test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

One less competitor -- CoH to close down

quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
It was announced today that City of Heroes is shutting down. This should be a positive for Champions Online, I would think.

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php
LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    WOW.

I wasn't a huge fan of the game, but it's sad to see it go.

Man, what a bummer.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    ethanmorriganethanmorrigan Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That is somehow strange, i just thought yesterday about to check CoH out and now it goes offline. It's sad to hear, but maybe it's THE chance to get a bigger playerbase to CO. Especially if they add a villain version like in CoH.

Formerly known as Rei_Kisagi

• Options
    akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Say it aint so; the game that introduced me to Cryptic. :frown:
    Well it was a sweet run while it lasted.
  • Options
    khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As much as it is wanted to celebrate the success of Champions Online over one of it's rivals, it's important to note that Champions Online would not have been made if not for the creation of City of Heroes.

City of Heroes -is- a good game. It was innovative at the time of it's release, and predates World of ********. It's character creation options were unseen prior to its release, and it became the banner standard to which other games' character creation options were measured. It continued to innovate as it grew, including user-created content and a unique item system.

Its lore is just as complex and detailed as any comic company, and easily is one of the main draws to the game. Combined with an equally complex community, it's no wonder that the game lasted as long as it did. It was a good solid game, and it's had its run.

As far as the story is concerned, I suppose you could see the last update as a gearing up for the shutdown of the game. I feel that competition is vital to this industry, and if not for that competition, Champions Online may not be as wonderful a product as it is.

I will miss you, City of Heroes. I have fond memories and hope to see more from this company in the future.
  • Options
    ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very sad to see CoX ride off into the sunset- I spent a lot of time in that city. I prefer CO, however, so I'm hoping this will mean more players (and money) for Millennium City.
  • Options
    ethanmorriganethanmorrigan Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very sad to see CoX ride off into the sunset- I spent a lot of time in that city. I prefer CO, however, so I'm hoping this will mean more players (and money) for Millennium City.

And with the maybe more moneymore devs working on the game.

Formerly known as Rei_Kisagi

• Options
    xgcoxgco Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow... that is so sad. That was one of the first major MMO's I ever got into and I was probably with it until the first year of Champions Online. I take no pride in their demise.
  • Options
    mistformsquirrelmistformsquirrel Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    WOW.

I wasn't a huge fan of the game, but it's sad to see it go.

Man, what a bummer.

Seriously. I'm actually kinda angry now; there's no reason for this - I was *just there* two weeks ago, the game was alive and kicking, new stuff was coming in at a regular rate... the only reason I left again this most recent time is because I've put more hours into COH than any other game I've played, ever.

So many characters soon to be lost too... cripes. I had at least a hundred.

I admit, this is... disheartening.

Check out my Champions Online webcomic in progress!

Annoying people since 2009!
  • Options
    angelightncgangelightncg Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    THis has me a bit sad.

I remember seeing City of Heroes back in 2004, fresh out of high school and winning a gift card at the senior graduation after party. I used it to pick it up and I remember half the wonderful memories I got from it. Super heroes were fascinating, it captured my imagination and I came to a realization just how much I loved superheroes. It was my waking moment and, well, here I am today.

I wouldn't be here if not for that game.

I'm saddened but I am happy for the awesome memories I have of it. And no, I wouldn't take this sign of 'THE END TIMES' for CO as I am sure the doom and gloom is coming VERY SOON with this thread. Its just something NCSoft decided to do, close down Paragon Studios and its really sad.

City of Heroes was the start. And although Luficia will be retired officially now(My character from that game), her "legacy" continues onward in other games I play.

I salute to you, City of Heroes. You will be missed but what you did for future superhero MMOs that we have today? It won't be forgotten.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I heard some rather good things from this game. Never played it myself but I have a friend who is an avid player of it. Never fun to see a game get shut down, but hopefully they move on to bigger and better things.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    bjturnerbjturner Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Without CoH, there wouldn't be a CO. Let's remember to be respectful to our predecessor. I had a lot of good times playing CoH on my parents' crappy Dell desktop.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

[SIGPIC]Yeah, I'm blakerefuge.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That was my 1st MMO, R.I.P.:frown:

I only wish Cryptic would look into picking up some of the Paragon Studios devs to come and make a new zone or AP.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    sl1ckm1stersl1ckm1ster Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well now its Champs vs DCUO, and soon Marvel.
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    City of Heroes was the one game my friends and I all played together. We had a great time for close to three years. So sad to see it go.
    edited August 2012
    Not happy about it.
    Good game.
    Fun times there.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am apocalyptically angry about this.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I only wish Cryptic would look into picking up some of the Paragon Studios devs to come and make a new zone or AP.
    That was among my first thoughts when I read the news here - "Well, there are now several programmers, with experience working with a superhero MMO, who are probably looking for work..."
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Seriously. I'm actually kinda angry now; there's no reason for this - I was *just there* two weeks ago, the game was alive and kicking, new stuff was coming in at a regular rate... the only reason I left again this most recent time is because I've put more hours into COH than any other game I've played, ever.

So many characters soon to be lost too... cripes. I had at least a hundred.

I admit, this is... disheartening.

I feel the same way. This is just a shock. Competition was a healthy thing for both games, and I enjoyed both games. CoH was bar none one of the single best games I have ever played, and I am dismayed at its closure. I .. simply fail to understand it being shut down.

I was going to buy Guild Wars 2, but it seems NC waited until after GW2 came out to announce this. As such, NC instead of taking my money, can kiss my rear. Majority of my MMO money will continue to go to Cryptic in STO and CO.
    [center][i]♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪[/i][/center]
  • Options
    oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    That was among my first thoughts when I read the news here - "Well, there are now several programmers, with experience working with a superhero MMO, who are probably looking for work..."
    I wouldn't be surprised if they get hired by Cryptic.

...And then put in STO or NW.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very sad. I played CoH for eighteen months a launch. It was the first MMO I put a lot of time into, and will forever have a soft spot in my heart.

Rest well, Paragon City.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    ferrolhoferrolho Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is really sad and really odd at the same time, they just recently converted to F2P and now they are shutting down both Paragon Studious and CoH. :confused:
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is kind of surprising. Not just the game shutting down so soon after moving to F2P, but also that's being shut down as opposed to simply being put into maintenance mode.

Odd, and disappointing. CoX was the first MMO I ever actually enjoyed playing.
  • Options
    ktm1ktm1 Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i am really saddened by this, i see the positives.
    -potential customers
    -less competition
    -potential additions to cryptic staff

but i cannot help but feel nostalgic about coh. was not my first mmo, but was definitely my first hero mmo. i fell in love with it right from the start. the story, zones, customisation all drew me in.

champs has a few more things going for it, but i cant help feel like its an old friend passing away, that i have fell out of contact with in the past couple years.

r.i.p. City Of Heroes.
    space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    This is kind of surprising. Not just the game shutting down so soon after moving to F2P, but also that's being shut down as opposed to simply being put into maintenance mode.

Odd, and disappointing. CoX was the first MMO I ever actually enjoyed playing.

It wasn't even doing bad. There are a LOT of people playing that game, and a LOT of subscribers still. Almost every person I see is wearing something or using something that was bought on the Paragon Store.

this is just typical NC. It's profitable, but not profitable enough, so instead of laying off some folks so they can continue to afford running the game.. they just shut it off.

This IS the kind of genius I expect from NC, and fat chance of NC letting anyone get the rights to it. They hold onto IPs with a vice grip, even if they could make money by selling them (like Tabula Rasa and so many others).
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I literally felt sick when I saw the news... This was my first MMO too. I feel bad for the developers, and the players who both spent so much time with this game that it became a part of them. I can't see any good in this.
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Damnit, now I'm in tears.

I wouldn't be who am I today without CoH.

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to spend some time with her before she passes.

Also, you guys here at Cryptic should pick up their writers. I loved CoX for their writing, and I love you guys for your customization. Having both here would be wonderous.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Man thats grim ....i have no good words to say to NC Soft the game wasnt empty it still had plenty of players.

They close CoH but leave an non event like Lineage one and two running :/

Mad.

I will PM all my CoH crew and get them over here.

Was the first ever MMO P.A.I.N inc raised its evil head...CoH the forces of evil salute you o.o<
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    malvou wrote: »
    Also, you guys here at Cryptic should pick up their writers. I loved CoX for their writing, and I love you guys for your customization. Having both here would be wonderous.

Oh heck yeah! One of the big draws of COH was the lore after all < . .>

• Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    im sorry for it closing it down, but after freedom launched they nickel and dimed the free players, things that should have been free werent. things like nightward. after i read about i24 i quit playing city of.

i dont mind that the golds got alot, bit they only deved for them, and not gave anything to the frees.

i will login on the last 2 days it desirves that much, but in total i really dont care.
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As much as it is wanted to celebrate the success of Champions Online over one of it's rivals, it's important to note that Champions Online would not have been made if not for the creation of City of Heroes.

City of Heroes -is- a good game. It was innovative at the time of it's release, and predates World of ********. It's character creation options were unseen prior to its release, and it became the banner standard to which other games' character creation options were measured. It continued to innovate as it grew, including user-created content and a unique item system.

Its lore is just as complex and detailed as any comic company, and easily is one of the main draws to the game. Combined with an equally complex community, it's no wonder that the game lasted as long as it did. It was a good solid game, and it's had its run.

As far as the story is concerned, I suppose you could see the last update as a gearing up for the shutdown of the game. I feel that competition is vital to this industry, and if not for that competition, Champions Online may not be as wonderful a product as it is.

I will miss you, City of Heroes. I have fond memories and hope to see more from this company in the future.

I was about to write my own long and detailed post, but you Sir, have said all I was going to say.

A Salute to City of Heroes. I'll miss you.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Speaking as somebody whose main character was created during CoH's beta (and kept that CoH lore in the CO version's back story), this is a total stomach punch. They were giving away codes for new power sets yesterday on Twitter, so I think they got blindsided, too.
    this is just typical NC. It's profitable, but not profitable enough, so instead of laying off some folks so they can continue to afford running the game.. they just shut it off.

Sounds like they killed Paragon Studios to prop up A Certain Well-Known Korean Game Whose Name Begins With "A". It's been losing money this year.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Sounds like they killed Paragon Studios to prop up A Certain Well-Known Korean Game Whose Name Begins With "A". It's been losing money this year.

I'd love to pretend I were actually shocked, but... No, not with NCSoft. Not after what they did to Tabula Rasa.

On the upside, they have absolutely nothing I want now, so in saying they won't be seeing any of my money anytime soon well.. it's not a hard promise to keep.

• Options
    siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is very unfortunate. Like a lot of other people posting I too did my time in Paragon City, patrolling the mean streets of King's Row.
    Did you know that Statesmen was originally Mr. Emmert's toon in the Champions table top game?

I hope their's a silver lining for all those great people at Paragon and that some of them come over to Cryptic....and not get assigned to Never Winter or STO but to Champions :biggrin:
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe Cryptic can pick up some of Paragon's developers on the cheap. Times are tough...
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm very sad to read this.

With my partner, we found out about Champions Online because we wanted to play City of Heroes, but it wasn't free to play then and we didn't have the cash to buy a sub.

It will be missed :c

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That's nuts; it seemed CoX was doing great despite its age. Chalk up another fellow who played back in the day.

After a bit of reading into it, the decision for NCSoft to drop Paragon Studios might've rooted from this.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That is somehow strange, i just thought yesterday about to check CoH out and now it goes offline. It's sad to hear, but maybe it's THE chance to get a bigger playerbase to CO. Especially if they add a villain version like in CoH.

Its closing because the playerbase left for other MMOS.
    They certainly didn't swarm over here.
    DC has two F2P mmo's with hero/villian factions and globally recognized IP.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm so disoriented right now. I still just can't get over it.

In-game they were saying it's going down on November 30th.

So if you still have respects to pay, you should head right on over. I know I will.
  • Options
    stoleviathan99stoleviathan99 Posts: 7,453 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Let me toss this wild dream scenario out there:

What if Cryptic could buy up the IP and stage it like an intercompany crossover here?

Would that interest people?

I think it would be awesome if we could visit Atlas Park, at least.

Probably not realistic but what's NCSoft going to do with that IP?
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2012

What if Cryptic could buy up the IP and stage it like an intercompany crossover here?

NCSoft is going to clutch onto the IP like the miserly bastards they are. If you want proof of that, look at Tabula Rasa. **** them, I was planning on giving GW2 a spin for fun, now there's no way I would open up my wallet for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Shoot it in the head, toss it in a ditch, and drive away.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

It would be a dream lol. My main character has ties to Arachnos. He was sent in through the Project Destiny portal for a mission for Lord Recluse and got stuck in MC during the Qularr attack. Would be nice to go back =P
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Posts: 1,748 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    From what I understand, Paragon studios was born out of Cryptic. It would be nice if a sort of rejoining could occur. If Cryptic (and Rich Uncle Moneybags, PWE) wanted to make a bold move, they should try and pick up as much talent from the soon to be closed Paragon as possible.
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Its really sad to see CoX go....it was one of the best superhero MMORPGs out there,no offense to CO,but it was a good game none the less,and its very sad to see it go.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That would be all sorts of wonderful :D

Yeah they could bring back Statesman \o/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    ussnighthawkussnighthawk Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I spend most of my time on CoH, but will occasionally play around here and DC. Livid I think is the word that best describes my feelings right now, though I haven't totally given up on the sliver of hope that someone with deep pockets or a game studio were to buy the game off of NC. Hell, I'd almost laugh if Cryptic/PWE bought back CoH. More than anything though, it'd be great to see some of the fine folks of Paragon Studios be given a home here (or being re-given a home, since I think some were Cryptic devs when they had the IP).

No relation to "the" Nighthawk.

Refugee from Paragon City. :(

[SIGPIC]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/FacesOfNighthawk-ForumSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well this is really, really sad to happen... I guess its the eventual death that most MMOs face at some point or other (there are exceptions like EQ though).

I never played CoX but I always heard about it, needless to say this is a sad day.

Which makes me wish that it doesn't happen to CO anytime soon... hopefully not since at the moment Cryptic Studios seems to be doing "fine" to be shut down suddenly by PWE.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    cascadence wrote: »
    Well this is really, really sad to happen... I guess its the eventual death that most MMOs face at some point or other (there are exceptions like EQ though).

I never played CoX but I always heard about it, needless to say this is a sad day.

Which makes me wish that it doesn't happen to CO anytime soon... hopefully not since at the moment Cryptic Studios seems to be doing "fine" to be shut down suddenly by PWE.

Neverwinter is on the horizon, Cryptic Studios is doing fine, great even, and there is nothing to fear on that front.
  • Options
    thetwilightedthetwilighted Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I certainly wouldn't call this a cause for celebration. If anything, Cryptic should take this as a cautionary tale, especially considering the state of the last few patches they've released for CO, and the somewhat underwhelming response to STO.

I'll miss CoH. A lot of good memories there. The game was showing it's age, but I wish they could have found some way to update the graphics or something and keep going.

It's like hearing that the house you grew up in is being torn down to make way for a Wal-Mart parking lot.
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I, myself played CoH (never really got into CoV) from I#8 to I#14.

(Issue# 6 was "Enhancement Diversification which i'm glad i missed)

I'm a long time fan of Champions the PnP IP, so it took some getting used to.
    Because of my loyalty to the Champions IP, i'm not embarrased to say when CO launched, i stopped playing CoH.

I did like ALOT of some things that CoX had that CO still doesn't though:
    • Thigh High Stilleto Boots
    • Auras
    • Dual Travel Power Usage
    • Taskforces
    • Tabbed Chat Windows
    • Colored Chat Channels
    • (did i mention "Thigh High Stilleto Boots"? :redface:)

While i went back for F2P, it just didn't have the same FEEL to it.
    So i didn't stick around.

But i'll still have a fond place in my heart for the ole' girl :biggrin:

She was my first MMO...
    ...And you never forget your "first" do you :tongue:

EDIT: I wonder how many "Hey dude! Been a while! Any openings over at Cryptic?" phone calls are going to be made over the weekend?
    There can be only one...
    :cool:'Caine
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
This discussion has been closed.