test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

For all you new players coming over from CoH

jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
First of all, Welcome!
Second, there is a particularity with the Champions Online Character Creator that I believe that you need to know about. The Character Creator is level gated in this game. Only a very basic, highly streamlined version will be available until you level up one character to, I believe, around Level 10. This is a negligible amount of in game time with a Toon that, in all likelihood, most people would not end up keeping, anyway. Most likely it will take you anywhere from 1-5 hours, depending on how much time you spend chatting, fiddling with the settings, or just enjoying the scenery. Then you can go back and get the full Champions Online experience.
I feel the need to mention this because the Character Creator is this games single best feature, and the best selling point for people coming in from other MMO's.
I would hate to see you folks turned off on the game because of a poor excuse for an early Character Creation experience.
Hope this helps and once again Welcome to the Game.

P.S.: This would be a good time and place for some of you other experienced players out there to chime in with early game "need to know" items that you feel could be of some use to these new members of our Massively Multi-Player Online Dysfunctional Family here at Champions Online!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
Post edited by jorifice1 on

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is an excellent point. The character editor grows by leaps and bounds once you get past that hurdle.

Also, if you're playing free and are thinking about subbing, your costume choices grow even larger when you do subscribe.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Youdo get so much more control over your character even as a free player in CO than city of heroes limited and outdated costume creator., as well.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Can we try to keep this positive, and not compare the games?

Regardless of City's character creator, these players are here now, and there's no use disparaging their game.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, last I recall the costume creator becomes free reign once you complete the tutorial for the first time, according to a few tests with a friend as well as my own experience.

Herm...Need to know things...

Probably one of the best suggestions 'To know' is to hold off on the Alert content that is thrown at you until you are roughly level fifteen or so. By then, you will have a basic understanding of how the powers mesh and work, and you will have decent gear as well as a selection of powers to choose from to use.

And one of the best ideas, is to simply ask for help. Don't know something? Post it here, we have many a person that are knowledgeable about the game and its systems.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    l7zergel7zerge Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's good to feel welcomed, even if our title's histories together have been... complex. I can appreciate the gating mechanisms, even CoH had that a plenty, although there were ways to get around it with cash shop unlocks. I'll avoid comparing the two much, and simply try to enjoy CO for what it is.
    edited September 2012
    I was mainly talking about comparing the two games just to put City in a bad light. I really don't think it's a time for that. Feel free to make comparisons, but I'll be moderating anything I see that looks like trolling.

Just ain't the time for that!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My understanding is that with your first character, the Creator is limited until you hit lvl 10. (PW seems to have a real thing about 10th level...) Once you've reached that magical mark, however, every toon after that should have full access from the moment of creation.

I can't say this with greater than about a 90% degree of confidence, because I had left lvl 10 in the dust long before this "streamlining" nonsense was put in, but that was my understanding of how it worked.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    etophalesetophales Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks. I never knew that. Was it the case since the beginning? The most I played was when the tutorial was free, and that was the extent of it. This could be an incentive to go further.

Does the enhanced character creator have better faces? Because if there's one thing which put me off in CO it's the character faces.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Champions basic face editor is great.
    Maybe you didn't access the interface if you think the faces in game look bad.
    The defaults are pretty awful.
  • Options
    etophalesetophales Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm sure I played with everything I could in the interface. I could change the various proportions of the face, but it still looked like the same caricature face. It has something that just feels wrong about it. Maybe I'm missing something.
  • Options
    thecheeseslicerthecheeseslicer Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you to all the CO players who are making our transition from CoH to CO a pleasant one. I've been playing CO for a few hours, and I'm starting to get into it. There's a lot I still don't understand, but I'll learn as I go. The community on these forums seems good, and I hope the ingame community is just as good. I've already been talking to someone ingame who has been playing both CoH and CO for a long time, and there's others ingame who have greeted me after I introduced myself. There's the odd few who are hostile, but you get that in any MMO. I chose to ignore their comments, and have a chat with the people who are more welcoming and friendly.
  • Options
    megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah you will find some like that but not all of them will be that way..Co is alot like Lord of the rings was with me the community is very friendly and helpful
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    etophales wrote: »
    I'm sure I played with everything I could in the interface. I could change the various proportions of the face, but it still looked like the same caricature face. It has something that just feels wrong about it. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's a cartoon. And though CoH's faces were more dated and needed update, CoH as a whole was a much darker, grittier game.
    [center][i]♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪[/i][/center]
  • Options
    ferrolhoferrolho Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Everyone's welcome. More people means more fun. Especially fellow Super Heroes.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bah, nevermind....I need to learn to read better. Suggestion I was going to offer, does not apply.

Ignore the munkey. But welcome to CO :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    etophales wrote: »

Oh Yeah, MUCH better!
    In fact you are not even limited to human heads!
    There are dozens on Monsters, Deamons, Alians, Insects, Robots and Animals to choose from.
    Then there are the hundreds of asorted Masks, Helmets, Hats, and Accessories. You can make just about anything.
    Take a look in the Costumes And Concepts section of this forum for some inspiration if you need it.
    Hope this helps.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CO allows a vast range of head options, though I really liked the basic design of texture faces CoH has -- CoH faces have way more personality.

But in CO you can have a big bubble helmet with a floating brain.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    l7zergel7zerge Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    CO allows a vast range of head options, though I really liked the basic design of texture faces CoH has -- CoH faces have way more personality.

But in CO you can have a big bubble helmet with a floating brain.

There were tons of alternative head options in CoH too, to be fair, although nothing like the Shark Head. We did have wolves, birds, minotaurs, bats, fish, lizards, yes even the brain in a jar, with lots of sub options for each of those.

CoH had dated and rather low poly models, there's simply no denying that, but it still had a lot of options, especially with texture skins for all the categories. CO seems to, at least from a glance, lack some "basics" for people aiming for a more golden age aesthetic, although there's still plenty to work with. Most things about the CO models that people dislike can be fixed using the insane amount of sliders, but not the "plasticy" finish on the skin. It's hard to actually say either game has more options in the grander scheme, but they at least have very different ones. I really like Champions more fleshed out colour schemes, asymmetric details, and general detail anchor points.
    edited September 2012
    Another thing for new players to keep in mind is that when you reach level 25 you get to create your own personal Nemesis. Your very own Lex Luthor/Joker/Magneto to dog your footsteps and make your life a Living Hell (in the most FUN sense of the term;) ).

• Options
    thecheeseslicerthecheeseslicer Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Another thing for new players to keep in mind is that when you reach level 25 you get to create your own personal Nemesis. Your very own Lex Luthor/Joker/Magneto to dog your footsteps and make your life a Living Hell (in the most FUN sense of the term;) ).

Now that, I do like the sound of! Finally, Cheese Slicer and Edaminator can face off against one another.
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Even as a big fan of Champions, I have to admit the nemesis system has been abandoned by Cryptic.

It's pretty sad too, as I love it.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    photonhammerphotonhammer Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well i want to thank you guys for understanding the situation that alot of us new players are in. we got a swift kick in the junk and sent packing... luckily, for some of us, that trip didn't take long, CO was right here. i subbed last night, DL'ed the client, and made my first CO toon. costume creator was good actually. i've found that i can really enjoy the slightly more cartoony feel of the art style here, definitely starting to enjoy it! i like the options available for the CC, the spots on the body that you can customize, it's excellent to hear that you get more options at lvl 10, so looking forward to that.

have a couple of questions as a new player, and am looking for the CO analogs to COH. i am sure many of you played COH, and went thru the same transition, so here's hoping i can get some insight.

first, i am a bit of a solo'er, not anti social or anything, just play odd hours, or with lots pf breaks. that being said, how is solo progression in this game? is it doable? and if so, what kind of power "sets" work best for that? don't get me wrong, i am be no means a min-maxer, i have no interest in "teh l33t ub3r bildz" i would just like to be somewhat self sufficient.

for example, how bad is tank damage? can you actually make it through more than a mob every 10 minutes, or is there a more "brute/scrapper" type build?

how is ranged combat? i love some of the options here for powers, my first toon is a hybrid achetype, the energy blastery type, sounded like a great form of a comic staple that COH never really nailed in my opinion. is a ranged energy blasting type a solo option, will i just be frustrated by how much i die?

i know this was kind of rambling, sorry. i haven't been in this position for a long time... new to the game and no idea what i"m doing. it's disorienting to say the least.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012

first, i am a bit of a solo'er, not anti social or anything, just play odd hours, or with lots pf breaks. that being said, how is solo progression in this game? is it doable? and if so, what kind of power "sets" work best for that? don't get me wrong, i am be no means a min-maxer, i have no interest in "teh l33t ub3r bildz" i would just like to be somewhat self sufficient.

Solo progression is pretty easy and straightforward.

Powersets vary, one of the big pluses of CO is the massive mixing and power customization [ie we don't need no stinking classes] that said, it can also be a pitfall.

Here's the general section on Builds and Roles, look through here, there's a very good chance someone has written up a build just like or very close to one you'd like..

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

Heck we even take requests!

This thread will help a lot, but it's a dense read I admit.
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=110987

But a lot of people find high DPS frameworks good leveling [wind/fire/electricity]

Tough durable frameworks are also popular [Might, Besital, Power Armor]

But I'm not kidding when I tell you you can make a good leveling build out of any powerset or mix of, but some are better than others.

I've only scratched the surface.

for example, how bad is tank damage? can you actually make it through more than a mob every 10 minutes, or is there a more "brute/scrapper" type build?

Oh you can sweep through minions in seconds, villains and master villains are the one to keep an eye out for.
    Even if only because they last longer. The game expects you to mop up minions quickly, they are often grouped with one 'tough guy' villain, clear the weak ones and then bust the tough guys chops

how is ranged combat? i love some of the options here for powers, my first toon is a hybrid achetype, the energy blastery type, sounded like a great form of a comic staple that COH never really nailed in my opinion. is a ranged energy blasting type a solo option, will i just be frustrated by how much i die?

Most of my solo leveling has been with ranged toons, it's no problem at all.

But..

I'll give you my short list of tips for starting out and early progression...
    1. Get a Good Single Target attack and max it out
    2. Get a good AOE, either Cone or PBAOE and max it out
    3. Love your passive, and play to it's strengths
    4. Get a good Self Heal as soon as it's handy
    5. If you're melee; get a lunge but don't max it, you will not need to
    6. If your ranged, watch your step

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    well i want to thank you guys for understanding the situation that alot of us new players are in. we got a swift kick in the junk and sent packing... luckily, for some of us, that trip didn't take long, CO was right here. i subbed last night, DL'ed the client, and made my first CO toon. costume creator was good actually. i've found that i can really enjoy the slightly more cartoony feel of the art style here, definitely starting to enjoy it! i like the options available for the CC, the spots on the body that you can customize, it's excellent to hear that you get more options at lvl 10, so looking forward to that.

have a couple of questions as a new player, and am looking for the CO analogs to COH. i am sure many of you played COH, and went thru the same transition, so here's hoping i can get some insight.

i know this was kind of rambling, sorry. i haven't been in this position for a long time... new to the game and no idea what i"m doing. it's disorienting to say the least.

First off, welcome to the game!
    Sounds like you are going to feel right a home here.
    You see, this game is a Solo players dream.
    Just about everything but a few 5 man lairs and the Alerts are solo-able by just about any free form player and the over whelming number of Archtypes. And with experience and preparation many of those 5 man lairs are solo-able.
    As to survivability and damage, as a Gold member it is ENTIRELY up to you!
    You can choose literally ANY level of the two based on your Passive, your Toggle and your Superstats, without even getting into your Gear.
    In fact, some of the most popular and powerful Tanking builds are actually energy blasting ranged characters.
    For instance you can choose a Defensive passive such as Regeneration or Defiance or Invulnerability to make you MUCH harder to kill, or you can slot an Offensive one such as Kinetic Manipulation or one of the Elemental Forms to give you a massive damage buff, Or you can choose something like Quarry which will give you a very nice blend of Offence and Healing along with Stat. buffs for Ranged characters.
    You can choose to make Con. your primary Superstat and get a big bump to your Health or as a secondary one and get a lesser bump. Or you can choose ones like Str. for melee damage, Ego for ranged damage, or Dex. for crit. chance and forgo Con. entirely, relying on your ability to obliterate all opposition before it ever threatens you!
    And for each type of character there is a special Toggle ability which acts as a second, weaker, Passive.
    I would recommend checking out the Combat and Powers section of the Forums for more and better info.
    Hope this helps.

• Options
    photonhammerphotonhammer Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well shucks, those answers make me very happy :biggrin:
    thanks folks!

gonna go look through the powers and combat section... the freeform approach sounds complicated but fun.

on a side note, between my post and now i went in, made a second toon, spent 30 minutes getting the costume to "OK" status (apparently i can really tweak it at lvl 10), hit "play now" and it fails, have to relogin... this happened last night too, when i made my first toon. should i be logging in with my PW account or my cryptic.... which i think are the same thing, but there is still a radio button option. or is it just a glitch?
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If your account is a new one, you should be using the Perfect World account login, as that's the only one you should have.

If you're working from an older account that you haven't used in a long time, you may still have a Cryptic login.

They are currently in the process of merging the accounts. At some point you'll -have- to have a Perfect World login. I'm guessing most have already converted over. They're keeping the option for Cryptic login probably for a while though, in case older account holders come back and haven't heard about the changes.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Solo progression is pretty easy and straightforward.

Powersets vary, one of the big pluses of CO is the massive mixing and power customization [ie we don't need no stinking classes] that said, it can also be a pitfall.

Here's the general section on Builds and Roles, look through here, there's a very good chance someone has written up a build just like or very close to one you'd like..

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

Heck we even take requests!

This thread will help a lot, but it's a dense read I admit.
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=110987

But a lot of people find high DPS frameworks good leveling [wind/fire/electricity]

Tough durable frameworks are also popular [Might, Besital, Power Armor]

But I'm not kidding when I tell you you can make a good leveling build out of any powerset or mix of, but some are better than others.

I've only scratched the surface.

Oh you can sweep through minions in seconds, villains and master villains are the one to keep an eye out for.
    Even if only because they last longer. The game expects you to mop up minions quickly, they are often grouped with one 'tough guy' villain, clear the weak ones and then bust the tough guys chops

Most of my solo leveling has been with ranged toons, it's no problem at all.

But..

I'll give you my short list of tips for starting out and early progression...
    1. Get a Good Single Target attack and max it out
    2. Get a good AOE, either Cone or PBAOE and max it out
    3. Love your passive, and play to it's strengths
    4. Get a good Self Heal as soon as it's handy
    5. If you're melee; get a lunge but don't max it, you will not need to
    6. If your ranged, watch your step

QFT. This is some pretty solid advice.

For DPS, your mantra is "kill them before they kill you"
    For Tanks you NEED crippling challenge & challenging strikes, and need to learn how to use them in teamplay.
    For Might, build up 3 stacks of knocks BEFORE using your power hit or you're going to irritate your teammates, especially the melee teammates.
    Remember to block the following:
    • Heavy charged up attacks (i.e.: Mega Destroid's energy wave attack)
    • Attempts to hold you (some enemies you need to wait until they're done trying)
    • Heavy debuff-stacking maintains (i.e.: Valerian's Soul Flay maintain)
    Also, remember to NEVER attack Baron Cimetiere when he blocks (exception being if you or a teammate can cancel his blocking with Crippling Challenge).
    Auction House = AH = the safest way to trade stuff in the game

Also, for all "Open Missions", getting a higher score gives you extra resources/gold, but the % chance drop for a rare item is the same whether you're at the bottom or top of the scoreboard. This is coming from what is undoubtedly a few thousand open missions I've completely (Blood Moon farming mostly) and intentional statistical testing.
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    BTW - I'm primarily a City of Heroes player myself, though CO has always been an optional game to play. So I've been a crossover player for a couple of years now.

And I'm devastated at the loss of COH myself. And I'll be over there pretty much non-stop until the end of November. But I'll check in here from time to time and see if anyone needs questions answered. I don't know everything, but I can and will help answer questions about this game. I want to do something positive rather than sulk.

And if we don't get a miracle by the end of November, then I'll be over here a lot more and much more actively helping then.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    One other thing to add to all this stellar advice, is not to neglect your role. For ATs your role is fixed and sets how your "class" functions in the standard MMO trinity.

Freeform on the other had, can use any role and switch up on the fly. You even have the ability to set up pre-set builds that can swap out gear, tool bar powers, and role, with a single click.

The advantage is, say you wanna play a tank. Thats great in a group, not so ideal when solo. Solo you might wanna ditch some protection for DPS. Just switch from Tank to Hybrid role and youll do pretty much that. All without having to change your passive.
  • Options
    kiyoko4kiyoko4 Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am a CO player. I want to say I'm heart-broken to hear about COH closing. It was a great game and a great world, and I'll always have fond memories of it.

I want to join in welcoming any COH players coming here. CO is a little different, but it has some great possibilities too. I made the change a while ago, and you can too, if you want. It hurts to lose Paragon, but you will gain a lot of things too.

Doubt anyone would remember Christine the Cat from COH, but if you do drop me a line! :)
  • Options
    lsyalsya Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to all the CoX players. It's sad to see it close down. I played CoH beta and CoV beta. Played for 5 years. Switched to CO when the beta started. Loved them both.

I think what I like most about CO is the freeform design. But I have to admit...I miss having a place like Atlas Park. I met a lot of new friends there just hanging out. Some of the best SGs I was in came from meeting people there.
    L'sya Raiya
  • Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just giving my welcome to ye, the displaced. Sorry about CoH, and I hope you find new horizons here.

My generic advice would be to embrace Freeform soonish. Doesn't have to be immediately per say, but it's certainly why I play at all. Testing, tinkering, and such. The choices are pretty groovy, as is the ability to mix sets which is often quite rewarding.

Also don't be tempted to do constant nonstop Alerts. That way the dark side lay!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    Also don't be tempted to do constant nonstop Alerts. That way the dark side lay!
    "Is the Dark Side stronger?"

"Stronger? No. Quicker, easier, more seductive. But if ever you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume you it will!"
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    steeldefiantsteeldefiant Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for having us misplaced super heroes, i'm really saddend by the sudden closure of the other game but i'm really excited about what is new to me here. People here have reminded me about about my old sever and have been very helpful. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Formerly @SteelDominator in COH
    Proud member of Earthguard SG/Phoenix Phalanx
  • Options
    xgcoxgco Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want to start off by saying how sad I am to hear that CoX is closing. I was there at the very beginning and was probably with it until Champions Online was launched. I played on Protector, somehow I chose the wrong server as it was always really quiet.

As for advice about CO - I have a few nuggets.

- If you don't know something send a shout in Zone chat, we were all new at one point and I know that I am still learning from other people's questions.

- Create to your heart's content and let your imaginations soar.

- Play the tutorial at least once just to get a handle on how things work in the game and maybe even don't do Alerts with your first character, just to actually see the story and really get a shot of the ol' Champions experience.

- Blocking is important and can be and is a lifesaver. Enemies give tells (comic word bubbles like BAM! or BOOM!) so you know a powerful attack is coming.

- While the game is mostly solo play, you can get some awesome Team play here and there between lairs, events, alerts and later on Nem Con: Where everyone's custom made Nemesis' come together to fight your team.

- Just have fun :D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Is the Dark Side stronger?"

"Stronger? No. Quicker, easier, more seductive. But if ever you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume you it will!"

Thanks Yoda... -_-

:biggrin:
    xgco wrote: »
    - If you don't know something send a shout in Zone chat, we were all new at one point and I know that I am still learning from other people's questions.

I like newbies! :-3

(I don't like noobs, their arrogance combined with their ignorance annoys me)

One of the game best features, definitely!

FYI: Homages are ok, but no clones please. Be original!

- Play the tutorial at least once just to get a handle on how things work in the game and maybe even don't do Alerts with your first character, just to actually see the story and really get a shot of the ol' Champions experience.

Alerts don't teach you anything nor do you get to enjoy the journey. Alerts are for grinding because you're bored of leveling normally or are grinding away for Questionite.

- Blocking is important and can be and is a lifesaver. Enemies give tells (comic word bubbles like BAM! or BOOM!) so you know a powerful attack is coming.

This is important. Blocking isn't a very difficult skill to learn, but it is essential to learn.

- While the game is mostly solo play, you can get some awesome Team play here and there between lairs, events, alerts and later on Nem Con

Actually... I'd argue the game as a whole is more fun when you do it with a team (not to mention you get extra XP for teaming up)

If you only want solo play, why are you playing a MMORPG? Why not just play an RPG then? (sometimes it's good to take things at your own pace so you can enjoy it without being rushed, but that just means you should find a friend who's patient enough to go at your pace)

"Just have fun & do your best!" -- my motto
  • Options
    goodwilloutgoodwillout Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I thought I?d extend a welcome to all of the incoming COX players. My experience with COX is extremely limited (I played it for around a week or so last year) and, whilst it wasn?t for me, I can vouch for the wonderful community which is/was present in that game. Within five minutes of exiting the tutorial, I was greeted by a friendly player who asked if I needed any help and about ten minutes after that I was invited to a group. I don?t really have a lot of experience with the game outside of that week but I certainly liked the option to be a villain (that would be greatly welcomed over here!) and the aura system which was in place was awesome too (I believe we?re going to be getting a similar system in time). It really sucks what happened to you guys.

I?ve been here in CO since July 2011 and, though I?ve taken two breaks (I?ve actually just come back from my second break in order to try out the Night Avenger powerset), I think I?ll probably be here until CO goes the same way as COX. I?m not sure how the power customisation compares with COX (as I only had access to the restricted ?free? version of COX during my week there) but it?s still a pretty great system. I have around twelve freeform characters now and they?re all completely different. I?m pretty sure that you?ll find the character customisation to be almost as good as COX (although bear in mind that COX had several more years to add new costumes). I?ve seen some incredible characters made using the creator ? only last night in an Alert, someone had perfectly replicated the alien from the Alien movies (if anyone knows how he did that ? please let me know!) You?ll probably find the combat system a bit difficult after your time in CO but, once you get the hang of it, you?ll probably love it as much as I do. It?s one of the main reasons I like this game so much as it combat is fast and fluid, and feels a lot more like a console game than the standard MMO.

We don?t have as much content as you COX but, what we do have is pretty good. I recommend getting a team together and going through some of the adventure packs at one point. You?ll find that people are generally quite willing to help you if you ask a question in global chat and I?ve helped out a few people myself with the early missions.

Anyway, enough rambling. To those of you who have just joined us, I am glad to see you here. I?ve already had the pleasure of chatting with a few ex-COX players and they?ve been really nice people. Your addition is a benefit to our community.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robothenrirobothenri Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi guys, thanks for this welcome post, as another refugee from CoH i really appreciate it. I'm Henri from the forums and my main oc was Robot H3NRI who i'll be trying to recreate here. I was a massive fan of the CoH costume creator so i'm looking forward to getting to grips with the CO one, struggling a little bit at the moment though...

Good to see some names I recognise too, even you Cheese... :p Hope to see you all ingame soon, cheers H.

Oh, btw, how do i change my avatar to my custom one? I see the change avatar link but it's only giving me the option to use an ingame avatar, not to download a custom one... thanks.

My stuff at deviantart
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Fortunately, Henri, the Grand Nagus was kind enough to look up the real spots for that. I kept the links in my sig... :smile:

• Options
    robothenrirobothenri Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Fortunately, Henri, the Grand Nagus was kind enough to look up the real spots for that. I kept the links in my sig... :smile:

Thanks pal :)

My stuff at deviantart
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I want to start off by saying how sad I am to hear that CoX is closing. I was there at the very beginning and was probably with it until Champions Online was launched. I played on Protector, somehow I chose the wrong server as it was always really quiet.

As for advice about CO - I have a few nuggets.

- While the game is mostly solo play, you can get some awesome Team play here and there between lairs, events, alerts and later on Nem Con: Where everyone's custom made Nemesis' come together to fight your team.

You forgot the single most important rule in all of Champions Online:

-You've got to shut down ALL those beacons!

• Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    You forgot the single most important rule in all of Champions Online:

-You've got to shut down ALL those beacons!

And don't forget to block! :D

Oh, wait, they already said that.

Fup it... :cool:

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    vereskveresk Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hm, what are roles that are needed in CO in general ?
    I'm more the type that fills shortages of certain roles/types for groups of all kind. ;o

And probably, I'll be gone in the CC for a quite a while for that, lol. :C

Former CoH Player. - Paradox Fate
    Current Character - Crescent[?]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    veresk wrote: »
    I'm more the type that fills shortages of certain roles/types for groups of all kind. ;o

Nothing fancy here. We pretty much have the main 3 of the holy trinity. Tank, DPS, and Healer.

DPS has been broken down to ranged and melee. The game encourages you to be one or the other. Mixing both ranged and melee often results in one or the other being lackluster.

Support roles, pretty much get broken down into healers....and well healers. Crowd control abilities are next to worthless. So there is little joy or use in being a controller. Support classes have access to group auras that can buff. But they are a passive "always on" type power that really doesn't lend itself to buffer style play. Most folks take an aura to either help themselves mostly. Or they take it to make their role as a healer easier.
  • Options
    thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    veresk wrote: »

CO allows you to make the feared tankmage. You can fill all roles.
    My main has massive ranged ST DPS, AOE DPS, self and group healing, mobility, and can tank too. No controls because frankly they don't work on mobs you would want them on, and I can 2-3 shot practically everything else.

Don't look to fill one roll. You can fill all roles at a superior level.

I also urge you to check the AH to see which stats are worth using and those stats that arent worth your time. The prices on gear make it pretty clear.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Nothing fancy here. We pretty much have the main 3 of the holy trinity. Tank, DPS, and Healer.

DPS has been broken down to ranged and melee. The game encourages you to be one or the other. Mixing both ranged and melee often results in one or the other being lackluster.

Support roles, pretty much get broken down into healers....and well healers. Crowd control abilities are next to worthless. So there is little joy or use in being a controller. Support classes have access to group auras that can buff. But they are a passive "always on" type power that really doesn't lend itself to buffer style play. Most folks take an aura to either help themselves mostly. Or they take it to make their role as a healer easier.

Yes, there's sort of the "holy trinity", for better or worse. There's also a wide range of blended characters. Tanks and healers with notable DPS, tanks that also are substantial healers, etc.

Archetypes are predictable what their roles will be in combat, freeform builds you should ask. And keep in mind many people who make their builds think they are good at everything, when they are not. There's real benefit in freeform builds to specializing at something, focusing around just one or two active powers (i.e.: the "focus of the build")

The question you should be asking a freeform teammate is "What is the focus of your build?" rather than "Are you a tank/healer/DPS?" You also not truly a tank in this game if you're not packing the Crippling Challenge and Challenging Strikes advantages, just being in tank role isn't enough to hold & pull agro in a team setting.

But DO NOT make the mistake of thinking all support are healers!!! This is far from the case, and sadly there are a lot of noobs lately who are really quite mean & rude to other players they incorrectly assume are healers just because they're in support role.

I know of several characters, including one of my own (she uses the AoED slotted passive), that are DPS in support role and are not healers. Just because you see the '+' icon above their head doesn't mean they're necessarily designed to be a dedicated healer!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Yes, there's sort of the "holy trinity", for better or worse. There's also a wide range of blended characters. Tanks and healers with notable DPS, tanks that also are substantial healers, etc.

Archetypes are predictable what their roles will be in combat, freeform builds you should ask. And keep in mind many people who make their builds think they are good at everything, when they are not. There's real benefit in freeform builds to specializing at something, focusing around just one or two active powers (i.e.: the "focus of the build")

The question you should be asking a freeform teammate is "What is the focus of your build?" rather than "Are you a tank/healer/DPS?" You also not truly a tank in this game if you're not packing the Crippling Challenge and Challenging Strikes advantages, just being in tank role isn't enough to hold & pull agro in a team setting.

But DO NOT make the mistake of thinking all support are healers!!! This is far from the case, and sadly there are a lot of noobs lately who are really quite mean & rude to other players they incorrectly assume are healers just because they're in support role.

I know of several characters, including one of my own (she uses the AoED slotted passive), that are DPS in support role and are not healers. Just because you see the '+' icon above their head doesn't mean they're necessarily designed to be a dedicated healer!

Heh!, I run into the same problem myself with my Pet Class Support characters! I am open and upfront in Alerts and other Pugs that I am not a healer at the very beginning of the Alert, but there are still SOOOOO many people who still believe that that Cross means healer and if you are not healing you are "doing it wrong", rather that playing another KIND of support character.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »

Agreed, in my effort to keep it simple...a lot got left out.

I also get annoyed when folks mistake me for a healer, simply because of the role Im in. That said, my point stands that you will rarely find a dedicated supporter, discounting ATs of course. Most folks either run in support role for their own reasons...and if it helps the group, that's a bonus. Or they are running a healer.

A non healing, group centered, dedicated supporter are about as rare as dedicated controllers. :biggrin:
  • Options
    vereskveresk Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the awesome feedback so far~ :smile:

And yeah, it sounds freeform can do alot of things here and make it much more interesting to check out various builds.
    However, I'm a knack for support/hybrid AT's so I try to find my corner here. The Impulse and Grimoire are interesting concepts, but I can't decide what I like more to test out.

Ah, the unending struggle for the fitting AT - As worse as finding the perfect costume. :tongue:

But again, thank you guys alot for the information so far, I apprechiate that.

Former CoH Player. - Paradox Fate
    Current Character - Crescent[?]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The impulse is really lackluster.

The Grim, can be fun. Its not a powerhouse by any means. But it can hold its own and does well both solo and as part of a group. Provided you have a tank smart enough to keep the baddie on one place long enough for your sigils to nuke the snot out of it. :biggrin: