test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No available character slot

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Gameplay Bugs
Tried to create a new character using the new Radiant archetype.
Made up a costume and hit 'Create', but then it said I had no available character slots, and exited to the login screen.

I am currently silver.
I have 6 inactive gold characters, 4 silver characters, and 6 unused character slots.
Why can't I make a new character?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I'm not sure on all of your details but it sounds like you were gold at some point which grants you 8 slots. When you drop back down to silver you lose 6 of these slots (excluding extra slots you actually purchased and possibly slots you unlocked by getting gold characters to level 40).
    edited April 2012
    Same issue I'm having. Thought I'd come back to see what's changed with the big patch and since my roster shows two open slots and my other characters are all Gold/Freeform, I hafta make a new character. Except then it claims I have no available slots.

Being the fool I am, I figured hell, I have 1390 CP on my account, I'll just buy two slots and that should work. Except now my screen shows I have 4 empty slots and yet I still can't make a new character AND I'm down 1200 or whatever CP for the two empty slots I can't use. -.-
    edited April 2012
    I'm not sure on all of your details but it sounds like you were gold at some point which grants you 8 slots. When you drop back down to silver you lose 6 of these slots (excluding extra slots you actually purchased and possibly slots you unlocked by getting gold characters to level 40).

No, I got a bunch of those Service Grab Bag character slot items while I was silver and pumped by silver character slots up to 10 with 'em.
    edited April 2012
    I deleted one of my Silver characters (Tex Mechs, if you're curious), in order to try out a Radiant. Same story - got through character creation, gave him a cool costume and unique backstory, clicked on "I'm Ready!", and - "No character slot available", and booted out to the login screen. I did confirm I'm able to log into an existing character (and gave Skyfire his retcon). I'll try character creation again, just on the off-chance that logging in fixed it...
    edited April 2012
    Well at least I'm not alone. I ended up just converting my old 'Radiant' freeform into an actual Radiant AT, figured it'd probably be better than my own lackluster attempts at working with Celestial. Can play him fine, but still no luck with any of my open character slots!
    edited April 2012
    Okay >: | I am going through the same issue. I can't create a new char for my silver account. The thing is before the update, I had no problem. I was a gold member but changed to silver. During my gold I purchased the two slots but later converted them when I became a silver member. I had four slots for silver and I created three chars. I deleted one and created another one. After the update I tried to create another one with my remaining slot but "No available character slot," came up. I deleted the recent char thinking I could just use that slot and again I was treated to the NACS message. I really hope this can be fixed within the next 24 hours...
    edited April 2012
    Ditto here. Was a subscriber. Happy they finally added a Celestial archetype. I have 4 "silver" slots free, but it won't let me make a new character.

Hope this gets fixed soon.
    edited April 2012
    Posted in the other topic about the same thing. The account I had used to be gold but I have bought two additional slots and created all 4 of the characters under Silver status. Deleted one to create a Radiant character and received the error as others.
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, no, playing an existing character didn't help. And I'm so looking forward to trying out Airlift (a former 'Nam combat medic, given a second chance at life in exchange for devoting himself to Life...).
    edited April 2012
    Wheewwww! Thank goodness, I really thought I was alone in this. So can we get a Dev or somebody to comment on this????
    edited April 2012
    My friend and I also cannot create new characters.
    edited April 2012
    Wheewwww! Thank goodness, I really thought I was alone in this. So can we get a Dev or somebody to comment on this????

A dev contacted me ingame about this problem.
    Said it only affects certain accounts.
    As of this morning, they're looking into the problem.

I let 'em know that my account was Gold to Silver, and my extra character slots all came from Service Grab Bag CharSlot devices.

Doesn't sound like you all share that last condition. So, dunno what's causing it.
    edited April 2012
    Yeah same problem (old gold account). Deleted even my last silver char. Still can't create new chars. :rolleyes:
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, exactly same problem here. :/
    edited April 2012
    Update.
    I have free char slots but can still not create new chars. However I transformed a lvl 21 gold char (freeform) to a silver char (mind at). At last, I can play again. :p
    edited April 2012
    Its 5:44pm EST and I still cannot create a character
    edited April 2012
    Jones52j wrote:
    Its 5:44pm EST and I still cannot create a character
    It's also Saturday. While it might be nice if Cryptic could afford to pay the programmers OT to work this weekend, I'm not holding my breath. It would be nice if they'd fix this first thing Monday morning, though (that'd be about 10am your time)...
    edited April 2012
    Wow. I thought it was me not understanding something and am glad to see this thread!

Haven't played Champs since January and stopped my subscription. Figured I'd test the waters after the patch with my first AT to see if it's worth subbing again, and got hit with this message despite apparently having several free slots. Good to know I'm not alone with this problem!
    edited April 2012
    It just looks bad when you put out a patch that is huge for the game and you cant even play it
    edited April 2012
    Count me in as another silver/former gold with the same bug.
    edited April 2012
    Same issue for me. I even deleted one silver and one gold character to see if it would somehow free up space. It didn't. I submitted a ticket, but it's not showing up so far...
    edited April 2012
    I keep running into the same issue as well. I've swapped back and forth between Gold and Silver a few times. I have at least four empty character slots that I've paid for with C points. I can convert my Gold to Silver and play, but any time I make a character, I get the No Character Slot Available message and get dropped out to the log in screen. I really hope this gets fixed soon.
    edited April 2012
    I shall cross my fingers that the Cryptic guys and gals see this when they come to work on Monday, and manage to fix it.
    edited April 2012
    I hope so too. I was hoping to play this weekend.
    edited April 2012
    Me and a friend are suffering from this too after we decided to start new chars after the update. I suspect it's now counting gold characters as taking up a slot even though they aren't playable. I have three silver slots with only one silver character but I have two gold characters also (deleted a few to try and fix this). Unfortunately I don't really want to delete any of my two gold characters to test my theory. :(
    edited April 2012
    SteelBison wrote:
    Me and a friend are suffering from this too after we decided to start new chars after the update. I suspect it's now counting gold characters as taking up a slot even though they aren't playable. I have three silver slots with only one silver character but I have two gold characters also (deleted a few to try and fix this). Unfortunately I don't really want to delete any of my two gold characters to test my theory. :(

This isn't the case.
    I have more free character slots than I have inactive Gold characters.
    And still it says I have no slots available.
    edited April 2012
    Same issue here, former Gold, can't log any Silvers. Same message and logout after. Tried deleting all Silvers, to "make room", but it didn't solve anything.
    edited April 2012
    Bumping back up to the first page. This is a lot more serious than Questionite issues, or coloring bird feathers...
    edited April 2012
    Still having issues, I sent a ticket and got a reply but didn't help...

Please first restart your computer and network hardware and try again before trying anything else.

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

I just want to create a Hero or two... :(
    edited April 2012
    ironmic wrote:
    Still having issues, I sent a ticket and got a reply but didn't help...

Please first restart your computer and network hardware and try again before trying anything else.

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

I just want to create a Hero or two... :(
    Yeah, that reply obviously came from someone who didn't read the issue at hand.

Guys, we can run the game just fine. If we have existing Silver characters, we can play them. But even if we have slots available, and even if we go through the character creation process on those open slots, we can't finish creating those characters and play them!
    edited April 2012
    I have a feeling that this is Cryptic's scheme to get me to start subbing again.
    edited April 2012
    I wonder if there are any affected Gold accounts.
    edited April 2012
    I'm having the same problem. I haven't logged in some weeks, saw the update and tried to do it, but I wanted to start with a new character. I had an available slot and after I carefully created my character and tried to start, BAM! "No available character slot". I deleted an old silver character in order to free up another character slot, and same problem.

Note that before this update I never had such a problem. Having all my gold characters there and only one slot available I could easily create another silver characters. I don't want to suscribe again, at least not for the moment (I have other expenses I need to take care of), and I sure as hell not going to pay for a service that screws the consumers. I want this fixed, and I'm clearly not the only one.
    edited April 2012
    Just piping up to say I'm in the same boat. I deleted a silver character, then tried to create a new one to play the new healing archetype and I got, "No available character slot."

Hopefully this gets fixed soon. You'd think they'd want people to play healers. =P
    edited April 2012
    I've posted two tickets over this, and both have vanished from my ticket list. I've also received no automated response. I'm starting to wonder if they even know about this.
    edited April 2012
    same issue, former gold, now a silver account. deleted a silver toon to make room for a new AT i wanted to make. Click the empty slot to create. go through the whole process, then unavailable character slot. Also have star trek online on same account, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Deleted an old gold character too to make "room" and no luck.

Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    edited April 2012
    also having this issue, I can't play the game at all
    edited April 2012
    This is bug. Something similar happened in STO, where silver players were unable to create characters for making Foundry episodes, though they had a few slots available.
    edited April 2012
    Any dev posts here? I mean I would like to be able to create a character....
    edited April 2012
    Okay, I filed a bug report on this the other day, boggled for a moment at the fact that the ticket number was so huge (closing in on 2 million, IIRC), and figured it might take some time to show in the queue.

I just went to look at my tickets on the Support page. The only one showing is for an issue that was resolved months ago. This issue seems to have vanished down the oubliette (no relation). What the frak, devs?
    edited April 2012
    Other people have also reported that their support tickets regarding this issue have dissapeared. It's like the devs know about this problem but are trying to pretend it doesn't exist.

I don't know if their intention is that we all pay for gold accounts or delete all of our previous characters in order to play. I'm sure as heck not doing it. I have a couple of silver characters, but I don't want to play as them. I want to create a new one. And I have enough free slots. Why am I not allowed to do it then?

As an aside, I tried to convert a gold character to silver in order to log in, sell its loot, delete it and free up another slot, but the game wouldn't let me. I didn't get an error message, I just wrote the name of the character (as you're told to do when you want to turn a gold toon into a silver one), accepted and nothing happened. I tried it twice. And no, I don't need a retrain token for it. The first time it's free.

I just want to play the game again, Cryptic (or whomever is in charge now), why won't you let me? Why won't you let us?
    edited April 2012
    Dreadjaws wrote:
    I just want to play the game again, Cryptic (or whomever is in charge now), why won't you let me? Why won't you let us?

Well that's easy. They don't want our money. I mean what business operates for MONEY, that's just silly! Clearly players that aren't able to play the game are players who won't be spending money on it, referring friends to it, or raising hype about it. ^.^ They have it all figured out!
    edited April 2012
    OK, obviously I don't work for Cryptic and have no idea how their support system works. But I can tell you how the support at my work functions...

We frequently receive emails stating that a particular system problem us a known issue and told not to report the issue. Any further reports that are made on the issue are immediately marked as 'resolved'. We were told that, once the issue is known, they don't want the additional reports because it clogs the support queue and slows down their ability to identify other unknown issues. Marking them as 'resolved' is the only way to remove them from the queue...

IF that is the way Cryptic's system works, that may be why these reports are being removed from the support queue. The problem hasn't actually been resolved, but its a known issue that they are working on so they are clearing the 'duplicate' reports to help identify other issues...
    edited April 2012
    So I received a response to my ticket. It directed me to the release notes for on alert which has this:
    Some players are reporting being unable to create a new character even though they have available/empty character slots. We are looking into this issue, and will provide a fix in the next update.

So, don't expect a fix until the next update, whenever that is.
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I'm having the same problem, just bought The Mountain AT and deleted one of my Silver heroes to make room only to find out I can't play with the AT I just bought.

Kinda making me not want to play the game anymore.
    edited April 2012
    zomd wrote:
    So I received a response to my ticket. It directed me to the release notes for on alert which has this:

So, I'm pretty much banned from making a new character until then? I need to relearn the game to get back into it, and that means a new character. Yeesh, how about a hot fix?
    edited April 2012
    AnunC8 wrote:
    So, I'm pretty much banned from making a new character until then? I need to relearn the game to get back into it, and that means a new character. Yeesh, how about a hot fix?

Yeah, I guess not before the finish with Neverwinter and have the resources. :p

To bad, the new "On Alert" is a big steep in the right direction and I like it but without support, yuck.

FYI consequence on my end, instead creating here a new char and I still can't (lost one slot on top of it), lets say I just resub yesterday to a other game and now play a staff fighting char there. ;)

So, see you next month..............................
    edited April 2012
    zomd wrote:

"Some players are reporting being unable to create a new character even though they have available/empty character slots. We are looking into this issue, and will provide a fix in the next update. "

Well, at least someone got an answer. It would have been nice, though, if the devs had let us know about it in this thread, so we wouldn't be in the dark about it. Wait, "nice" is not the word, "appropiate" is. Well, I do have lots of other games to pay attention to. Let's see if all this waiting doesn't take away my wanting to play this one.
    edited April 2012
    Okay, we waited patiently. The new patch is in, and installed.

I STILL CAN'T MAKE A NEW CHARACTER!!!!
    edited April 2012
    I'm going to have to add my name to the list of former golds unable to create a new character because of the patch. I have actually created two new characters since dropping my subscription and had no problems until now. Very annoying, as I have been looking forward to creating a depressed celestial for some time.
    I should also mention that I was giving Cryptic the benefit of the doubt here, thinking that as they had been alerted to the issue it would be fixed in the patch. I am disappointed that it was not.