test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance Thurs 7/26???

bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
I just saw this on the main page:

"We will be performing shard maintenance on 7/26 from 7-10 AM PDT (1400-1700 UTC)"

Is the Lo Pan special alert hitting live? Will we be seeing the wizard costume set? Surely it's not the Nighthawk event, as that's still undergoing testing and tweaks...
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Champions,

We'll be having maintenance tomorrow morning. It'll be an infrastructure maintenance, so you won't notice any in-game changes afterwards.

This maintenance will begin at 7 AM PDT, and we expect it will only last three hours. After that, hop back in and get back to adventurin'.

-TrailTurtle

Nothing new happening.
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thats what they said before and we had a patch.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    Thats what they said before and we had a patch.

Seriously?

Months of (very valid) complaints about "they never tell us anything." "where are the patch notes?" "whats going on?"

And when we actually get some information. The complaint is that now it might not be fully accurate?

Perhaps, we can actually wait until tomorrow and see if it is accurate before the wailing and teethgnashing starts. You know, just an idea.
    edited July 2012
    What I mean is that this has happened before when they said no update...next day..we get an update.This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes it has and only time will tell when it does happen.
  • bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Seriously?

Months of (very valid) complaints about "they never tell us anything." "where are the patch notes?" "whats going on?"

And when we actually get some information. The complaint is that now it might not be fully accurate?

Perhaps, we can actually wait until tomorrow and see if it is accurate before the wailing and teethgnashing starts. You know, just an idea.

Fine. Isntead, We'll complain about how there's no patch, the info is inaccurate, and its not what we want. I'll go first.

Cryptic! Y U NO FIX COSTUME BUGS!?

That should do it. LOL
    edited July 2012
    bdragon4co wrote: »
    Fine. Isntead, We'll complain about how there's no patch, the info is inaccurate, and its not what we want. I'll go first.

That should do it. LOL

I actually hope the ancient armor jacket bug doesn't get fixed,the invisible torso is a cool glitch.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bdragon4co wrote: »

That should do it. LOL

Well as the old saying goes; damned if they do, damned if they don't :rolleyes:

People complained that Cryptic wasn't giving info, now Cryptic is giving info and people are complaining more. Is it any wonder they shut up so much?
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well as the old saying goes; damned if they do, damned if they don't...

People complained that Cryptic wasn't giving info, now Cryptic is giving info and people are complaining more.

Is it any wonder they shut up so much?
    That is why they need to just do their job, give us what info. we pay for, and call it a day :rolleyes:

MOST of the complaints of "no info." are due to the lack of info. we DESERVE to know as paying customers.

The backlash is due to Cryptic NOT doing their job in informing us.
    If they'd just give us what we need to know on a regular basis, i'm sure there'd be ALOT less complaining...

...IMhO :wink:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah .. somebody is always complaining .. but with the total lack of communication now
    i more often complain about things just out of pure frustration, and of course because
    i lost all faith in what they say.

I just have to say : the rare comments about the C-Store on the PTS .. simply all lies :frown:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That is why they need to just do their job, give us what info. we pay for, and call it a day :rolleyes:

MOST of the complaints of "no info." are due to the lack of info. we DESERVE to know as paying customers.

The backlash is due to Cryptic NOT doing their job in informing us.
    If they'd just give us what we need to know on a regular basis, i'm sure there'd be ALOT less complaining...

...IMhO :wink:

I think it's more perception and self entitlement than lack of info.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yea. Damn you Cryptic for having no perception and feeling self entitlement.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
    edited July 2012
    Tell you what :cool:
    I'll agree that you're one of the best "Tankers" in CO (as i've done in the past).
    If you'll agree that i MIGHT have a inkling of what i'm talking about on this subject due to the "marketing" degree hanging on my wall :rolleyes:
    Deal? :wink:
    Or are you REALLY going to suggest that Cryptic has a halfway decent marketing plan at work here?:eek:
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Pff! Not.

You want to see an example from just today of a good developer who truly cares about his creation?
    http://openstudy.com/study#/updates/501153d8e4b009397c68fabf

Seriously, read it. You'll be impressed. The internet community there was enraged by an almost 36 hour session of unbearable lag that brought the entire website to a halt. And guess what? Bet you their team of THREE PEOPLE fixes it faster than the 160 people who work in the Cryptic building in California.

Please do read this championshewolf, and read it with an open mind. Angelofcaine makes a point.

That said, the developer in that link also makes a point and I have to realize just how angry I've become at the lack of communication from Cryptic as of 2012. I don't know what happened, but it "feels" like were missing something here in the community's core.

If you're reading this Cryptic please reply to let your customers know that you do care, and what's restricting you if you do. Is it money, time, your parent company dictating what you can & can't do too much?

Also keep in mind, all readers of this, that there IS a balance between trying to implement every suggestion (impossible, and many of them, especially when it relates to power balancing are bad suggestions), and not listening at all. This community really needs to take a few chill pills I think and remember all players and developers are people. Mistakes happen, you fix them and move on with life.
    edited July 2012
    Is the lag still going on at that site,or did something on it randomly cause my computer to freeze?
    edited July 2012
    Which site? Be specific please
    edited July 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »

Thats the site,is there something still wrong with the lag you mentioned on it or was it just a random thing?
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Or are you REALLY going to suggest that Cryptic has a halfway decent marketing plan at work here?:eek:

There's a plan??? :wink:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
    edited July 2012
    I remember in another game seeing a developer mention that a lot of developers in a lot of games, based on past expirience, are very careful about communicating with the player base, because players have a habit of harping on every little thing a developer says.

I wonder what would happen if a developer came on the forums and made a few light comments about PvP.... how long would the ensuing flame war last, assuming the thread wasn't locked immidietly?

Listen, if every time you go to talk to a guy he gets in your face and starts b****ing up a storm claiming you're out to get him and you ruined his life, would you be eager to talk with him?

edited July 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    Listen, if every time you go to talk to a guy he gets in your face and starts b****ing up a storm claiming you're out to get him and you ruined his life, would you be eager to talk with him?
    Not on your life :rolleyes:
    UNLESS it was my JOB, then i'd suck it up, and do what i'm paid for :biggrin:
    See the difference? :confused:
    edited July 2012
    There may have not been a patch today,but we are having maintenance tomorrow too,and this time they said the Hi pan alert was coming,not sure if the other things are but we know Hi pan is.
    edited July 2012
    There may have not been a patch today,but we are having maintenance tomorrow too,and this time they said the Hi pan alert was coming,not sure if the other things are but we know Hi pan is.

That's very strange... seeing as testing of the Hi Pan alert seems to indicate that it's barely close to finished and half the elements of the fight aren't even functional... then again...

• theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    That's very strange... seeing as testing of the Hi Pan alert seems to indicate that it's barely close to finished and half the elements of the fight aren't even functional... then again...

people were talking about how amazingly it was looking, and feeling pretty good, perhaps based on the feedback they feel its ready to go live *shrugs*
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    theapygoos wrote: »
    people were talking about how amazingly it was looking, and feeling pretty good, perhaps based on the feedback they feel its ready to go live *shrugs*

Clearly you haven't been paying attention for the last year, if you think it's strange for Cryptic to release something that's not ready off PTS directly to live.

I'd say I pretty much expect bugged crap to make it live despite PTS feedback.

/shrug.

Not shocking at all.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    Clearly you haven't been paying attention for the last year, if you think it's strange for Cryptic to release something that's not ready off PTS directly to live.

I'd say I pretty much expect bugged crap to make it live despite PTS feedback.

/shrug.

Not shocking at all.

bugs dont surprise me one bit, infact theyre expected, if theyre not present is when im amazed
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2012

The fact you seem to think there isn't a communication issue means you're one of the people suffering from a perception problem.

The self entitlement part is still more or less correct though.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So, essentially, we have an "updud" hitting. Super.
    edited July 2012
    Thats the site,is there something still wrong with the lag you mentioned on it or was it just a random thing?

It's still prone to happening as of right now, but the developers (all 3 of them, instead of the 160 who work at Cryptic's office) are immediately working on it, communicating that openly, and have taken the suggested advice for a temporary solution and are now rebooting the site daily for the time being to keep the heap size in check.

In short, temporary fix added in and the long-term solution is well under way to getting solved.

It should be noted that more open communication is better than walling yourself behind a system where your customers can't communicate and then wondering why the community seems to be simmering with anger & misunderstanding.

Let's see:
    • The ticket system doesn't make acknowledgement of any bugs you report are getting dealt with
    • There is no GM supervision in-game, chat bans are automatic and in the hands of the players which means it's open to abuse
    • If you send an email to PWE you'll never get anything more than the automated reply
    • If you post on the forums, well... Kind of like a tree falling in a forest when nobody is there... yeah... When is the last time Stormshade talked with the community openly more than just posting announcements? Is he not still the official "community representative"?
    • You have to digitally agree to legal agreements that mean they can nerf or remove anything you have, any item, any power, and any account at will with ZERO need to justify or explain. Even if you technically don't have to justify, you still should explain and give detailed patch notes at the minimum. (In short, why are you bothering spending in-game resources and money to get stuff in-game when it can just be removed? In fact MANY items and powers HAVE been crippled with over-nerfing them, shall I list examples?).

So with such a lack of communication giving an appearance of total apathy from the development team as a whole (save I'd say there are some individual members of the team that DO care), it's it really any surprise to see the community like this?

And I'm still waiting on a reply from you championshewolf. :wink:

I remember in another game seeing a developer mention that a lot of developers in a lot of games, based on past expirience, are very careful about communicating with the player base, because players have a habit of harping on every little thing a developer says.

I wonder what would happen if a developer came on the forums and made a few light comments about PvP.... how long would the ensuing flame war last, assuming the thread wasn't locked immidietly?

No I wouldn't be eager, but in all my time that I've done retail customer service stuff (which is WAAAAAAAY more hostile than anything you see here in this community) or even dealing with people who had their account banned by software my team developed (i.e.: GGC banlist from PunkBuster detections) or video evidence an admin anonymously submitted (i.e.: Call of Duty 4, Battlefield BC2, etc.) you grow a pair and deal with it.

You smack the people who need to take a chill pill, and keep the communication open and you would be AMAZED at how much the waters calm down. Yeah would there be some screaming & crying at first? Yeah, but if you control the conversation and enforce rules requiring that people show each other respect, then it works out and the trolls get banned and you can finally start to hear the useful logic flowing.

The fact that this excuse is still used seems to me to show a lack of respect people have for each other, an element of cowardice on the developer's part, and a lack of punishment for users/customers getting hostile with their feedback.

If you get really hostile and assault a customer service rep at a store you're going to get arrested. Keep going and maybe we'll get to see a good ol' fashioned police beating if you still don't calm the **** down and are violently resisting arrest. Keep going even more, and then they get to tie you up in a straight jacket and inject you with sedatives. Spend your days in a mental hospital. Serves you right if you're that psycho that you can't calm the **** down. In terms of the internet the solution is even simpler: ban hammer. Somebody getting a little mouthy in the feedback process, warn them once. If they don't get it, ban hammer time (suspension or permanent, your call). And then don't make exceptions with your justice, nobody get's special favored treatment.

There are ways to deal with an irate customer too. One of the easiest things is to acknowledge you hear them and let them vent a little then ask questions. If you can break the barrier down then you'll be able to get to the point to where they can see both your point of view and you can see their point of view and communication can begin to give real progress.

So yeah, this "excuse" for why not to communicate with your users is BS. Complete BS. A myth. It's a sign of a developer who is either:
    • cowardly (or feels unsafe because of inadequate protections, which should never happen if the rules for safety & respect are properly enforced. I'd except reasonable fear for one's safety to be a valid excuse, and one you can take legal action against the aggressor.)
    • apathetic (hides behind a wall of secrecy so they don't have to

That said from a developer's point of view:
    • They dislike being told what they have to do by users (even if the user is correct). Nobody wants to be treated like somebody's slave and ordered around. And consider this as users, how many time you thank the developers for doing things RIGHT/CORRECT. (I know I personally try to make sure I always praise the positives, but most of you don't)
    • They hate users acting like they understand the complicated architecture of the source code when they don't (although in this case it clear that certain users, such as those the work on the Co-Wiki and post tutorial guides on the forums, have put a great deal of time into researching their stuff)
    • They are frustrated when users don't understand the time & cost aspects to fixing certain bugs or creating certain content (although this is solved by open communication with the users, people are generally very forgiving if they can understand where you are coming from and show your humanity)

It's hard to understand what the hell is going on with Cryptic though, they communicate so little. The most you see for communication these days are marketing/advertising the latest feature they made or something they want you to spend money on (particularly if it's a chance to get an item, gambling your money).

I mean even casinos do a much better job of trying to make the customer happy than this... (in fact casinos a fantastically brilliant profit and customer service model, and thus they do make damned sure they show the customer respect and the customer shows them respect)
    edited July 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    ...It's hard to understand what the hell is going on with Cryptic though, they communicate so little.
    The most you see for communication these days are marketing/advertising the latest feature they made or something they want you to spend money on (particularly if it's a chance to get an item, gambling your money)...
    You know, i USUALLY don't like your posts...
    ...But this one SERIOUSLY needed to be QFfT :eek: *golfclaps*
    edited July 2012
    Why wouldn't you like my posts? >_>