test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fantasy Champions - which sourcebook?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I'm at work and can't get the Hero games store website.....so, a question.

Which sourcebook would be best for backstory information for a 'fantasy' character that has ended up in modern day millenium city?

It's with reference to this supergroup thread: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=114856 I've got pre-existing DnD characters I'm looking to provide a Champions-Universe-appropriate backstory for.

Ta for any suggestions :)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2010
    You'd want to look at any of the following supplements:

1. The Turakian Age: This is probably your best bet. It's our best-developed Fantasy setting, and the one that Takofanes and a couple other characters/Champions Universe elements ultimately come from even if it's not part of the Champions Universe per se.

2. The Valdorian Age: This is an outside shot for a character, since it's a Swords And Sorcery setting with relatively little magic and no nonhuman races to speak of, but it's a great read. ;)

3. The Atlantean Age: This High Fantasy setting details Atlantis and the world prior to the Cataclysm that sank the fabled island beneath the waves. It's a very high-powered/mythic sort of Fantasy, with characters who can interact with the gods, so it could easily provide fodder for an intriguing Champions character.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I knew I could rely on you, Steve :)

I'll...well, to be honest, I'll probably just grab all three of them when I get home :) Are they all downloadable from the store?

Turakian sounds perfect for one of the character's I've already 'imported', Valadorian actually sounds like it could be pretty much perfect for the other :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Turakian age pdf - bought :)
    Age of Atlantis pdf - bought :)

No pdf for the Valdorian age, or not that I could see anyway :(....so bought the 'Tuala Morn' book, as that actually looks perfect for the other character I'm 'bringing over'.

Cheers Steve :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Turakian age pdf - bought :)
    Age of Atlantis pdf - bought :)

No pdf for the Valdorian age, or not that I could see anyway :(....so bought the 'Tuala Morn' book, as that actually looks perfect for the other character I'm 'bringing over'.

Cheers Steve :)

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=192035
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dardove wrote:

Yeah, I found the book, I was hoping there was a pdf download available - I'm impatient, I want my fix of Lore now! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunately I don't believe we have Valdorian Age available as a PDF. Initially we weren't selling PDFs of our books, and when we started doing it we had to go back and turn books into PDF as time and demand allowed. Some of our efforts in this area were derailed by the untimely death of our first Art Director, Andy Mathews, nearly two years ago. So while we still hope to get VA PDF'd at some point, it's not a priority right now.

Ack! How could I forget to mention Tuala Morn? It's one of my Top 5 favorite 5th Edition books and just one of my favorite settings ever in general. Anyhow, glad you found it, and hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Ack! How could I forget to mention Tuala Morn? It's one of my Top 5 favorite 5th Edition books and just one of my favorite settings ever in general. Anyhow, glad you found it, and hope you enjoy it!

Yes, that really, really comes across in the writing, it seems to have been something of a labour of love for you :)

And, yes, I'm really enjoying it :) Whilst I like the Champions sourcebook, it's written to the norms of a genre I'm really not familiar with. But I've read fantasy of every stripe, so in getting the sourcebooks for the fantasy settings I've really enjoyed just reading them.

The 'origin' story of Tuala Morn in particular was a rattling good read - lovely mythic tone, characters I immediately cared about, and I was left with a real interest in finding out more about the world - which is pretty much perfect for the introduction to a campaign setting, really :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Excellent, it appears my scheme has succeeded in this case! :D