test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sad Day at Speedknob's Lair

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I was an avid pnp player for years, and have a library of sourcebooks for dozens of games, including many for Champions and the Hero 5th edition.

Being older and busier with a family and a band, I haven't played in years. I do love to sit and read through the books, though. I keep them in the best condition I can, am very protective of my friends, the books.

The other day, my shelves collapsed! Some of my precious books now have scuffs and bends on the covers. :(

Thankfully, the real value, the knowledge, is in tact . . . but I was still a bit sad nonetheless.

I have Manhunter RPG, and the very rare RIFTS Manhunter sourcebook, and they made it without damage, so I am happy about that at least.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2010
    *Whistles innocently as he tries to hide the screwdriver from view*
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Atleast you didn't lose 6 boxes of comics to a flood....Big boxes....Made of cardboard....
    Once in awhile i still cry a little for my precioussess...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    FlyingFinn wrote:
    Atleast you didn't lose 6 boxes of comics to a flood....Big boxes....Made of cardboard....
    Once in awhile i still cry a little for my precioussess...
    Happened to me, too. Several large cardboard boxes of comics. Some from the 60's. Gone, Luke Cage #1. Gone, every issue of Devil Dinosaur, The Eternals, Machine Man, DNAgents, Rom, Moon Knight, etc. Hell I even had very old Casper, Spooky, Lil' Dot/ Lotta and Richie Rich. Not to mention Sad Sack.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aww...

I know what you mean, every time I look at my cardboard box filled with DnD books, I can't help but dread if something should ever happen to my babies...

Truth be told, I'm still kicking myself for having just bought only the PDF for "The Book of the Destroyer"; still that sounds like the best bet nowadays, though some pieces are truly irreplaceable.

Maybe treat yourself to something nice, soon it will just be a bad memory.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You want to talk about comics books, I'll tell you about comic books.

Six long white boxes, all bagged, tagged, and boarded.

A careless smoker flicked a lit cigarrette butt, and burned me out of my house for over two years.

Good news: The comics didn't burn.

Bad news: The firemen hosed down everything, including my comics, vigorously and thoroughly. Poly bags do not hold up to water at fire-hose pressures.

To this day, when I see someone flick a butt out of their car window, I have to fight the urge to strangle them.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Once had a bunch of Simpsons and some crappy Random House comics I had in a box on the floor that got ruined when I was a kid. The toilet in the bathroom nearby overflowed and the water crept into my room at night.

That was not a happy morning after at all.

That's terrible that your books got all beat up. Especially hard-bounds.