What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Guide to Bio Formatting

2»

Comments

• zalkenaizalkenai Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Also, as help for people's character lengths:

If you have a font color that spans several paragraphs, you don't need to write the font color tag twice. For example, I've seen this a few times in this thread:

<p><font color="orange">dummy text dummy text dummy text</font></p>

<p><font color="orange">more dummy text</font></p>

When you could have written:

<p><font color="orange">dummy text dummy text dummy text</p>

<p>more dummy text</font</p>

Saving yourselves a bunch of characters. Cheers.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No doubt this has been mentioned before, but if you're using <p> and </p> to put in a double line break, you do not need the <p> in the beginning.

If you just use a </p> at the end of every sentence that needs a double line break, it'll turn out fine. Save you a few characters at least.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chakamomachakamoma Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yup looks like i can
  • joeblow3joeblow3 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Uhhh. Isnt there an easier way to do this other than having to type in a strange PC code like a programmer?

I love making bios for my characters in CoH but there It was easier all you had to do was type normally.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In Champions Online one does not simply type ones bio.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • bronxthebeastbronxthebeast Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    joeblow3 wrote: »
    Uhhh. Isnt there an easier way to do this other than having to type in a strange PC code like a programmer?

I love making bios for my characters in CoH but there It was easier all you had to do was type normally.

CoH was probably the simplest MMO, yet offered so much creativity...and I hate saying 'was', especially on today's date.

CO is more dynamic, and in the long run offers a lot more choice and freedom. It's more complicated because of that, but if you take the time to learn it, you'll find a world of expansive options and customization that everyone only dreamt of in CoH!

...Kind of. But if you want to make a CoH-style, mostly simple description, just use <br> wherever you want a line break, and use two of them (eg., <br><br>) for a new paragraph. That's all you really gots to worry 'bout!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Primus Database: Bronx
    Primus Database: Brogan
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The only thing I do for my bio formatting is add </p> at the end of a paragraph, and <b> and </b> for boldface, a convention I'm used to from message forums. They come out looking pretty good and quite readable.

The only advice I'll add is about content. The primary purpose of my bios is not the elaborate telling of my character's story (that's what PDB is for), though if I have room, that will go in. The main point I like to get across is to answer the question: "What would someone reasonably know about this person". At least for RP, having that information up front is important.

Now Cryptic, let's talk about being able to read my nemesis's bio... :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • synthozoicsynthozoic Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So does bio form and the client support and render DIV, SPAN and CSS?
  • acrosscatacrosscat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    synthozoic wrote: »
    So does bio form and the client support and render DIV, SPAN and CSS?

And on that note, any way to have URLs work again in a bio? The format for such via
    <a href="http://www.google.com/">Google</a>

doesn't seem to work ingame anymore - probably due to account security matters or malign pages being opened.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swebb3ddswebb3dd Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    CANT FIGURE OUT FONT HELP
    :confused::confused::confused:
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It really irks me that character Bios aren't user friendly. Most people don't bother with a bio, and if they're like me, write a nice long bio for each of their characters only to have it show (completely unbeknownst to them) as an unreadable wall of text. I only just discovered this thread after months and months of playing this game.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    guyhumual wrote: »
    It really irks me that character Bios aren't user friendly. Most people don't bother with a bio, and if they're like me, write a nice long bio for each of their characters only to have it show (completely unbeknownst to them) as an unreadable wall of text. I only just discovered this thread after months and months of playing this game.

Sadly the issues with the bios not being WYSIWYG are fixed in STO. You don't have to put in formatting codes and everything else to make sure it looks right. Makes me wish we had that version of the Cryptic Engine.

Also, you can target yourself and type in /targetinfo to see how your bio looks to the rest of the world. Might be mentioned above, but just an FYI.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    Well, I would never say that our bios are worse than STO ones.

Ours are working, while STO has bio bug making them unreadable at random. Most of the time you can't read bios of other people at all. :biggrin:
  • stjobestjobe Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    swebb3dd wrote: »
    CANT FIGURE OUT FONT HELP
    :confused::confused::confused:
    The <font> tag currently only parses one attribute, and that's color.

So you can do e.g. <font color="slate">slate-coloured text</font>.
    You can get bolded text with <b>bolded text</b>, or italicized text with <i>italics!</i>.

That's about the extent of it now though.

Note to self: Update and re-post this guide with the current rules/limitations, images, and tips and tricks. Make it so, self!
    Answer to self: Done! See http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=263621