test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Concepts & Costumes: Ultimate Ninja

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Super News Network
The Ultimate Ninja costume set comes your way this week in Lead Artist Brad Stokan's most recent installment of the Concepts and Costumes Dev Diary. Click below to check it out.

Link to the Dev Diary
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    To sum that up in one word, I'd pick Epic.

I like the subtle, glowey power armor potential the first one has, looking forward to seeing what those'll look like in game.
    edited June 2011
    Set B looks great. I don't really like the little wing blade things on Set A, but all of the pieces in that set without the wing blade things look great. Can we have a with and without option for those? :D
    edited June 2011
    Ansler wrote:
    To sum that up in one word, I'd pick Epic.

Agreed. Completely.
    Also, did I read Fighting Claws weapon pack?!
    edited June 2011
    Wounder if Cryptic asked Gym Leader Koga for approval on this set? :eek:
    edited June 2011
    Outstanding...and in the name of the Quaternion, we need more fighting claws weapon skins!
    edited June 2011
    Dim-witted Saumrai: "ENEMY NINJA!"
    edited June 2011
    You keep making 'em, and I will keep buying 'em.

Keep up the good work, every new costume piece is uncountable added fun for me and the tailor.
    edited June 2011
    I agree with fatespuppet, the arm / leg blades on version 'A' (i think) are too reminicent of some parts already in-game.
    I absolutely love version 'B' though. Nice work.
    edited June 2011
    Set B looks great. I don't really like the little wing blade things on Set A, but all of the pieces in that set without the wing blade things look great. Can we have a with and without option for those? :D

I kind of have to agree with that. The antennae blades on the first one look a bit off. Personally I'd prefer something more swept back and sleek for a ninja. Make it look like hes moving fast even when standing still. I'd also like to see what it looks like without the big square shoulder pads and just the layered armor underneath, same thing with the spiked bracer plates keeping that layered armor beneath it oh and the spikes on the boots, would be nice to have those optional as well.

Overall I do like Set A a lot, all the spikes just don't live in my idea of a ninja. They're not bad or against the theme or anything but when it comes to making the set options would be nice. Oh, yeah I do hope the layered armor and the under mesh can be metal and leather (or cloth) respectively. From the concept it kinda looks as if they're both designed to be a tights option together but that's only because I have yet to see any really form fitting chest wear, arm accessory, leg accessory, or hip wear armor.
    edited June 2011
    Ninja B is awesome <^_^> Ninja A looks good too, but not as a ninja - it makes me think more "fantasy warrior' type.

>.> Though now I have the unfortunate urge to dance... and I'm hearing Vanilla Ice's "Ninja Rap" in the back of my head.

That's not healthy.

<.<

Go ninja go ninja go, go go ~ >.>/
    edited June 2011
    Both are AWESOME. Very pleased that I just rolled a single sword toon ^^
    edited June 2011
    Ah very Mortal Kombat in style, B is best of the 2 shown but i'd gladly wear either if i were a ninja :)
    edited June 2011
    I see bits and pieces of each that I'd use quite regularly.
    edited June 2011
    Set A reminds me of the League of Shadows as seen in Batman Begins. I dig it!
    edited June 2011
    I like it but Costume A needs a forehead plate that's less spiky and Gundam looking and more smooth and sleek.

Shinobi LINK and Ninja Gaiden LINK are sporting the the forehead/upper face standard for epic ninja wear.

Note that both of these guys are basically the standard for epic ninjas in video games and they are both rocking the same forehead gear. That makes this costume piece a must in my book.

Edit: an epic ninja bonus pic.
    Again the over sized forehead guard is a standard. (and this is something we don't already have some variation of)
    edited June 2011
    I have to say I'm not too keen on buying more claw models when there's not a single unlock in-game.
    edited June 2011
    Epic ninja-ness abound!

They look great, but I agree with most posts about those "wings" being unnecessary. It would look better without them and more streamlined as well as ninjas are.

An ornate forehead protector similar to Ryu Hayabusa's would fit nicely.
    edited June 2011
    So much epic it hurts!!

I've been wanting a 'cyborg ninja' set for the longest to make myself a higher tech, powered stealth suit.

Shave all the random spikes and Set A would be work great for that.

I hope this is the next one coming ; ;
    edited June 2011
    Please please please provide "plain" or solid pattern options for this set. It'd also be wonderful, if there are pieces that have blades/fins on them, to be able to use *just* the underlying armor plate w/o the extra blade/fins. Looks great, guys!
    edited June 2011
    Great pics and concepts...though the mention of a weapons pack stole the show for me :)
    edited June 2011
    So I can I just give you guys the money for this one now? I'm already sitting and redesigning several characters with these new looks. Oh and MOAR CLAWS!! \o/ *goes to fanboi squee*

*Edit*
    Oh and since we're getting pieces that have throwing knives on them any chance we could get a secondary animation choice for Shuriken Throw? Make it look like the throwing knife device from Resistance since the animation is there?
    edited June 2011
    Ok, first off: I like it... now to my real comment.

We have seen several concept drawings of costume sets from Golden Age to Pulp Hero to Ninja to Archer to Medieval Knight... When are we going to see some of these sets added to the game? There's nothing on the calendar about them yet... for that matter, there's nothing on the calendar beyond the end of June. Can you at least keep the calendar updated a month in advance? We understand that sometimes things on the calendar need to be changed but some clue as to what's coming next month would be very welcome.
    edited June 2011
    Galeforce wrote:
    Ok, first off: I like it... now to my real comment.

We have seen several concept drawings of costume sets from Golden Age to Pulp Hero to Ninja to Archer to Medieval Knight... When are we going to see some of these sets added to the game? There's nothing on the calendar about them yet... for that matter, there's nothing on the calendar beyond the end of June. Can you at least keep the calendar updated a month in advance? We understand that sometimes things on the calendar need to be changed but some clue as to what's coming next month would be very welcome.

Costume sets take a while, and concepts are often done in batches, and then worked on over a period of time after that. In addition, one of the reasons we like to show you guys concepts early, is to get feedback that we can use to iterate on the concept and improve it before it goes into actual production.

Having said that, I don't know offhand the planned release schedule in the upcoming months. But as I find myself saying a lot lately. . . we're working on stuff, even if it isn't apparent.
    edited June 2011
    Love them totally Epic and weapon Claws packs Awesome..
    I'd love to see a modern version pack also added similar to these.

Modern Ninja Link

Cyborg Ninja Link

Snake Link

Shadow Link

Snake 2 Link
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    While we are discussing the latest ninja-wear, what are the chances of getting a hips layer that matches up well with the ninja shirt that doesn't also have a sword built-in.

Makes that hip layer pretty useless for someone that doesn't use a sword (and doesn't want to just carry one around for kicks).

These looked okay. I am sure that "B" will be useful in parts. I would hope that "A" will be, as well.
    edited June 2011
    I'm surprised no ones made a Scorpion joke yet.
    Well I for one can't wait for the set to "Get over here!"
    edited June 2011
    Will buy. Do like.
    edited June 2011
    A strange choice, considering we already have a ninja set.

Still, looks great, several pieces I would probably make use of, and more claw models would definitely be welcome.
    edited June 2011
    How about making the missing parts for the Samurai armor next??
    edited June 2011
    I really like them both and would most likely buy them but I would love it if B's belt had the option to remove the knives since it could then be used by more characters
    edited June 2011
    I want to make a joke about this being a casual clothes set.
    But I don't think it would be socially acceptable. :p

But eh... Yay claws weapons!
    edited June 2011
    FlyingFinn wrote:

No no no... better idea:

Rebuild samurai armor from the ground up to be good, instead of garbage*. Preferably starting with "Using reference photos" instead of "making stuff up". (What? Pet peeve causes peevedness, this is not new!)

*Samurai armor is fine as armor. However it is not in any way shape or form anything but vaguely samurai-ish. Which is kind of sad.
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

Woohoo! <@_@&gt; *flips out and kills people*
    edited June 2011
    would purchase both of them, have a slight preference for the second, more traditional look since this game lacks a real "tucked in" legs option that looks good, and that would help out some concepts a lot, but i cna see myself using bits of the first on both martial artist characters and my giant robot guy.
    edited June 2011
    would purchase both of them, have a slight preference for the second, more traditional look since this game lacks a real "tucked in" legs option that looks good, and that would help out some concepts a lot, but i cna see myself using bits of the first on both martial artist characters and my giant robot guy.

Ive been looking for a baggy tucked in pants option as well.
    edited June 2011
    Nice but we have a few martial arts sets already. How about a non-robot steampunk or even a pure sorcery set guys.
    edited June 2011
    Would we be getting both sets for this if it were to come out? As of late we've been getting more for ours money's worth for costume packs.

Also, Set B looks very much like the ninja costume pieces we have now, except with blades attached to the armor pieces. I'd be rather bummed if we only got set B from this.
    edited June 2011
    Can I freely interpret this as 'more facemasks'? If so, you have me sold the second it comes out. :d
    edited June 2011
    FlyingFinn wrote:

If you are talking about the leg accessory of the samurai armor set missing on the right leg of the pants option, I was able to personally report that bug to a dev during the PTS event yesterday. He said he added it to his list, so lets hope that will be fixed quickly :D

And on topic:

I will definitely be buying this costume set.
    edited June 2011
    If you are talking about the leg accessory of the samurai armor set missing on the right leg of the pants option, I was able to personally report that bug to a dev during the PTS event yesterday. He said he added it to his list, so lets hope that will be fixed quickly :D

And on topic:

I will definitely be buying this costume set.

No, actually the upper/lowerbody, chestarmor, boots, gloves. What we got is helmet, facepieces, shoulders.

And yes, i'll be buying this set since i have bought earlier ones also...
    edited June 2011
    Loganius wrote:
    Would we be getting both sets for this if it were to come out? As of late we've been getting more for ours money's worth for costume packs.

Also, Set B looks very much like the ninja costume pieces we have now, except with blades attached to the armor pieces. I'd be rather bummed if we only got set B from this.

It looks a lot like what we have but it's got some pieces I know I've been wanting. First the top looks like it's gonna be full sleeve or at least the fact that it has sleeves. The pants remind me of the Gi Pants but tucked(yeas I know we have tucked pants now we could use but the designs I like from Gi Pants don't carry over). Also the feet options look better then the current Wrapped option we have which I've always felt was lacking. Also, I like the bracers on the new set better then the Ninja bracers we have now. All in all I'll be happy when this one is released.
    edited June 2011
    I like the look of these, and it seems like this set might actually have some really versatile parts, which is great. It's kinda strange how sometimes it's the most complicated, theme-oriented sets that actually have the most flexible pieces. I'm looking at you, Swamp King.

Tumer, you should buy the costume artists tacos this week. Then they can concentrate their "seeking food" processes on making these more awesome.
    edited June 2011
    I want that mask so hard...
    edited June 2011
    Flying Finn and mistformsquirrel hit the nail squarely on the head. Reference photography is a must have item for historical replicas. I have never seen (except in Champ. Online) any period of Japanese armor that has shoulder pieces that would be welcome in the Star Trek convention. I make due with a chain-mail base layer and pull as many appropriate hodgepodge items as I can. The EPIC SAMURAI faceplate and chest piece are my standards. For sloping shoulder armor I color the gladiator or knight shoulder pads an appropriate hue. I'm also partial to the EPIC SAMURAI hip layer if I'm building someone as accurately as possible.
    edited June 2011
    It's been nearly two years, three APs and four issues of Aftershock, and the Claws Powerset has been ignored Costume Creator-wise. It's a shame the claw weapon skin unlocks many of us have been requesting/wanting/waiting for since launch will require purchasing this set.

While this set looks nice, we already have a ton of 'ninja' gear and variations on that theme. Personally, I don't really need any more ninja/bladed long glove/bracer variants when there are plenty of other items the costume creator desperately needs...
    edited June 2011
    Whilst I love the looks, I too hope that set A has the option to exclude the blades and spikes on the armour and set B to exclude the knife strap on the thigh. Would definitely buy this set.
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm, I say, this game has too much cliche of putting wings/spikes on ninja-like items
    edited June 2011
    I was not to excited when I first heard about the idea of even more ninja stuff. But I couldn't help but falling in love with the partly insectoid look of the version 1 costume! It fits my favourite kind of superheroes just to well!
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/105/c/e/Kamen_Rider_Zoren_by_xero_vlade.jpg
    :D
    edited June 2011
    Both of these versions look great but I really like version b the best.

This would be a good set to introduce/add the missing cowl tight neck piece for females, especially since it would compliment so many other pieces. Hint, hint.:D