Specializations:
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (2/3)
    Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Genesis (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Make It Count (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (1/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Sentinel Mastery is a little secret of this build that works extremely well in teamplay, Smash Alerts in particular. Take a closer look at it and at the advantage on Vengance to see why. Presence Mastery is crap in comparison. The only downside is that nobody notices why they are regenerating a % of their HP when they attack the main target(s) (which is fine, just get used to being an unsung hero and be happy it). Vengeance also gets less expensive as you fully charge it (up to 3 stacks).

She's not a powerhouse for criticals (except for Imbue of course), but her base healing is shockingly powerful and her energy supply is arguably the best out of all my characters (or at least Kali is on par with her using the Supernatural Power energy unlock). I'm hitting Imbue and Conviction almost all the time with her and her sky-blue bubbles typically cover anybody in range of me in combat.

She's got a interesting mechanism to drop agro/threat, take a look at Palliate's advantage. Also Sentinel Aura works the same effectiveness as Illumination with Brilliance really, but without generating the threat or needing me to waste power points or precious advantage points on it. Tap-spamming rebuke is her typical means of healing (also note that it's a "blast" attack when looking at the specialization choices I made).

When Sentinel Aura was nerfed her build was weakened somewhat from being goddess-like, but it's still extremely strong (enough that you're pretty much guaranteed to win if I'm on the team and you play smart, including letting me resurrect you if you fall. That 100% rez is there for a reason ya know...)

I'm packing some VERY nice gear on her btw, second only to my main character. She's even got a compliment of two different self-rez devices, Heroic Recovery, Nimbus of Force, Archer's Memory, Revenant of Firefight, Gnashers, USSR zombies, Soul Vortex, etc... R9 Sentinel's Brooch Core and a few PRE R7 & R8's, vigilante secondary gear now too.

If you need a healer for your team for a major mission and I'm playing on her, let me know. I'd be happy to put her to use (when I made her, my supergroup was very active).

~edit~

One more tip about Ynnea, Absolve and the Dragon power are the last two things on the list that are added, so I can remove them depending on the mission. If I need to I'll swap out for Rebirth, or even add Radiant Summoning and switch the two points from Absolve to Unbound Ritual. This methodology of building is commonly called "building to remove".
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    FYI, as others have suggested using this power - Imbue is being changed around very shortly. It's going from an On Next Hit crit to a crit chance and severity Active Offense.

Something to think about.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    FYI, as others have suggested using this power - Imbue is being changed around very shortly. It's going from an On Next Hit crit to a crit chance and severity Active Offense.

Something to think about.

Indeed, probably not wise to do such things as retcons until it comes through and you can assess whether you want the new version.

Or just skip it I guess.

Or try and squeeze as much use out of before the nerf, but I wouldn't suggest it personally.