test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Natural Disaster and Accident Alerts

battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Suggestions Box
Sometimes heroics isn't fighting the bad guys, it's rescuing people from death and disaster.

We have a little of this in the missions and i think there could be more of this.

I'd love an alert where we have to rescue people from a fire, picking them up like objects and moving through damage-dealling flames to safety!

Or smashing some objects to divert the course of the water when a dam breaks!

Or dealing with a nuclear reactor running out of control!

Or saving people on a runaway train!

These can include having different things to do at once in a time limit, so some players might carry civilians to safety while another is dealling with a series of controls and another is smashing things and if the team doesnt work together not everyone will be saved or the disaster won't be averted.
the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
Post edited by battybattybats on

Comments

• Options
    seazombie64seazombie64 Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    yes! I fully support this idea!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, not all heroes would be picking up the victims... it would be really cool if they took this fantastic idea and used it as an opportunity to expand upon the possible ways of solving the dilemma.

For instance, a tech hero may be able to repair some repair bots to clear the way and simply lead the victims out. A psionic may levitate people away in telekinetic bubbles. A sorcerer may be able to enact a ritual to summon a radiation creature to absorb the radiation an funnel it through a dimensional portal.

The key would be to allow some say on the player's part as to how their character would address the issue at hand.

A simpler idea would be to have a quick dialogue of your character telling an on-site rescue worker how they intend to save the people, then grant you a temp power to suit it - a fireman's carry for mundane types, an energy bubble for magicians/psychics, a helper bot for tech types, a pack animal for more beastly characters, and so on.

They could then give you an anti-radiation device/charm/technique as a handwave of why you could "attack" some radioactive fire to clear it from your path, (or have conveniently place relief valves or other structures you can use/attack to clear the way).

Lastly, while time pressures are good in some instances, I would like to see something included to help you if you get stuck - like let's say time is running short - you can ask the rescue worker to vent some radiation out - it buys you more time, but your reward is reduced as the outside is now contaminated and some of the reward that you were going to get has to now be used to clean that up.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    cyberruckcyberruck Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is a great idea for custom alerts.
    I like this idea because like OP said being a hero isn't all about fighting villans,also it makes the player feel more like a hero with a new style of play!
    I would love to see this in game.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    /signed

lets not forget the mandatory "save the kitty stucked in the tree" alert! <3

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is that building in Westside that's been burning since 2009, for some reason citizens keep running in there and getting stuck under debris. I think this is more evidence that Mayor Biselle has failed as mayor, either put out the fire or have police bar the area from citizens getting in.

Back on topic, I'm on board. We currently have an alert where we have to stop a train before it crashes and kills everyone. I wonder how they would get Villainless alerts to work? Are you thinking it would be a lot like the burning building mentioned above? Where you destroy debis then put out fire with the extinguisher?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If these would be implemented, the choices are that everyone would do the same thing. No matter if you're ice based hero, you would have to use the fire extinguisher to put out the flames. A young boy with big robot, you would have to pick up the victims by yourself (click them so they would run to safety..probably straight to the flames..). Telepathic powered woman using fists to smash thru walls. Big, strong muscle guy with little brain knowing the right buttons to shut down the nuclear reactors meltdown... Or Cryptic makes multiple choices for multiple heroes.

We can allready prevent runaway train accident...rescue people under the rubble, put out the fires with an fire extingusher(and people still run to the flames...).
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    put out the fires with an fire extingusher(and people still run to the flames...).

I'm sick of you for blaming the people, this whole problem is on Mayor Biselle. Teenagers are going to keep running into that building to get the thrill of being saved by a Superhero as long as the city does nothing about blocking the entrance or finally gets around to putting out the fire.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It neednt be too complicated.

For starters if they made civilians that can be picked up like objects then they'd have a strength requirement for that like many objects already do, and carrying a person would be feasible over a short distance for most heroes, all but the weakest.

While the existing fire extinguisher alert is cute sure some characters would make more sense to use their own powers. Most powers could be used to suppress flames with, even fire can be used against fire! (such as burning away a pocket of oxygen imediately feeding the flames causing the flames to briefly die down). The ice hero can use ice against the fire, the wind can do so too, the psi one can telekinetically supress the flames... all by using their existing attacks against them! Sure it falls down with some attacks but in the main just attacking the fire makes sense. But it'd regenerate swiftly, so it's just cause a brief die-down enough to make it easier to carry people through.

Stronger players carry the victims through the flames, the others can attack the flames to reduce the damage taken by the strong folk carrying the civilians. Maybe have an interactable object, working like the bell in hi-pan, for those heroes who couldn't see their powers having any effect on the flames. Or extinguishers that can be picked up. (couldn't the fire be given resistences as an option? Then some powers would work fine like Ice and others there's the extinguishers if people need them to keep the alert fair for everyone, have a stage where people grab the devices and only when thats done can th next stage start, like in the Harmon Labs alert with the power armour... but useful items this time!).

As for less tech-savvy characters and controls.. the missions already assume a certain technical capacity already (shutting down psionic-doomsday devices for example) so why not alerts? And if a player doesn't see their hero having that technical knowledge then have them take up a different role, so while the tech-savvies are using the nuclear power station control panels the strong less-tech heroes can be forcing open emergency coolant doors by hand.

We can have multiple avenues for people to contribute to success and perhaps not even have any of them needed by themselves, no strong-woman in the team? Then everyone handles the controls and levers, no techies? Then everyone helps get those emergency water doors open and ignores the control panels.

Having different ways to do the same alert, essentially just different looking interaction objects that have the same result but visually and thematically quite different, would neatly give both diversity and fairness and simplicity.

There's lots of ways to do this without going against the grain and concept of most heroes. We already have things in-game for freeing civilians (but carrying them would be way cooler!), fighting fires, inoculating the diseased, using control panels, attacking objects, pulling levers.... the essential stuff is there already and used in missions already.
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A building fire in Millennium City, a tsunami about to hit Monster Island, a flooding hurricane about to hit Vibora Bay, a major blizzard rolling through the Canadian Wildnerness... all of these can involve simply rescuing civilians from danger. I think it could be done as a part of the regular Alert cycle.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm sick of you for blaming the people, this whole problem is on Mayor Biselle. Teenagers are going to keep running into that building to get the thrill of being saved by a Superhero as long as the city does nothing about blocking the entrance or finally gets around to putting out the fire.

You know how many times i have tried "to miss" one of the VIPER snipers and waited him to off Biselle??? Seems the guy is on to me, since he keeps stalling his speech.
    And about the fires, there are atleast 3 firehouses in MC with firetrucks outside them, but not a single fireman!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    A building fire in Millennium City, a tsunami about to hit Monster Island, a flooding hurricane about to hit Vibora Bay, a major blizzard rolling through the Canadian Wildnerness... all of these can involve simply rescuing civilians from danger. I think it could be done as a part of the regular Alert cycle.

I like these ideas. Maybe clearing debris so firemen could get to hydrants.
    You know how many times i have tried "to miss" one of the VIPER snipers and waited him to off Biselle??? Seems the guy is on to me, since he keeps stalling his speech.
    And about the fires, there are atleast 3 firehouses in MC with firetrucks outside them, but not a single fireman!

It would be awesome if the Mayor turned out to be a villain mastermind in a future update.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

i tried it after the latest patch and he did start the speech, everything went well till Viper X was suppossed to show up but the ospreys didnt land and that was that.

Other disaster options:

* Get injured civilians to the hospital/medic
    * Free skiers buried in an avalanche
    * Free people trapped in mine-collapse/cave-in
    * Save drowning kids after their bus went over the bridge/ship started sinking
    * Get people out of building the bottom floor of which is on fire
    * Get Reggie out of a tree

There's heaps of possibilities.
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It would be pretty great to have a natural disaster or classic rescue people option for an alert,but an added feature would be to let use queue solo by ourselves to do them,also maybe saving people from some supervillain out in the open maybe,like (insert villain name here) is terrorizing people in downtown,you must stop him/her,and the map could have dynamic changes as you proceed through the battle,like buildings crumbling,bombs bursting,stuff like that,or maybe just save the civilians from falling to their doom while fighting off a supervillain.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is some similar technology in STO, at least in the early missions - on the trading ship in the first post-tutorial mission, for instance, Science characters can heal the injured crew members, while Engineers can try to stabilize the warp core and give themselves some extra time.

And anybody who's watched The Incredibles knows you can make up excuses about why your powers don't work in certain circumstances:

"Can't you put this fire out?"
    "I can't lay down a layer thick enough! And it's evaporating too fast!"
    "You're out of ice? You can't run out of ice - I thought you could use the water in the air!"
    "There IS no water in this air! What's your excuse, run out of muscles?"
    "I can't just go busting down walls, this building's getting weaker by the second!"
    "I wanted to go bowling!"
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Additional:

Just had a thought regarding Reggie.

A single alert where 5 heros try to get one cat out of one tree might seem excessive, but there's ways tp work with this that folks might like:

* Regiie is in a copse of trees and jumps from Tree to Tree making him harder to catch and get down
    * Reggie is in a tree surrounded by shape-shifting evil duplicates pretending to be Regggie who are also in trees and yeah that could add some combat into saving Reggie fom a tree!
    * Reggie could be stuck in an Evil Tree (think an Evil Ent sorta thing)

But here is my favourite idea:

* Reggie is the rescue mascot, Reggie is trapped in every disaster alert almost like an easter egg. Saving Reggie gives a Questionite Bonus and a chance at a drop of a Reggie Action Figure! if the alert succeeeds.

Watch how the heroes rush to rescue that cat every alert!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I may be a little off topic here but can I ask one thing....who is this Reggie everybody is talking about?
  • Options
    flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It would be awesome if the Mayor turned out to be a villain mastermind in a future update.

i am sure Biselle is some sort of Reality manipulator like Mr Mxlzplik...city is conveniently full of villians to keep you busy...and wheres his political rival? only seen couple of ads on the streets..but thats all.

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    His political rival(I forgot his name) appears in the mission where you talk to several people to find clues to find is daughter.The mission comes from Kinetic in city center
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    I may be a little off topic here but can I ask one thing....who is this Reggie everybody is talking about?

Come on! 1st mission every hero does is a rescue a cat.
    Or rescue Foxbat in Tutorial...
  • Options
    kungpowroosterkungpowrooster Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    /signed

I agree with the original poster of this thread and the idea is really great. Also It be great that players can carry citizens when rescuing them from a fire or some other kind of accident that happen in that moment. I seen this done in comics and animated movies why not for this game too. I hope cryptic does add content like this ^_^
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Ah I remember that mission now,the city center version at least.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So disasters should include:

interacting with civilians - picking them up or guiding them to safety

taking down debris - smashing or leading civilians around

using healing powers to repair targets - includes objects or emergency vehicles

other alternate methods - interactions requiring a 50, 100 or 200 in a specific stat to perform

These could be expanded on with Alerts that have multiple stages if you managed to fail the first part rather than a 2 minute or complete fail. (I thought Dockside Dust Up's "rules chage" was a second phase to the Alert, but was grossly disappointed.)

90% of new players miss BOTH of those entirely. I missed the cat the first several months of playing the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

other alternate methods - interactions requiring a 50, 100 or 200 in a specific stat to perform

These could be expanded on with Alerts that have multiple stages if you managed to fail the first part rather than a 2 minute or complete fail. (I thought Dockside Dust Up's "rules chage" was a second phase to the Alert, but was grossly disappointed.)

If we use crafting skills for this they need to be below 10,because I know very few people with crafting skills above 40,it takes way too long to get those up to 50 after the On alert turned everything into mods and fusion.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I said stats, not skills. Unless I'm allowed to craft a power replacer or a costume piece, I couldn't care less about R&D skills.

But if they were to go that route, then yes it should be at those levels. If you don't have a high enough R&D then you just do the disaster the bland way.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

90% of new players miss BOTH of those entirely. I missed the cat the first several months of playing the game.

This is a great set of notions!

Healers being able to help keep others alive will also make a big difference directly in some disaster alerts. For example:

The heroes need to get civilians out of a burning building which means carrying them through flames. Carrying someone means you move more slowly so the hero will be taking a lot of damage as they carry the civilian to safety. The healler can be healling them while they are moving through the fire and on either side of the fire making it far swifter for the strong hero to carry the civilians out instead of waiting to heal slowly in between each rescue.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm sorry, but I think that natural disasters are way out of the average superhero's league. Unless a hundred or more with matching get together for it, stopping a hurricane, a vulcano, an earthquake or a tsunami is simply impossible.
    And don't get started with "Superman did that". Superman is Superman. :rolleyes:

Unnatural disasters are more likely a job for a hero. Unlike a natural disaster, which is caused by the earth itself, these can have a relatively small source that could possibly taken care of with raw power.
    Champions Online is a game focused almost entirely on fighting. That is what the game is build for. But fighting skills wont help when you are not facing an enemy.

What I am saying is that while a superhero can rescue people, defeat supervillains and even avert the apocalypse, he cannot stop the forces of nature for a simple reason: He cannot fight or even attack them. There is no way of stopping wind, fire, water, earth or even radiation by punching it.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That's where destructibles can really be used. Or the infamous colossal sized objects are found in game/alerts.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm sorry, but I think that natural disasters are way out of the average superhero's league. Unless a hundred or more with matching get together for it, stopping a hurricane, a vulcano, an earthquake or a tsunami is simply impossible.
    And don't get started with "Superman did that". Superman is Superman. :rolleyes:

Unnatural disasters are more likely a job for a hero. Unlike a natural disaster, which is caused by the earth itself, these can have a relatively small source that could possibly taken care of with raw power.
    Champions Online is a game focused almost entirely on fighting. That is what the game is build for. But fighting skills wont help when you are not facing an enemy.

What I am saying is that while a superhero can rescue people, defeat supervillains and even avert the apocalypse, he cannot stop the forces of nature for a simple reason: He cannot fight or even attack them. There is no way of stopping wind, fire, water, earth or even radiation by punching it.

Stop a hurricane, an earthquake, a volcano, a tsunami? Maybe, maybe not, but rescue people in the aftermath of one? Even ordinary people do that. Getting people out of a burning building, saving people from drowning, digging buried skiiers/miners, shutting down a nuclear reactor are all feasible because non-super people do it. Superheroes should be able to do that at least and more.

Between destructible and interactible objects and my suggested carrieable civilians a host of superhero-vs-disaster stuff will be possible.. hmm doesn't the Pen and Paper Champions RPG book mention something about Hero Vs Nature stuff?
  • Options
    dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This sounds good for multi-stage alerts ... but the maps might have to be pretty big ...

Part one: Civilian Rescue (2m timer)
    Part two: Destroy or Construct Object (2m timer)
    Part three: Rescue remaining civilians / defeat advantage-taking badguy (2m timer)

Just as a skeletal outline, I think this could work and could act as (or replace) the APB Alert.

Disaster occurs, let's say a burning building in MC

Part One: Rescue civilians; Civilians are trapped (requiring putting out fires to create a corridor and then either carrying civilians out or letting them go.)
    Part Two: Destroy Object: Create a firebreak or destroy some rubble keeping the civilians trapped. This works as a colossal object; Constant fires starting require one or more heroes to keep putting them out to avoid DoTs that will kill heroes and/or civilians.
    Part Three: Final Rescue; Recover valuables left in the building before it collapses. Dr. Destroyer's robots (or other expendable minions) are trying to loot something before the building collapses. You have to get a certain percentage of the valuables out (by running them to a safe zone, like a black box or some kind, for example) and be in the safe zone before the building collapses. This also means preventing minions from escaping with said valuables.

Hurricane in Vibora
    Part One: Rescue Civilians; You must convince civilians to leave or pick them up bodily; a z-tap minigame affected by strength or presence, with a slight modifier by level (after all if you're famous they'll believe you, right?)
    Part Two: Build Object: create a sandbag barrier on the shore to prevent a key area from flooding. This requires a supply run to a nearby area of sand or other supplies. Perhaps some Dogz are constantly raiding the supply shack, attacking heroes to get some rep before the flood.
    Part Three: Final Rescue: A retirement home has been overrun by the New Shadows, requiring heroes to rescue a certain amount of elderly before they're turned and before the hurricane hits. Patrons are turned at random via a timer (like Soul Siphon) requiring heroes to work together to free them. Once free, the patron needs to be carried to the emergency workers at the exit.

Completing the whole of the alert gives a Q Reward plus the benefits of all three alert types. Completing only certain parts gives only those rewards and no bonuses.

If you manage to succeed in all rescue alerts, you get the title "Supersaver" and you get the old "Star Wars Award Ceremony" from the original tutorial.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    dynamech wrote: »
    This sounds good for multi-stage alerts ... but the maps might have to be pretty big ...

Part one: Civilian Rescue (2m timer)
    Part two: Destroy or Construct Object (2m timer)
    Part three: Rescue remaining civilians / defeat advantage-taking badguy (2m timer)

Just as a skeletal outline, I think this could work and could act as (or replace) the APB Alert.

Disaster occurs, let's say a burning building in MC

Part One: Rescue civilians; Civilians are trapped (requiring putting out fires to create a corridor and then either carrying civilians out or letting them go.)
    Part Two: Destroy Object: Create a firebreak or destroy some rubble keeping the civilians trapped. This works as a colossal object; Constant fires starting require one or more heroes to keep putting them out to avoid DoTs that will kill heroes and/or civilians.
    Part Three: Final Rescue; Recover valuables left in the building before it collapses. Dr. Destroyer's robots (or other expendable minions) are trying to loot something before the building collapses. You have to get a certain percentage of the valuables out (by running them to a safe zone, like a black box or some kind, for example) and be in the safe zone before the building collapses. This also means preventing minions from escaping with said valuables.

Hurricane in Vibora
    Part One: Rescue Civilians; You must convince civilians to leave or pick them up bodily; a z-tap minigame affected by strength or presence, with a slight modifier by level (after all if you're famous they'll believe you, right?)
    Part Two: Build Object: create a sandbag barrier on the shore to prevent a key area from flooding. This requires a supply run to a nearby area of sand or other supplies. Perhaps some Dogz are constantly raiding the supply shack, attacking heroes to get some rep before the flood.
    Part Three: Final Rescue: A retirement home has been overrun by the New Shadows, requiring heroes to rescue a certain amount of elderly before they're turned and before the hurricane hits. Patrons are turned at random via a timer (like Soul Siphon) requiring heroes to work together to free them. Once free, the patron needs to be carried to the emergency workers at the exit.

Completing the whole of the alert gives a Q Reward plus the benefits of all three alert types. Completing only certain parts gives only those rewards and no bonuses.

If you manage to succeed in all rescue alerts, you get the title "Supersaver" and you get the old "Star Wars Award Ceremony" from the original tutorial.

These are all great ideas and that Award Ceremony from the original tutorial was awesome! It gave such a feelling of being heroic it really helped cement the feel of Champions. Bringing it back like that is a great idea!
  • Options
    kungpowroosterkungpowrooster Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree with that idea from Dynamech as well. It's a great setup ^_^