What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Inter-Champions Copyright infringments.

2»

Comments

• cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    adocalypse wrote: »
    Well surprise,surprise COX is shutdown anyway maybe the people getting people name & character costumes erased had something to do w/it.

No, a game doesn't run for 8+ years and still show a profit in a F2P market unless people are playing it. Having your clones deleted had nothing to do with CoH shutting down.
    hope they don't bring that snitching crap here we played fine all these years w/out it.

Reporting clones has been part of CO since release. So no you haven't played fine without it.
    On a furter note i'ma do me & play my account like i want no matter who likes it.:biggrin:.

Sure up to the point that Cryptic bans you for violating the TOS. If you honestly think you won't get banned for making clones... Well good luck with that.
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think he meant that there was no snitching in City of Heroes.

Prepare to have your clones reset, your account suspended, your account banned and possibly an IP ban as you persist. You don't have to like the rules, but you do have to follow them if you want to continue to connect to a server.
    edited September 2012
    I think he meant that there was no snitching in City of Heroes.

If so then he's even more clueless then he sounds. Back in CoH I remember there being a flame war at least once a month about clones being reported and deleted.

I know that clones being reported happens all the time here. But it seems to be brought up on the boards a lot less often.
  • steamshinobisteamshinobi Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Because no one deserves to have his company's creative works stolen, especially not by its customers.

NO NO NO i understand D: i was trying to explain as i said in my other thread german is my first language im slow with english i am sorry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]~The Hive man
    edited September 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I have a simple rule of thumb on this. If you simply don't care about what you write. I simply wont care to read it.

So, end the end. When you type gibberish like the OP, you are really just wasting your time.

Ok sock me and you appear to have gotten off on the wrong foot and im sorry for that. The only real punctuation i understand how to use is the period so yeah. i mean i have an idea of how to use the , but i dont want to put them every were and look weird i mean i know i look stupid with out any at all but i dont like being made fun of so yeah. sorry
  • adocalypseadocalypse Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well i've been here since 09 & haven't been deleted or banned & i don't make clones,so.I don't know what ur talking about.I'm just saying that when people make clones it has never hurt my play.It's 2 bad & not my fault ur all crybabies over something that doesn't belong to u & i'm speaking of the game & others accounts u don't like it fine.THIS iS MY OPINION so that means it's neither right or wrong so troll somewhere esle kids:wink:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Your opinion is wrong.

We have explained several times why your opinion is wrong.

It's really too bad you can't be bothered to read any of those many, many explanations.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Your opinion is wrong.

We have explained several times why your opinion is wrong.

It's really too bad you can't be bothered to read any of those many, many explanations.

Ok im not even speaking to you anymore you seriously have no place here. I am however speaking to people with logic if you are so ignorant to not see that i admit my opinion is wrong then.....whatever, i was pointing out HOW i saw it not how i see it now.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok im not even speaking to you anymore you seriously have no place here. I am however speaking to people with logic if you are so ignorant to not see that i admit my opinion is wrong then.....whatever, i was pointing out HOW i saw it not how i see it now.

He wasn't responding to you.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    When you agree to the ToS, you agree to *not* make clones of any trademarked/copyrighted characters. It is the person that willfully and knowingly infringed in making their clone character that is at fault, not the person reporting said offender. To call such people "snitches" is grade-school immaturity at best. And let's make one thing absolutely clear - making clone characters is tad amount to egging on Marvel/Disney or other comics IP owners to sue Cryptic...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Jonsills has likely replied not to you, but to this:
    Well i've been here since 09 & haven't been deleted or banned & i don't make clones,so.I don't know what ur talking about.I'm just saying that when people make clones it has never hurt my play.It's 2 bad & not my fault ur all crybabies over something that doesn't belong to u & i'm speaking of the game & others accounts u don't like it fine.THIS iS MY OPINION so that means it's neither right or wrong so troll somewhere esle kids:wink:
    edited September 2012
    You are correct, Rokuro - I was referring to adocalypse's statement, which is objectively incorrect. Seems like we go through this dance about once a month or so, with someone claiming that it's somehow their "right" to make trademark-infringing characters, even though in order to even play this game they had to indicate they'd read the Terms of Service that say not to do that.

Then we always have to tell them they're wrong, explain why they're wrong, explain how the restriction came to be... and a month or so later, it's all to do over again, just like washing the dishes.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    To those people who say it has to be ok or they wouldn't give us the tools to do it I have the following counterpoints.
    1. It's legal to own personal handguns in many states in America, it's not legal to go on a random shooting spree even though I legally own the handgun to do it with.
    2. It's legal for me to drive a car, it's not legal for me to drive whilst randomly hitting people with the car even though the car can be used to do that.
    3. Nearly every kitchen includes a set of sharp knifes used to cut meat, it's not legal for me to cut people with these knifes even though they can be used for that.
    4. There are legal programs (ie. downloaders, wireless key extractors) that can be used to aquire copyrighted materials or illeagally access private networks, but this is illegal.
    5. Emulation software/hardware is legal, using it to run copyrighted programs isn't.
    edited September 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    To those people who say it has to be ok or they wouldn't give us the tools to do it I have the following counterpoints.
    1. It's legal to own personal handguns in many states in America, it's not legal to go on a random shooting spree even though I legally own the handgun to do it with.
    2. It's legal for me to drive a car, it's not legal for me to drive whilst randomly hitting people with the car even though the car can be used to do that.
    3. Nearly every kitchen includes a set of sharp knifes used to cut meat, it's not legal for me to cut people with these knifes even though they can be used for that.
    4. There are legal programs (ie. downloaders, wireless key extractors) that can be used to aquire copyrighted materials or illeagally access private networks, but this is illegal.
    5. Emulation software/hardware is legal, using it to run copyrighted programs isn't.

Yeah i know all that i just want to see peoples opinions on the subject i think i typed it early on in here but it resolved with get trolled A.S.A.P, So yeah. But on a side note an opinion can not be wrong it is impossible it is possible for a opinion to be misguided. And i do love the points you post that was some of the amazing debating skills i was looking to find :). I like to see things from everyone's point of view so when it happens in real life i know what to do, sort of thing if you understand it. The comparisons really help me put it into perspective :) thanks.
    edited September 2012
    Ah on a side not i just remembered, in DCUO (Detective Comics Universe Online) i believe the name is, you can acquire lets say:Batman's cape,cowl,entire uniform pretty much and that would make you equal to a clone but why would it be fine for DCUO and not CO? i just am requesting more information from the Socrates champions community.

(I tried to use punctuation please don't hate.)
    edited September 2012
    Ah on a side not i just remembered, in DCUO (Detective Comics Universe Online) i believe the name is, you can acquire lets say:Batman's cape,cowl,entire uniform pretty much and that would make you equal to a clone but why would it be fine for DCUO and not CO? i just am requesting more information from the Socrates champions community.

Because DCUO is actually made with the idea that player characters are copies of DC characters!
    It's part of the story: Brainiac stole the powers from heroes and villains of an alternate time line and replicated them. The alternate time line's Lex Luthor stole the "Exobytes" carrying these powers and unleashed them upon the DCUO world, empowering random people to fight Brainiac.
    So basically, you can't be the actual Superman or Wonder Women in this came, but you are pretty much required to play a clone of them - in the sense of Superboy and Wondergirl, that is.

Oh, btw: I wonder what our cloners here will say when Marvel Online comes out. This game is not going to have original characters at all! :rolleyes:
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok,
    1. names of major players in all MMOS I've played in have been banned. They are not meant to be players but someone worked with or against.

2. you have a huge selection of things you could make, why are you making copies? I have never understood all the players who get given a selection of peices to make an original character and instead just copy one because "they think it would be fun".

I have heard 2 people discussing their clones(name & look) of Dante in the PH, with one complaining that someone had gone into his account and wiped it. So he created a new one in a different colour. Obviously didn't get the hint.
    We have had someone in zone chat going on at length about having to change their female copy of batman including background. They got absolutely no sympathy from anyone.

The closest I have are;
    a wolfwere(yes thats the right way around) puppy because I wanted to see what completely furry looked like
    Felicity which is a copy of a PnP character of MINE, which since she normally wore jeans and a tshirt, wasn't hard. I'm up to 36 characters now(and boy am I getting some weirdos now)
    Even my soldier is in eye blinding pink fatigues.

3. I made a character Private Criptic(with an explanation of why), since this uses the company name(with my usual bad spelling). I immediately reported it myself and asked if it was ok. The answer being, as long as I am not pretending to be a dev or Gm, its ok. So I have in my social line for that one "NOT a GM or dev" This is called checking.
    If you want to make one, check before levelling it much. That way you don't lose much.

4. My favourite lateral thinking name is Major Nerf.

As for punctuation the commas ", " go anywhere you pause in a sentence. My first language is english and I still fail at punctuation,well, that and ie ei spelling
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    ... once a month or so...just like washing the dishes.

I laughed out loud at that.

edited September 2012

DCUO and CO are two separate entities. They both represent private property. Kind of like your home. You get to set the rules on your property and they get to set the rules on theirs. This is a very basic right.

Cryptic has decided, as property owners, to not allow certain things on their private property. The fact that DCUO allows something similar on their property is irrelevant because DCUO does not own Cryptic or CO.

There are people out in the world that permit others to do things on their property that you would most likely be opposed to being done on yours. Does that mean that you should be required to allow people to do things you hate or are opposed to just because someone else allows it ?

• adocalypseadocalypse Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ha,well if i am wrong inorance is bliss.I care more About a said clones build & playing skills then how he looks.U nerds need to grow up & move outta moms basement.Come join me in the real world.Then maybe you wouldn't care about a virtual world so much.Lets get outside enjoy that air,make some friends you can actually interact with give it a try.:biggrin:
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ignorance of the law has never been accepted in court.

I care about people obeying rules, which are there for a reason.

As for the standard retort "get out in the real world, stop worrying so much about a virtual one". I notice that it gets used by people who are of the opinion that rules do not aply to them and find out that no one agrees with them.

Is this how you behave in "the real world"?

I moved out over 15 years ago.

Mind you, I have been a member of a gaming club for over 20 years, where I get to interact with real people. I am also in several other groups, not related to gaming.

You will find most of the people here are adults, who are working, studying and in some cases raising families(or a combination thereof, in at least 2 cases that I know).

*rereads post*hmm, that's rather rude. Too bad. I am getting sick of people like this, We had someone like this on our cat organisations committee, we eventually managed to kick them out. Now the other registering body is having the same problems with them.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited September 2012
    Ha,well if i am wrong inorance is bliss.I care more About a said clones build & playing skills then how he looks.U nerds need to grow up & move outta moms basement.Come join me in the real world.Then maybe you wouldn't care about a virtual world so much.Lets get outside enjoy that air,make some friends you can actually interact with give it a try.:biggrin:

^Last resort tactic: Throwing unrelated insults around.
    He's either realizing that he can't win and is now trying to start a flame war instead... or he actually thinks this is going to change our minds. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2012
    ^Last resort tactic: Throwing unrelated insults around.
    He's either realizing that he can't win and is now trying to start a flame war instead... or he actually thinks this is going to change our minds. :rolleyes:
    It's called trolling. He's hoping we'll be insecure enough in our lives to rise to his bait, to try to "prove" our essential maturity. (Which, ironically enough, tends to disprove it more...)

On Peter David's blog, he doesn't like banning people; instead, when someone grows tiresome, he borrows a method from an old episode of The Paper Chase, when the professor placed a shroud over a troublesome student and proceeded to ignore him from then on.

I believe it's time to shroud this one, before you give him any more of your precious time. After all, we've an imaginary city to save - and it looks like Destroyer's back!

edited September 2012

In the real world people who take someone else's property and use it against their wishes face legal ramifications.

In the real world adults don't, or shouldn't, go onto someone else's property and whine about having to follow the house rules.

In the real world the individual whining that he should be able to do what he wishes with someone else's property, the equivalent of a two year old child's, "I want I want I want," tantrum is the one who needs to grow up.

In the real world if you want to be able to do what you want with something you buy it. Come on, pony up 70-90 million dollars and I expect that PWE would be delighted to sell Cryptic (or perhaps just CO) to you.

For what its worth, I dont, "care about a virtual world too much." I do care about the rights of property owners. You should too. In the real world such matters are much more important than wanting to make a clone of a trademarked character.

You might want to consider that one crying because someone else wont let him play with their toys, "mommy she won't let me play with her Barbie !" really has no room to tell others to grow up.

But on a side note an opinion can not be wrong it is impossible it is possible for a opinion to be misguided.

In my niece's opinion Santa Claus lives at the north pole and flies around in a sleigh to deliver toys to children on Christmas eve.

In her opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating ice cream for every meal.

In the opinion of some (though not at all a universal belief as is often represented) people living in the middle ages the earth was flat.

In the opinion of some, dinosaurs co-existed with humanity and Noah transported two of each species on a water craft with an internal volume smaller than the minimum volume of animal flesh represented by the number of species involved.

In the opinion of some, persons of color are genetically inferior to caucasians.

In the opinion of some, the earth is the center of the universe.

And so on.

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with your point that an opinion cannot be wrong.

edited September 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    I'm afraid that I have to disagree with your point that an opinion cannot be wrong.

None of the things you list are actually opinions. Those are all beliefs, which are not the same thing.

A belief can be right or wrong, an opinion by definition can not be proven either way, because it's a matter of subjective taste and not subject to proof.

Then again most of the times when people state things like what you were responding to, they're using the term opinion incorrectly as well, and quite often do so because then they believe that they won't have to provide any proof of their statement.

In my opinion CO is better then CoX.
    In my opinion peperoni is the best pizza topping.
    In my opinion people with long hair should get a haircut.
    In my opinion Cryptic should allow us to make clones.

Now I'm not saying all those things are actually true for me but they're all examples of opinions.

The earth being flat was not an opinion, it was a statement of belief and/or accepted fact. Because it is something that could be proven true or false, it can not be an opinion. Same goes for all your examples.

Likewise, a statement like "In my opinion there's nothing wrong with clones" is a matter of opinion, however "Cryptic can't do anything to me if I make a clone" is not.

In this case, the OP was asking for peoples opinions about making clones. To a large point, our opinion on the matter is meaningless. Because the rules about such a thing are both clear and enforced. If I feel clones should be allowed, that's a matter of opinion, but my opinion doesn't change the fact that such a thing isn't allowed.
    edited September 2012

heh... here you go with the "nerd" stereotype... I think it's clear now why you make such a silly suggestion about clones in the first place and why you're so adamant about copying.

As long as I'm playing this game I care about being able to play. If I didn't truly want to continue playing, I'd do things that might prevent myself and other people from playing. When I'm done with this game I'll join you... in the desert of the real. You play me there you'll lose there too. ^_^

Speaking of ignorance, a 'nerd' is someone who looks/acts geeky and is very smart, intelligent, and/or knowledgeable. What kind of society is this when it's not cool to be intelligent? Why is it offensive not to be average? :) All this time you spend complaining you could spend either playing Champions Online or making some more Hamiltons and taking your illustrious wife out on another date. Maybe you can form your own video game company and be its lead designer. :P

Do yourself a favor and give up or play a different game. Players don't want you to be stealing their ideas, and Cryptic, Marvel, DC Comics, et. al. don't want that either. You are not the head of those organizations, so you don't get to write the rules... and I seriously doubt Cryptic is going to start allowing clones since they hardly even change the game, how much less are they going to change their core rules?
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    None of the things you list are actually opinions. Those are all beliefs, which are not the same thing.

According to Oxford, Cambridge, Webster's, and Dictionary.com an opinion is a belief. All of the examples I provided fit the definition of opinion.

edited September 2012
    That's because the people who write dictionaries are naughty little campers. cptvanor has the right idea.
    edited September 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    All of the examples I provided fit the definition of opinion.

And they will all also say that an opinion is something that can't be proven false. An opinion is not subject to proof, that's the very nature of an opinion. Opinions are statements of subjective values and beliefs.

I can not say "In my opinion that color is black" when it is actually white. Well I could, but it would still be an incorrect statement.

Nothing you listed in your post was actually an opinion, there were all statements that could be examined in an objective light, and be proven true or false.

For example the idea that some people think non-Caucasians are genetically inferior to Caucasians, that is something that can be proven true or false. When the proof is provided it is no longer a statement of opinion, it is either a correct or incorrect statement.

There was a time when a lot of people believed that to be a correct statement, but it was never really a matter of opinion. Same goes with the earth is flat, or it being ok to have ice cream with every meal. These are all issues that can be looked at objectively and proved to be true or false.

A statement like "I dislike the color mauve" or "I love sausage on my pizza" are not statements that can be proven true or false, because they are completely subjective.

I can also say that I think clones are ok, and have it be a statement of opinion, because it is my opinion that such a thing is acceptable, because I personally don't have a problem with them. This is not an issue that is subject to proof, because I am stating my subjective feelings/beliefs/opinion on the matter.

My opinion doesn't change reality in any way, the fact that I find clones acceptable doesn't mean that people who make them won't have action taken against them. This is just as true as if I said it's my opinion that the speed limit should be 85. The fact that I think so doesn't change the speed limit, and doesn't stop me from getting a ticket.

But it is still very much a matter of opinion and is not something that can be proven wrong.
    edited September 2012
    I feel as if i am being confused with adocalypse if i am please not i am not the brightest person but not that errr on his level.