test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions about the planned vehicle system

2»

Comments

• lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited July 2012

... Thanks for contributing, um... Well, I honestly have no idea what your point is. People aren't allowed to disagree with ideas, and state the reasons why they disagree? Is that REALLY what you're getting at? Or are you just trying to be your usual "komikal lulzKat" self? Because if you're trying to make a SERIOUS point, what I actually got out of your post was nothing more than "watch me mock this person for daring to disagree".:rolleyes: (see? I can has smiley too.)

Way to slam someone for slamming someone for slamming someone else...

And you're better how?

:eek: :redface: :rolleyes:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My experience as a member since October has led me to the conclusion to have little faith in "new content". I'd be more concerned with adding content that could help with player retention.... like more end game content, zones and the like before vehicles became a priority.
  • clockwiseclockwise Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would suppose this is a way for them to finally give us the same thing that flight had in CoX awhile ago; a way to transport other players with your travel power.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was Dubsy on the Old Forums. I am still @Dubsy in-game. Also, lol.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I want nice vehicle like this.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My main concern is more along the lines of most new content cryptic puts out which follows the trend of

A) make new content people will love
    B) hype the new content with promises of awesome new features
    C) sell content for more than it's worth
    D) once content is released forget it ever existed and do nothing with it afterward

Just like adventure packs, super groups, hide outs, and well i'm sure there's a lot more in there as well. I like the Cryptic games, i'm excited about the new vehicle possibilities, but at the same time realistically i'm not expecting much from them in the long run beyond being an overhyped new travel power, which sucks since it's done so nicely in STO.
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Way to slam someone for slamming someone for slamming someone else...

And you're better how?

:eek: :redface: :rolleyes:

You seem to be laboring under the delusion that I somehow think I'm "better than" somebody. We're all human, and most humans aren't really that great. I'm one of them. All I wanted to do was point out how Nephtastically pointless it was to berate somebody for daring to have an idea that didn't agree with another idea. YMMV. :smile:
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My main concern is more along the lines of most new content cryptic puts out which follows the trend of

A) make new content people will love
    B) hype the new content with promises of awesome new features
    C) sell content for more than it's worth
    D) once content is released forget it ever existed and do nothing with it afterward

Just like adventure packs, super groups, hide outs, and well i'm sure there's a lot more in there as well. I like the Cryptic games, i'm excited about the new vehicle possibilities, but at the same time realistically i'm not expecting much from them in the long run beyond being an overhyped new travel power, which sucks since it's done so nicely in STO.

They did say there would be more content for hidouts and super groups, so we could change it to:
    D)once content is released forget it ever existed and do nothing with it afterward, but then put something out down the road once people notice we forgot about it. :biggrin:
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You seem to be laboring under the delusion that I somehow think I'm "better than" somebody. We're all human, and most humans aren't really that great. I'm one of them. All I wanted to do was point out how Nephtastically pointless it was to berate somebody for daring to have an idea that didn't agree with another idea. YMMV. :smile:

I would like you to re-read the post Nepht responded to, and then read your response to her...

Why, may I ask, did you go all chastising 'adult voice' and flat out lulz insulting on Nepht while ignoring the mocking of the OP that triggered her response?

I sense a double standard here. Possibly even a bit of a personality conflict...

"Nephtastically"? Really? Yeah, she really bugs you, doesn't she...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
    edited August 2012
    bwdares wrote: »
    They did say there would be more content for hidouts and super groups, so we could change it to:
    D)once content is released forget it ever existed and do nothing with it afterward, but then put something out down the road once people notice we forgot about it. :biggrin:

One could only hope. Personally i've only seen an offhand comment some one made being that they might add crafting areas to the hideout, but even that seemed a but useless at the time being since crafting isn't really crafting. while the idea behind STO's new fleet bases is interesting, i would hope that they wouldn't use the same leveling strategy since the groups here are smaller, i'm in a small group of friends who don't play any more, so i wouldn't want to be stuck leveling way a super group base by myself.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    People keep mentioning Superman not having a car. He did. It was called the Supermobile. Much like the later on Spidermobile owned by Spiderman (built by Johnny Storm, the Human torch, incidentally *geekcred increased!*), it was just a really shallow attempt at selling toys.

Honestly, I'm expecting that Batmobile-esque design of car you see around MC a lot, with colour options.
    Also, I would adore a police car, as I always end up running a new police toon every month or so, and with the tear gas-esque power from the upcoming new powers, I might actually stick with it.

The trick is going to be controls. For flying vehicles, something akin to how ships in STO fly would be ideal for most of the ones I can envisage.
    Cars... Are going to be weird to do. Especially as some reworking of how the Car NPCs interact: it would be a good idea if a bit tough I expect to do that they stop when a player (or another NPC car) gets in their path, starting off when they leave.
    That'd be vital to ground-based cars really, and I am unsure how feasible that is. To begin with, it would cause a bit of interesting things as we may see traffic jams appear when players purposefully block roads. No idea if that's a good or bad thing though.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    vorshoth wrote: »

The trick is going to be controls. For flying vehicles, something akin to how ships in STO fly would be ideal for most of the ones I can envisage.
    Cars... Are going to be weird to do. Especially as some reworking of how the Car NPCs interact: it would be a good idea if a bit tough I expect to do that they stop when a player (or another NPC car) gets in their path, starting off when they leave.
    That'd be vital to ground-based cars really, and I am unsure how feasible that is. To begin with, it would cause a bit of interesting things as we may see traffic jams appear when players purposefully block roads. No idea if that's a good or bad thing though.

I don't expect it will be as difficult as you think. Its a safe bet its going to be a complete reskin job from STO.

That means all vehicles will only be able to operate on vehicle maps. I expect the only traffic present will be other players. Id also expect minimal collision...all those pesky collision calculations can cause serious lag. So id expect it would work just like bumping other players. You wont stop, just kinda bounce until you get around them or stop manually. But id honestly not be shocked if there was no collision at all. You'll never see anyone get in or out of the vehicle. Just a loading screen to be back in MC

I would expect 3 to 5 vehicles to start with a promise of more later (soon...) A good mix of very generic ground and flight types. With each type acting as an STO ship chassis with 2 to 3 variant option skins. Possibly allowing some ability to mix and match.

The mention of PVP seems to indicate that there will be some form of slotted gear. Perhaps engines, armor, weapons ect. Similar to STO. Providing the promised customization and variation.

Any expectations beyond this are probably going to be set up for disappointment.
  • ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yep, porting ships from STO to CO is simply giving your character a 'costume'.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You are setting yourselves up for dissapointment.

Avian warrior set?
    Wizard set?

Hugely missed the mark compared to what was shown.

Lord people you should be used to this by now:

CRYPTIC can only be trusted to over promise, and under deliver.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I don't expect it will be as difficult as you think. Its a safe bet its going to be a complete reskin job from STO.

That means all vehicles will only be able to operate on vehicle maps. I expect the only traffic present will be other players. Id also expect minimal collision...all those pesky collision calculations can cause serious lag. So id expect it would work just like bumping other players. You wont stop, just kinda bounce until you get around them or stop manually. But id honestly not be shocked if there was no collision at all. You'll never see anyone get in or out of the vehicle. Just a loading screen to be back in MC

I would expect 3 to 5 vehicles to start with a promise of more later (soon...) A good mix of very generic ground and flight types. With each type acting as an STO ship chassis with 2 to 3 variant option skins. Possibly allowing some ability to mix and match.

The mention of PVP seems to indicate that there will be some form of slotted gear. Perhaps engines, armor, weapons ect. Similar to STO. Providing the promised customization and variation.

Any expectations beyond this are probably going to be set up for disappointment.

They did say in the report that the vehicles will be accessable anywhere in the open map,meaning outside of buildings anywhere in MC,Canada,VB,Desert and MI.Since the first vehicle we get is a jet,theres not doing to be any crashes up there(hopefully,unless some player decides to ram me for no reason)and the gear I specculate is what the weapons and attacks will depend on,much like the system in STO,only mixed with ground combat and movement aswell.
  • dragonblueydragonbluey Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just as long as we can give custom names to our vehicles.

I must have the Blueymobile.

(And while we're tossing out ideas, I want a Jeep or an ATV sorta thing. And I want to be able to color it bright blue and green like I do all my vehicles in Saints Row.)
    edited August 2012
    Just as long as we can give custom names to our vehicles.

I must have the Blueymobile.

(And while we're tossing out ideas, I want a Jeep or an ATV sorta thing. And I want to be able to color it bright blue and green like I do all my vehicles in Saints Row.)

I'd like to give a jet a name too,may even get a jet on my PA toon,assuming they don't have travel power replacers for the vehicles because as we all know not every superhero needs a vehicle and that vehicles need to be completely optional.But really it'd be nice to give vehicles names.
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I just had a horrified thought....

What if the vehicle controls don't have x-box controller support and my Champions gaming experience is therefore RUINED!

The controller is a big deal for me. A Really Big Deal. With my disability keyboard gaming wears me out, not to mention i have long fingernails and can't touch-type very well either. The Controller makes this game awesome for me.

Vehicles need to work with the controller. Vehicles need to work with the keybind system so everyone can customise the controls both with keyboard and controller just the same as everything else currently is.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • emeraldcrosshairemeraldcrosshair Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I just hope for good customization different types of styles for vehicles for example [Car: muscle. sport. etc.] [plane: Jet. rotor.].

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ventani wrote: »
    Yep, porting ships from STO to CO is simply giving your character a 'costume'.

And this is what I'm expecting with the vehicle system, too. STO 'ships' that you can customize by putting on a different side piece, top piece, bottom piece, etc etc, like how STO works.

Which frankly is fine by me. :D

I just had a horrified thought....

What if the vehicle controls don't have x-box controller support and my Champions gaming experience is therefore RUINED!

Go install STO and give it a whirl. See if you can control your starship with the 360 controller. I think you can, but I haven't played STO (or looked at their forums) in ages.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2012
    I hope our vehicles are to some degree different than just copies of STO ships that were re-skinned.That would mean we would have only air vehicles,Show some love for the super-cars and super-bikes!

And while Im at it maybe we can even have subs or hover-vehicles,because Subs would be kind of the Only vehicle we can use in Lemuria.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    And while Im at it maybe we can even have subs or hover-vehicles,because Subs would be kind of the Only vehicle we can use in Lemuria.
    HandyMan wants a trimobile like Mary Sperling's in Methuselah's Children, capable of ground travel, submarine travel, and limited flight.

Of course, Backfire doesn't want a vehicle at all, and Captain Americlown wants either a unicycle or a small car capable of carrying at least two dozen passengers...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    HandyMan wants a trimobile like Mary Sperling's in Methuselah's Children, capable of ground travel, submarine travel, and limited flight.

Of course, Backfire doesn't want a vehicle at all, and Captain Americlown wants either a unicycle or a small car capable of carrying at least two dozen passengers...

It would be a good idea to have vehicles that can switch between ground and flight mode,in addition to TP replacers for those who can fly or go at superspeed,in which the TP could be increased greatly with special gear and moves exclusive to the flight or Superspeed replacer.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am not joking I would so buy the f@%& outta a pogo stick for my toon.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I am not joking I would so buy the f@%& outta a pogo stick for my toon.
    I'm sure you'd have to get in line behind @ofarmer who's still waiting for his "unicycle" :biggrin:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm sure you'd have to get in line behind @ofarmer who's still waiting for his "unicycle" :biggrin:

Why am I suddenly getting an image of Grond on a space hopper :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited August 2012
    Transformers: fall of cybertron does this quite nicely. Basically the cars wheels flip down the the delorean's to allow them hover capabilities, but i do agree that there needs to be some sort of transformation capability for using them in Lemuria. Batflight looks terribly awkward when it could just as easily turn into a swarm of piranha. Also it looks weird when summon animals can change to sharks in water but not hawks or pterodactyls when in air. instead you just get a weird stuck in a bubble animation on land animals floating behind you.

PLEASE DON'T DO THAT TO OUR VEHICLES. I don't want my car driving underwater.
  • flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We could use a hearse and instead of weapons, we get Gangster ghosts with machine guns coming out of the top of the back part...

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Why am I suddenly getting an image of Grond on a space hopper :/

Sexual frustration?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I expect the various clown toons are looking forward to all this.
    Soon... SOON! Soon they will have a clown car, where most clowns have teleport, but one has a vehicle, so they can all get out of the car one by one in a long line until eventually the Archclown comes out, making the car disappear.
    It is...
    A part of a scenario that we ALL wish for.
    *pushes up sunglasses dramatically before a seagull attacks me and I run away*
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Vehicles and a cape glide travel have been major requests of mine since I first started playing Champions. I just really hope we see some ground based vehicles (motor bike, armored car etc) get introduced during phase II of the vehicle update this fall!
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Vehicles and a cape glide travel have been major requests of mine since I first started playing Champions. I just really hope we see some ground based vehicles (motor bike, armored car etc) get introduced during phase II of the vehicle update this fall!

So YOU are the one to blame that the next great exciting content for the next 6 months
    or whatever will now be only vehicles, vehicles and even moar vehicles ? :eek:

ok .. just joking :biggrin:

.. not about the next coming new "content" however. When Cryptic says how "excited"
    they all are, we can expect that we now only get that stuff the next time. Just remember
    how "excited" they all always were for every new Alert :rolleyes:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    So YOU are the one to blame that the next great exciting content for the next 6 months
    or whatever will now be only vehicles, vehicles and even moar vehicles ? :eek:

ok .. just joking :biggrin:

Oh you better believe it!