test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Tactician (Muni/MA build): On Alert Redux

helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Builds and Roles
This is my On Alert version of Pulsewave's outstanding Tactician Munitions/Martial Arts build. His original builds can be found here, along with his power choice explanations: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=109200

A few power choices I've changed and I'll explain them below. Overall this remains a highly versatile build with excellent survivability and significant damage output.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Tactician

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Fist
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Coordinated
Level 12: Healthy Mind
Level 15: Impresario
Level 18: Quick Recovery
Level 21: Covert Ops Training

Powers:
Level 1: Steady Shot (Paint the Target)
Level 1: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Mow 'em Down)
Level 6: Submachinegun Burst (Rank 2, Aggression)
Level 8: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Form of the Tempest
Level 14: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Reaper's Embrace (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Void Shift
Level 26: Masterful Dodge
Level 29: Dragon Kick (Lashing Dragon Tail)
Level 32: Overdrive
Level 35: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2)
Level 38: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Rush of Victory (2/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

For Superstats, I went with CON rather than EGO due to EGO's ranged damage bonus being additive and easily made up with Quarry's Audacity and Ego Surge's bonuses without significant diminishing returns. CON adds survivability through Rush of Battle and extra health and synergizes well with Ego Surge's Nimble Mind, adding 37%+ Crit chance.

I add enough STR in gear and talents to get to about 60 and enough REC to get to about 44. I think a little REC helps a bit with energy management and opening attacks, but could easily be switched out for more STR or any of your superstats.

Gear is pretty typical. I go with 2 DEX, 2 CON, and 2 INT on primary gear, as secondary superstats are important in spec tree choices like Deadly Aim and Rush of Battle. Suffixes are +Crit%, +Dodge/Avoidance, and +Cooldown Red/+Cost Red. On secondary gear I add 2 STR and 1 REC

I run this build in Ranged role for Normal difficulty content, Hybrid for Elite content, and Melee for boss fights.

Power changes:

I picked Steady Shot as an energy builder mostly for theme. Paint the Target adds a bit of +Crit%/Severity pretty frequently which is nice.

I chose Void Shift instead of Thunderbolt Lunge for theme.

I went with Overdrive rather than Killer Instinct due to inconsistent EGO and the presence of three maintain powers that are running pretty frequently. High INT ensures reliable energy returns. Combined with Form stacks and the Rush buff from Dragon Kick, energy is not a problem.

I dropped Lock N load for Ego Surge for obvious reasons. You lose the energy cost reduction but get additional bonus damage from the increased EGO and the very significant +Crit% of Nimble Mind.

If you want a few more points of Dodge/Avoidance you can stick with Swinging with Flippin' adv., but I didn't find it to be a noticeable loss with a Dodge rate of about 56% and up to 70%+ avoidance (gear, Audacity x3, & Lashing Dragon Tail). Plus I prefer using Athletics to get me around in instances.