test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New CO Character Builder: CO-Forge

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited June 2012 in Power Discussion
I have spent several months working on a champions online character builder and I think I am finally ready to release it to the general public. It was written entirely using FileMaker Pro which allows me to create runtime solutions for Windows and Mac OSX. The non-runtime version can be run on an iPad (I recommend iPad3 due to speed issues). There is still a lot left to fix/tweak on it, but I feel that it is good enough now to be used by the general public for doing Archetype and Freeform builds.

What works well:
SuperStats
Innate Talent
Talents
Powers
Spec Tree

Most of the major issues are listed under the "About" section in the program. That being said here is what I can think of off the top of my head...

Known issues:
- Missing graphics for spec tree abilities - If anyone wants to volunteer to supply the images matched with the names of the spec tree abilities, I would greatly appreciate it as my time is limited.
- Missing "Blast" descriptors for powers that are affected by spec tree abilities affecting "blast" type powers
- Export function for Archetype builds are currently formatted the same as freeform/custom builds for the level labels of the selected powers. This should be fixed by the next release.
- Gear is a work in progress and has lower priority than the other areas currently so please bear with me as I can find the time to make this area more functional. If you find there are any missing attributes for gear, please let me know.
- Stat Substats - Some work, some do not. Recent patches have forced me to scrap many of the calculations that I finally had working. If you are aware of a current accurate calculation for a substat please feel free to pass it along to me along with a link to the source so I can attempt to verify it. I don't want to spend a lot of time fixing calcs over and over again if I don't have to. :)
- Under iOS, the description area for Advantages may need to be "tapped on" in order to get it to refresh the description contents for the currently selected advantage. I am working on this issue and should have a fix by the next release.

I do not yet have a website to host the files, so I have them hosted from my Dropbox account currently. If you have any ideas on a good place to host the files for a speedier download I would appreciate it.

FYI: This is being distributed as free software.

Windows Runtime 64.2 MB
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18365301/CO-Forge_WIN.zip

Mac OSX Runtime 82.6 MB
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18365301/CO-Forge_OSX.zip

iPad 3 - iOS (FileMaker GO v12 for iOS Required - It's Free!) 56.9 MB
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18365301/CO-Forge_iOS.fmp12

FileMaker Desktop (Unlocked Version) 15.5 MB
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18365301/CO-Forge_SRC.zip

If you own a copy of FileMaker Advanced v12 or FileMaker Pro v12 or even FileMaker Pro v12 Trial, you can use the unlocked version to peek under the hood to see how it is all done. :)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    FYI: I edited my original post, but for those of you who have already tried to download the iOS version, I appologize for omitting the necessary information about you needing to install FileMaker GO first on your iPad before downloading the iOS version of CO-Forge.

Update: You may need to open FileMaker Go and exit out of the tutorial file that it opens automatically when you first install it. Otherwise you may not see CO-Forge open up when you send the file over to FileMaker Go when the download completes.
    edited June 2012
    Cool thanks a lot. I look forward to playing with it.
    edited June 2012
    Hi

Nice work so far :)

I noticed one bug however .. when editing the talents, the first and second rows are swapped.

For DEX for example the first row has to be the one with Gear Utilisation, for Warden the one with Ruthless,
    for Vindicator the one with Merciless. However they are always on Top and not on the Bottom.

On question : Where is the data saved .. in the CO-Forge_RT.fmpur ?

Another thing .. the Directory really is huge .. 208 MB even after i deleted the MS Stuff. Do i need all the
    Languages under Extensions or can i delete most of that stuff ?
    edited June 2012
    I've been trying it on my Ipad and it's a nice program. A couple of nitpicks though:

- When selecting Superstats, it would be nice to have a conformation button instead of immediatly selecting them. That way you can more easily compare them without actually selecting them.

- When looking at the powers, when selecting categories like archery or gadgeteering, the description in the middle-right screen contains HTML-code.

- When choosing you're innate and talents, the descriptive text (for example: Healthy Mind, +5 Con, +5 Int). The +5 Con, +5 Int part is in black. And the button in that area is also darker, making it difficult to read. Perhaps making it lightblue or a lightyellow would make it more readable.

All in all, it´s a nice program. I can see myself using it while in the Powerhouse, saves me a lot of alt-tabbing :cool:

Keep up the good work.
    edited June 2012
    Beldin2 wrote:
    Hi
    I noticed one bug however .. when editing the talents, the first and second rows are swapped.

For DEX for example the first row has to be the one with Gear Utilisation, for Warden the one with Ruthless,
    for Vindicator the one with Merciless. However they are always on Top and not on the Bottom.

I got all my info off of the forums for the spec tree powers and since I do not have a lvl 40 Custom myself leveled up yet, I had to rely on what was posted on the forums in the order it was posted. Many updates have been made to that information after I pulled it from the forums and I can now see it has been more clearly defined. I will update this ASAP and get an update out hopefully by tomorrow.
    Beldin2 wrote:
    One question : Where is the data saved .. in the CO-Forge_RT.fmpur ?

Another thing .. the Directory really is huge .. 208 MB even after i deleted the MS Stuff. Do i need all the
    Languages under Extensions or can i delete most of that stuff ?

I do believe the data is stored in the CO-Forge_RT.fmpur. I am not completely sure which files are necessary and which are not. FileMaker handles the compiling and bundling of all the files for the runtime solution. I would imagine that the language files you do not use are probably not necessary so long as your OS is not configured to use said language.
    edited June 2012
    I've deleted all Language directories but English and German, and seems to work so far ;)
    edited June 2012
    Azari3l wrote:
    - When selecting Superstats, it would be nice to have a conformation button instead of immediatly selecting them. That way you can more easily compare them without actually selecting them.

Currently CO-Forge selects and moves on to the next superstat once you pick a power, I will turn off the option that auto-picks and moves you to the next slot. That way you can just tap/click on the next slot when you are ready for it.
    Azari3l wrote:
    - When looking at the powers, when selecting categories like archery or gadgeteering, the description in the middle-right screen contains HTML-code.

FileMaker Go v12 does not behave the same as FM Go v11 did with the web viewer, (I'm hoping for a fix in the next patch update of FM Go so I can change things back to the way they were.) As a result I did some quick changes to how data was displayed - I must have missed seeing that issue in my rush to get things working on iOS. I should have that fixed by my next update.
    Azari3l wrote:
    - When choosing you're innate and talents, the descriptive text (for example: Healthy Mind, +5 Con, +5 Int). The +5 Con, +5 Int part is in black. And the button in that area is also darker, making it difficult to read. Perhaps making it lightblue or a lightyellow would make it more readable.

I will tweak the colors to make it more legible. Glad you like it! :)
    edited June 2012
    Is this an ONLINE build planner like THIS?
    Or a PC/MAC build planner like THIS?
    edited June 2012
    It is an iPad/PC/Mac/ build planner currently. In the future, after this version is working well, I will look into finding a way to host it as a web based planner as well. FileMaker is flexible enough to allow me to go that route, but it will require some changes to the way it is currently built.
    edited June 2012
    Shame it isn't Android friendly. Luckily Powerhouse is.
    edited June 2012
    guys can some one help me i need talent help and stat build

im building a costume framework

shadow bolt
    shadow blast
    void shift
    Breakaway Shot
    Two-Gun Mojo
    Pyre
    shadow form
    form of tempest
    Force Geyser
    Ebon Ruin
    devoure essence
    eye of storm
    sonic device
    summon drones
    edited June 2012
    I don't understand why all the builders can't collaborate. Rox has maintained the champs builder and it's really a shame for all the work to go to waste.
    edited June 2012
    Competition is a good thing.
    edited June 2012
    Helbjorn wrote:
    Competition is a good thing.
    Only if you're getting paid for it ;)
    edited June 2012
    Lohr wrote:
    Rox has maintained the champs builder and it's really a shame for all the work to go to waste.
    You make it sound inevitable. That will only happen if it's an inferior product. Is that what you're implying?

I happen to like the original ChampionsBuilder very much and am eagerly awaiting the finished update. In the meantime, there is a need to be filled. The PowerHouse works well, but I'm open to better alternatives. To not be so is rather self-defeating.
    edited June 2012
    I don't see the harm in having alternatives. I don't think that my solution makes anything anyone else has done already less significant or less useful. Powerhouse is a great lightweight solution for doing builds. Champion Builder is also a great tool as well and has a MUCH smaller footprint than my solution.

My solution is a bit more heavy handed by comparison, but I I have made it that way intensionally.
    I love having the images and data that cause my solution to have a larger data footprint. I also want more features for doing builds than what is available currently in other solutions. (Talent and Power filters, Gear, Calculations, etc.)

In any case, to think that my opinions will speed up or cause someone else to implement a given feature that I want is not too realistic IMO. Developers generally have limited time to spend on free software projects like these, so they have to pick new features and spend their time wisely.
    edited June 2012
    Ok, i'm willing to see what happens then :cool:

May i suggest ALL threads for "build planners" go in the "Builds & Roles" section (when the forums reboots) so they're easier to find? ;)
    edited June 2012
    ubtri wrote:
    Shame it isn't Android friendly. Luckily Powerhouse is.

Unfortunately, FileMaker Go is not on the Android platform currently. I hope FileMaker will create a version for Android, but there are no guarantees.

Powerhouse will always have a place IMO because it is lightweight, clean, simple, and to the point.

FYI, I am working on an interface for the iPhone that will be more "lightweight" since there is no room for all of my fancy graphics etc. It will be rolled out in the somewhat near future. I will keep you all up to date on it's progress as it gets closer to being completed. I may also make a lightweight version for the iPad at the same time as well in case people are running low on available memory.
    edited June 2012
    Helbjorn wrote:
    You make it sound inevitable. That will only happen if it's an inferior product. Is that what you're implying?

I happen to like the original ChampionsBuilder very much and am eagerly awaiting the finished update. In the meantime, there is a need to be filled. The PowerHouse works well, but I'm open to better alternatives. To not be so is rather self-defeating.

It has nothing to do with quality. It has everything with the fact that Rox is done with CO and he will no longer be maintaining it.
    edited June 2012
    When I started this project, I was working in a bubble for the most part. I have not been on the forums up until the time I posted this, and the only feedback I had was from a close friend who has played CO for a very long time. I am still working on getting my first character up to lvl 40. :) I was frustrated with not having all the information I wanted in one place, so I started doing this for myself more than anything else.

May I just say that I am truly and sincerely sad that Rox will not be working on the Champion Builder project anymore. My personal and deeply felt thank you goes out to Rox and to everyone who has worked on that project up until now. I hope that someone else might take up the reigns on the java side and continue it's development.
    edited June 2012
    Kromdom wrote:
    Unfortunately, FileMaker Go is not on the Android platform currently. I hope FileMaker will create a version for Android, but there are no guarantees.

Powerhouse will always have a place IMO because it is lightweight, clean, simple, and to the point.

FYI, I am working on an interface for the iPhone that will be more "lightweight" since there is no room for all of my fancy graphics etc. It will be rolled out in the somewhat near future. I will keep you all up to date on it's progress as it gets closer to being completed. I may also make a lightweight version for the iPad at the same time as well in case people are running low on available memory.

Thx fo the response. Android OS is now a larger market than iOS, and I've long dreamed of an app for it much like this. At any rate, I appreciate your efforts for a mobile app and if I was an Apple user I would be extremely grateful! :)
    edited June 2012
    I have completed my fixes per what has been mentioned in the forums here.

I have added the text descriptions from Dr.Sage's spec tree thread to the Spec tree powers to make your (and my) decision making process a little more straight forward. I have also fixed the export for archetypes. This function should now output the powers in a manner that is formatted correctly.

I updated my About info for the " thank you " area to include a couple of people that I missed.

The remaining bugs that I have not mentioned still need to be addressed.

Happy building!
    edited June 2012
    May i suggest ALL threads for "build planners" go in the "Builds & Roles" section (when the forums reboots) so they're easier to find? ;)

Is there a way for me to move this over, or should I just repost the info there?
    edited June 2012
    Kromdom wrote:
    Is there a way for me to move this over, or should I just repost the info there?
    ...(when the forums reboots) so they're easier to find? ;)
    ...You'll have to redo the thread, my suggestion was for it's NEW location at that time :D
    edited June 2012
    Kromdom wrote:
    May I just say that I am truly and sincerely sad that Rox will not be working on the Champion Builder project anymore. My personal and deeply felt thank you goes out to Rox and to everyone who has worked on that project up until now. I hope that someone else might take up the reigns on the java side and continue it's development.

Rox was never a Java Programmer as far as i know. He started a new Project in VB, but now he left and
    maybe Sleetstack (?) will continue the project.
    edited June 2012
    Sounds really awesome what your working on! Your doing everyone a favour.

So thanks from me in advance

xx
    edited June 2012
    ...You'll have to redo the thread, my suggestion was for it's NEW location at that time :D

I have reposted this in the Builds and Roles section. Thanks for the info!

IMPORTANT: Anyone using iOS that already downloaded the previous version should re-read my new post in the Builds and Roles section for information about a smoother transition to the next version.
    edited June 2012
    Kromdom wrote:
    I have reposted this in the Builds and Roles section. Thanks for the info!...
    When the board reboots on monday, you'll have to to do it again, don't forget.
    That was my original point ;)

The boards will will be "archived" and uneditable :p
    edited June 2012
    Definitely awesome, so thank you for this! Still slightly new to the game and getting used to the stats for my toon is something I don't excel at. So this has helped me figure out a lot more about pushing my character's dps and what stats and talents I should work for!

As well as preplanning..because thats always fun!
    edited June 2012
    Lohr wrote:
    It has nothing to do with quality. It has everything with the fact that Rox is done with CO and he will no longer be maintaining it.

Why is he done with it?

Last I knew he got his character implemented into the game as the face of an AT and powerset. What was his reason for leaving?
    edited June 2012
    Why is he done with it?

Last I knew he got his character implemented into the game as the face of an AT and powerset. What was his reason for leaving?
    Read the thread, he explains it all THERE ;)