test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lifetime Membership?

timmo1988timmo1988 Posts: 13 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Alright, I'm an Altaholic and I also like the idea of being able to make freeforms. As a Silver, my only option is to buy a Freeform Slot that costs $50. Knowing that I'm an Altaholic, chances are I may wind up buying more than just one of the Freeform Slots if I take that route. I have subscribed before, so I'm an ex-Gold Member and have a rough idea of what to expect.

However, I was wondering if any Lifetime Membership buyers can tell me if it's worth it, based on their own experience.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    timmo1988 wrote: »
    Alright, I'm an Altaholic and I also like the idea of being able to make freeforms. As a Silver, my only option is to buy a Freeform Slot that costs $50. Knowing that I'm an Altaholic, chances are I may wind up buying more than just one of the Freeform Slots if I take that route. I have subscribed before, so I'm an ex-Gold Member and have a rough idea of what to expect.

However, I was wondering if any Lifetime Membership buyers can tell me if it's worth it, based on their own experience.

Yes, 500 Zen a month stipend, every time you get a character to 40 you get a new, free character slot, specific gold features, access tot he VIP lounge, veteran rewards every 100 days up to 1000 days played, etc etc etc.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It depends on where you live and whether or not you play the game often.

I personally don't think the lifetime sub is worth the price, especially if you are in one of the regions that could be affected by the region ban. If you are in one of those regions I would hold off til we have some solid information
    edited September 2012
    draogn wrote: »
    It depends on where you live and whether or not you play the game often.

I personally don't think the lifetime sub is worth the price, especially if you are in one of the regions that could be affected by the region ban. If you are in one of those regions I would hold off til we have some solid information

I doubt he would be posting if he was affected by the region ban.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I doubt he would be posting if he was affected by the region ban.

It is still worth noting in the event that he is from or might end up in one of those regions.
    edited September 2012
    draogn wrote: »
    It is still worth noting in the event that he is from or might end up in one of those regions.

Well, TrailTurtle has answered those people in those regions can still play, or should be able to, new people from those regions wouldn't even be able to make a PWE account.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    OP, yes i highly recommend lifetime. no monthly fees, no pressures, no time limits. you can relax play when/how/and howoften you want to. plus a total of 16 (8 basic, 8 bonus) character slots. plus getting free ones every time you cap. 500 zen stipend (basically same as getting five bucks a month lol). plus all the free gold unlocks.

do it man! ive never regretted my decision
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The big question is if the game will still be around in 20 months, and if you also will play it
    for 20 months. Else its better to simply go gold, even more since you may get a month gold
    sometimes for much less than 15$.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • timmo1988timmo1988 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm in the USA, more specifically California, I'm pretty sure Cryptic wont regionban someone in the same country they operate from, let alone the same state as their headquarters.

I play anywhere between 6 and 8 hours a day and considering that we're gearing up for the 3 Year Aniverssary of Champions Online, I highly doubt it'll close down anytime soon.

Only reason I'm asking is because I know that chances are I would have spent $300 on just freeform slots due to my Altholism.

Thanks for the replies though everyone.
    edited September 2012

Only reason I'm asking is because I know that chances are I would have spent $300 on just freeform slots due to my Altholism.

Buying slots is the worst idea of course. The decision is more to buy the LTA or just pay
    monthly 15$ or whatever. There also was recently a way to get 3 months for half the price
    i think .. don't know if you can still get that.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • bullthrottlebullthrottle Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I got mine before launch, and played the game solidly for 3 or 4 months; I've been back only occasionally since then (though with the demise of CoH that'll probably change).

Most people wouldn't think it was worth it based on that, but I'm happy with it - the game is always there for me to pick up and usually with a pile of points to spend. I have the same deal & playstyle with Lotro and I love that too, it's great for altaholics. :smile:
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm an alt-aholic adn I now have LTS.
    16 free slots.
    plus the ones you get from levelling to 40.
    plus the stipend
    plus not having to worry about the monthly subs.
    did I mention the 16 slots. I have 39 slots now and I'm only just into the 1-5 ratio for level 40's for alt-aholics.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I bought my LTS back in 2009. I don't regret it one bit. Heck, I bought GW2, played it for a few days, then came right back here to CO. I've definitely gotten my money's worth. The devs seen to be good at listening to the community, (overall - there will always be exceptions, of course).

The last thing I'll say for now is to examine the situation you're in and make sure that the $300 it costs is something you can truly afford. Also hold off a little bit just in case the 3rd Anniversary event includes a sale on the LTS, (not likely, but one can hope).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited September 2012
    chaelk wrote: »
    16 free slots.
    plus the stipend
    did I mention the 16 slots. I have 39 slots now and I'm only just into the 1-5 ratio for level 40's for alt-aholics.

You get a new slot every time you get a character to 40, not just one.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited September 2012
    chaelk wrote: »
    16 free slots.
    plus the stipend

Also you get a free retcon when a character hits 40, and you get account wide free retcons
    as veteran rewards at 100,400,500,600,700 and 800 days.

However you get most of that also for normal monthly subscribtion.

Here is a list of the Veteran Rewards :
    http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Veteran_Rewards
    R607qMf.jpg
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Given what you've said here and further down the thread, yes it is more than worth it for you as long as the game lasts another 2 years or so and you're still enjoying it by then.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Eh, I think you're way better off just ... subscribing.

You don't have to take a huge initial hit, and you can get a month's subscription for $10 a month (possibly lower, depending) from gamecards.

At the VERY least, I'd subscribe for 5 months to see if you like it -- that's the cost of a single FF slot, and Gold gives you a slew of FF slots. Plus, a freeform character under Gold does 'more' than a freeform slot under Silver (power emanations and coloring, for example).

(Personally, while I like freeform, I'm content with Silver. If they ever add Foundry I'll go LTS, but until then I prefer the comfort of just playing whenever the frak I feel like and not having to pay a big chunk of change to do so)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    At the VERY least, I'd subscribe for 5 months to see if you like it

I wouldn't recommend that. A month sure, but not 5. If you go a month and find you really like it then get the LTS. Or you might find you don't and you're out $15.

If you go 5 months, and find you like it, you either have to wait for 5 months to enjoy the benefits of LTS, or else lose $40, because they won't as far as I know, give you credit for subscription time you have.

I got my LTS back before launch, and have never regretted it. Even if I go play something else for a while I can always come back to CO and have access to everything.

Lately I took a break for SWTOR, then D3, and a little STO. I came back to CO and had over 5,000 zen, that's over $50 of free zen.
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend that. A month sure, but not 5. If you go a month and find you really like it then get the LTS. Or you might find you don't and you're out $15.

Yeah ... i would also say go a month for gold to look if you like the game for longer, and then
    decide :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • timmo1988timmo1988 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    Yeah ... i would also say go a month for gold to look if you like the game for longer, and then
    decide :wink:

As I said, I AM a former Gold Member:
    Subscriptions

Subscribed For: 91 Days

Subscription Status: Inactive
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Eh. I've been subscribed to Champions for about 375 days over it's lifespan.

That's 12 months of subscription, at a cost of $120, and at this point I'm pretty disinterested from subscription ever again.

If I had gone LTS, I'd have wasted $180.

If you really KNOW you will be interested for 2 + years in a game based on a month trial? Then go for it.

I think LTS is a waste for most people.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Go for it!!

I got mine because I'm in a tight budget and cannot spend 15 or more per month every month. Specially because my country has some erratic way to buy dollars. So the LTS was the only reasonable choice to keep playing as gold, getting slots for free and not paying per month

:B

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm an Altaholic,
    I play anywhere between 6 and 8 hours a day
    Based on the quotes above, it sounds like (if you have the money) then a LTS would suit you.

Also even tho i don't fly the vanguard flag, i have a LTS and i like it.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    The big question is if the game will still be around in 20 months, and if you also will play it
    for 20 months. Else its better to simply go gold, even more since you may get a month gold
    sometimes for much less than 15$.

The game's longevity is definitely in question these days. I don't see a lifetime sub this late in the game's existence to be a worthwhile investment.

Considering how buggy the last big patch was, it should be pretty clear that customer satisfaction isn't a huge priority. Otherwise we'd see far better quality assurance for starters.

Going gold again through standard subbing is the safest bet as you aren't committing nearly so much for most of the same benefits.
  • kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My lifetime sub has been a pretty worthwhile investment, but I got it pre-launch and I've been reaping the benefits for a long time now. I'd say only pick one up if you're really sure you're going to be sticking with the game for at least two years or so, even if it's sort of off-and-on.

Really, to me, that's been the biggest benefit of it- I can come and go as I please and never feel like I'm wasting subscription time. And the game's always got a bunch of new stuff for me whenever I come back, via the stipend.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A lot of people come here and debate the dollar value of a LTS as if it can be objectively determined and i think its a waste of time.

At the end of the day, i think it all depends on if you have the disposable income for it. I will never agree that any car is worth more than 100k but some people buy them and don't regret it.

If you have the money and like the game than its worth it. If you don't have the money and buy it any way and now you cant pay bills, then its not worth it.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited September 2012
    A lot of people come here and debate the dollar value of a LTS as if it can be objectively determined and i think its a waste of time.

At the end of the day, i think it all depends on if you have the disposable income for it. I will never agree that any car is worth more than 100k but some people buy them and don't regret it.

If you have the money and like the game than its worth it. If you don't have the money and buy it any way and now you cant pay bills, then its not worth it.

^---- Agree

Also, there is nothing wrong in spending money in what you love.

About the longevity of this game, none of us foresaw the closing of City of heroes. So who are we to determine how long this game will last?

Peace :cool:

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For me: yes its worth every cent.
    I played Guild Wars 2 for 4 Days after release but then i got bored and played Champions Online again. Its just the funniest mmo yet.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Worth it, because even when I get sick of CO (which has only really happened for like a month in 3 years) I can leave guilt free, go rot my brain on something else, and then just come back without missing a single step.

CO has actually made me decide that going forward, if I like an MMO, I'm not going to waste money on a sub, and just buy an LTS (as long as it isn't struggling from the start ::coughsecretworldcough::)
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm in the USA, more specifically California, I'm pretty sure Cryptic wont regionban someone in the same country they operate from, let alone the same state as their headquarters.

I play anywhere between 6 and 8 hours a day and considering that we're gearing up for the 3 Year Aniverssary of Champions Online, I highly doubt it'll close down anytime soon.

Thanks for the replies though everyone.

From one altoholic to another... yes! It's worth it! I love creating characters. I have over 60 of them, and like 10 more empty slots. I love it!
    biffsig.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, TrailTurtle has answered those people in those regions can still play, or should be able to, new people from those regions wouldn't even be able to make a PWE account.

He has :DOMFG YAY!!...pardon me I have to rescue some friends from Second Life.

Better get my NPV and anti-greifer hud on *

LTS in CO is so worth it . Also PWE likes to have lots of smaller MMO's and link them all through core connect rather than one big one (which they do actually have with Perfect World) so CO wont be sun setting anytime soon no matter what doom merchants say.

*The amount of times I have been attacked by people with attack huds that I have made myself is utterly hilarious...saying I know how to break through attacks and I also know the comand for their own huds to attack them ...Yesh I am that evil :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    pardon me I have to rescue some friends from Second Life.

LOL. Now I'm afraid to try that game.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    LOL. Now I'm afraid to try that game.

its not a game. its virtual simulation, heavy rp, heavy erotic rp. no game mechanics at all.... ive lost friends and family to it. and im like wtf??
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
    edited September 2012
    ktm1 wrote: »
    its not a game. its virtual simulation, heavy rp, heavy erotic rp. no game mechanics at all.... ive lost friends and family to it. and im like wtf??

Imagine champions but without the missions, stats and powers. And more dongs, wangs, privates, peckers and knockers than your monitor has room for!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And small troll named Ralph.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    He has :DOMFG YAY!!...pardon me I have to rescue some friends from Second Life.

Better get my NPV and anti-greifer hud on *

LTS in CO is so worth it . Also PWE likes to have lots of smaller MMO's and link them all through core connect rather than one big one (which they do actually have with Perfect World) so CO wont be sun setting anytime soon no matter what doom merchants say.

*The amount of times I have been attacked by people with attack huds that I have made myself is utterly hilarious...saying I know how to break through attacks and I also know the comand for their own huds to attack them ...Yesh I am that evil :D

Umm, nepht, you made that threat when TrailTurtle answered that :confused: In fact, you responded to him about it.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Umm, nepht, you made that threat when TrailTurtle answered that :confused: In fact, you responded to him about it.

I did?

I'll take your word for it , must have been after one of my Bacardi moments @__@&quot;

Any way good news will tell mah pals they dont need to hang in SL anymore than they need to :D

Dont see the threat but...unblock the regions or I will rescue mah pals from a smut sim?

Dang thats some scary sh@t.

Will say this well met for grandfathering in players Cryptic/PWE.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    klitty wrote: »
    Imagine champions but without the missions, stats and powers. And more dongs, wangs, privates, peckers and knockers than your monitor has room for!

I'm confused here......
    Are you trying to convince people to avoid Second Life......
    Or buy bigger monitors?

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    klitty wrote: »

They can probably use that as a sales pitch. Im also impressed that not a single one of those words was censored. :biggrin:
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012

1. It's an investment well worth the price. I haven't been a LTS member as long as others here, but it's more than well paid itself off and then some. The only issues I see are:
    • $300 is a lot of money (the second most I've ever spent on any game, ever)
    • You're invested for keeps one you spend it, if the game dies like CoH did you're out $300 + time spent gathering stuff

So yes, it's FULLY worth the cost. If you can up-front the cash. It's the investment that will keep paying off in the long run.

We are very lucky this game offers Lifetime Subscription of the premium services! Not many MMOs do!

IMHO:
    Silver = pay only for what you want, and you're not committed financially to do so in order to have fun playing
    Gold = trial version of Lifetime, monthly or quarterly bills to pay.
    Lifetime = substantially invested financially, but you get the full experience unlimited by time

Note: Silvers and Gold members can actually end up paying more than any LTS, so they deserve just as much respect as LTS members. Also most LTS members also buy extra from time to time (including me).

2. To the non-LTS people I see dropping their opinions about LTS. Please don't. You are not a LTS member so you don't really know. I'm not trying to be mean or snooty here, but the OP was specifically asking for opinions of LTS owners. If there's buyer remorse being felt, it needs to be heard from LTS members only. Gold members aren't as invested simply because they can throw their weight around in threatening to cancel their subscription. LTS membership is permanent.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    1. It's an investment well worth the price. I haven't been a LTS member as long as others here, but it's more than well paid itself off and then some. The only issues I see are:
    • $300 is a lot of money (the second most I've ever spent on any game, ever)
    ---

We are very lucky this game offers Lifetime Subscription of the premium services! Not many MMOs do!

Absolutely. When I first heard that Champions was offering the lifetime sub, at first I thought it was way too expensive for just a game. Then I calculated that I payed for WoW for 3 years, give or take a few months. That comes out to 540 bucks.

I then made the decision to buy right away.
    biffsig.jpg
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For myself it has been well worth it. Mine has paid for itself, and with the stipend the game pays me now.
    edited September 2012
    Even that (though? thouff?) I am a lifetimer, I like to charge a few zens now and then to buy more stuff without waiting for a whole month to gather my stipend.

I want some stuff naow!! And I cannot do surveys because I'm in South America, Republic of Banania

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • mlmiimlmii Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As a fairly new lifer my vote would be to get it asap as long as doing so doesn't break the bank.
  • yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lifetime membership worth it, yes!
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bumping to make sure game content threads aren't knocked off the front page.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Another bump, unfortunately, is needed. Sorry folks.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For what it is worth, I've been subscribed a little over 200 days by buying 60 day cards and different retail packages (less that $5.00 each) and spent about $30 for those 200 days. This month is the 3rd anniversary for Champions and I'm hoping they will put the LTS on sale for the anniversary, If they do they will have my money, but if they don't I will be going back to silver when my timecards run out ......

I'm really hoping they have a sale for the anniversary, I mean 3 months ago they had a sale for Star Trek LTS's so I think it is time for a Champions LTS sale.....
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Two bumps isn't working, you need to bump harder!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Now we have to bump and grind...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • drgeminidrgemini Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I bought mine during beta and haven't hardly played enough to justify it. However, I'd have to say that if you are going to be playing regularly it is well worth it. The good thing about it as well is, if you decide to take a few months off now and again, you still accrue the monthly stipend and vet rewards. I have several thousand zen right now and, up until last weekend, I haven't played more than couple hours since F2P beta.