test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In a world gone fowl, one Super-Chicken stands alone...(CaptainPoultry)

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Power Discussion
Here is my first Champions Online character to hit 40. I'm posting his powers/advantages/talents in order from level 40 to level 1 (I'm just copying everything from the Power Modulator screen).

CaptainPoultry has been a lot of fun to play and I'm not sure if I will be retconning him any time soon.

I started out following some ideas from Pulsewave's posts and radically changed over time, but thank you for the encouragement, and thanks to the many others who have offered tips for this noob.

If anyone has ANY ideas on how I can improve this toon, your input is VERY APPRECIATED.

ACROBATICS (Rank 3) (Rank 2)

FLIGHT (Rank 3) (Rank 2)

WALL OF ICE (Rank 1)

FORCE ERUPTION: GRAVITATIONAL POLARITY

SNOW STORM (Rank 2)

CHAIN LIGHTNING (Rank 3) (Rank 2): LIGHTNING HELIX (Rank 1)

ACROBATICS (Rank 1)

SNOW STORM: EYE OF THE STORM (Rank 1)

GIGABOLT (Rank 2): DEATH ARC

FORCE BOLTS: ENERGY REFRACTION

EYE OF THE STORM (Rank 2): BLADE BEYOND THE VEIL: ACCELERATED METABOLISM

REGENERATION (Rank 3) (Rank 2)

ENERGY SHIELD (Rank 2): LASER KNIGHT

THUNDERBOLT LUNGE (Rank 1)

GIGABOLT (Rank 1)

PYRE (Rank 1)

EYE OF THE STORM (Rank 1)

THERMAL REVERBERATION (Rank 1)

IONIC REVERBERATION (Rank 1)

ENERGY SHIELD (Rank 1)

REGENERATION (Rank 1)

FORCE BLAST (Rank 1)

FORCE ERUPTION (Rank 1)

FORCE BOLTS (Rank 1)

SUPER RECOVERY (Rank 1)

FLIGHT (Rank 1)

SUPER DEXTERITY (Rank 1)

THE HERO (Rank 1)

AMAZING STAMINA (Rank 1)

MARTIAL TRAINING (Rank 1)

PARAMILITARY TRAINING (Rank 1)

SURVIVAL TRAINING (Rank 1)

FIELD OPS TRAINING (Rank 1)

JACK OF ALL TRADES (Rank 1)

This is my first level 40, please be kind but at the same time let me have it with both barrels.

What should I change? What should I leave alone? Thank you for your time!!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    If you got to 40 and had fun playing, then the build is perfect...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    CaptainPoultry, I have but one question for you my dear chicken.

Which came first? The Chicken or the egg? We all need to know!

Also, congrats on level 40, I'm glad you had a blast getting there!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Grats on 40. Looks like a fun build, and that's what counts.

However, if you are looking for "improvement" I would say focus on something and go with it. Looks like you dipped into every element, which is fine by all means, but you are going to have a tough time keeping up with a more "fine-tuned" build like a Fire build or Elec build.

All in all, if you like it and enjoy it...keep it...if someone doesn't want you on their team because of it, that's their problem, not yours. You have a colorful character with colorful power choices...I like it.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    CaptainPoultry, I have but one question for you my dear chicken.

Which came first? The Chicken or the egg? We all need to know!

The chicken.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mirth81 wrote:
    If you got to 40 and had fun playing, then the build is perfect...

/thatrightthere
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Build by championBuilder 0.4.1

Download this Build here.

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Dexterity
    Level 13: Super Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts -- Energy Refraction
    Level 1: Force Blast
    Level 5: Force Eruption -- Gravitational Polarity
    Level 5: Acrobatics -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 8: Regeneration -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 11: Chain Lightning -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Lightning Helix
    Level 14: Thunderbolt Lunge
    Level 17: Pyre
    Level 20: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight, Rank 2
    Level 23: Snow Storm -- Rank 2, Eye of the Storm
    Level 26: Eye Of The Storm -- Blade Beyond The Veil, Accelerated Metabolism, Rank 2
    Level 29: Gigabolt -- Death Arc, Rank 2
    Level 32: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 35: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 35: Flight -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 38: Wall Of Ice -- Rank 2

Talents:
    Level 1: The Hero
    Level 6: Jack Of All Trades
    Level 9: Amazing Stamina
    Level 12: Martial Training
    Level 15: Paramilitary Training
    Level 18: Survival Training
    Level 21: Field Ops Training

Just because I had trouble looking at his format I put it into Champion builder format. I don't know the order of powers but they are all there.

Like they said it really is all over the place. The one thing that really confuses me is Energy Shield w/Laser Knight because that is used mainly by melee character's which you do not appear to be.

As for the chicken and the egg. The egg came first because dinosaur's had eggs before chickens existed.

**EDIT**
    added in eye of the storm
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Build by championBuilder 0.4.1

Download this Build here.

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Dexterity
    Level 13: Super Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts -- Energy Refraction
    Level 1: Force Blast
    Level 5: Force Eruption -- Gravitational Polarity
    Level 5: Acrobatics -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 8: Regeneration -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 11: Chain Lightning -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Lightning Helix
    Level 20: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight, Rank 2
    Level 23: Snow Storm -- Rank 2
    Level 26: Eye Of The Storm -- Blade Beyond The Veil, Accelerated Metabolism, Rank 2
    Level 29: Gigabolt -- Death Arc, Rank 2
    Level 35: Flight -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 38: Wall Of Ice -- Rank 2

Talents:
    Level 1: The Hero
    Level 6: Jack Of All Trades
    Level 9: Amazing Stamina
    Level 12: Martial Training
    Level 15: Paramilitary Training
    Level 18: Survival Training
    Level 21: Field Ops Training

Just because I had trouble looking at his format I put it into Champion builder format. I don't know the order of powers but they are all there.

Like they said it really is all over the place. The one thing that really confuses me is Energy Shield w/Laser Knight because that is used mainly by melee character's which you do not appear to be.

As for the chicken and the egg. The egg came first because dinosaur's had eggs before chickens existed.

You missed that I have Snow Storm rank 2 with Eye of the Storm.

Also I have rank 2 Eye of the Storm with Accelerated Metabolism and Blade Beyond The Veil.

So...the Rank 2 Laser Knight in a way does make sense... I hope.

Here is what I was thinking... Regeneration is running all the time, but during ACTIVE BLOCKING?? (But not inactive -- Laser Knight??) the regen will not work as well... not totally sure.

But anyway, I fire up Snow Storm and let it rip... Then I Turn on Eye of The Storm and since its a melee attack, while its running... with Laser Knight I'm then blocking...and the Snow Storm's Eye of the Storm and the Blade Beyond the Veil does damage to all the baddies pounding on me.

I'm not sure how well it works numerically because Cryptic likes to be well...
    Cryptic... in letting us know the exact numbers on powers.

Plus although I love Champions Online you guys need to put some substantial work into the power descriptions to make them more clear to understand.

But anyway to go over it again...

Snow Storm AND Eye of the Storm AND Energy Shield AND Regeneration, and even Thunderbolt Lunge to get me in their faces seems to work good together.

If anyone really understands how much Regeneration drops when i'm 'blocking but not blocking' please explain.

Also I fire off a Force Eruption for the Gravitaional Polarity bonus and/or sometimes a Pyre if I get held.

A lot of my build can be ranged spam but I can seem to hold my own in the center of a big group, i just sometimes tend to get overwhelmed.

This is my first 40 though so I KNOW there must be some gaping holes in this character that I can't see yet, so your help is still appreciated.

Also, if it helps at all, my main goal with this character is for it to be VERY powerful for soloing but at the same time useful in a group.

I also have a lot of recovery to try to buff my Regeneration as much as possible...but does it ever get to the point that you have so much Recovery that it doesn't help Regeneration anymore?

Also my energy builder Force Bolts has the Energy Refraction advantage that when it procs, I then have a window of time where I can fully charge a Gigabolt which is nice... BUT... there is this problem with FORCE BLAST... I don't use it... I don't want it. But because of the way we raise skills am I pretty much forced to get it? Or is there a go-around where I can skip it. I could use another skill there.

Also... for shooting big bosses... maybe I can dump chain lightning for lightning arc? I don't exactly know.

I'm not a big fan of Lightning Form, I don't currently have it... I don't even really know if the defense on it blows or not.

And the only fire skill I have is Pyre, so that is the only thing that takes advantage of Thermal Reverberation... but those times when I'm surrounded and fart out a Pyre those clinging flames if they proc = more energy to me.

Sorry I'm all over the place here, running on very litle sleep and a ton of caffine. I assume this post is chock filled with grammar and spelling errors so be gentle with me.

Thank you all on any feedback you can give.

I want to be able to SOLO Serpent's Lantern on the upcoming ELITE difficulty level. =)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Here is my first Champions Online character to hit 40. I'm posting his powers/advantages/talents in order from level 40 to level 1 (I'm just copying everything from the Power Modulator screen).

CaptainPoultry has been a lot of fun to play and I'm not sure if I will be retconning him any time soon.

I started out following some ideas from Pulsewave's posts and radically changed over time, but thank you for the encouragement, and thanks to the many others who have offered tips for this noob.

If anyone has ANY ideas on how I can improve this toon, your input is VERY APPRECIATED.

ACROBATICS (Rank 3) (Rank 2)

FLIGHT (Rank 3) (Rank 2)

WALL OF ICE (Rank 1)

FORCE ERUPTION: GRAVITATIONAL POLARITY

SNOW STORM (Rank 2)

CHAIN LIGHTNING (Rank 3) (Rank 2): LIGHTNING HELIX (Rank 1)

ACROBATICS (Rank 1)

SNOW STORM: EYE OF THE STORM (Rank 1)

GIGABOLT (Rank 2): DEATH ARC

FORCE BOLTS: ENERGY REFRACTION

EYE OF THE STORM (Rank 2): BLADE BEYOND THE VEIL: ACCELERATED METABOLISM

REGENERATION (Rank 3) (Rank 2)

ENERGY SHIELD (Rank 2): LASER KNIGHT

THUNDERBOLT LUNGE (Rank 1)

GIGABOLT (Rank 1)

PYRE (Rank 1)

EYE OF THE STORM (Rank 1)

THERMAL REVERBERATION (Rank 1)

IONIC REVERBERATION (Rank 1)

ENERGY SHIELD (Rank 1)

REGENERATION (Rank 1)

FORCE BLAST (Rank 1)

FORCE ERUPTION (Rank 1)

FORCE BOLTS (Rank 1)

SUPER RECOVERY (Rank 1)

FLIGHT (Rank 1)

SUPER DEXTERITY (Rank 1)

THE HERO (Rank 1)

AMAZING STAMINA (Rank 1)

MARTIAL TRAINING (Rank 1)

PARAMILITARY TRAINING (Rank 1)

SURVIVAL TRAINING (Rank 1)

FIELD OPS TRAINING (Rank 1)

JACK OF ALL TRADES (Rank 1)

This is my first level 40, please be kind but at the same time let me have it with both barrels.

What should I change? What should I leave alone? Thank you for your time!!

Given the title of this this thread; I think this link (link) is most appropriate. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Poultry in motion...

Oh well, its not Bobby McFerrin's Full Version of Say Ladeo << What I'm currently listening to. =) I highly recommend it.

((( Put "Bobby McFerrin Say Ladeo Full Version" in the Youtube search box now for an audio feast )))

I just remembered another thing I wanted to say.

Although I hate skills with a cooldown, Wall of Ice is useful... not for the short duration hold but its 100' range and it has a way of lining up the mobs in a nice line...

...setting them up for a Gigabolt =)

If anyone ever wants to run with me to see how the hodegepodge performs, I play a lot and love to team, plus that may help some of you C.O. veterans find out holes in my template that need plugging.

*continues to groove while listening to the song mentioned above while pressing the SAVE CHANGES button*
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Post deleted by KenpoJuJitsu3
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My chicken toon never made the transition from CoX to CO. I will have to take another stab at it now that all is said and done with the melee pass.

He was a bio-engineered chicken that saw his family brutally murdered and then dipped in batter and deep fried. He made it his life long mission to bring their murderer to justicel; the evil Major Flanders.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You need more chicken powers. Roar for the crow, claws, bite for the peck and take all types of grenades, say they are eggs and your build would be perfect
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And I MIGHT change to this... I'm going to be messing around a lot more with this on PTS, I don't know where to pull advantagepoints from to properly slot electrocute...

Not familiar much with Lightning Arc's advantage with working with Electrocute... so wondering if I should Rank 3 it or set it up differntly... Heck I might even dump Electrocute completely.... but I don't know of another decent skill unless I go back to the old beloved Ice Wall

The reason why I have Electric Form selected is I guess there will be times when Regeneration is not needed and if I set up another form with the right attributes to buff Electric Form I might be doing amazing damage.

Note... I have NO heals, I relied on Regeneration Form...and more than likely will need to fall back on it for boss fights... Is Lightning Arc rank 3 good enough for "drilling to death" the big bosses?

The other thing to consider is I hear Arcane has a 50 foot aoe cone attack that removes buffs... should I get that in place of something?

I'm just wondering if Running in Avenger Form + Electric Form is ultra crazy damage...

Once again I thank you all for your input and information.

Electric Form (Rank 3)
    Electrocute
    Form of the Unleashed Tempest
    Gigabolt (Rank 2, Death Arc)
    Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond The Veil)
    Snow Storm (Rank 2, Eye of the Storm)
    Regeneration (Rank 3)
    Energy Shield (Rank 2, Laser Knight)
    Sparkstorm (Electric Personality)
    Lightning Arc (Rank 3)
    Ionic Reverberation
    Chain Lightning
    Force Eruption (Gravitational Polarity)
    Force Bolts (Energy Refraction)

The Hero
    Super Recovery
    Super Dexterity
    Amazing Stamina
    Martial Training
    Paramilitary Training
    Survival Training
    Field Ops Training
    Jack of all Trades

Jet Boots
    Acrobatics
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This will remove force blast which you said you don't use and adds lightning arc

anon: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 1: Chain Lightning
    Level 5: Force Eruption
    Level 5: Acrobatics
    Level 8: Regeneration
    Level 11: Lightning Arc
    Level 20: Energy Shield
    Level 23: Snow Storm
    Level 26: Eye Of The Storm
    Level 29: Gigabolt
    Level 35: Flight
    Level 38: Wall Of Ice

talents and advantages as you see fit.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bobby McFerrin

Bobby McFerrin fans of the world unite! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iimMKWF7SK0
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've been messing around in the test server for awhile now and this is what I will be going with for the present time on live.

Any further advice on my template is always appreciated.

Electrocute (Superconductor)
    Sparkstorm (Electric Personality)
    Gigabolt (Rank 2, Death Arc)
    Snow Storm (Eye of the Storm)
    Form of the Unleashed Tempest
    Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)
    Thunderbolt Lunge
    Regeneration (Rank 3)
    Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
    Ionic Reverberation
    Force Eruption (Gravitational Polarity)
    Lightning Arc (Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Chain Lightning (Rank 3, Lightning Helix)
    Force Bolts (Energy Refraction)

The Hero
    Super Recovery
    Super Dexterity
    Amazing Stamina
    Martial Training
    Paramilitary Training
    Survival Training
    Field Ops Training
    Jack of all Trades

Jet Boots
    Acrobatics
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    With all those electric attacks it seems a shame you don't have electric form. You mentioned in SG chat that you really want to keep your survivability while using regen, so I would suggest trying superstating REC/END, picking up electric form instead of FotUT, and picking up bionic shielding instead of force eruption.

My reasoning is that force eruption's buff is lost in the sea of damage buff that is electric form, bionic shielding helps you handle smaller amounts of incoming damage, and when things get really rough you can switch to regen and pop all your other defensive abilities. The nice thing is that regen heals more when your health is already low, so switching builds when your health is down works out surprisingly well (also long as you don't get 1 shotted before your regen kicks in!).

Edit: I'm not sure whether to suggest bionic shielding or masterful dodge to keep you alive in avenger form. I'm lvling an electric toon in avenger form right now. I have both, but like bionic shielding more because it's usable more often. YMMV.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sometimes I wish I had went a full electric build, but I wanted something different.

And the synergy of Eye of the Storm with all of its related advantages and other skills that it works with, plus the other skills I can pop when held I really like.

Unless a monster is hitting me terribly hard I can get in its face and survive and when its hitting me its hurting itself.

I do wish I had waited a bit longer on the respect until I knew more, because the first time I hopped into a PVP Instance I just happened to get on a 1 on 1 with someone else who was electric.

They explained to me the importance of that advantage that makes people stop blocking... Sigh. Not sure how it works... If I add that advantage to even a power builder... how long do they stop blocking?

And is it useful at all in PVE?

I kinda admit that my first toon in most MMO's winds up being my PVE grouping endgame content / farming toon but if I can tweak it a little here and there I can make it more pvp viable.

Also as a new player I'm a bit addicted to Regeneration.

I need to learn more about Bionic Shielding and Electric Form.

I may make another electric characer and make it more conventional... also that Energy Storm (not sure on skill name but its the one that requires completion of Vibora Bay Crisis and 10 skills in energy tree).... is it any good?

I like not having to charge Pyre anymore. Just hit one button and Sparkstorm goes to work while I can do other things or hold Eye of the Storm.

I'm probably going to make a might toon dedicated to pvp like many others have also.

I have an issue with not getting to roll on many items on a Nemcon Run so I need to go post about that bug now :(