test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Complete Announced

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Interesting. It looks like Derek's distilling the Hero 6th books and the Champions sourcebook into one manageable package. Should be interesting.

Announcing Champions Complete!

The ultimate super roleplaying game returns to reclaim its crown in *Champions Complete!* All the legendary flexibility and power of the renowned *HERO System* rules engine, plus all the superhero goodness *Champions* has been famous for over 30 years, now in one pulse-pounding, senses -shattering, heroic handbook of superpowered action!

At 240 pages, *Champions Complete* includes everything superhero gamers need, and nothing they don't. New players will love the unmatched freedom of *Champions* that allows them to create and play exactly the hero they imagine. Longtime fans will appreciate the tight, concise new approach, presenting the full game system in a fraction of its former length.

HERO System 6th Edition
978-1-58366-145-1
HERO2000
Author: Derek Hiemforth
Cover: Sam R. Kennedy
Layout: Ruben Smith Zempel
PDF: $20.00
Print: $40.00
Print+PDF: $40.00
240pp B&W interior with color softcover.
PDF will be made available with every retail purchase via Bits and Mortar
Look for Champions Complete in Fall of 2012!
/CanadaBanner4.jpg
Post edited by canadascott on

Comments

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was wondering when they'd take a leaf from companies like Pinnacle and release something small to get people playing.

Just went from "nah" to "maybe."
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah this is cool. I had a passing interest in the game, went to the site to see what book I should get, and couldn't figure out where to start.
    biffsig.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the 2 kg (I kid you not) hardback is the basic book, the rest is gravy.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Drat just got my hands on the seperate champions book. Ah well.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • photonhammerphotonhammer Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok, some someone in the know will have to help a newbie out here.... please :)
    i'm new to CO, came over from CoX and i'm a looooooong time table top rpg'er who has played just about every superhero game ever put out.
    i've always wanted to try Champions but when 6e came out it looked like you had to buy a library worth of books to really get started and i wasn't going to invest that much in a game that MAY just sit on a shelf (if i can't get another group going).
    that being said i WILL buy Champions Complete when it comes out, BUT, i HATE the hero system site.... it has got to be designed by a schizo.... and i can find NO INFORMATION on the forth coming Champions Complete.

so, could someone link me to a page where i can buy/pre order it?
    also, which supplemental books will still be valid? i would really like to get champions powers as well, which i can find at amazon.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok, some someone in the know will have to help a newbie out here.... please :)
    i'm new to CO, came over from CoX and i'm a looooooong time table top rpg'er who has played just about every superhero game ever put out.
    i've always wanted to try Champions but when 6e came out it looked like you had to buy a library worth of books to really get started and i wasn't going to invest that much in a game that MAY just sit on a shelf (if i can't get another group going).
    that being said i WILL buy Champions Complete when it comes out, BUT, i HATE the hero system site.... it has got to be designed by a schizo.... and i can find NO INFORMATION on the forth coming Champions Complete.

so, could someone link me to a page where i can buy/pre order it?
    also, which supplemental books will still be valid? i would really like to get champions powers as well, which i can find at amazon.

There's no preorder page as far as I can tell. As soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to post something here. All 6e supplements should still be valid with it: so books like Champions Universe, Champions Beyond, Book of the Empress, the Champions Villains (v. 1-3), Champions Powers, Hero System Grimoire, and Hero System Martial Arts will all still be completely usable.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    edited September 2012
    There's no preorder page as far as I can tell. As soon as I hear anything, I'll be sure to post something here. All 6e supplements should still be valid with it: so books like Champions Universe, Champions Beyond, Book of the Empress, the Champions Villains (v. 1-3), Champions Powers, Hero System Grimoire, and Hero System Martial Arts will all still be completely usable.

good stuff, thank you.
    just an "out on a limb" question here.
    i have never dealt with the champions/hero folks/company. any idea if they actually hit their target dates? miss them by a mile? forthcoming with useful info?

i have no problems waiting till this comes out, but was just wondering if i should steel myself for an early 2013 publish instead of "fall 2012"?
  • knightowlx1knightowlx1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is interesting news. I'll be looking forward to checking out Champions Complete when it releases.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The only time they've really missed target dates lately was during those few months where they had switched to an awful Chinese printer. They get the books written on time, and now that they've stopped using the aforementioned printer they print on time too.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    * \o\ runs around screaming "I WANTS" /o/ *
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the news.

I see that the Bundle is still listed as preorder - will we get the PDF immediately and then wait for the book itself to be printed/shipped? Or is the website a bit off?

EDIT: For those curious, according to the website:
    http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/92975-Champions-Complete-Available-On-Preorder

"And as I pointed out in the Company Questions thread on the subject, when you pre-order the bundle, you can get the PDF right away."

So preorder the combo right now and get the PDF not only instantly, but absolutely free ($20 for the PDF, $40 for the book, $40 for the book and PDF).
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited November 2012

:D thank you for the update, finally purchased the only superhero rpg i've never played. was kinda let down that they didn't have any shipping options, wanted it asap..... guess i'll have to wait.
  • auldwolfauldwolf Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was wondering when they'd take a leaf from companies like Pinnacle and release something small to get people playing.

Just went from "nah" to "maybe."
    Seconded!

With this as a PDF, if it's compatible enough with some of the software tools out there, I might actually be tempted to get back into being a DM. Gods, that's been some years. But we have things like Skype, now. It could work. I am... tempted.

Maybe! I might. I am considering this!

I might just buy it just because. For the lore, because I do love me some lore. This was definitely a smart move.
  • xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    auldwolf wrote: »
    Seconded!

With this as a PDF, if it's compatible enough with some of the software tools out there, I might actually be tempted to get back into being a DM. Gods, that's been some years. But we have things like Skype, now. It could work. I am... tempted.

Maybe! I might. I am considering this!

I might just buy it just because. For the lore, because I do love me some lore. This was definitely a smart move.

If you do, might I suggest: OpenRPG

Not sure if there's anything better out there, but this is the program we used when I was doing stuff with a few friends. It basically allows you to play Tabletop RPGs over the internet, and has all the features you'd really need to do so.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »
    If you do, might I suggest: OpenRPG

Not sure if there's anything better out there, but this is the program we used when I was doing stuff with a few friends. It basically allows you to play Tabletop RPGs over the internet, and has all the features you'd really need to do so.

There is also MapTools, which I've used before, can't say I've tried OpenRPG. But I believe they're very similar.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    :D thank you for the update, finally purchased the only superhero rpg i've never played. was kinda let down that they didn't have any shipping options, wanted it asap..... guess i'll have to wait.

The reason why there's not any shipping options is because the book itself isn't available yet. Then again, I was more than happy tossing money their way for the PDF now, and the book whenever it's done.

I'm guessing that's why the Book+PDF combo was the exact same price as the Book itself. :D
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited November 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    The reason why there's not any shipping options is because the book itself isn't available yet. Then again, I was more than happy tossing money their way for the PDF now, and the book whenever it's done.

I'm guessing that's why the Book+PDF combo was the exact same price as the Book itself. :D

it looked like it's publish date was 10/24/12, i think it may be available now..... or maybe i am just not paying enough attention 'cuz i'm excited! :biggrin:

EDIT: went and double checked, released on October 24th!
  • cvx911cvx911 Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have been looking for a good review of Champions Complete. Can any of you link to or provide an in depth overview of the game book? Does it compare well with the previous 6E books in quality? Thanks.

PS: There is an awful rumor that they left out pictures for the heroe and villian NPCs this go around... True or false?
  • stormfalconsjcastormfalconsjca Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    cvx911 wrote: »
    I have been looking for a good review of Champions Complete. Can any of you link to or provide an in depth overview of the game book? Does it compare well with the previous 6E books in quality? Thanks.

PS: There is an awful rumor that they left out pictures for the heroe and villian NPCs this go around... True or false?

I don't know of any proper reviews yet, but I can say that the layout is more reminiscent of 80's RPGs (all black-and-white, basic text) and that the illustration work is indeed sparse. It is true that the sample heroes and villains don't get individual illustrations to go with their descriptions and stats. You'll catch them in general illustrations though.

That being said, it looks to have been a necessary sacrifice to get the entire 6e ruleset and some basic Champions (and supers roleplaying in general) into a single rulebook with the pagecount they were given (around 240 pages). Of course, other measures were taken to bring things within that pagecount, like being more succinct with the rules, cutting back on examples and explanations, etc.

One nice side effect of their going with a more basic layout is that the PDF is a smaller file than even the 6E Basic Rulebook and it loads up much faster on whatever portable reader you might use (it's even readable on my Samsung Galaxy phone!).

It's not fancy, but it definitely gets the job done and isn't nearly as intimidating as the 2-volume ruleset that came before.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Thanks. I'm going to check this out when I get the chance. I've been meaning to check out the 6th ed rules for a while and think that a condensed version is a good idea, since one of the things I didn't like about the 5th ed book at least was the wordy writting and the huge size of the tome (which could probably kill a person with a well placed blow to the head).