test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Real Life or Fictional City do YOU campaign in?

2»

Comments

• logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    OH OH! Do you ever go the The Black Bull ( thats just up from the Rockstar North building ...NERDGASIM XD ). I play pool there whenever I am in Edinburgh ^_^

I was wanting to go there this Hogmanay but Sandy made a bit of a mess so I've postponed my trip till March, sadly this will mean my bro will destroy my apartment with a wild party this New Year :/

PS: Sorry for calling your City creepeh....but it is creepeh. Last time I was there in the middles of January last year I was in a store called CeX buying some games and beside me was ..well it was some guy dressed as Jason @_@"

But its a very beautiful city a place everyone must visit I say.

Also good for Champs campaigns ^__^

Heh. Sounds like if it's a "creepy" city, that it's the cool kind of creepy. Or at least useful for the atmosphere of a campaign.

Hm... speaking of gothic creepiness and Cities in England - anyone ever see the "Neverwhere" mini-series by Neil Gaiman? Or the novelization of same?

I'm not sure of the type of campaign you could make in such a setting. I believe I remember a conversation with a friend of mine about the setting and characters reminding him of some of the old "World of Darkness" setting/guide books. "London Below" would make a VERY interesting campaign setting if you could pull it off.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Heh. Sounds like if it's a "creepy" city, that it's the cool kind of creepy. Or at least useful for the atmosphere of a campaign.

Hm... speaking of gothic creepiness and Cities in England - anyone ever see the "Neverwhere" mini-series by Neil Gaiman? Or the novelization of same?

I'm not sure of the type of campaign you could make in such a setting. I believe I remember a conversation with a friend of mine about the setting and characters reminding him of some of the old "World of Darkness" setting/guide books. "London Below" would make a VERY interesting campaign setting if you could pull it off.

Ack Edinburgh not in England its in Scotland...but yeah Neil Gaimen does create some wonderful worlds :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ack Edinburgh not in England its in Scotland...but yeah Neil Gaimen does create some wonderful worlds :D

Whoops! I should've said "Great Britain" if I wanted to include the entire island. (Or is that term not in use any more since Scotland gained independence?)
    edited January 2013
    Whoops! I should've said "Great Britain" if I wanted to include the entire island. (Or is that term not in use any more since Scotland gained independence?)

They aint Independent they have a devolved parliament that still answers to the UK parliament in London. Scotland can more or less break away from the UK if it so chooses.
    Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have parliaments and can all break away from the UK if the people vote for it. Also the Isle of Man is also its own tiny nation I think they also have their own parliament and a small bridge where you have to pay a fairy a toll or fairies will kill you in a motorcycle accident (actual fact) .

England on the other hand doesn't have its own parliament it just houses the UK one and cant vote itself out of the UK. But that said England has the highest population by tens of millions therefor is most powerful of all the UK nations.

Also the strangest of all is James the First of Scotland he is the man that created the UK and well obviously Scottish.

Yeah the UK is a very interesting collection of nations my student years in the UK were some good years ^.^
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • centcomm01centcomm01 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    we used Pheonix Arizona as the home base for our game. it had a 20+ year long history..
  • nievesnieves Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is only one city to campaign in: Hudson City!

Hudson City just has that certain something. Millennium City never grabbed me the way Hudson City did.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sorry for not responding earlier Nepht, I didn't see your response all those months ago......
    OH OH! Do you ever go the The Black Bull ( thats just up from the Rockstar North building ...NERDGASIM XD ). I play pool there whenever I am in Edinburgh ^_^

Heh, I know it well. I went in there now and again when pub-crawling along the Grassmarket. My favourite pubs, however , were the Peartree and the Blind Poet and my local, and ultimate favourite, was the Star Bar in the New Town. Good times:biggrin:
    I was wanting to go there this Hogmanay but Sandy made a bit of a mess so I've postponed my trip till March, sadly this will mean my bro will destroy my apartment with a wild party this New Year :/

I missed it too as I have now moved to Australia. Edinburgh was the best place for Hogmany...drinking whisky and partying in the street and getting snogs from strangers:biggrin:
    PS: Sorry for calling your City creepeh....but it is creepeh. Last time I was there in the middles of January last year I was in a store called CeX buying some games and beside me was ..well it was some guy dressed as Jason @_@"

Oh, it is creepy. One of our long running campaigns was as pulp type heroes based in Edinburgh battling against all sorts of Cthulhu cultists and the Unseelie Court.
    But its a very beautiful city a place everyone must visit I say

Hear, hear! We love visitors in Edinburgh
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sorry for not responding earlier Nepht, I didn't see your response all those months ago......

Heh, I know it well. I went in there now and again when pub-crawling along the Grassmarket. My favourite pubs, however , were the Peartree and the Blind Poet and my local, and ultimate favourite, was the Star Bar in the New Town. Good times:biggrin:

I missed it too as I have now moved to Australia. Edinburgh was the best place for Hogmany...drinking whisky and partying in the street and getting snogs from strangers:biggrin:

Oh, it is creepy. One of our long running campaigns was as pulp type heroes based in Edinburgh battling against all sorts of Cthulhu cultists and the Unseelie Court.

so which part did you move to?
    I'm in Western Australia, Skcarkden is in Eastern States somewhere(at least I think its him, Slug is in Serbia)

on topic, we used a fictional city in Kansas and then raided the internet for the actual Kansas universities.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    so which part did you move to?
    I'm in Western Australia, Skcarkden is in Eastern States somewhere

Oh, I'm in WA too. Moved to Perth (South Perth Suburb) 8 months ago. Before that I was in The Hague, Holland from where it was easy to go back home for some weekends and holidays 'cause Amsterdam airport is awesome and was only 30 mins by train from where I lived.

Where in WA are you?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited March 2014

Ack how odd, you move away from Edinburgh and I now stay there 24/7 XD
    WOW my post was ages ago when I was still staying in the states :V
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    haleakala wrote: »
    My current campaign is set in an alternate version of Shadowrun Seattle in 2032, one wherein (obviously) parahumans exist. For that, I;ve used the Shadowrun Wiki and the Shadowrun 2.0 rules book, as well as online maps (google is my friend).
    And this just misses being a thread necro but...

One of my favorite aspects of Shadowrun was hearing people who'd never been here try to pronounce some of the place names. For reference, Puyallup is pronounced "pyoo-AL-up", and the "e" in Sequim is silent. No, I don't know why Sequim has a silent "e". (It's also notable for being the driest spot on the west coast north of LA, as it's in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, I don't know why Sequim has a silent "e".

If it's a Salish word, it's probably a transliteration thing. See also: These new Spokane Indians jerseys that use the Salish spelling of the city's name.

SpokaneIndiansSalishJerseys_t400.jpg?fd5af0684d698ce74dd4392bafb4f89a6dc66ee3
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • fr0gurtfr0gurt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If it's a Salish word, it's probably a transliteration thing. See also: These new Spokane Indians jerseys that use the Salish spelling of the city's name.

SpokaneIndiansSalishJerseys_t400.jpg?fd5af0684d698ce74dd4392bafb4f89a6dc66ee3

Probably should also mention that it's pronounced "Spo-can", not "Spo-cane".
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh, I'm in WA too. Moved to Perth (South Perth Suburb) 8 months ago. Before that I was in The Hague, Holland from where it was easy to go back home for some weekends and holidays 'cause Amsterdam airport is awesome and was only 30 mins by train from where I lived.

Where in WA are you?

Midland, Ne of Perth.
    Soiuth perth, you're lucky, the Zoo is close by. Stop in and see the fat tailed dunnart, at least if you can spot it and the tawny frogmouths, where the main aim is to spot them in daylight.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited March 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    Midland, Ne of Perth.
    Soiuth perth, you're lucky, the Zoo is close by. Stop in and see the fat tailed dunnart, at least if you can spot it and the tawny frogmouths, where the main aim is to spot them in daylight.

Heh...so you're in Perth too :biggrin: I just got back from Oz Comicon, it was fun. And yeah, the Zoo is great. I'm a 'Friend of Perth Zoo' and go quite a lot. Mainly for the meerkats, otters, red panda and Tasmanian devils:biggrin:
    zrdRBy8.png