test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about Hero System 6

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I'm trying to get some friends into PnP RPGs. They love games like GTA:San Andreas and Saints Row. So, I'm looking through modern setting PnP RPGs and I was wondering if it's possible to do a Saints Row like scenario/campaign using the Hero System 6 rules.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2012
    It's possible, but it would probably be a low point game, talking between 25 to 100 character points starting out and of course would drop any reference to super powers and such.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Well....actually, no. Regarding the super powers. They've agreed to do it in this setting I've been writing short stories about for awhile called Free Saints City.

Mental Powers (Telekinesis, Telepathy)
    Super Strength
    Elemental KinesIs (Aero, Cryo, Geo, Electro, Pyro and Hydro)

Although, those with powers are experiments of the Raven Corporation, which is a multibillion dollar corporation and a world wide criminal corporation. They're also responsible for the zombie outbreak in the southern half of the Industrial District of Free Saints City.

Besides Raven Corp's mutants, there's also House Carstein, a street gang whose higher ranking members are all vampires, and The Blood Pack, whose higher ranking members take a serum that gives them super strength and increases their body mass.

The entire universe of Free Saints City has a comic book feel, reason why I was considering Hero System 6. Only difference between Champions Universe and the Free Saints City Universe, besides the fact that they obviously have much different backstory, is that in the FSC Universe, having super powers is rare, but still possible if you; A. Get kidnapped by the Raven Corporation. B. Belong to House Carstein. or C. Belong to The Blood Pack...or steal their serum.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You can do pretty much ANYTHING in HERO system, so, yes, you could certainly use it for the campaign you've outlined. The basic rules are completely setting-neutral.

It makes it complex to set up a setting from scratch, though, hence the existence of Champions, Fantasy Hero etc etc setting and genre books. They basically provide a detailed guide to how you apply the HERO system rules to create any particular setting.

Depending on how commonplace the various 'enhanced' groups you mention are, and how 'powerful' their powers are, you could either use the Champions material - but maybe build the characters with somewhat lower CPs - or maybe look at the 'Dark Champions' setting, which is biased more towards knife and gun type combat with 'powers' being either more rare, less powerful, or more limited.

But, in short, yes, you could use HERO 6 to do what you're planning.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Basically, the CP system allows people to design their weapons and so forth. It's not limited to powers or anything.