test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How long to level 1-40?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Champions Online Discussion
How long does it take to level 1 - 40 in this game?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    50 hours of play, on average.
    edited November 2010
    Depends on (among other things):
    • What build type you use (Offensive, Defensive, Support)
    • Where you go (Desert, Canada, Monster Island, Lemuria, Vibora Bay [Millenium City is a given])
    • If you take 'Teleport' as a travel power (and skip foes during travelling or inside instances)
    • If you spend the majority of your time teaming or solo'ing
    • If you chat alot, or none at all
    • How much time you spend in the Power House going over your build(s)
    I think the correct question would be "What's the fastest way to level to 40 in this game?"
    edited November 2010
    Depends on (among other things):
    • What build type you use (Offensive, Defensive, Support)
    • Where you go (Desert, Canada, Monster Island, Lemuria, Vibora Bay [Millenium City is a given])
    • If you take 'Teleport' as a travel power (and skip foes during travelling or inside instances)
    • If you spend the majority of your time teaming or solo'ing
    • If you chat alot, or none at all
    • How much time you spend in the Power House going over your build(s)
    I think the correct question would be "What's the fastest way to level to 40 in this game?"

What would be the best solo build for leveling and possibly pvp.
    edited November 2010
    Teleport/Stealth, Ranged DPS.

A. Teleport or Stealth enables you to quickly get through missions that have goals that only involve activating glowing items/collecting things. Since the most EXP is obtained from finishing missions, this allows you to skip parts that are, more or less, not necessary for quick levelling.
    B. For missions where the goal is to take down a single enemy, use ranged attacks that only hit one target, so that nearby enemies don't get annoyed as well.
    C. And for missions that require you to clear out enemies, area DPS allows you to take care of the big mobs without much problem, since most of the time they'll be a bunch of weaker villains/henchmen.
    D. Hell, reading the question again, this formula also works well for PvP if you choose your prime single-target attack to be defile. People will hate you for your kiting shenanigans, but it is a valid tactic. However, you'll probably want to focus on PvE, since a majority of the major PvP stuff I see is at level 40 anyway.
    edited November 2010
    Deleted post due to it not being good enough or humorous enough or understandable. Trolling was not intended, offense was unintentional, my suggestions were out of place, it appears.
    edited November 2010
    branix wrote:
    The fastest way to level is actually counter intuitive. For example...

1. Pick teleport. Then find some really tall buildings and try to teleport so high they appear to be needles. Then turn teleport off. Freefall for as long as you would like and enjoy the sensation.

2. If you go Munitions, take minigun and try to see how many bad guys you can line up and mow down. Battle Armor is especially fun because it allows you to move around.

3. If you go Might, go to the desert and use Room Cleaner on the cliffs to the left and right as you head into the desert. There are groups of messed up zombie-like irradiated bad guys who will happily follow you around as you lead them to the edge of the cliff, then maneuver yourself so they are between you and the cliff, then activate your Room Cleaner and hit them as hard as you can.

4. If you go to the snowy cold lands of Canada one thing to try out is vaccinating wolves as they chew you to pieces. Try to vaccinate the wolf pack leader before you have to kill him. Tons of fun as you watch your health drop like a rock.

5. If you go Dual Swords Canada is the place for you. It gives you a great chance to test yourself against other sword wielding freaks! Oh, and if you use Acrobatics you can perfect your jumping over their heads from one side to the other, over and over, while cutting them to pieces as they attempt to find you.

That's just 5 ideas to help you level very fast.

Hmm, I can't tell if you are attempting to be humorous or just plain trolling. But with your highest toon being only 12, I think we can safely say other people's advice is better, not least since some of the powers you mention don't exist or have different names. In any case, none of your suggestions are helpful.

Generally, farming master villains 5 levels above yours is the fastest way to do level, but maybe not much fun.
    edited November 2010
    Cervando wrote:
    Hmm, I can't tell if you are attempting to be humorous or just plain trolling. But with your highest toon being only 12, I think we can safely say other people's advice is better, not least since some of the powers you mention don't exist or have different names. In any case, none of your suggestions are helpful.

Generally, farming master villains 5 levels above yours is the fastest way to do level, but maybe not much fun.

Humorous - Yes.
    Trolling - Never.
    Other Peoples advice is better - Ok.
    Not specific enough - Yea.
    Suggestions not helpful - Well, maybe to someone who likes to have fun they were.

I deleted my post so the serious business of telling someone how long it will take to go from level 1-40 can continue without distraction.
    edited November 2010
    But out of curiosity...how long would it take to level to 40? Using an average build like you're just playing to play the game. Not trying to power level or anything.
    edited November 2010
    I can't really give you a time, but I'll put it this way:

I played a very long time now (as in being active ingame), and I still don't have a lvl 40 character.

My estimates would be two weeks of normal playing. (eg. a few hours a day.)
    edited November 2010
    Just finished getting my most recent character to 40 today ad was just over 40h. I wasn't really trying to power level as such but I know the zones, where all the missions are and what to do for them.

Was using a pretty survivable character with good damage and soloed most of the way except to team for Dr. Destroyers factory, Telios Tower and Burial Caves. Did VB and Lemuria Crises, but I skipped the zones, VB missions are really long and Lemuria is annoying for me with a melee toon.

It could probably be done faster, but I wasn't trying to rush like crazy. :p
    edited November 2010
    But out of curiosity...how long would it take to level to 40? Using an average build like you're just playing to play the game. Not trying to power level or anything.

Took me about a year :D

-Pi
    edited November 2010
    Pion wrote:

Took me about a year :D

-Pi

yeah, it probably took me ten months . . . and then two weeks later I had two more. I have several more in the 30s, i need to getthem up to snuff . .

I will try to remember to do teh /played on them and come back, let the OP know how long in actual play time it took. Just know that I do not rush my gaming.
    edited November 2010
    Fire or dual blades are probably the fastest way to hit 40, and as an addition both are good in pvp.
    edited November 2010
    Fire or dual blades are probably the fastest way to hit 40, and as an addition both are good in pvp.

I was going to say that dual blades cruises through content, and kills so fast you don't die, and I see it in ZA a lot . . . but since I don't keep track of figures and exact builds, I can't really back it up except to say 'Endorsed by speedknob'.
    edited November 2010
    This won't be totally accurate because I have done a little end game stuff - but very little. Once I hot 40, I tend to work on the next toon. And like I said, I have been in no hurry, don't rush to level.

Munitions = 7 days 7 hours

Might = 5 days 10 hours (When being might wasn't cool!)

Single blade = 5 days 23 hours

Don't know if that helps . . .
    edited November 2010
    oddTodd wrote:
    50 hours of play, on average.

^that's been about right for me on my 40's. depends on how much PvP I get into on any particular toon, of course, and how much boredom-related map-sweeping I might get into, dependent on the TP I've chosen, etc. I usually skip the desert and lemuria, too, but that's just a personal hangup I'm trying to get past lol.
    edited November 2010
    I can't really give you a time, but I'll put it this way:

I played a very long time now (as in being active ingame), and I still don't have a lvl 40 character.

My estimates would be two weeks of normal playing. (eg. a few hours a day.)

seems a lot longer for me.
    edited November 2010
    speedknob wrote:
    This won't be totally accurate because I have done a little end game stuff - but very little. Once I hot 40, I tend to work on the next toon. And like I said, I have been in no hurry, don't rush to level.

Munitions = 7 days 7 hours

Might = 5 days 10 hours (When being might wasn't cool!)

Single blade = 5 days 23 hours

Don't know if that helps . . .

So 143 hours to hit level 40? Wow...Didn't know it was that steep a climb.
    edited November 2010
    So 143 hours to hit level 40? Wow...Didn't know it was that steep a climb.

Like i said - I am in no hurry, and that's current hours . . . but I haven't done much after 40.

And last night I remembered - I spend a lot of time hanging out in CCs, and the time spent folding laundry . . .

I am not a good example if you want to know the minimum - but i don't think my progress is too uncommon.
    edited November 2010
    Took me about 3 weeks on my first 40 I think. At least I remember hitting 40 in sept 2009. Now if it was 2.5 weeks or 3 *shrug*. The 50 hours playtime someone else mentioned seem about right to me.
    But as said, a teleporter will level faster than a tunneler. And socializing will make the game more enjoyable and last longer ;)
    edited December 2010
    A year an a half later and I'm almost there, just 6 more lvls!
    edited December 2010
    yeah, there's playing the game and then there's experiencing the game . . .
    edited December 2010
    And then there it is, do you want to enjoy the game or just quickly level through it without giving a omnomnom what the story is about.

I personally like to enjoy every specs of a good game and play through it slowly.
    Or there will be no more games for me lol because all you will do is attack monsters and try to get boxes without the little details :D
    edited December 2010
    speedknob wrote:
    Like i said - I am in no hurry, and that's current hours . . . but I haven't done much after 40.

And last night I remembered - I spend a lot of time hanging out in CCs, and the time spent folding laundry . . .

I am not a good example if you want to know the minimum - but i don't think my progress is too uncommon.

Yeah, I don't think your progress is too uncommon. Both of my journeys to level 40s took between 120-160 hours. I won't claim to have been super attentive to the details of the missions, or meticulous about the items either. I just played at a relaxed pace, especially from the mid-level 20s onward.

It's not that I find a lack of things to do at 40, since I've played those characters 5 times as long as 40 as leveling them up, but if I could go back I would have leveled up even slower, much slower, since the journey to 40 only happens once per character. :)
    edited December 2010
    And then there is theme toons.
    Cowbot is leveling almost exclusively through the Desert. I log in the toon once every day or two, and do the repeatable mission in Snake Gulch, save all the hikers harassed by cowboy robots and defeat Ascii Oakley once. When myinventory is full, I run to Project Greenskin, defeat the ghost judge on the way, maybe a dozend irradiates for the 150 kill mission, empty my bags and run back to Snake Gulch.
    I've went to Snake Gulch at lvl 18 and am lvl 30 now, leaving the desert only for one Serpent Lantern run, one Destroyer Factory run and nemesis missions.

I do not expect Cowbot to reach 40 anytime soon. But he is the fastest cow in the west. Moo!
    edited December 2010
    isometry wrote:
    It's not that I find a lack of things to do at 40, since I've played those characters 5 times as long as 40 as leveling them up, but if I could go back I would have leveled up even slower, much slower, since the journey to 40 only happens once per character. :)

I used Oroboros in CoH as much more than just shortcut zone for this reason. There's something awesome about being able to tackle old missions while reverse-sidekicked.
    edited December 2010
    melkathi wrote:
    And then there is theme toons.
    Cowbot is leveling almost exclusively through the Desert. I log in the toon once every day or two, and do the repeatable mission in Snake Gulch, save all the hikers harassed by cowboy robots and defeat Ascii Oakley once. When myinventory is full, I run to Project Greenskin, defeat the ghost judge on the way, maybe a dozend irradiates for the 150 kill mission, empty my bags and run back to Snake Gulch.
    I've went to Snake Gulch at lvl 18 and am lvl 30 now, leaving the desert only for one Serpent Lantern run, one Destroyer Factory run and nemesis missions.

I do not expect Cowbot to reach 40 anytime soon. But he is the fastest cow in the west. Moo!

I fully support this. I have a chracter named "ehemmm" Lash lvling exclusivly through the Zombie Apch I'll pull him out for Blood Moon and that's about it.
    edited December 2010
    Squeee wrote:
    I used Oroboros in CoH as much more than just shortcut zone for this reason. There's something awesome about being able to tackle old missions while reverse-sidekicked.

I'd love to be able to do missions a character missed at 40 :p