• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,086 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Oh and yes I am back on the PTS and I do love, the Mind Break animation :DD

Looks fantastic:biggrin:
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bugs: The advantage triggers when the base absorption is broken, not the total after all buffs to the shield. Thereby allowing Compassion + MR to give the player the ability to infinitely cast the power without the bubble ever actually breaking on the target, as its energy return is greater than the cost of the power with int + cost discount gear.

The bubbles really need to have a bionic shielding style debuff to prevent them from being spammed on a target indefinitely, it's entirely overpowered and renders all other defenses and heals practically worthless.

I thank you for this bug. I don't use compassion much. I also agree with you on putting limiting factors on it. I am still a fan of limiting the damage types (and lowering poison's extremity) and perhaps removing the debuff from bionic shielding but make the heal only work with elemental damage?

IDK it's an unmitigated buff. I don't like unmitigated buffs. We should keep the ideas coming till a good one comes.
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Lets see, did some cape testing....

1.) I love the physics for the tp. It seems nicely responsive, and fun for yet another travel power. I do wish it took a cue from Ice Slide and was faster with gravity than against...but I'm probably in the minority for that wish. I'd love if it was as fast as jet boots going down, and slowed to acro speeds on ascent.

3.) The loss of combat in glide mode is disappointing, and will probably lead to some frustration from the player base. I'd really prefer that the cape only last while the jump button is depressed (like Grappling) or that you pop up to default flight stance for combat (ala RAD sphere.) Consulting with GMC, it seems like the latter of these is unlikely.

I hadn't tested enought to notice these. I agree that it should be much faster as your downward angle increases, and much slower as your upward angle increases.

If combat is disabled, this power either needs something significant added to it to compensate or maybe it should simply be changed to a device.
    edited September 2012
    I would disagree with bionic style debuff, that is one of the things which ruins that power, but I see the need for balancing. If bubbles actually absorbed all damage including fall damage, then I could understand a 3 second debuff to bubble generation on self/ target, but as it stands, bubbles are fine, they can be easily put up for momentary defense and can just as easily be brought down...putting a debuff to usage on bubble would be like putting a cooldown on a power like Dragon's Wrath..it makes no sense...a thread was already made about this and it sort of got shot down xP

It doesn't ruin that power at all, bionic shielding heals for a total of 2,000+ every 15 seconds. That's without presence or compassion, with ~500pre and compassion it heals for over 10,000 total easily every 15 seconds.

As for the shields, there's really no argument here, they're overpowered.

Proofings:

MR with 8 stacks of compassion, note the energy costs for these, that's important.

PF with the same.

The two combined, note the shield strength on my healthbar.

The energy return I get when MR takes ~2000 damage.

87 energy. That's more than enough to cast both bubbles again. Using mindful reinforcement literally gives me a full energy bar every time whatever i put it on takes ~2000 damage.

They need to have their strength increased significantly but at the cost of having a 10 or 15 second debuff on the target preventing them from being bubbled. This includes getting rid of "double bubbling".

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    tomquantumtomquantum Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Limiting the shields to only protect against specific damage types is a horrible idea.

Limiting Bionic Shielding to only trigger from certain damage types is even worse.

Why not just delete the Inventor from the game?

Also, it's the only tech heal in the game.

But lets forget about all that and just shut our eyes and swing the nerf bat as hard as we can without even aiming for the real issues in the game.
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It doesn't ruin that power at all, bionic shielding heals for a total of 2,000+ every 15 seconds. That's without presence or compassion, with ~500pre and compassion it heals for over 10,000 total easily every 15 seconds.

As for the shields, there's really no argument here, they're overpowered.

Proofings:

MR with 8 stacks of compassion, note the energy costs for these, that's important.

PF with the same.

The two combined, note the shield strength on my healthbar.

The energy return I get when MR takes ~2000 damage.

87 energy. That's more than enough to cast both bubbles again. Using mindful reinforcement literally gives me a full energy bar every time whatever i put it on takes ~2000 damage.

They need to have their strength increased significantly but at the cost of having a 10 or 15 second debuff on the target preventing them from being bubbled. This includes getting rid of "double bubbling".

Yeah, double bubble 12k shields, One of the main components of PvP FOTMs...along with Imbue are totally not overpowered....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    tomquantum wrote: »
    Limiting the shields to only protect against specific damage types is a horrible idea.

Limiting Bionic Shielding to only trigger from certain damage types is even worse.

Why not just delete the Inventor from the game?

Also, it's the only tech heal in the game.

But lets forget about all that and just shut our eyes and swing the nerf bat as hard as we can without even aiming for the real issues in the game.

Only tech heal? What about Medical Nanites? :tongue:
    I think Ressurection serum counts as a heal too, technically speaking.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Only tech heal? What about Medical Nanites? :tongue:
    I think Ressurection serum counts as a heal too, technically speaking.

Medical nanites is a passive and Serum is a res power.

Bionic is the only tech heal in the game.

A healer who doesn't want to be magic or psychic has nothing else.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Also, hooray for ignoring the elephant in the room.

Clearly the issue is every power in the game expect AoPM.

Leave AoPM alone but nerf everything else please!

This is the best solution.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I think I've said more than my piece about AoPM....
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Try making an unlimited bubble build that can also dish out damage without AoPM.

It doesn't work. You won't be spamming Force Cascade.

Is anyone really upset that a dedicated healer can spam bubbles? No. They could just as easily spam a maintained heal and the health bar of their healed target will stay topped off forever.

People are upset that extremely offensive characters can push heavy damage numbers and still spam bubbles.

AoPM
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Try making an unlimited bubble build that can also dish out damage without AoPM.

Is anyone really upset that a dedicated healer can spam bubbles? No. They could just as easily spam a maintained heal and the health bar of their healed target will stay topped off forever.

People are upset that extremely offensive characters can push heavy damage numbers and still spam bubbles.

AoPM

You must've missed the week they nerfed AoPM's effectiveness in hybrid by 50%. The flooding from all the tears almost drowned everyone. It was hilarious to watch from my AoPM free plateau.

I'd rather actually be required to heal my group than just push instant invincibility buttons with a .5 second cooldown that refill my energy bar to boot. Shields should have to be used tactically, not as a permanent health buffer that makes your group or self never take any damage.

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I agree with you that at this point limiting damage types is a horrible idea.

I generally support the no instant recast idea. 6 second intervals makes fights much more strategic.

AoPM

I can generally agree with this but even on healer toons.. double bubbling is extremely powerful. Cast on self or on teams.

I would still love AoPM if it performed similar to INT mastery.
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Lets see, did some cape testing....

I love the physics for the tp. It seems nicely responsive, and fun for yet another travel power. I do wish it took a cue from Ice Slide and was faster with gravity than against...but I'm probably in the minority for that wish. I'd love if it was as fast as jet boots going down, and slowed to acro speeds on ascent.

I'd personally love to see Ice Slide mechanics with the new glide animation.. Just use Ice Slide exactly as it is now, it's feel is perfect for "Gliding" as is it's speed.

And you can fight with it on.....
    The loss of combat in glide mode is disappointing, and will probably lead to some frustration from the player base. I'd really prefer that the cape only last while the jump button is depressed (like Grappling) or that you pop up to default flight stance for combat (ala RAD sphere.) Consulting with GMC, it seems like the latter of these is unlikely..
    If combat is disabled, this power either needs something significant added to it to compensate or maybe it should simply be changed to a device.

No kidding. Count me as frustrated.

I thought it was great looking at first blush, just needing some cleanup work done to various Cape Textures when active, and possibly a "no cape when used on a costume without one", just like Jet Pack flight so those arm wing costumes can get some use with it.

Then I got into the power training rooms with dummies and foes.

No combat or power use allowed and no compensating effect is a deal breaker for me. If this power is going to cost us money or Zen, AND have in-game equivalent cost to use as other travel powers, than it needs to have combat active, or some strong compensating effect or I'll never, ever want it.

Bat Flight gets a pass on this issue since it is earned with in game currency, and is essentially a freebie gained for playing the game over time. And I still won't actually take it on a single alt.

In the old Champions Pen & Paper game, Glide was cheaper than Flight, and inherently silent [subtle advantage] built in, but of course much less useful. Going with that concept, and reinforcing it's use with Night-Warrior, it could have built-in stealth effects when used.

My own suggestions? [Besides cape texture stretch cleanup and and a no cape costume mode like the no jet pack costume mode.]

I'd prefer to enable combat with standard flight stance positioning on characters in Glide mode, just as Ice Slide characters use standard standing positions. Even if it is harder to control, it works for Ice Slide, so why not for Cape Glide?

Maybe a two point advantage for "Silent Gliding" which enables stealth mode when out of combat and gliding free for something like ten seconds, the same amount of time as it takes to "gear up" the movement rate.

I am not opposed to the idea of it working like Grappling Line with a weaker acrobatics effect on the ground, and "Glide Mode" with no combat allowed from mid air while the jump button is held [but not just tapped, HELD], as that would be pretty useful at least to be able to drop down and fight on the ground at least.
  • Options
    solunitussolunitus Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's up.

Cape Glide's pretty cool, but if your cape is anything but flat colors it gets horribly stretched.

Man, I want to complain about it SO much, but the first response will be that it's still WIP.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So, I'm concerned about Cape Glide.

It seems that nobody played a Batman game ever?

I dont understand this implementation. It seems to be headed toward a weird, gimped, flight power. That's really not in the spirit of what a cape glide is. This is something I've been wanting forever and I think I'm going to quit CO if you guys go the easy route.

That's not a threat. I know nobody will care if I leave, but I will. I would like to LOVE this game, but every time something is released, it's a shadow of it's potential.

That said, and with the knowledge that it's a work in progress, I'd like to offer these suggestions:

Do not make it a flight based power. Make it based on acrobatics.

Do not allow any kind of gain of altitude. No thrust. This is gliding, which is a slow, guided fall.

Do not force a costume part (the glider). There are many costume pieces that would look great with the pose used for gliding (the steelhawk wings, dragon wings, etc.).

Try this. Make it slower acrobatics, but pressing jump in the air initiates a very slow fall with increased speed and glide pose for as long as you hold jump (hitting the ground deactivates it too). This will allow you to cover lots of ground, but still require you to use it from a good height.

Increased ranks improve the speed and the time you can stay aloft (decreases fall speed).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »
    I agree with you that at this point limiting damage types is a horrible idea.

I generally support the no instant recast idea. 6 second intervals makes fights much more strategic.

I can generally agree with this but even on healer toons.. double bubbling is extremely powerful. Cast on self or on teams.

I would still love AoPM if it performed similar to INT mastery.

I have less of a problem with a cooldown (or player debuff cooldown) on bubbles than I do on Bionic Shielding.

I guess I'm OK with Bionic as it is currently, but trying to main-heal as a tech support character with BS and nanites sucks. It is hard mode.

It doesn't need to be any harder!
  • Options
    manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am actually glad cape glide doesn't work in combat when active, I really have a tough time seeing how one could fight whilst having his or her cape spread out, and if you fold you cape back up to fight one would just fall out of the sky, so it would be just like turning it of anyway.

I really hope they keep the current way it works as it feels really comfortable to use, all it needs is tweaks in appearence (which I hope we see some updates on soon).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I have less of a problem with a cooldown (or player debuff cooldown) on bubbles than I do on Bionic Shielding.

I guess I'm OK with Bionic as it is currently, but trying to main-heal as a tech support character with BS and nanites sucks. It is hard mode.

It doesn't need to be any harder!

You know, protection field is very much viable for a tech toon. Just because the tooltip says it's a force power doesn't mean you can't have a piece of tech creating that force bubble. Drones help too.

As for "The Inventor" archetype... They're gimped on purpose to make you want to buy into freeform.

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am actually glad cape glide doesn't work in combat when active,

What about a Teleport Style slow fall when you attack with Cape Glide?
    I also think Cape Glide should be faster when descending.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    elisendaelisenda Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bug -- Cape Glide Clipping while swimming

What Happens -- While swimming (in Lemuria), the legs up to the knees clip through the cape with every kick.
  • Options
    benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I also was hoping cape glide would function similar to swinging. In its current form it just feels stiff and bland.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Cape glide is cool. Useless but cool.
    But i wish lightspeed and blazing speed with the new arms animations than a new TPs.
    As you have done for superspeed, acrobatics and distorsion.
    I don't know why you don't have give this arms animation for these last two Tp powers at the same time you had given the others...
  • Options
    magemighty1magemighty1 Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    solunitus wrote: »
    So, I'm concerned about Cape Glide.

It seems that nobody played a Batman game ever?

I dont understand this implementation. It seems to be headed toward a weird, gimped, flight power. That's really not in the spirit of what a cape glide is. This is something I've been wanting forever and I think I'm going to quit CO if you guys go the easy route.

That's not a threat. I know nobody will care if I leave, but I will. I would like to LOVE this game, but every time something is released, it's a shadow of it's potential.

That said, and with the knowledge that it's a work in progress, I'd like to offer these suggestions:

Do not make it a flight based power. Make it based on acrobatics.

Do not allow any kind of gain of altitude. No thrust. This is gliding, which is a slow, guided fall.

Do not force a costume part (the glider). There are many costume pieces that would look great with the pose used for gliding (the steelhawk wings, dragon wings, etc.).

Try this. Make it slower acrobatics, but pressing jump in the air initiates a very slow fall with increased speed and glide pose for as long as you hold jump (hitting the ground deactivates it too). This will allow you to cover lots of ground, but still require you to use it from a good height.

Increased ranks improve the speed and the time you can stay aloft (decreases fall speed).

I don't agree with this, I would prefer if it were like arkham city's glide where you can begin a dive then pull up for speed and height but otherwise I like this implementation

My main character is Blackflight
  • Options
    bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    WHY NOT LITTLE BIT SLOWER ACROBATICS WITH GLIDING???? :confused:

Ups capslock
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I don't agree with this, I would prefer if it were like arkham city's glide where you can begin a dive then pull up for speed and height but otherwise I like this implementation

Ideally, I would too, but I'm trying to not ask for too much. My suggestion uses things they can and already do.

I don't think there's anything in place that works like Arkham City's.
  • Options
    silviumcsilviumc Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Can someone please take pics/videos of the new Telepathy powers?
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ideally, I would too, but I'm trying to not ask for too much. My suggestion uses things they can and already do.

ice slide.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    silviumc wrote: »
    Can someone please take pics/videos of the new Telepathy powers?

There isn't much to see, it's all a mess of jumbled placeholders and effects from powers already in the set.

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    magemighty1magemighty1 Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2012

suppose, but cape glide would be rendered relatively irrelevant if it couldn't ascend and needed to get to a high point to use it effectively

My main character is Blackflight
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    suppose, but cape glide would be rendered relatively irrelevant if it couldn't ascend and needed to get to a high point to use it effectively

Exactly, I love how people state cape glide is useless now and then they suggest a different way to implement it which would actually make it even more useless!

Just tap your travel power button to turn it on and off whilst in combat and bingo!:eek:
  • Options
    reinweibritterreinweibritter Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ice slide.

Ice Slide is the worst travel power in the game.

The less anything is like Ice Slide, the better.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    iamrune wrote: »
    I'd personally love to see Ice Slide mechanics with the new glide animation.. Just use Ice Slide exactly as it is now, it's feel is perfect for "Gliding" as is it's speed.

And you can fight with it on.....

No kidding. Count me as frustrated.

I thought it was great looking at first blush, just needing some cleanup work done to various Cape Textures when active, and possibly a "no cape when used on a costume without one", just like Jet Pack flight so those arm wing costumes can get some use with it.

Then I got into the power training rooms with dummies and foes.

No combat or power use allowed and no compensating effect is a deal breaker for me. If this power is going to cost us money or Zen, AND have in-game equivalent cost to use as other travel powers, than it needs to have combat active, or some strong compensating effect or I'll never, ever want it.

Bat Flight gets a pass on this issue since it is earned with in game currency, and is essentially a freebie gained for playing the game over time. And I still won't actually take it on a single alt.

In the old Champions Pen & Paper game, Glide was cheaper than Flight, and inherently silent [subtle advantage] built in, but of course much less useful. Going with that concept, and reinforcing it's use with Night-Warrior, it could have built-in stealth effects when used.

My own suggestions? [Besides cape texture stretch cleanup and and a no cape costume mode like the no jet pack costume mode.]

I'd prefer to enable combat with standard flight stance positioning on characters in Glide mode, just as Ice Slide characters use standard standing positions. Even if it is harder to control, it works for Ice Slide, so why not for Cape Glide?

Maybe a two point advantage for "Silent Gliding" which enables stealth mode when out of combat and gliding free for something like ten seconds, the same amount of time as it takes to "gear up" the movement rate.

Nice idea for those who wont have nightwarrior passive, but just like Silent Running it should be a 1 point advantage if it's only for 10 seconds..

I am not opposed to the idea of it working like Grappling Line with a weaker acrobatics effect on the ground, and "Glide Mode" with no combat allowed from mid air while the jump button is held [but not just tapped, HELD], as that would be pretty useful at least to be able to drop down and fight on the ground at least.

You can use Conviction and Imbue whilst gliding however xP
  • Options
    edited September 2012

LOL so true..Just a continual nose dive/low speed flight into the ground :biggrin:

Perhaps if it came with Swinging decent Jump buff but a little higher?

Or enabled a double jump/ jump boost to reach a ledge or something or in mid air to get higher..

But I do like it's current design with the being able to glide up by riding the currents of hot air :tongue:

Obviously needs to have a slow fall if you stop gliding in the air so you cant stay still in the air perhaps x2 slower than the gravity loss fall speed in Moon Base?

It also needs to perhaps fold in during combat once it allows for combat?

Perhaps if it produces a different animation (Heroic Flight hands in front animation pls :D) for players without capes instead of auto cape-ing them.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    When it comes to cape glide, well let me put it this way, I think "travel" powers should be meant for "travelling", having it combat friendly should be taken as a bonus. Sacrificing the travel aspect of a travel power just so it can maybe do a little better in combat is just both asinine and ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Then pick fly!

Not everything needs to be fly! We have eighteen travel powers that grant flight in one form or another, do we really need another one?

Gliding is not flying. It's controlled falling. If they could work in a mechanic where you could gain some altitude by means of air currents (or whatever), that'd be cool. But this shouldn't just be some fly reskin.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    When it comes to cape glide, well let me put it this way, I think "travel" powers should be meant for "travelling", having it combat friendly should be taken as a bonus. Sacrificing the travel aspect of a travel power just so it can maybe do a little better in combat is just both asinine and ridiculous.

I agree, and all the complaints about it being unfair is bunk. I mean, not every travel power has the same utility, and pretty much any non-flight/teleport TP is at a disadvantage.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Exactly, I love how people state cape glide is useless now and then they suggest a different way to implement it which would actually make it even more useless!

Just tap your travel power button to turn it on and off whilst in combat and bingo!:eek:

Cape glide is useless because it is not cape glide. It's cape flight. Just like ice slide isn't ice slide, it's ice surfboard fly.

My suggestion would be acrobatics that allows you to cover more area in the air. Like when Batman glides....with his cape.