test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Attacks not doing damage?

hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Gameplay Bugs
Most noticeably right now on the Mega Ds. I've noticed a similar thing during Blood Moons against Tako and I was wondering if this was common? I started paying attention to logs after my PA who regular gets top 3 dropped to 60k points in my latest few rounds. Logs showed that a huge chunk of my attacks aren't registered. I see energy being used, I see Concentration being triggered but no damage being dealt. Tried it on a sniper character, Concentration and Killer Instinct both triggered. I actually got a critical on an attack that did no damage. There's also no yellow damage floaters showing up.
Post edited by hubrix on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Megas moving out of line of sight/fire? The targetbox point is way down on their feet. I noticed that if they or i go little down the ramp and lose the sight of the feet, sometimes instead the powericon going grey i keep shooting but no damage happens. And this seem to happen on maintains. On AR and Gatling gun for me.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm getting the same kind of thing, and not in Alert/Event instances. I sometimes have attacks fizzle in the open world against regular opponents, or in Instances. I have yet to see it happen on an opening attack; it's usually a Charged attack. I sometimes see the word "Critical" float up in yellow without a number.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    cyjonpwcyjonpw Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've seen the same thing recently on my Fire character. It appears to happen only on Conflagration. Fire Breath, Fire Ball, and her EB and base attack all seem to be fine. The power bar appears and empties as normal for maintains, her energy gets used up, but no damage is done. This has been only in the last week or two. 99% of the time it works fine and I have no idea why it suddenly doesn't. She's so squishy that it usually means she dies by the time I realize there is a problem so there isn't any time to experiment.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The problem is that the UI and the game itself use two different bits of code to determine if you're in range of a 'summon ranged entity to deal damage' power (like Conflag, Lightning Storm, Avalanche, etc). And they absolutely do not agree with each other. At all.

It's a broken mess.

Case in point - let's use a Mega-D.

The UI itself thinks you're in range if ANY part of the target's bounding box is within range of your power.

The game thinks you're in range ONLY if you're within range of the power at the TARGET'S FEET, dead center.

This generally isn't a problem in CO, as most mobs are only 7 or so feet tall. It's 'close enough' and you generally don't notice it, unless you attack at the extreme edge of your power's distance.

Against something that's 70ft tall however, this requires you to either fight from ground level if you want some distance, or get right into its face if you want to attack from high off the ground.

Again, this is only a problem with ranged powers that summon an entity that deals damage above a target (Conflaguration, Lightning Storm, Avalanche, etc). And has been broken for a very long time now.

For another example - go find a chair in Ren Cen (or any object period). Move to exactly 50ft away (the moment the UI icon lights up). You can use your EB, Fireball, Lightning Arc, whatever just fine. But try to use Avalanche, Conflag, etc, and you'll notice that while you do the animation, and your energy is drained, it doesn't actually work as you're just out of range.

Yet another long time bug in how CO works on a technical level.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    cyjonpwcyjonpw Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I noticed today it had something to do with range. I was using it to start combat so I had time to play with it and I realized that if I took a couple of steps forward it would work.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd consider it a long time bug though, since I had an Inferno I ran to level 40 and never had this happen even once. Of course maybe I was just lucky.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This may be a related problem, but when I used Gatling Gun none of the damage is displayed at all. Probably from there being too many numbers going on at a time.
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    The problem is that the UI and the game itself use two different bits of code to determine if you're in range of a 'summon ranged entity to deal damage' power (like Conflag, Lightning Storm, Avalanche, etc). And they absolutely do not agree with each other. At all.

It's a broken mess.

Case in point - let's use a Mega-D.

The UI itself thinks you're in range if ANY part of the target's bounding box is within range of your power.

The game thinks you're in range ONLY if you're within range of the power at the TARGET'S FEET, dead center.

This generally isn't a problem in CO, as most mobs are only 7 or so feet tall. It's 'close enough' and you generally don't notice it, unless you attack at the extreme edge of your power's distance.

Against something that's 70ft tall however, this requires you to either fight from ground level if you want some distance, or get right into its face if you want to attack from high off the ground.

Again, this is only a problem with ranged powers that summon an entity that deals damage above a target (Conflaguration, Lightning Storm, Avalanche, etc). And has been broken for a very long time now.

For another example - go find a chair in Ren Cen (or any object period). Move to exactly 50ft away (the moment the UI icon lights up). You can use your EB, Fireball, Lightning Arc, whatever just fine. But try to use Avalanche, Conflag, etc, and you'll notice that while you do the animation, and your energy is drained, it doesn't actually work as you're just out of range.

Yet another long time bug in how CO works on a technical level.

This can't be the problem in my case; the range at which I'm using the offending attacks is close, and occasionally point-blank.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    cerebellumcerebellum Posts: 74
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I have had a couple problems with Rebuke recently (Radiant AT), and sometimes it will hit, other times nothing. Sometimes even my AoE(forgot the name, first power your actually earn through lvl ups) won't do anything either. Not sure why either.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And if a bench gets between you and the target, there is a possibility that you still keep the maintain on but don't do any damage.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah having this issue with my Tempest and Impulse. Sometimes my attacks dont hit at all even when my 100ft Gigabolt/FC is within 50ft of target at least.

I also noticed control effects aren't activating on time.

Telepathic damage such as Ego Sprites has a very lagged response, control effect such as Ego Sleep, Vengance's Paralyze and alot of stuns on NPCs in particular are activating very late. It's almost as if the NPC has to remember that they are meant to be under a control effect.

This issue however I am only experiencing on LIVE. On the PTS there is no issue, not even in the invasion situation.

It does make gameplay a little irritating.

I also noticed that I randomly take damage whilst flying in and around MC.

For example I logged on as my Mind AT recently and took 5,089hp damage from an "unknown power" and I was left with 1hp and I was unable to heal.:confused:
  • Options
    hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Bumping this because it seems relevant again. I have nothing to add other I think it's actually my crappy laptop that's the problem because I don't seem to experience this on my desktop. Still, I'm not actually lagging or anything, it's just there's no damage that's being registered despite hits obviously connecting since buffs like Avenger Mastery are being triggered.