test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Veteran EU CoH player, looking to join you lot.

thecheeseslicerthecheeseslicer Posts: 28 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Hi, I'm James and I am a former CoH player. With the game closing down soon, I thought I'd check out the alternatives. I tried DCUO in the past, but wasn't fond of it at all. When CO was first released, I bought it and played it for about a month. Although I enjoyed it, I just couldn't stay away from CoH. Now, I am going to give CO another try. I have a question though. The download from the Perfect World website and the Steam download of the game, are they different from one another? If I downloaded the game off Steam, would I be able to play it using an account created on the Perfect World website?

Oh, and my global name on CoH is CheeseSlicer, and I'm from Union server... Just so you know :D
Post edited by thecheeseslicer on

Comments

• Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have a question though. The download from the Perfect World website and the Steam download of the game, are they different from one another? If I downloaded the game off Steam, would I be able to play it using an account created on the Perfect World website?

Yes, in fact, you would. The Steam version is identical, the only difference being is that it's on Steam. If you're like me and happen to use Steam all the time anyway, go ahead and get it off there.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to CO,and sorry for the loss of a great game

But none the less,welcome!

Before you start playing there is a promotion you may want to get in on,it gives you a free costume pack and a heavy weapons archetype(AT), if you have any questions about the promo,there was a thread on it here.and about the question,whichever you download,you have to use a PWE account to play now,if you still have your old cryptic account,the log in box will ask you to convert it,that way you don't lose anything you had from before and don't have to start over,see you in game!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I think my old account got hacked a long time ago. I got an E-mail around this time last year, saying that my billing address had been changed. It sure as Hell wasn't me who changed it. I also got an E-mail earlier this year, telling me this:

"As a result of routine security checks and upgrades, we have discovered that certain of your account information, including your password, may have been accessed by an unauthorized party.

For your security, we've reset the password on your account. You can recover your password via the "forgot password" link on the official Star Trek Online or Champions Online web sites:

https://www.startrekonline.com/user/password
    https://www.champions-online.com/user/password

If you have used your account name and password for other accounts, especially financial accounts or accounts with personal information, you should consider changing your password on other services as well.

For full details on the unauthorized access, please read the notification here.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Customer Service
    Cryptic Studios "

I'm guessing that means it's all gone, and I can't use that account anymore.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No, the latter was due to a security breach into Cryptic's systems. Everyone had to do that at that time. Follow the directions to reset it and it should be good.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just did it, so I should have my old toons back :D
  • Options
    megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    welcome to the game
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just did it, so I should have my old toons back :D
    Welcome home! :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh, how I love these massive patches when I just want to play a game! :p
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to our community! Hopefully this will form a stronger community having us more fans of superhero MMOs in one place.

:smile:

Yeah you're going to feel like it's a whole new game with a strikingly familiar game engine, which will probably help ease the transition.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome!!

Watch where you step though.. Foxbat has been through here..

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Poop! I can't use any of my old toons, because I'm only a silver account holder. I don't want to dive in and pay for a subscription straight away though, as I don't know how much I'll enjoy the game. Guess I'll be making a new toon...

Thanks for all the welcome messages. I hope this community is as good as the CoH community/
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Poop! I can't use any of my old toons, because I'm only a silver account holder. I don't want to dive in and pay for a subscription straight away though, as I don't know how much I'll enjoy the game. Guess I'll be making a new toon...

Thanks for all the welcome messages. I hope this community is as good as the CoH community/

Subscription is definitely the way to best experience the game. Or at least pick up a freeform slot (it's about 5000 Z / $50). You actually just missed a sale last weekend on the $50 amount lol

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=167481 <-- I actually mentioned the different ways you can get pay-for stuff in this game in this thread, take a look it might help you decided what to do

PS: I'd recommend playing this game with teams and voice chat communication of some kind with your friends if you can, as you'll have a much more fun experience that way as you get into bigger missions. Teleios's Tower and Search & Destroyer are really the first time you'll fight "tough" enemies in PvE in mission/quest chains. Grond is like increment weather in the Desert, big booming voice behind you talking about squishing you is probably a good time to run like hell if you're a lower level.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome!

Just a little heads up for a player returning from WAAAAY back:
    They did something a bit odd (read clinically insane) with the Character Creator:
    You now have to wait for around Level 10 on one character to get the full Creator. I do not know if you will be Grandfathered in or not, so if you only see a few options don't worry. Just finish the Tutorial and a bit of the West Side and try again. The entire spectrum of options open to Silver Players will be there!
    Well, that's the longest I can talk to a British person without using the phrase "Treaclemonger" with malice aforethought, forcing you to hunt me down for the sake of your Nation, so, so-long and I look forward to seeing you around Millennium City soon!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thanks jorifice, I did wonder where half the character creator stuff was.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012

You should be able to convert those characters to Silver. On the character select screen, look to the far right, under Rename. This'll convert your character to be Silver compatible... I think it'll make you an archetype, I've only converted from Silver -> Gold instead of the other way around.

You'll only be able to convert once, though maybe you could convert G -> S then back. Not sure if it's one conversion in each direction, or just one period. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome back! I'm another CoH player that switches between here and there. Both great games.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    You should be able to convert those characters to Silver. On the character select screen, look to the far right, under Rename. This'll convert your character to be Silver compatible... I think it'll make you an archetype, I've only converted from Silver -> Gold instead of the other way around.

You'll only be able to convert once, though maybe you could convert G -> S then back. Not sure if it's one conversion in each direction, or just one period. Hope this helps.:smile:
    If you convert a Gold Freeform, it'll be converted to a Silver AT. If you go Gold again, it can then be freely converted to a Gold of the same AT, I believe.

If it's already an AT that you own, it can be freely swapped between Gold and Silver as needed.

Note that as a Silver you only have two actual character slots; you can convert more Gold toons than that to Silver, but if you should grow dissatisfied with one and want to delete it, you'll have to delete Silver characters until you only have one left. (Additional Gold characters converted to Silver occupy a sort of "virtual slot"; when a real slot opens up, that character will automatically move into it. Lost a couple of toons learning that one...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Hmm... I'm finding it tough choosing an AT. I like scrapping and tanking, but the options for both aren't that great. Both the melee power choices use swords, which I'm not really into. No claws (Wolverine style, and the primary of my main scrapper on CoH) or Dark mastery. Tanker choices are ice and super strength... No stone summoning or fire manipulation. The choices for totally free players are piss poor.

I tried to unlock a powerset, but supposedly need Zen. On the Perfect World website, it says I have to purchase it with real money, but there's nowhere telling me how much it is to purchase. So I go through the process, thinking it may tell me somewhere along it how much Zen is, but no... I have to have a level 10 toon to purchase Zen at all.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hmm... I'm finding it tough choosing an AT. I like scrapping and tanking, but the options for both aren't that great. Both the melee power choices use swords, which I'm not really into. No claws (Wolverine style, and the primary of my main scrapper on CoH) or Dark mastery. Tanker choices are ice and super strength... No stone summoning or fire manipulation. The choices for totally free players are piss poor.

I tried to unlock a powerset, but supposedly need Zen. On the Perfect World website, it says I have to purchase it with real money, but there's nowhere telling me how much it is to purchase. So I go through the process, thinking it may tell me somewhere along it how much Zen is, but no... I have to have a level 10 toon to purchase Zen at all.

$1 equals 100 Zen. It's pretty straight forward. Also, Champions gives you the option to actually work and earn Zen through the game by earning Questionite and converting it to Zen, though the market fluctuates based on the players. Last I looked it was 165-ish Questionite for 1 Zen, but that was the other day, it might have gone up or down from there.

As far as a wolverine style AT, the closest you might find is the newest one that released. It's more batmanish, but it has claw attacks in it; This is the Night Avenger. In the long run I might suggest getting a freeform character, that would be your best option. However, once you hit level 10, you start gaining spec tree options which opens up pretty much a bran new world for you at that point to.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    How long do you think it'd take to save up enough Questionite for 1500 Zen. I want to unlock the Night Avenger AT, and that's how much Zen it costs.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    If you got 8000 Q a day (the limit) you could probably get 1500 Zen in about 3 weeks maybe a bit more. Of course, this will strongly depend on how much the market fluctuates, again its player controlled.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    How long do you think it'd take to save up enough Questionite for 1500 Zen. I want to unlock the Night Avenger AT, and that's how much Zen it costs.

all ATs only cost 1,150,and for the save time,if you grind nemcon and alert dailies on all of your toons and hit that 8K refinement cap on all of them,I'd say about 2 or 3 weeks,depends on how many toons you have if you do it that way
  • Options
    edited September 2012

If you need a hand getting set up, I can give you some global to use. Possibly see if I can offer anything else to.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    grapemoussegrapemousse Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd say the most Wolverine/Scrapper-like character is The Savage, what with the regeneration and the bestiality and the claw-hands.

LIFETIMER since 23/01/2012 || Join Date: Sep 2009

Can be reached in-game as @PoochieHellhound

Support me on YouTube!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the offer championshewolf.

I'll look into The Savage. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    goestohgoestoh Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi, I'm James and I am a former CoH player. With the game closing down soon, I thought I'd check out the alternatives. I tried DCUO in the past, but wasn't fond of it at all. When CO was first released, I bought it and played it for about a month. Although I enjoyed it, I just couldn't stay away from CoH. Now, I am going to give CO another try. I have a question though. The download from the Perfect World website and the Steam download of the game, are they different from one another? If I downloaded the game off Steam, would I be able to play it using an account created on the Perfect World website?

Oh, and my global name on CoH is CheeseSlicer, and I'm from Union server... Just so you know :D

Hi. similar situation here. Also decided to give this a try. but I?m having problems with the download. I clicked on the download button. I downloaded a 2mb file. I?m guessing it?s the launcher. I clicked on that file and it begins, but nothing happens and after a minute or two I get a popup window that says it cannot find internet activity.

anyone know a way around this? I tried to find a server status page just in case it was that but did not see one.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys, don't forget the handy-dandy surveys! Once you get a hang of those, if they're available to you, you can get enough Zen for an archetype in just a couple of days. :)

Goestoh - try running the game in Administrator mode?
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    goestohgoestoh Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys, don't forget the handy-dandy surveys! Once you get a hang of those, if they're available to you, you can get enough Zen for an archetype in just a couple of days. :)

Goestoh - try running the game in Administrator mode?

yeah tried launching the installer in Admin mode but same situation: says no internet connectivity
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I'd actually advise against surveys for anybody,the reason why being in one of the links in my sig,but if you want free Zen,just grind Questionite for it,its also pretty fast
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    goestoh wrote: »
    yeah tried launching the installer in Admin mode but same situation: says no internet connectivity
    Turn off your Firewalls and Virus protection, and then try again. For some Virus/Firewall systems you need to implement the correct exceptions to allow the Launcher to connect to the Servers. This happened with my a while back.

I keep my McAfee set fairly high and it stopped the Launcher from connecting due to pathing changes Cryptic has recently made. Once I implemented a half-dozen new exceptions into McAfee averything started working fine again.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I did the Alienware offer for the free costume parts, and it hasn't compromised anything on my computer.
  • Options
    photonhammerphotonhammer Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    same boat as cheese here, new player fleeing the sinking ship.

note for cheese: they have a 3 month sub deal, 30 bucks for 3 months, gold membership seems to open up ALOT of options. nice that the 3 month coincides with the what time we have left on our last game, i see it as a brilliant transition plan!

i will definitely need to figure out this zen thing, there are a lot of costume sets that i NEED to get!!

freeform character seems awesome, but complicated for a newbie, went with a hybrid character for my first, probably do freeform for my third toon, will need to get past the learning curve.

can some vet here point to a place where we can get build advise? i have no idea how to build a character in this game, or even how the slotting/skill point/whatever system works. is there a newbie guide with training wheels?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ways to get Zen:

1) Subscribe, and there is a stipend of 500 Zen per month.

2) Look for stores that sell Perfect World cards (in the US, that's largely Wal*mart and GameStop). They come in denominations of $10 or $20, or 1000 or 2000 Zen.

3) Gather Questionite in-game and trade it for Zen in the Questionite Exchange. Downside here is that unless you're pretty high-level, it can take a while for the Q to accumulate; keep an eye out for those one-hour spans where taking out any mob grants you 5 Q in addition to anything you might get from certain bosses (or your Nemesis).

4) Peanut Labs surveys. Caveat emptor, of course, and if it starts asking for info you're not comfortable with handing out, shut it down; but the Netflix offer worked well for me - gave me 1300 Zen, and the kids really enjoy getting to watch their shows any time they can pry my iPhone loose from my hands. :) Caution: Some people have reported that they never received their Zen from this offer. Overall, though, I would advise sticking to the "free" offers, which usually just want you to take a survey or watch a video - they don't pay off as big as the others, but my perception is that the malware potential is lower, and that way nobody calls you. (Also, if they want an email address, give them one that you don't mind getting bombarded with spam - I used my Yahoo! address. If you don't have a spare one right now, Gmail is free...)

5) Purchase directly through the website. Some folks are uncomfortable with this, as it requires giving PWE your credit-card info (they promise to delete it immediately after the transaction clears, and as far as I can tell they do, but if it makes you uncomfortable, it's not the only way). There are a number of denominations available that way - I think it tops out at $50/5000 Zen, but if you really want more you can always buy multiple times.

Also remember that there are currently two subscription options: the recurring $15/mo (and its cousin, the recurring $30/3 mo offer that may go away soon), and $300 for a Lifetime sub (which gets you sixteen Gold slots, all the other bennies of a Gold sub, and veteran rewards every 100 days).

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I've made well over 30 bucks' worth of free Zen just by doing the surveys, and haven't seen a single bit of malware or spam or anything. Just as long as you do SURVEYS and not OFFERS, you won't have to give out any very personal info (age and zip code).
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    goestoh wrote: »
    Hi. similar situation here. Also decided to give this a try. but I?m having problems with the download. I clicked on the download button. I downloaded a 2mb file. I?m guessing it?s the launcher. I clicked on that file and it begins, but nothing happens and after a minute or two I get a popup window that says it cannot find internet activity.

anyone know a way around this? I tried to find a server status page just in case it was that but did not see one.

Any ideas?

Are by any chance running Lavasoft Adware? That thing is SOOOO hyper-paranoid that it won't let the game through at all, ever. You have to disable it entirely to launch the game, which it seems to consider a particularly severe form of Malware.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I've made well over 30 bucks' worth of free Zen just by doing the surveys, and haven't seen a single bit of malware or spam or anything. Just as long as you do SURVEYS and not OFFERS, you won't have to give out any very personal info (age and zip code).

Case in point: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=163251
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Is there a thread with a list of survey's that aren't scams, and definitely give you Zen?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Is there a thread with a list of survey's that aren't scams, and definitely give you Zen?
    None of them are scams, but that doesn't mean each person qualifies for any particular one. For example, if a Survey is looking for women who work part-time and you get half-way through and answer that you're a man working full-time you're going to get bounced out.

I've done 15 Surveys so far - I don't do the Offers - and have been now paid on 10 of them. The others kicked me out in the process due to the way I answered a question.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yea, part of PW's income comes from ad revenue. Probably would help in some small way if they put ads on the billboards and signs in game with Champions.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yea, part of PW's income comes from ad revenue. Probably would help in some small way if they put ads on the billboards and signs in game with Champions.

You know I suggested this exact thing a few months ago and I got a sizable amount of grief from other players about it? With the forum switchover fiasco I lost my signature and thus the link to the topic...

Maybe I can get lucky with search, hold on...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    You know I suggested this exact thing a few months ago and I got a sizable amount of grief from other players about it? With the forum switchover fiasco I lost my signature and thus the link to the topic...

Maybe I can get lucky with search, hold on...

I've always been pro ads in the game world since real life ads would fit in a modern city setting. Considering it would be billboards I've never, for the life of me, understood the hate people give for it since it wouldn't be on loading screens or pop ups, something a lot of people erroneously believe it would be. But then again I want my game to survive, not die.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've always been pro ads in the game world since real life ads would fit in a modern city setting. Considering it would be billboards I've never, for the life of me, understood the hate people give for it since it wouldn't be on loading screens or pop ups, something a lot of people erroneously believe it would be. But then again I want my game to survive, not die.

Agreed.

To me, seeing a Coca Cola logo or ad on a billboard would actually increase immersion.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

None of the surveys are guaranteed to give you anything, but if you can figure out what they're usually looking for, it's easy and relatively quick free money. Tips - you don't know anyone in advertizing, and you're interested in every product imaginable. :biggrin:
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Agreed.

To me, seeing a Coca Cola logo or ad on a billboard would actually increase immersion.

Same. People get aaaangry though when you mention ads. "I SEE ENOUGH OF THEM ON THE FREEWAY! RAAAGE!" :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So... Smackwell, Ashensnow, Silverspar... Will you officially support that idea/suggestion thread then? :smile:

I did send a few emails to Cryptic about it, got no response. I don't know who I need to contact...

I also sent an advertiser inquiry to KFC, which has their corporate HQ near to where I live.

Like I had said repeatedly in the topic, food advertisements will be most effective in a game. Speaking of which thinking of that makes me realize it's dinner time. I'm going to go get some Rally's fries :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm gold! I went for three month option as it's currently 17.99.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm gold! I went for three month option as it's currently 17.99.
    I do notice a bit of a gold aura around your avatar. Congratz. :)