test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transfer devs back from other games to CO plus some extra

battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Suggestions Box
Superheros are BIG right now. From box office smashes to kids cartoons on tv filled with superhero stuff its a big part of popular culture and CO is a great game and a great opportunity for bussiness especially precisely because it isn't trapped in the limitations of the big two comic publishers enabling more flexibility and more scope for personalised superheroics.

But it has been starved of resources for other projects lately and thats wasting a lot of opportunities. Letting Champions diminish too far would be a catastrophic error. If CO isn't doing as well as Trek which has never recovered from the backlash against enterprise of D&D also decades past its heyday and now has vast amounts of competition in the fantasy market (and i say that as a lifelong trek fan and i've played D&D since 1986 on a nearly weekly basis) then someone has been stuffing up royally.

So transfer more resources temporarily to CO to stabilise things and help boost content development to help keep longterm players playing and keep new players becoming long-term players.

This may slow things down a little on the D&D stuff and STO but they have foundry don't they? So they can get by on less anyway. CO has long lasting appeal and precisely because it isn't tied to a big corporation could be kept rolling well past the likely expiration of the other licences and the stupid petty bureacrat decisions that have harmed both franchises in the past.

CO is too good an opportunity not to keep strong and keep growing.
the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
Post edited by battybattybats on

Comments

• Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Superhero games are not big.
    Else Champions would be swarming with people, it isn't.
    This weekend's population is a measurable drop from last weekends.

DC would also be jam packed with people but its daily population is 3,000 less
    than it was when it hit Steam back whenever that was.
    Still beating CO with an ugly stick though.

Batman enjoyed a rise to glory in gaming this summer on $11 for the
    franchise sales and 91/100 metacritic score.
    Supposedly the best combat in any game ever.
    If it had character customization I'd have been all over it.
    But instead its just..The Dork Knight. Zzzzzz.
    So Cryptic copies that success and rides into town with a buggy update
    way too late when their American player base is shuffling back to school.
    Brilliant.

Marvel and DC franchise sells well. Knock off wannabes don't.

Cryptic knows that fantasy sells.
    Even in a competitive MMO market fantasy games rule over all the other genres.
    Thats why the same stuff keeps dripping out of the game development hole.
    Elf turds are magical and turn into money, donchaknow.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This weekend's population is a measurable drop from last weekends.

Not really getting into anything here except to simply state that Guild Wars 2 did just come out, so that could explain for a large portion of the playerbase.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Many will agree with you here but at this point I doubt anything will change.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A new, highly-anticipated game just came out. Every time this happens, there's a temporary, but sharp, drop in the game population.

Additionally, the patch instituted on Friday broke lots of things. There's going to be a fair number of people who aren't playing the New Shiny, but who don't want to bother too much with CO until this new thing is fixed.

One data point does not a trend make.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Here's hoping that Cryptic resources get distributed amongst all its games after Neverwinter comes out (and the inevitable bug storm that it will have to suffer after release).
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    One data point does not a trend make.

Maybe you haven't been watching the numbers for 14 months, I have.
    This drop in population is not temporary.
    The influx of returning players for On Alert was temporary, shooting up from
    below 540 a weekend to near 800 Steam logins a weekend and diving back down around 600 in two weeks.
    Game fell completely off the charts with less than 560 logins for a weekend about
    four weeks ago, before the other game and before school started back up in the States.

Other F2P games are coming soon to compete for player attention.
    I beta tested three games this month.

New Champions super group is at something like #380.
    380 * 498 players is 189,240 new accounts since January.
    That doesn't even count last years logins when the game went F2P, was promoted
    on Seam and had 12,000 or so logins a day for a short burst.
    Those numbers are almost entirely people that didn't come back.

I knew I should have copy and pasted numbers for the last year, then
    I could have a cool looking chart to show off. But I figured actually being able
    to visualize the downward trend would depress the crap out of me.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Superhero games are not big.
    Else Champions would be swarming with people, it isn't.

I don't see anything particular to the superhero genre that'd make it less successful in the medium of gaming than film, tv, cartoons, comics, toys, toothbrushes, stationary etc. So why are they less big currently?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I don't see anything particular to the superhero genre that'd make it less successful in the medium of gaming than film, tv, cartoons, comics, toys, toothbrushes, stationary etc. So why are they less big currently?

With a toy a mom doesn't have to watch her kid like a hawk in fear some pervert in a superman suit is going to come ERP them. Best of all a toy keeps the kid busy in the backseat of the car or while 'Uncle Nick' is visiting.
    Moms readily buy toys for their kids, even though the cheap chinese hunk of plastic
    will get ignored and neglected for all time after just a few hours, if even that.
    Why do moms do this? Because they are dumb.
    The entire toy industry is built around easily impressed kids and really dumb moms.

Movies are passive and provide 90 minutes of pure escape.
    No controls to master, no gear to grind, just sit back and hope nobody starts shooting.
    Mom's pay the extra ticket to go see movies with their kids, they don't, in majority, pay
    for extra subscriptions to MMOs to play with their kids. Even though the price is nearly the same now!
    I think with the sub discount three movies cost more than three months of this game.

Comics aren't doing all that hot, never have. They've been an industry in crisis since they began.
    Licensing the characters is what saved these comics companies.
    $100,000 to put Superman on a toothbrush in South Africa?
    Another hundred grand for the spanish language toothbrush?
    Sure, we'll take the money for absolutely no work on our part, here's some S-man clipart we've been using since 1974.

Toothbrushes, stationary, etc are licensed to auxiliary corporations primarily as an
    advertising vehicle to create and maintain brand awareness and loyalty.
    You may see hundreds of these products in stores, doesn't mean they sell well.
    They don't have to, they are practically free and effective advertising.

Champions doesn't have any of this reach.
    There are no "Defender Penetrate The Other Side" personal lubricants or Foxbat 9 ton
    lunch boxes or Witchcraft Double XP Boost push up bras to remind people about the game.
    Even if they offered such items it would take millions of dollars in marketing to
    make people aware that Defender, Foxbat and Witchcraft are associated with this game.
    This would have to be a multi-national, multi-language, long term campaign.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Probably doesn't help that I haven't seen any press about CO or ads for it in about 2 years.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe you haven't been watching the numbers for 14 months, I have.
    This drop in population is not temporary.
    The influx of returning players for On Alert was temporary, shooting up from
    below 540 a weekend to near 800 Steam logins a weekend and diving back down around 600 in two weeks.
    Game fell completely off the charts with less than 560 logins for a weekend about
    four weeks ago, before the other game and before school started back up in the States.

Other F2P games are coming soon to compete for player attention.
    I beta tested three games this month.

New Champions super group is at something like #380.
    380 * 498 players is 189,240 new accounts since January.
    That doesn't even count last years logins when the game went F2P, was promoted
    on Seam and had 12,000 or so logins a day for a short burst.
    Those numbers are almost entirely people that didn't come back.

I knew I should have copy and pasted numbers for the last year, then
    I could have a cool looking chart to show off. But I figured actually being able
    to visualize the downward trend would depress the crap out of me.

Are you taking your numbers from steam? If so there probably wrong CO was out a long time before it was available on steam and then vanished from steam when it went free to play for a good chunk of time its not a stretch to believe that there are several people there for that do not use steam to play. For example me I use steam when playing from my main PC but just use the client directly from else where.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Superheroes are a niche market for MMO's there's no getting around it.

See Here-

Fantasy MMOs are 85%+

Sci Fi 10%

And.. we're in that last bit of 4.9% ....someplace..

There nothing we can do about that, to make matters worse we have competition for this tiny market share, CO and DCUO.

Could CO try and take that share? Maybe, but they'd have to try a lot harder and .. well, that takes money.

Will we get more money?

Probably not.

That said there are many things to love about being in a niche game. It's kind of like being in a small town really...

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Superheroes are a niche market for MMO's there's no getting around it.

See Here-

Fantasy MMOs are 85%+

Sci Fi 10%

And.. we're in that last bit of 4.9% ....someplace..

There nothing we can do about that, to make matters worse we have competition for this tiny market share, CO and DCUO.

Could CO try and take that share? Maybe, but they'd have to try a lot harder and .. well, that takes money.

Will we get more money?

Probably not.

That said there are many things to love about being in a niche game. It's kind of like being in a small town really...

I would say that's only because no one has done it right super heroes used to be nich movie market as well now look at them.

all it needs is for a company to actually put the work in.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I would say that's only because no one has done it right super heroes used to be nich movie market as well now look at them.

all it needs is for a company to actually put the work in.

I concur, they used to be niche cartoons too and now there's plenty of them.