test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jetpack based Jumping

deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Suggestions Box
Title says it all doesn't it?

Not a Superjump clone, but an entire new Travel Power all on its own.

It will increase your jump height slightly (to help with the initial movement) and the air traction greatly (for control because it's not really a flight TP).

You have to jump first, afterwards you hold down the jump key to ascend skyward while you're in the air. Releasing the key causes you to fall back down to the earth slowly (Like Teleport is supposed to do).

If you attempt to raise altitude while falling, you will not go straight up spontaniously, instead your Jumpjets will slow your fall until you are no longer falling and then you begin to rise upward again.

As the Travel Power increases in rank, the Jump Height, Traction, Rate of Ascension, and Max Ascension Rate do as well. The power itself will incur a pretty negative impact on the cost of your powers because of the focus you need to maintain it's usage if used in combat. It will be highly maneuverable, but hard to maintain while in the Air.
Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    /signed

it sounds like a very cool power,like a jetpack but cooler
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Kinda sounds like the old moon lander game. Would you be able to hold down the spacebar for continuous thrust, or would it be limited, (like how rocket jump's thrust only lasts a few seconds)? How much horizontal control would the power give - would you be able to make a very shallow jump, or would it always have a rather steep angle?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The plan is to use a pretty shallow jump, and the upward thrust is infinite. The air traction the power gives you should be similar to what Superjump gives you. The initial jump at Rank3 needs to provide a jump height of something like Acro/Athletics Rank1... so the Jump isn't what's going to propel you, the thrust of the actual Jets do.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Reminds me of the prototype rocket pack in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It's kind of a handy way to get around the map in that game; not as fast as a jet, and it won't fly above the missile defenses of the military bases, but you can't land a jet in the middle of Las Venturas, either...

In this particular instance, it wouldn't jump as high as Superjump (at first, anyway), nor would it fly as quickly as Jet Pack flight, but it would combine some of the benefits of both.

/signed, as I'm always interested in expanding the capabilities of this game...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sounds very similar to this one here http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Rocket_Jump !!!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    klitty wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to this one here http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Rocket_Jump !!!
    Well, no, not really. Rocket Jump is just Superjump with a rocket animation. This would be more like you jump up a little to gain some clearance, then hit the boost on your pack and slowly increase in altitude for as long as thrust is applied, slowly descending when it's throttled back - not unlike the way experimental jetpacks work in the real world. It's not as fast as Jet Pack flight, it doesn't give you the stealth of Teleport, and it doesn't jump you out of danger immediately like Super Jump; it's really more of a cross between Jet Pack and Ice Slide, mechanically speaking (and I would envision some sliding around when you try to turn, a la Ice Slide...).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, no, not really. Rocket Jump is just Superjump with a rocket animation. This would be more like you jump up a little to gain some clearance, then hit the boost on your pack and slowly increase in altitude for as long as thrust is applied, slowly descending when it's throttled back - not unlike the way experimental jetpacks work in the real world. It's not as fast as Jet Pack flight, it doesn't give you the stealth of Teleport, and it doesn't jump you out of danger immediately like Super Jump; it's really more of a cross between Jet Pack and Ice Slide, mechanically speaking (and I would envision some sliding around when you try to turn, a la Ice Slide...).

Herp derp, you are right :p

I didn't read very well the whole post, sorry >_<

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like this, as it's a touch closer to what an actual jetpack would be REALLY like to fly, with bursts of upward motion, then down, then up, which is good for the casual vigilante hero who made a jetpack in his basement, rather than the uber millionairre one with a defence contract who diverted funds from missile development to fund an epic jetpack of fluid flight.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    mrkuntamrkunta Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    wrong topic ignore post
  • Options
    edited August 2012

-snip

This would be more like you jump up a little to gain some clearance, then hit the boost on your pack and slowly increase in altitude for as long as thrust is applied, slowly descending when it's throttled back - not unlike the way experimental jetpacks work in the real world. It's not as fast as Jet Pack flight, it doesn't give you the stealth of Teleport, and it doesn't jump you out of danger immediately like Super Jump; it's really more of a cross between Jet Pack and Ice Slide, mechanically speaking

Yep.
    (and I would envision some sliding around when you try to turn, a la Ice Slide...).

That's what the air traction factor was for. It increases as you are using thrust, but you don't get any of the traction if you aren't using the thrust.

• Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As long as it is NOT a jetpack-based reskin of Rocket Jump; /signed.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    As long as it is NOT a jetpack-based reskin of Rocket Jump; /signed.

Trust me, I think this travel power is going to be hella fun since it's not.

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I read 'jetpack base jumping' and I was sold.

Then I read the post, and I was also sold.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I read 'jetpack base jumping' and I was sold.

Then I read the post, and I was also sold.

Glad you like the idea.

• Options
    rose1352rose1352 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i think that is amazing idea.:tongue:
  • Options
    bluestar1122bluestar1122 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    a very good a idea.:biggrin:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Moar posts to feed the imagination of this power actually being seen by the devs? :D ?

• Options
    xenosinfinityxxenosinfinityx Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like it. Mainly because at least one of my characters would be able to use it very effectively. Support +1.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'll see if I can't find a video that would demonstrate it's mechanics well enough for some insight in case my delineation wasn't clear enough the first post. If someone else beats me to it, make sure to post it here. :wink:

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Couldn't resist /bumping this so that others can see. I really want this to happen, along with the support gadgets I suggested... which I also need to bump...